F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Modify Stock V8 F-Type Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2018, 01:46 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Modify Stock V8 F-Type Exhaust

Hello Everyone, I've been looking into buying an Velocity AP valvetronic muffler but the price is so high. ( Jaguar F-Type Sport Exhaust Sport Sound Level ) In order to save some money I figured I would just modify the stock exhaust to be similar to this one when the valves are open, but just as quiet as stock when closed. I'm planning to have someone I know fab it up for me for $200 (fair price). I'm sure any local fab shop could do this as its fairly simplistic. Attached is the plan, blue lines represent new pipe that will get welded in, red line represents a welded disc to close off the opening.

I think this will produce a nice sound with the stock cats and an even beastlier sound with 200 cats.

Thoughts? Think it will sound just as good or better? I'll post a video after it done but most likely not till spring as shes tucked away in storage at the moment.

Old 12-24-2018, 02:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by mj1903
Hello Everyone, I've been looking into buying an Velocity AP valvetronic muffler but the price is so high. ( Jaguar F-Type Sport Exhaust Sport Sound Level ) In order to save some money I figured I would just modify the stock exhaust to be similar to this one when the valves are open, but just as quiet as stock when closed. I'm planning to have someone I know fab it up for me for $200 (fair price). I'm sure any local fab shop could do this as its fairly simplistic. Attached is the plan, blue lines represent new pipe that will get welded in, red line represents a welded disc to close off the opening.

I think this will produce a nice sound with the stock cats and an even beastlier sound with 200 cats.

Thoughts? Think it will sound just as good or better? I'll post a video after it done but most likely not till spring as shes tucked away in storage at the moment.

I suggest you avoid the 200 cell cats. They tend to make the car sound too raspy.

Old 12-24-2018, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd

I suggest you avoid the 200 cell cats. They tend to make the car sound too raspy.
Sorry I probably didn't make that very clear, I personally don't intend on the 200 cell but I'm sure there are others out there looking at that option.

Old 12-24-2018, 03:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

You're really not changing much...

The following users liked this post:
zmoothg (12-24-2018)
Old 12-24-2018, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Stohlen

Thank you, I was looking for this diagram but couldn't find it. Since the Velocity one is similar, here are my thoughts. The lower sound from the velocity exhaust will come out more with this mod, however I believe you will loose some DB's, so the mod will not be quite as loud because the flow goes more easily into the muffler than directing to the outside, also the exhaust gas that does go through the muffler (as some will in both scenarios) will be more muffled since I'm sure the velocity exhaust is louder then stock when the valves are closed. This should created a nice lower sound that will not be quite as loud as the open valves on the velocity but definitely louder and lower than the stock valves open as you can see there are still resonance holes in the pipe before exiting to the valve open side. If the new pipes are joined to the existing pipe at a better than 90 degree angle to help with flow, I think this will give you a happy medium between the beloved velocity and the unadulterated stock. However with valves closed, you have the same quiet sound as stock, to me that is a plus when driving home at 3 am where you pretty much want a completely quiet car lol.

Just my thoughts about it but thank you for the diagram, I'll spend some more time studying the internals to see how this will differ from the velocity. Technically i guess this is going to be a valvetronic 'stock/super sport' sound level lol

Old 12-24-2018, 04:45 PM

The goal would be to achieve a sound with a bit higher quality when the valves are open, little less raspiness and crudeness as the valvetronic velocity when normal driving with the valves open. Full throttle sounds great because the DB's drown out the undesirable soudns I would say. I'm pretty excited to hear what this mod will sound like.

Here is the velocity valvetronic, there are quite a number of people who really like the velocity sound according to posts on the forum.

Old 12-24-2018, 05:41 PM
Veteran Member

I don't think that's true. Note the perforations in the collector that is valved back out again when valves are open on the OEM. Those perfs into the muffler body serve to attenuate the noise. The Open valve circuit on the VAP doesn't go through the muffler body, nor would a homemade by-pass.

mj1903 (12-24-2018)
Old 12-25-2018, 10:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Note the perforations in the collector that is valved back out again when valves are open on the OEM. Those perfs into the muffler body serve to attenuate the noise. The Open valve circuit on the VAP doesn't go through the muffler body, nor would a homemade by-pass.
No argument there, but unless the OP makes some serious changes, a significant portion of the airflow is going to go through the muffled portion of the exhaust. Even if the connecting portion is tapered, the airflow still tends to go straight under high velocity. To make this work, you'd need to have the by-pass be straight tubing with the muffled portion running off of that.

Old 12-25-2018, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 302 Likes on 173 Posts

You'll get more sound out of it for sure. I've actually been thinking of doing the same for the V6 exhaust as I to think $1800+ for a muffler is quite a bit...

What I would suggest would be that rather than cutting and installed the new piping at a 90 degree angle, to see if you can weld at the lowest degree possible. Basically create a Y-pipe with the new tubing as opposed to straight tubing with a 90 tacked on. That might give you a bit more flow through the open pipe.

Old 12-25-2018, 06:29 PM
Veteran Member

No argument there, but unless the OP makes some serious changes, a significant portion of the airflow is going to go through the muffled portion of the exhaust. Even if the connecting portion is tapered, the airflow still tends to go straight under high velocity. To make this work, you'd need to have the by-pass be straight tubing with the muffled portion running off of that.
All true. That’s probably why the VAP sounds so good, as the flow for the open pipe is straight. When the valves are closed, the flow has to take a sharp 90 degree bend to go through the muffler.

Last edited by Unhingd; 12-25-2018 at 06:47 PM.
Old 12-25-2018, 07:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 302 Likes on 173 Posts

The best option would be one where you can actually fine tune the sound in real time via cutouts. Below is what I would do. By installing cutouts in the spots with the orange boxes, you can divert all, a portion, or none of the exhaust through the muffler.

From my understanding these cut outs allow you to open as little or as much as you'd like as opposed to fully opened or fully closed. If you want loudness somewhere in the middle, you can set it that that setting and forget it exists.

Modify Stock V8 F-Type Exhaust-1slkclj.png
This is a good set from my understanding: https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/30881/10002/-1

Old 12-26-2018, 11:52 AM
Banned
Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by mj1903
The goal would be to achieve a sound with a bit higher quality when the valves are open, little less raspiness and crudeness as the valvetronic velocity when normal driving with the valves open. Full throttle sounds great because the DB's drown out the undesirable soudns I would say. I'm pretty excited to hear what this mod will sound like.

Here is the velocity valvetronic, there are quite a number of people who really like the velocity sound according to posts on the forum.
https://youtu.be/pefuij0qKbU
Not a fan of the drone. Why would anyone change the F-Type's exhaust?

Old 12-26-2018, 08:42 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It sounds good stock, just too quiet.

Old 12-29-2018, 09:14 AM
Received 71 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by vonhaaas27
It sounds good stock, just too quiet.
You must be joking. If a stock V8 F-type is quiet to you then buy a monster truck.

Old 12-29-2018, 11:26 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,482 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by vika01
... then buy a monster truck.
Or a hearing aid!

Old 12-29-2018, 03:58 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's loud for a stock car, but I couldn't hear it with the windows down so I had to change it.

Jaggyx (12-29-2018)
Old 01-07-2019, 02:08 PM
Received 149 Likes on 75 Posts

i have VAP catless pipes and VAP Valvetronic sport/touring exhaust, its amazing! Its somewhat loud on cold start, and its loud with the valves open...but where the magic happens is valves closed. Its a great overall tone, no raspy edge or tinging just a deep tone across the entire RPM range. When i want to make a scene (and a few guys here will vouch for the "loud" noise it used to make, unhingd, DJS, etc) i just open the valves and make my neighbors hate me even more.

at idle:

RichardCranium (04-28-2020)
Old 01-07-2019, 05:55 PM
Banned
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

We're doing some exhaust mods this week.

Old 01-08-2019, 07:00 AM
Received 149 Likes on 75 Posts

just for reference:

Stock F-type V8 Exhaust

Stock F-type V8 Exhaust

Stock F-type V8 Exhaust

Old 01-12-2019, 06:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been looking at aftermarket exhaust options also and I noticed Velocity had a 20-25% off deal in December for a bunch of f type parts including the exhaust. Unfortunately you'd have to wait another 11 months to get that deal.

There's also the quick silver exhaust which is 1800 but it doesn't come with a valve to open or close so it'd be loud all the time.

Quick Reply: Modify Stock V8 F-Type Exhaust