F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mod week, feeding the addiction

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2020, 07:34 AM
Received 198 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Mod week, feeding the addiction

First a shoutout to the collective and a really great group of people.
Unhingd, Therock88, Brucethequail and many more, thank you for your help and inspiration.
I have owned the car for 9 months and consider it one of the most beautiful designs ever created. If not for this forum I would have been happy to leave it stock and just enjoy.
However........that did not happen and once infected my addiction began.
This weeks mods are as follows:

P7 grille install, could not have happened without the mighty Unhingd ( including what I hope is the proper bumper beam that facilitates correct position of the tow hook )
I will take comparison pics with measurements for those considering relocating the tow hook on their stock beams.
Thanks to Cambo for finding what we think is a P7 only part number, fingers crossed that it is not welded in 🤞

Jaguar fixed rear wing. ( this has been covered and Therock88 has a awesome DYI pdf on doing this, thank you Sir )

Mods completed :

BC forged wheels ( perfect offsets thanks to Unhingd )
Sides sills and front sills wrapped ( thanks to Brucethequail )
Front splash guards ( thanks to Therock88 and whoever did this first, sorry can’t remember exactly)
Pudle lights ( thinks this was the collective so thanks to all )

Wish me luck folks, going to be a fun next few days. I won’t have time or the talent to do a step by step but will make time to post pictures and report any issues.
Also, step one is to get my new Quick Jack up and running to get the beast off the ground.

MM

The following 4 users liked this post by madmax1911:
BruceTheQuail (08-02-2020), datriani (04-26-2021), Tork Monster (10-10-2020), WayneB (08-01-2020)
Old 08-01-2020, 11:02 AM
Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by madmax1911

P7 grille install, could not have happened without the mighty Unhingd ( including what I hope is the proper bumper beam that facilitates correct position of the tow hook )
I will take comparison pics with measurements for those considering relocating the tow hook on their stock beams.
Thanks to Cambo for finding what we think is a P7 only part number, fingers crossed that it is not welded in 🤞

MM
If you don't mind my asking but how much did it cost for the bumper beam and did you need any other parts to go with it? I may be interested in doing this for my P7 grill in the future if I ever need to take the nose off my car.
Good luck on the Mods.Thumbs up

Thanks,
Wayne B.

Old 08-01-2020, 12:06 PM
Received 273 Likes on 190 Posts

Also, step one is to get my new Quick Jack up and running to get the beast off the ground.
Which Quick Jack did you get? I'm looking at the BL5000EXT as I'm thinking the SLX will be too short. I'll also be using it with the F Pace, so looking at the truck adapter kit. What are your thoughts?

Old 08-01-2020, 04:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

MM
Make sure you bleed the air out of the hydraulics or they won't go up and down evenly. I had to do it three or four times before all the air was out and I followed the directions very closely.

The Quickjack was the best addition to my garage in many years.

Old 08-01-2020, 04:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WayneB
If you don't mind my asking but how much did it cost for the bumper beam and did you need any other parts to go with it? I may be interested in doing this for my P7 grill in the future if I ever need to take the nose off my car.

Thanks,
Wayne B.

I too am curious. I am in need of bumper grille parts for my 15' F-type but am considering going this route instead.

TIA

Old 08-01-2020, 06:52 PM

Thanks,
Wayne B.
You will also need the grille surround and grille (3 separate pieces) total was $3200
long story on why so much, short version is that Britcar would have been $1500 if they could have gotten the parts but they could only get the surround, so the other two parts came from my local dealer at a premium..
None of this can happen without a P7 vin#

Originally Posted by JacksonvilleJag
Which Quick Jack did you get? I'm looking at the BL5000EXT as I'm thinking the SLX will be too short. I'll also be using it with the F Pace, so looking at the truck adapter kit. What are your thoughts?
I went with the BL5000 SLX, I was worried the EXT would be too long. The SLX is perfect, just long enough.
A bit of a pain to get setup but once done it is epic. Still placed jack stands under the front lust in case.

The following users liked this post:
JacksonvilleJag (08-02-2020)
Old 08-01-2020, 07:04 PM

Well I got a lot further than I thought I would today 👍

The first big news is that the bumper beam is indeed a bolt on and the tow hook location is different.
I have taken measurements for those of you with mad welding and fabrication skills.

The following 2 users liked this post by madmax1911:
Cambo (08-02-2020), DJS (08-02-2020)
Old 08-01-2020, 07:09 PM

Here is the stock bumper bar, all the measurements are the same except the location.

Cambo (08-02-2020), WayneB (08-01-2020)
Old 08-01-2020, 07:19 PM

Getting the nose off was easy, getting the old grille out without damaging any of the snap clips was difficult but if you take your time and are gentle it can be done.

Old 08-01-2020, 07:49 PM
Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

You will also need the grille surround and grille (3 separate pieces) total was $3200
long story on why so much, short version is that Britcar would have been $1500 if they could have gotten the parts but they could only get the surround, so the other two parts came from my local dealer at a premium..
None of this can happen without a P7 vin#

I went with the BL5000 SLX, I was worried the EXT would be too long. The SLX is perfect, just long enough.
A bit of a pain to get setup but once done it is epic. Still placed jack stands under the front lust in case.

Thanks,
I already have my P7 grill installed. Just want to see if it's worth pulling the nose back off and replacing the bumper beam, so I can get the car towed if needed with out risking damage?

Wayne B.

Last edited by WayneB; 08-01-2020 at 08:06 PM.
Old 08-01-2020, 07:52 PM

Tomorrow I need to fabricate the parking sensor holders and extend the wires.
Should be able to put it all back together if all goes well,

supersportmtl (08-04-2020), Therock88 (08-02-2020)
Old 08-01-2020, 08:00 PM

Thanks,
I already have my P7 grill installed. Just want to see if it's worth pulling the nose back off and replacing the bumper beam, so I can get the car towed if needed with out risking damage?

Wayne B.
Sorry Wayne, didn’t realize you already had the grille.
The bumper beam was $800 at the premium price.
Now that the exact location is known, a skilled fabrication shop could move your original one. With a little extra bracing it would be as strong as an original.

The following users liked this post:
WayneB (08-01-2020)
Old 08-01-2020, 08:36 PM
Received 224 Likes on 166 Posts

Tomorrow I need to fabricate the parking sensor holders and extend the wires.
Should be able to put it all back together if all goes well,

high interest in the sensor wiring/extension steps. I bought some 24 gauge and read how people described doing it but have never seen photos. Also, where did you buy the growler? Was wondering if the 85mm ones on eBay are worthwhile and if they come apart to custom paint them. Also, did you buy the sensor retaining clips and the 3D printed sensor mounts? Hoping to get as much insight into this so I can do mine without having to disassemble and then stop to order parts, thanks and great photos thus far.

Old 08-01-2020, 09:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Originally Posted by gg2684
high interest in the sensor wiring/extension steps. I bought some 24 gauge and read how people described doing it but have never seen photos. Also, where did you buy the growler? Was wondering if the 85mm ones on eBay are worthwhile and if they come apart to custom paint them. Also, did you buy the sensor retaining clips and the 3D printed sensor mounts? Hoping to get as much insight into this so I can do mine without having to disassemble and then stop to order parts, thanks and great photos thus far.
Plenty of OEM 85 mm grille badges on Fleabay or you can take a risk with the (much) cheaper Chinese knock-offs.
Yes, the OEM badge comes apart into three pieces so you can paint whatever piece you want then put it back together, I did that on my F-Type a couple of years ago.
The badge is held on by nothing but the ubiquitous grey badge adhesive, just lever it off by sticking a suitable (ie small) plastic trim removal tool between the edge of the badge and the backing plate. If you are careful you can peel the adhesive off the badge as you remove it so it all stays on the backing plate, ready for refitting.
Then on the back of the badge is a small screw, undo that screw and it falls apart into two pieces then you can lever the chrome surround ring off if you want.

Old 08-01-2020, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Plenty of OEM 85 mm grille badges on Fleabay or you can take a risk with the (much) cheaper Chinese knock-offs.
Yes, the OEM badge comes apart into three pieces so you can paint whatever piece you want then put it back together, I did that on my F-Type a couple of years ago.
The badge is held on by nothing but the ubiquitous grey badge adhesive, just lever it off by sticking a suitable (ie small) plastic trim removal tool between the edge of the badge and the backing plate. If you are careful you can peel the adhesive off the badge as you remove it so it all stays on the backing plate, ready for refitting.
Then on the back of the badge is a small screw, undo that screw and it falls apart into two pieces then you can lever the chrome surround ring off if you want.
I was planning to leave the OEM grill in tact (with badge) for refitting or resale to make up the costs for my P7 parts. Also still trying to decide weather to fit it as is or clip one of the honeycombs and carve a half moon out prior to painting so it will accommodate the tow hook.

Old 08-02-2020, 01:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking to buy OEM front grille components if you guys are selling. Mine has a bunch of broken clips.

Old 08-02-2020, 06:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 985 Likes on 565 Posts

Here is a donor Growler badge I modified in steps of taking it apart. Also, it IS 85 MM for the grille.

DC

Old 08-02-2020, 07:57 AM

Thanks, IVe seen the disassembly before, and I would love to have a carbon fiber badge (A little contrast and to match the carbon accents I’m ordering) but the only ones I see look like simulated carbon. I like the red background, but thinking I may paint it rhodium silver to match the car and the outside and growler in gloss black like the grill. Also thought about buying a couple and doing the surround and growler in silver and the background In gloss black or some combination of black or,silver with the red background since it ties in the center caps and brakes, like a lot you, I obsess over the details. Also getting anxious to start my grill project; having another surgery this week and still have a few other things going on the R and my other rides.

Last edited by gg2684; 08-02-2020 at 08:14 AM.
Old 08-02-2020, 08:04 AM

I ordered parking sensor holders from a guy in California but they won’t arrive in time, I didn’t realize they needed such a long lead time. Unhingd did a drawing a while back and I will use that as a template to fabricate my own. When the order does arrive I will see if any forum members want them.

The growler is the original, pulled apart and painted. I figured I can buy a replacement if I ever pass along the car. Like many on here, all the mods can be reversed if a new owner so desires.

Old 08-02-2020, 08:19 AM

Moving slow today, not as young in body as my mind thinks I am and my lower back has seen better days.

While watching Silverstone qualy last night it occurred to me this would have been a great time to install the Mina intake system, should have planned a little better and got it ordered

At least I will be able to check the stock filters and see if they need replacing.

Quick Reply: Mod week, feeding the addiction