F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The mods begin...

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2017 | 06:50 PM
|
Default The mods begin...

Finally pulled the trigger and ordered up several new parts... Storm wheels, sport cats, pulley, tune, springs, smart top and spacers. Have to say I'm very excited to complete everything! Part of the mods I wanted to do was to install the white vinyl decals that come on the P7 car and I want to replicate them as close as possible. Are these a part that can be ordered or are there specs in a service manual that show placement and sizing for the door dots and hood stripe? My local vinyl shop has a plotter and does great work but getting the exact measurements would be all I need. If there's someone here with the resources to take a look at it I would greatly appreciate it... a lot! Thanks so much!

The following users liked this post:
Mbourne (04-07-2017)
Old 04-07-2017 | 07:23 PM
Veteran Member

See this thread for some info about the Project 7 hood stripe: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...aphics-157947/

Old 04-07-2017 | 07:28 PM

Looking forward to updates!

Old 04-07-2017 | 07:29 PM
|

Originally Posted by OzXFR
See this thread for some info about the Project 7 hood stripe: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...aphics-157947/
Thank you OzXFR but unfortunately there are some conflicting measurements there which is why I decided to try again with a new thread.

Old 05-09-2017 | 07:42 PM
|

The F-Type has been in the shop for a few days getting some goodies installed. One surprise were the 15mm spacers I had installed with the new Storm wheels. The mechanic told me that no grinding of the studs was necessary so the Storm wheels must have different gaps than the other Jaguar wheels. I'm looking forward to seeing (and hearing) all the new mods!

Old 05-09-2017 | 09:03 PM
Veteran Member

Did you get the VElocity sports cats. Their video of the exhaust sound with cats seemed to smooth the sound of the exhaust note nicely.

Old 05-09-2017 | 09:07 PM
|

Originally Posted by jaguny
Did you get the VElocity sports cats. Their video of the exhaust sound with cats seemed to smooth the sound of the exhaust note nicely.
I did get the Velocity sport cats. I hope I do not lose any of the ridiculous pops and crackles. I was very explicit with Stuart (from Velocity AP) about that and he assured me that if anything it will amplify those sounds.

Can you be more specific to what you mean by "smooth?"

Old 05-09-2017 | 09:16 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BigDuke
I did get the Velocity sport cats. I hope I do not lose any of the ridiculous pops and crackles. I was very explicit with Stuart (from Velocity AP) about that and he assured me that if anything it will amplify those sounds.

Can you be more specific to what you mean by "smooth?"
The sound of the video recording seemed to be more mellow (purring?) but not in a bad way. I wouldn't want the pops and crackles to disappear either.

Old 05-10-2017 | 08:05 PM
|

The sound of the video recording seemed to be more mellow (purring?) but not in a bad way. I wouldn't want the pops and crackles to disappear either.
Initial impressions after picking up the car today.... AWESOME! It's definitely louder although I don't know how quite to explain it. All I can say is anyone looking for even better sounding exhaust should give Stuart a call at Velocity AP and order up some sport cats!

The spacers and springs definitely improved the appearance as well.

The following 2 users liked this post by BigDuke:
Desert Dawg (05-10-2017), jaguny (05-11-2017)
Old 05-11-2017 | 12:23 AM

The spacers and springs definitely improved the appearance as well.
Pics?

Old 05-11-2017 | 01:37 AM
|

Originally Posted by Greggbhill
Pics?

Coming soon 😁

Old 05-11-2017 | 04:28 AM
Veteran Member

Coming soon 😁
Are the cats an easy install? Can I ask how much you paid to have them installed? How does the exhaust cutout work with them? Are they louder when cutout is closed? Also, I see you have the V6 so wouldn't be a direct correlation to the 8.

Old 05-11-2017 | 07:07 AM

What spacers did you use? I will be ordering some of the springs from Stuart in the near future. From the pictures I have seen of other who have lowered and added spacers I really like that look, so interested in adding some spacers at the same time.

Old 05-11-2017 | 08:03 AM

Awesome! Good luck with your build, anxious for pics

Old 05-11-2017 | 02:38 PM
|

Originally Posted by curscott
What spacers did you use? I will be ordering some of the springs from Stuart in the near future. From the pictures I have seen of other who have lowered and added spacers I really like that look, so interested in adding some spacers at the same time.
I used the spacers from Larry at Motorsport Tech. I went with the 15mm and black finish. The only thing I have left to do is have the old badging removed and replaced with new gloss black emblems that my local body shop painted and has ready for me. Unfortunately the front bumper also has to come off in order to remove the chrome grill surround so that it can be painted white to match the P7 look.

The car is turning out great. I just need some free time to actually drive it and the some photos.

curscott (05-11-2017)
Old 05-11-2017 | 02:41 PM
|

Are the cats an easy install? Can I ask how much you paid to have them installed? How does the exhaust cutout work with them? Are they louder when cutout is closed? Also, I see you have the V6 so wouldn't be a direct correlation to the 8.
The cats were a pretty easy bolt on install from what my local mechanic told me. The only thing he told me was that he had to transfer over a part from the original ones... mounting piece or something. I paid $550 for the cats and upper pulley to be installed. I have the V8. Not sure what you're referring to by "cut out."

jaguny (05-11-2017)
Old 05-11-2017 | 03:37 PM

The cats were a pretty easy bolt on install from what my local mechanic told me. The only thing he told me was that he had to transfer over a part from the original ones... mounting piece or something. I paid $550 for the cats and upper pulley to be installed. I have the V8. Not sure what you're referring to by "cut out."
By "cut out," he's referring to the switchable active exhaust.

jaguny (05-11-2017)
Old 05-11-2017 | 03:44 PM
|

Originally Posted by jfranks
By "cut out," he's referring to the switchable active exhaust.
Gotcha. Swapping the cats had no effect on the active exhaust.

jaguny (05-11-2017)
Old 05-11-2017 | 07:27 PM
Veteran Member

Unfortunately the front bumper also has to come off in order to remove the chrome grill surround so that it can be painted white to match the P7 look.
I'm actually going the opposite direction: wrapping the P7 surround with chrome film. Not trying to make it look like a P7...just prefer the nose without the crossbar.

Last edited by Unhingd; 05-11-2017 at 07:32 PM.
Old 05-17-2017 | 11:56 PM
|

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I'm actually going the opposite direction: wrapping the P7 surround with chrome film. Not trying to make it look like a P7...just prefer the nose without the crossbar.

So yours must be blacked out to begin with. The only piece I'm changing to white is the front grill surround. I'm de-chroming the rest of my car. Bought all new badges and my local body shop is blacking them out. They did some custom color on the R, R-AWD and front center growler badge so I'm anxious to see how those turned out.