F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mod week, feeding the addiction

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2020, 08:27 AM
Received 224 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by madmax1911
Moving slow today, not as young in body as my mind thinks I am and my lower back has seen better days.

While watching Silverstone qualy last night it occurred to me this would have been a great time to install the Mina intake system, should have planned a little better and got it ordered

At least I will be able to check the stock filters and see if they need replacing.
Funny, that’s exactly what I’m trying to do, plan for every eventuality while I have the front off. I hate the idea of shaping the side of the surround to fit a tow hook, but I think I hate the idea of doing it like a caveman if it needs to be towed. If I do shave the surround, I’ll have to install and mock up and the take apart to wet sand and paint the grill so the cut out looks a little more “planned”, but then it’s a couple days to paint the surround, color sand, clear, wet sand flat and polish and the reinstall. If I was just installing the grill, it would be one day and done - although being lowered and not having a fancy loft like the wealthy contingent here, the bumper will likely be a bit more cumbersome to remove, but should be easier to align sensors etc.

Old 08-02-2020, 08:57 AM
Received 198 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by gg2684
Funny, that’s exactly what I’m trying to do, plan for every eventuality while I have the front off. I hate the idea of shaping the side of the surround to fit a tow hook, but I think I hate the idea of doing it like a caveman if it needs to be towed. If I do shave the surround, I’ll have to install and mock up and the take apart to wet sand and paint the grill so the cut out looks a little more “planned”, but then it’s a couple days to paint the surround, color sand, clear, wet sand flat and polish and the reinstall. If I was just installing the grill, it would be one day and done - although being lowered and not having a fancy loft like the wealthy contingent here, the bumper will likely be a bit more cumbersome to remove, but should be easier to align sensors etc.
The lift was $1400, not cheap by any means but I have other projects down the line, so should be a good investment for me.

Now that my coffee has kicked in I realize I screwed up and shouldn’t have installed the grille just yet.
I will have to take it apart again so I can take it upstairs to my shop to fab the parking sensor holders

Old 08-02-2020, 09:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

The lift was $1400, not cheap by any means but I have other projects down the line, so should be a good investment for me.

Now that my coffee has kicked in I realize I screwed up and shouldn’t have installed the grille just yet.
I will have to take it apart again so I can take it upstairs to my shop to fab the parking sensor holders
Just PM Meister_Kajo and order a pair from him. Those will snap right into the grille honeycombs. (I think he used my design).

Old 08-02-2020, 10:16 AM
Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

The QuickJack is on sale at Costco right now, "$200 manufacturer's savings is valid 7/30/20 through 8/24/20. While supplies last. Limit 2 per member."
I have seen it at $400 off on occasion if you keep an eye out for the ads. These include shipping to your house which can be expensive since they are a bit heavy.

https://www.costco.com/quickjack-5%2...100666851.html

Wayne B.

Old 08-02-2020, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Just PM Meister_Kajo and order a pair from him. Those will snap right into the grille honeycombs. (I think he used my design).
I made them already, not my finest work but they look okay.
Taking a break and try to decide if it is worth all the work to lengthen the wires. By turning them with the wires towards the center I just have two thin black lines behind the grill, if I turn them towards the outer corners then I will lengthen the wires. Just not sure I can hide them any better by glueing them to the honeycomb.
Tried taking a couple pics with a light background ( much lighter than when on the car) to see if the wires bothered me, I am getting paralysis through analysis again

Old 08-02-2020, 03:16 PM

A couple pics without extending the wires

Old 08-02-2020, 03:31 PM
Received 224 Likes on 166 Posts

I made them already, not my finest work but they look okay.
Taking a break and try to decide if it is worth all the work to lengthen the wires. By turning them with the wires towards the center I just have two thin black lines behind the grill, if I turn them towards the outer corners then I will lengthen the wires. Just not sure I can hide them any better by glueing them to the honeycomb.
Tried taking a couple pics with a light background ( much lighter than when on the car) to see if the wires bothered me, I am getting paralysis through analysis again
I can totally empathize with you which is why I mentioned that I am watching with interest. I have been doing some minor mods on the F-type and some other cars; mostly small stuff that I have been putting off for a while, but I fear getting started and then changing course and having the project take 2 weeks. Not that I am in a rush, but I will work on something until it meets expectations (which are lofty). Sometimes the simple solution is the most elegant, but I also like to consider all options to optimize results, and sometimes that requires taking a step back and maybe even sleeping on it.
BTW, how did you secure the sensors into the mounts?

Last edited by gg2684; 08-02-2020 at 04:22 PM.
Old 08-02-2020, 03:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 985 Likes on 565 Posts

A couple pics without extending the wires

Those look good! You must have a 3D printer. Probably something I need to get someday! Nice job.

DC

Last edited by Therock88; 08-03-2020 at 06:48 AM.
Old 08-02-2020, 03:35 PM
Veteran Member

I didn’t add any extensions (nor the cable housing). There’s enough slack in the wire to hang below the surround. The original wiring is is tiny enough not to be visible once the nose is back on the car.

Old 08-02-2020, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by gg2684
I can totally empathize with you which is why I mentioned that I am watching with interest. I have been doing some minor mods on the F-type and some other cars; mostly small stuff that I have been putting off for a while, but I fear getting started and then changing course and having the project take 2 weeks. Not that I am in a rush, but I will work on something until it meets expectations (which are lofty). Sometimes the simple solution is the most elegant, but I also like to consider all options to optimize results, and sometimes that requires taking a step back and maybe even sleeping on it.
BTW, how did you secure the sensors into the mounts?
They are a press fit and will have dab of black silicone when final adjustment is done.

Old 08-02-2020, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Therock88
Those looks good! You must have a 3D printer. Probably something I need to get someday! Nice job.

DC
Nope, just hacked them out of 5/8 starboard (marine plastics).
Bandsaw, disk-belt sander and a mill (use it more as a glorified drill press).
I would love a 3D printer , maybe when I retire.

Old 08-02-2020, 07:06 PM

I didn’t add any extensions (nor the cable housing). There’s enough slack in the wire to hang below the surround. The original wiring is is tiny enough not to be visible once the nose is back on the car.
Probably should have gone that way but talked myself into extending the wires.

Old 08-02-2020, 08:50 PM

Last one off the day, just hanging there with only half the bolts.
Really wanted to get it hung will the SO was home, it is definitely a two person job.

Old 08-02-2020, 09:50 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah, good way to scratch the paint if you try to do it with just one person.

Old 08-02-2020, 10:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 895 Posts

Those pictures show the similarity to the XK front end that I never really noticed before.

How do you like the wrapped sills? Gives it more waist IMO. I'm going to have the sides of my torso wrapped in black and see if it has the same effect.

Old 08-02-2020, 10:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Yeah, good way to scratch the paint if you try to do it with just one person.
I ripped the front clip off my old XFR and put back on again two or three times on my lonesome, and I had two "secrets" to doing it without any paint damage:
1. Lay a blanket on the floor where you intend to deposit it.
2. Stick a prop under one side while you pull the other side off and vice versa. I used a standard plastic bucket turned upside down but you need to place it "just right".
Odds on the F-Type front clip is as feather light as the XFR front clip was as both are thin ABS plastic.

Old 08-03-2020, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
Those pictures show the similarity to the XK front end that I never really noticed before.

How do you like the wrapped sills? Gives it more waist IMO. I'm going to have the sides of my torso wrapped in black and see if it has the same effect.
Lol, let me know if the slimming affect works for you, might start a business.
I really do like the wrapped sills, I better because I have paid for them twice !!!
Long story, first shop did such a bad job that I didn’t want to take it back for a redo. Unfortunately the second shop is going to have to redo their work due to bubbles forming. So hopefully the third time is the charm 🤞

Old 08-03-2020, 08:05 AM

[QUOTE=madmax1911;2269826]You will also need the grille surround and grille (3 separate pieces) total was $3200
long story on why so much, short version is that Britcar would have been $1500 if they could have gotten the parts but they could only get the surround, so the other two parts came from my local dealer at a premium..
None of this can happen without a P7 vin

Just realized I made a typo, the total for all three parts was $2200 NOT $3200.
Sorry for any confusion this may have caused.

Old 08-03-2020, 02:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 895 Posts

Lol, let me know if the slimming affect works for you, might start a business.
I really do like the wrapped sills, I better because I have paid for them twice !!!
Long story, first shop did such a bad job that I didn’t want to take it back for a redo. Unfortunately the second shop is going to have to redo their work due to bubbles forming. So hopefully the third time is the charm 🤞
I didnt have that issue, but I left the last 10mm bare rather than wrapping it around the edge and that might have let the air out.

Old 08-03-2020, 07:36 PM

Well today was a mixed bag.
Got the front end bolted up, gaps look great. Got the rear end debadged, looks much cleaner.
Then it was time for the fixed wing install......crap.
I had printed TheRock88’s instructions weeks ago, read the part about the pentalobe bolts and thought, man I have hundreds of bits of all shapes and sizes, I must have a couple of those.
I even casually checked my tool box and sure enough, I am good.
Well not so fast skippy, those were security torx bits not pentalobes 👎
So I spent half the afternoon running to every auto parts and tool store in my area, no dice.
The fastest I can get them is Wednesday....crap.
So tomorrow I will see if I can make one.
Almost forgot, the sensors worked perfect, no adjustments needed.( work as well as they did previously, they go from orange to red at about 18 inches)

MM

Quick Reply: Mod week, feeding the addiction