Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Module replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2022, 03:15 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Module replacement

2017 X152

Big project, had water damage. Could call it a swimmer. I have to replace a large amount of modules. My question is which modules have to be vin coded for car to work and which ones does the system not care about. I have already purchased a new BCM, new KVM used GWM, and PBM. I have a total of 14 more modules to purchase and would like to buy yused if I can. But will buy new the ones that have to programed with VIN. Also which ones of modules can be programed with SDD and which if any need to use TOPIX. I have tried to program the BCM and get a identifier module security error. Just need some direction from people who have more knowledge than me. I have had this car for 3 years and it has been setting due to lackof time on my part and now I am restarting this project.

Old 10-29-2022, 03:42 PM
Received 136 Likes on 110 Posts

Can't help regarding your specific question, but:
If it was submerged in salt water, it's downright evil. Not just on the ends where it gets in, but it wicks many feet up into the wires, eventually evaporates, leaving the salt to continue its nastiness (corrosion). Even fresh water is bad to some degree because it has "some" amount of salt in it. Not saying that the car won't work, but be prepared to have to replace wire harnesses as well, maybe a long time later.

Old 10-29-2022, 03:59 PM

I have went through the car already and it had very little noticable damage just fried a bunch of modules. must have went in the water then was pulled right out very little corrosion.

Old 12-05-2022, 05:12 PM

You are able to use any module for the this car. None have to be specific new or from factory. I would try to match up the BCM and the PCM and immobolizer and kvm and keys. The car doesnt really car about anything else.

Old 12-10-2022, 08:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bcm/pbm

Hello it seems like u have a lot of knowledge about these cars , I have a 2011 xjl and the bcm in the middle of rear seat got wet , do u know if can just replace with another one with came part numbers or do I have to buy one and get it programmed, reply would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-11-2022, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by dontay23
Hello it seems like u have a lot of knowledge about these cars , I have a 2011 xjl and the bcm in the middle of rear seat got wet , do u know if can just replace with another one with came part numbers or do I have to buy one and get it programmed, reply would be greatly appreciated.
I would try to get a cheap replacement on ebay. Match exact numbers. Then test. Makes sure part numbers match. Are you using ids to program.

Old 12-11-2022, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by citadeltcs
I would try to get a cheap replacement on ebay. Match exact numbers. Then test. Makes sure part numbers match. Are you using ids to program.
that’s what I am asking do I have to program it , I have a doner car , but no way of programming bcm

Old 12-11-2022, 07:26 PM

The only way to find out will be to move over the BCM and try. I purchased a new one and bought used ones. The best luck I had is when I purchased BMC PCM and Imobilizer together with matching VIN and Keys, but I have keyless so I dodnt have to deal with a standard key that goes into ignition. Also I have the SDD software and the programer. So I am not in the same situation as you. As I said before I would swap the part that you have and see what happens. What your curious to know is does the PCM need the BCM Vin to match in order to work, and I cant answer that exact question. As for the keys, these are stored in the KVM, which it feeds to the BCM and PCM. If the KVM is bad or doesnt work then the immobilizer can work for the key if you hold it to the dash which pulls the old key infor from the BCM.

This is in the case of keyless.

Also just as a point, my BCM is completely covered with a coating to protect it, so as for it getting wet in my case it would have to be completely soaked, or wet while the car was running. Just having some water on it or a pop spill probaly wouldnt do it.

Old 12-11-2022, 07:27 PM

If yopu have a doner car then you might have to move over bcm pcm and rfa/kvm keys and imoobilizer.

Old 12-11-2022, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by citadeltcs
If yopu have a doner car then you might have to move over bcm pcm and rfa/kvm keys and imoobilizer.
yes I have a doner car so I need the bcm , pcm, the key , where is immobilizer located

Old 12-12-2022, 12:56 AM

Not sure for that car, my manuals don't cover that car your going to have to do some research. I can only speak for the car I have and am working on.