F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More blower noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 02:24 PM
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Nice work Gibbo.

Do you really think you need to have something custom fabricated? I feel like it'd be possible to clamp on some generic intake tubing, just to see what the effect is. If you get a ton more whine, then it may be worth having some nicer parts made.

Old 04-04-2018, 02:48 PM
Received 131 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by alphakinase
Nice work Gibbo.

Do you really think you need to have something custom fabricated? I feel like it'd be possible to clamp on some generic intake tubing, just to see what the effect is. If you get a ton more whine, then it may be worth having some nicer parts made.

Well I am sure generic tubing of a similar size would work fine for sure and if more whine was apparent be worth while getting a pair of originals to be copied with that did not include the thicker wall/muffler but as to airflow there is nothing restricting that in the tube at all and as such I'd expect zero power gains.

Old 04-04-2018, 03:05 PM
Received 856 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by Gibbo205
Hi there

OK parts 3 & 4 arrived, checked them out at dealership and decided to not go ahead with the purchase.

You can see from the image attachments the airflow is not restricted in anyway, there is no gauze or hydrocarbon or pre-cat type device in the tube at all unless of course they have been changed at some point during manufacturing.

Now of course the mid section is much thicker but trying to gut that would prove quite difficult and by doing so you'd then upset the air flow unless you smoothed out the internal walls.

I am quite sure that the thick mid-section absolutely reduces supercharger whine as the design looks to suppress noise and not impede airflow.

As such I feel the best solution would be to give sections 3 & 4 to a fabricator to have copied but without the centre bulge and as such a thinner wall and either made from carbon, FRP or ABS plastic all that matters is the internal diameters are kept as close to stock as possible with as smooth airflow as possible.

If there are any other parts people can suggest I look at on the intake system I shall do so.

Does anyone have an image of the interior of the air box from the V8? As maybe that also has carbon trap and/or Helmholtz resonator inside?
We do aluminum. I'm thinking this could be a good product for us to to take on.

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

The following users liked this post:
FR500GT (04-05-2018)
Old 04-04-2018, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
We do aluminum. I'm thinking this could be a good product for us to to take on.
YES!

But please just copy these sections, I want to retain the stock air boxes, stock maf tubes etc.

But maybe you could go aluminum on these section 3 & 4, maybe sections 7,8 and 9 connecting to the throttle body too if you feel there would be further acoustic advantage or possible to speed up the flow a little to generate a few extra horses though feel Jaguar probably got the intake spot on horsepower wise as I believe they tested it upto 700PS.

All I would say is aluminum heat soaks worse than this stock material so maybe keeping it to just sections 3 & 4 is best and it would be nice if they were anodised matt black to better match rest of stock system and not look out of place under the hood.

Would certainly be very interested particular if the price can remain around $200-$300 area, maybe group buy potential if after you make a sample set there is a gain in SC noise, you can see from this thread there are several people here who want a nice easy mod for more SC whine.

Guess you could claim some weight saving too as they were quite chunky heavy items.

Last edited by Gibbo205; 04-04-2018 at 03:33 PM.
Old 04-04-2018, 03:41 PM

YES!

But please just copy these sections, I want to retain the stock air boxes, stock maf tubes etc.

But maybe you could go aluminum on these section 3 & 4, maybe sections 7,8 and 9 connecting to the throttle body too if you feel there would be further acoustic advantage or possible to speed up the flow a little to generate a few extra horses though feel Jaguar probably got the intake spot on horsepower wise as I believe they tested it upto 700PS.

All I would say is aluminum heat soaks worse than this stock material so maybe keeping it to just sections 3 & 4 is best and it would be nice if they were anodised matt black to better match rest of stock system and not look out of place under the hood.

Would certainly be very interested particular if the price can remain around $200-$300 area, maybe group buy potential if after you make a sample set there is a gain in SC noise, you can see from this thread there are several people here who want a nice easy mod for more SC whine.

Guess you could claim some weight saving too as they were quite chunky heavy items.
We are going to make some drop-in performance filters as well so that + a tube would work. I can look at the cost of ceramic coating in satin black as well.

www.velocityap.com

Old 04-04-2018, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
We are going to make some drop-in performance filters as well so that + a tube would work. I can look at the cost of ceramic coating in satin black as well.

Thank you, please do sell sell these tubes separate from the filters as I'd rather keep the stock filters unless with filters and these tubes replaced you can show a true gain from the parts even on a none tuned car though I can't see any extra power coming from filters even on a tuned car let alone a tuned one.

I think if people want power, best way is tune, followed by pulleys, followed by highflow cats, anything else would likely be sub 5HP and not felt.

So the question is when can you have some ceramic coated satin black tubes for us all buy?

Old 04-04-2018, 04:43 PM

Thank you, please do sell sell these tubes separate from the filters as I'd rather keep the stock filters unless with filters and these tubes replaced you can show a true gain from the parts even on a none tuned car though I can't see any extra power coming from filters even on a tuned car let alone a tuned one.

I think if people want power, best way is tune, followed by pulleys, followed by highflow cats, anything else would likely be sub 5HP and not felt.

So the question is when can you have some ceramic coated satin black tubes for us all buy?
The filters will probably make 4-5BHP. And yes, tune, pulley, downpipes is the logical progression.

www.velocityap.com

Old 04-04-2018, 07:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,239 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Gibbo, I have opened up one of the air boxes on my V6 and it had no restrictions/baffles/resonators in it, it is simply a box to hold the air cleaner element with an unrestricted opening at each end. I am 99% sure the V8 and SVR air boxes are identical to the V6 air boxes.

Gibbo205 (04-05-2018)
Old 04-04-2018, 11:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by XJ8JR
Those holes inside look like some sort of muffler function.
+1. Take some epoxy and plug all of those holes. That will reduce the sound deadening characteristics of that section of pipe.

Don1954 (04-11-2018)
Old 04-05-2018, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
+1. Take some epoxy and plug all of those holes. That will reduce the sound deadening characteristics of that section of pipe.
Not something I am willing to try, though I am sure they would not come unstuck, I am not gonna risk it.

Shall see what Stuart comes up with from Velocity, he knows this is a mod we all want and as long as the price is kept fair I am sure he will sell a lot of kits.

For me personally it would be nice to say have two kits:

- Muffler delete intake aluminum satin black ceramic coated pipes: $249 approx
- Above but also with a pair of high flow filter: $399 aprox (5-10HP and a touch more noise)

I like the idea of just muffler delete intake pipes, in theory should be able to fit those without removing bumper as you can get to those from under the hood so the install would be a relative easy and not so time consuming DIY.

Panel filters on a forced induction engine, I'd just rather stick with stock, plus the fact that to change those filters results in having to dismantle a lot more of the car and thus making it far more time consuming.

Old 04-05-2018, 06:22 AM
Veteran Member

Gibbo, there is little work and almost no "dismantling" involved in changing out the air filters.
Six simple steps:
1. Get the front end up on axle stands, 20 cm off the ground is plenty
2. Remove the front plastic undertray - lots of bolts across the front, two in the middle, two in the rear, two screws each side in the wheel wells, plus any winglets etc first (usually four screws each side)
3. Loosen off the large metal clamp which holds the airbox to the outlet tube and pull it off the tube (only needs to go 30 mm or so)
4. Undo the screws which hold the bottom of the airbox to it's top half, 6 IIRC
5. Remove the old air filter from the bottom of the airbox and replace with a new filter
6. Reassemble - just reverse steps 1 to 4.

You should be able to do both sides in 60 minutes, and cut that to 30 minutes if you have a hoist handy.

The following 3 users liked this post by OzXFR:
BruceTheQuail (04-05-2018), DJS (04-05-2018), Gibbo205 (04-05-2018)
Old 04-05-2018, 02:58 PM
Received 151 Likes on 104 Posts

There is not much difference between the eventuri tubes and the stock tubes, other than one is plastic and the other is carbon. I am guessing most of the whine I am now hearing is coming from changing out the stock filter housing. My guess is if you want whine, just change out the stock filter boxes to a cone.

Going to metallic tubes might help though since they will help the whine from the supercharger vibrate to the filter increasing the whine.

BruceTheQuail (04-05-2018)
Old 04-06-2018, 05:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

On a G60-engined car I used to own, the easiest way to get more supercharger noise was to remove the sound baffles from inside the inlet side (before the filter element) of the air box.

Similarly, the supercharged mini I owned could be retrofitted with an air box that had a flap that opened on the inlet side allowing more noise out.

So what - if anything - is inside the actual air boxes?

Old 04-06-2018, 05:32 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by F-typical
On a G60-engined car I used to own, the easiest way to get more supercharger noise was to remove the sound baffles from inside the inlet side (before the filter element) of the air box.

Similarly, the supercharged mini I owned could be retrofitted with an air box that had a flap that opened on the inlet side allowing more noise out.

So what - if anything - is inside the actual air boxes?
See post #128 - there is nothing inside the air boxes other than the filter elements.

Old 04-06-2018, 05:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

Okay, so those resonators above the air boxes have to go.

Old 04-06-2018, 06:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by F-typical

Similarly, the supercharged mini I owned could be retrofitted with an air box that had a flap that opened on the inlet side allowing more noise out?
That flapper was set to open at 4000 rpm. I disconnected the solenoid and keep it open all the time. Sounds like a jet engine at 7000 rpm.

Old 06-11-2018, 11:40 AM
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Interested to hear how you guys get on. I'm in search of more whine from my XFR-S Sportbrake. Just about to pull the trigger on a stainless steel intake Y piece. Thinking of swapping out the stock filter boxes as well but concerned about the heat soak.

Old 06-11-2018, 12:10 PM
Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts

In the last video, he's got a VAP tune...

Isn't is mostly the tune that's improving the sound, if not almost entirely?

I'd like to hear a video without a vap tune. I don't think just intake will give anywhere near the whine you hear in the video there.

Old 06-11-2018, 08:38 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Puntoboy
Interested to hear how you guys get on. I'm in search of more whine from my XFR-S Sportbrake. Just about to pull the trigger on a stainless steel intake Y piece. Thinking of swapping out the stock filter boxes as well but concerned about the heat soak.
Chris,
I have reported elsewhere on this forum that when I applied the VAP "without pulley" tune to my V6 the SC whine didn't change, it was still almost non-existent, but as soon as I put the larger lower/crank pulley and associated tune on I got heaps of SC whine, especially under WOT. Apparently that is because the 2nd tune closes the SC bypass valve (inside/on top of the SC) more and sooner.
I haven't yet seen any F-Type V8 owners with the lower pulley upgrade and associated tune reporting this same effect, so who knows if it even exists on the V8, but I can't see why VAP would have this feature in the V6 tune but not the V8 tune.
Bottom line - if one or more V8 owners chime in and confirm they are now getting lots of SC whine as a result of the VAP "with pulley" tune then that is the way you should go as well. Never mind that the pulley and tune will take you from 550 PS to 610 PS+!

Old 06-11-2018, 08:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,305 Likes on 897 Posts

Gooday. Does the VAP "with pulley" tune affect warranty? Mine is out of warranty at the end of this year and I could extend the warranty or maybe I should just spend that money on the tune and pulley...or both...