F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which model has a louder exhaust sound note?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 05:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which model has a louder exhaust sound note?

Hi everyone,

I will be in the market soon to acquire a new vehicle. My main goal this time is to have a great exhaust sound note, and thats why I got my eyes set on the Jaguar F Type.

Now, I am pretty much certain that the R model will have the loudest and best exhaust sound note, and maybe followed next by the F-Type S V8. My question is: between the F-Type Base and F-Type S. Which one will give me the best/loudest exhaust sound and crackles? Considering I don't care about the silent/stealth exhaust mode.

Thanks everyone.

Old 02-28-2015, 05:28 PM

Oh, correct me if I'm wrong about R and the V8 S being the loudest and second loudest exhaust from all the models.

Thanks

Old 02-28-2015, 05:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

You won't get any kind of definitive answer here. They are all very loud. The V8 has a deeper, thumping bass note, and the V6 is a higher frequency, more like an Italian exotic. They all pop and crackle because that's the way the ECU is programmed on all models.

The following users liked this post:
BfStuNoodle (02-28-2015)
Old 02-28-2015, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Foosh
You won't get any kind of definitive answer here. They are all very loud. The V8 has a deeper, thumping bass note, and the V6 is a higher frequency, more like an Italian exotic. They all pop and crackle because that's the way the ECU is programmed on all models.
Thanks for the fast response. So in another word the R or the V8 sounds more like America muscle cars? lol :P

So no significance difference in exhaust sound between the Base and the S?

Thanks again

Old 02-28-2015, 06:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BfStuNoodle
Thanks for the fast response. So in another word the R or the V8 sounds more like America muscle cars? lol :P

So no significance difference in exhaust sound between the Base and the S?

Thanks again
Exactly, the V8s are more "American muscle."

On your other question, there will be differing opinions on that. There's no difference between the base and S V6 engines per se in terms of loudness (or between the V8S and R V8 engines for that matter). However for the V6 cars, some base '14 and '15 base models do not have active exhaust. Mine is one of them, and it is still the loudest OEM exhaust I've had on any car. It even exceeds some aftermarket exhaust systems I've installed on other performance cars.

To complicate things, some base cars do have active exhaust. To make it even more complicated than that, some active exhaust cars have a switch to turn it on and off, and others don't--it automatically opens and closes depending upon throttle position.

In test drives, I really couldn't tell the difference between base without active exhaust and V6S with it, but I would guess the V6S with the active exhaust valves OPEN is slightly louder than a base car without active exhaust. On the std. base exhaust system, there are no valves to open or close, it's open all the time.

My perception is that non-active exhaust cars are louder than active exhaust cars with the valves closed. Others might disagree.

My apologies, but this is difficult to explain. I tried to make it as simple as is possible. However, to boil it down, the only possible loudness difference will be between a base V6 car without active exhaust and one with it. All other models have active exhaust.

Last edited by Foosh; 02-28-2015 at 06:31 PM.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 232 Posts

A quick answer from my experience would be the V8's make noise all the time whereas the V6's sing pretty much on decel and WOT...

As a base V6 owner who thinks this thing is a hoot, I say if you want to be good and obnoxious,get the V8...you will not be disappointed.

Old 02-28-2015, 08:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 251 Likes on 140 Posts

I believe the V8 at full noise is probably the loudest.

Took mine through a tunnel yesterday in Sport with the exhaust on. I nearly cried laughing when I saw heads in other cars, with their windows closed, furiously looking around for the source of the noise.

Old 02-28-2015, 09:24 PM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I have the base v6...trading from an xkr with a Mina exhaust system... the XKR sounded like gorgeous American muscle car...i should know as i have a couple of 60's mustangs...and their exhaust note is really exciting. I've had my 67 out on Formula racetracks...and i cannot tell you what it feels and sounds like to hit 130mph in that car. With that being said...the v6 will hit 150mph without even twitching...and i'm sure it will go much faster.
To me, none of these Jaguars sound anything like American Muscle...they are much closer to Italian sports cars in note. I was sitting next to a maseratti yesterday..and his car was sounding louder...and like a real beast compared to the JAG, but the note was very very similar (he may have had a tuned exhaust....it was loud for a Maseratti).
I think the V8 f type sounds a bit deeper and sexier for sure, and i agree that there does not seem to be much difference between the v6s and v6.
I am considering having Mina Gallery make an exhaust for this car...they did such an awesome job on the XKR. They think they will make the 6 sound like the 8...
i'm sure that will also change the performance....it dramatically improved the XK's performance.

Old 02-28-2015, 10:58 PM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I increased the sound of my base V6 a bit by doing a resonator delete last summer and have no drone in the cabin.

I have emailed Quicksilver to see when they will be completed developing their exhaust for the V6 and they said it should be completed in a few more weeks. The sound is going to be bonkers...and I would think much more of a head turner than even the V8s and R models.

Old 02-28-2015, 11:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

Some reviews/people say the V8S in the convertible is actually louder than the V8 R Coupe. There's a few videos of the V6 vs V8...The V6 is probably the best sounding V6 out there.

Old 02-28-2015, 11:45 PM
Received 173 Likes on 125 Posts

IF you have the cash and maximum exhaust is your most important criteria then I would go the V8 S or R.

But my V6S is plenty loud enough for me, far louder than any other car I have driven or owned. It's up there with far more exotic and expensive cars with much larger engine capacity.

Old 02-28-2015, 11:49 PM
Veteran Member

Any of the convertibles with the top down is louder to the occupants than any of the coupes.

With regard to V6 vs. V8, the deeper, thumping, bass notes of the V8 are probably perceived as louder by many. Lower frequencies are almost always perceived as louder than higher frequencies by most humans at the same measured decibel level.

In terms of measured decibel levels at full throttle, it wouldn't surprise me if they were all close to the same. As in most things, it all depends . . . It's a lot like that dress color thing that lit up Twitter last week. Some saw blue and black (it was), and others swore it was white and gold.

As I said earlier, they are all loud. In my experience, it's the first OEM exhaust I haven't considered exchanging for something aftermarket.

Schwabe (03-02-2015)
Old 03-01-2015, 12:04 AM
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

This recent discussion seems relevant
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...my2016-137349/

Old 03-01-2015, 12:12 AM
Received 102 Likes on 66 Posts

V8 S is best and loudest by some db. I have tested all.

With the top down its even louder!!!!!

Foosh (03-01-2015)
Old 03-01-2015, 12:31 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by alexg
V8 S is best and loudest by some db. I have tested all.

With the top down its even louder!!!!!
Gotta trust the sound expert's equipment, but perception is often different than reality, and every listener is a bit different.

As I reflect back on my car choices over the last 4 decades, it's amazing to me the different phases I've been through. For the last decade, I was fixated on big power V8s (M3, RS4, Shelby, Corvette Z06), but in driving all the F-Types to decide which to buy, I found myself far more drawn to the exotic sound of the V6, which I much preferred. Perhaps it was because I was too familiar and getting bored with that V8 muscle sound and was ready for something new and more exotic.

I've entered yet another phase . . .

Last edited by Foosh; 03-01-2015 at 12:52 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-01-2015, 01:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,604 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by BfStuNoodle
Hi everyone,

I will be in the market soon to acquire a new vehicle. My main goal this time is to have a great exhaust sound note, and thats why I got my eyes set on the Jaguar F Type.

Now, I am pretty much certain that the R model will have the loudest and best exhaust sound note, and maybe followed next by the F-Type S V8. My question is: between the F-Type Base and F-Type S. Which one will give me the best/loudest exhaust sound and crackles? Considering I don't care about the silent/stealth exhaust mode.

Thanks everyone.
Greetings and welcome!

You'll forgive me for saying this - and please do not take it the wrong way - but "best" exhaust sound note is completely subjective. It's not on the same level as a young Forum member previously asking which automobile would be the most attention-getting [read = flashy] but within the same sort of context.

I totally get that between different models (and of F-Type's) and different modifications - you name it - personal preference is and should be, stating the redundant and obvious, personal preference. If you desire "X", you should have "X". (And for some, "Y" and "Z" too).

"Most" attention-getting, "most" loud, "most" anything is - I suspect - not the primary criteria the vast majority on this Forum used in making the decision to buy an F-Type (although with - it seems to me - a preponderance of V8's here I well could be wrong; very wrong). It's much more likely based on the total package...as it should be.

Any and all F-Type's in my opinion are inherently attention-getting (whether that's something which matters to you or not) and all are wickedly, unequivocally, and unapologetically loud. In my opinion the V6/V6S exhaust struck the perfect balance in sound quality, tone, and "loudness" - music to my ears - whereas the V8 was simply over-kill and not something I would choose to live with on a daily or even semi-daily basis. Glorious sounds coming from any of the 8's? Absolutely! And I would love drive it...just not own it.

In the end - and at 2:09 AM ET - it all comes down to what's important to you (the only opinion which really matters) but this is one of those questions which I just think is moot.

Best regards and best of luck. You're not going to be wrong or disappointed in the least with any F-Type (at least I don't think you will be).
RJ52

Last edited by RickyJay52; 03-01-2015 at 07:07 AM.
Mulmur (03-01-2015)
Old 03-01-2015, 01:25 AM
Veteran Member

Put another way (I think) - and something I know of and which I use in my profession as a commodity broker - it comes down to [personal] perception. Like:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/28/bu...weighs-in.html

Old 03-01-2015, 07:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
Put another way (I think) - and something I know of and which I use in my profession as a commodity broker - it comes down to [personal] perception. Like:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/28/bu...weighs-in.html
It also has a lot to do with the screen technology and brightness setting of the devices on which people are viewing the picture. For those of you who see white and gold, just squint real hard and the dress goes to blue and black. In our case of exhaust note, its the technology across which we are recording and listening (and our own ears) that determines what we actually hear.

Old 03-01-2015, 09:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by lhoboy
It also has a lot to do with the screen technology and brightness setting of the devices on which people are viewing the picture. For those of you who see white and gold, just squint real hard and the dress goes to blue and black. In our case of exhaust note, its the technology across which we are recording and listening (and our own ears) that determines what we actually hear.
I tried squinting really hard and the only effect it had was that her breasts popped out ??
Lawrence

Old 03-01-2015, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lhoboy
One thing's for sure; the loudest stereos are the ones which go to "11".

Quick Reply: Which model has a louder exhaust sound note?