Sponsored by:

Most Collectable F-Type?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2018, 10:16 AM
V8S
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PolkNole

The coupe is the car collectors will want. That’s the car that dropped everyone’s jaw. And 15 is the first year for the coupe. RWD is going to be very rare as only a few hundred 15 Rs exist even today in the US.
The coupe is a good looking car, but Jag released the first impression as a convertible for good reason. Top down price up.

The following users liked this post:
Uncle Fishbits (08-10-2018)
Old 07-29-2018, 12:48 PM
Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

I expect at some point the F will be more valuable than its contemporaries mostly because of the looks and low production numbers. Which one? A vert with gills and a V8 earlier the better.

Old 07-29-2018, 05:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 727 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by Suaro
I expect at some point the F will be more valuable than its contemporaries mostly because of the looks and low production numbers. Which one? A vert with gills and a V8 earlier the better.
+1. But of course I'm biased with a lowish VIN 2014 V8S. of course it's wishful thinking that only my son may profit from someday.

Old 07-29-2018, 05:41 PM
Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

Not sure what planet your from v8s, read other threads you've posted in and you certainly don't help yourself.
I bought one of the first V8R coupes in the country to my own spec (uk) so owned it 4 years now, i've never had any of the issues you talk of.
Also i know and meet with other f type owners on a regular basis and none have said they wish there was a 8 speed mt, so go figure!!

JgaXkr (07-29-2018)
Old 07-29-2018, 06:26 PM
V8S
Banned

Originally Posted by Timbo
Not sure what planet your from v8s, read other threads you've posted in and you certainly don't help yourself.
I bought one of the first V8R coupes in the country to my own spec (uk) so owned it 4 years now, i've never had any of the issues you talk of.
Also i know and meet with other f type owners on a regular basis and none have said they wish there was a 8 speed mt, so go figure!!
Its always nice to coverse with someone who introduces themself by spewing a handful of insults, it shows a certain polish and maturity level so rare to come by in America.

I'm not the only one who thinks the stick design is an accute safety hazard. One post describes how the guy almost died from a T bone due to the nanny button and brake requirements after an accidental neutral, which should never happen. Feel free to press the park button while moving and video what happens. Mine SLAMMED into park while moving, when a young passenger grazed the raised P button. Jag should issue a safety recall and change all the 8-speed control sticks to a smarter, safer design.

As for no one wanting a V8 manual, not. Pretty much every published review I've watched or read complains. Jay Leno even asked a VP of Jaguar for an MT version during his garage episode while revieiwng the V8S on camera, after he drove the 8 speed P7. The party line seems to be that the 6MT is too weak for the V8. Bad answer.

Last edited by V8S; 07-29-2018 at 06:33 PM.
Old 07-29-2018, 07:05 PM
Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

You americans (well you anyway) are very sensitive lol, all i said was i dont know what planet your from.
How is that spewing a handful of insults lol.
There are 1000's of f types out there and you've found one post that you think backs your experience up, so that makes two of you.
I say that sounds like user error to me, also if you read pretty much every review they also rave about the auto box, to the point where
quite a few reviewers say its the best auto box they've ever used, go figure.
Oh and lets see a pic of your car.....if you have one!!!

Old 07-29-2018, 10:05 PM

An AT can be a great transmission under normal circumstances and still have a dangerous quirk. I would like to hear more about this issue. I have a vague memory of slipping the car into neutral in the driveway and being surprised by how it then reacted. But my memory is indistinct.

Old 07-29-2018, 10:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 992 Likes on 742 Posts

Luxury cars tend to be the opposite of collectible. Depreciation is a bitch. Speaking to the relative collectibility though it's difficult to say what the collectors 20 years in the future will want, but if they're driving enthusiasts, the purity of the experience from RWD and from a manual transmission may come into play. They should, anyway.

Barring examples with specific provenance, the RWD R and S (for LSD) with 6MT seem better bets. Then again, they might all be pretty flogged by the current generation of enthusiasts by the time the next generation sees one. I spec'd my car to drive and bought it to keep. I did the same with my last car and did end up selling. I didn't get collector money, but the buyer knew what they were getting and appreciated the way it was set up. I'm glad it went to a good home. I never did get it to the track, but intend to correct that deficiency with the F.

Old 07-29-2018, 10:39 PM

I think that current seniors are the last generation to prize MTs. For people under, what, seventy, a MT is a quaint feature like roll up windows and sealed beam headlights.

Old 07-30-2018, 06:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

I hear it all the time on Chasing Classic Cars "when the roof goes down the price goes up."

Old 07-30-2018, 06:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

I think that current seniors are the last generation to prize MTs. For people under, what, seventy, a MT is a quaint feature like roll up windows and sealed beam headlights.
I think you're right, but the age is closer to 60. I would indeed pine for an F-Type with rollup windows, zero airbags, an MT, hand operated air vents, 2-way mechanically adjustable seats (or custom bucket), but with all the modern engine management technology weighing in at 2600 lbs. Yup...call me old fashioned.

Don1954 (07-31-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 09:23 AM
V8S
Banned

Originally Posted by Timbo
You americans (well you anyway) are very sensitive lol, all i said was i dont know what planet your from.
How is that spewing a handful of insults lol.
There are 1000's of f types out there and you've found one post that you think backs your experience up, so that makes two of you.
I say that sounds like user error to me, also if you read pretty much every review they also rave about the auto box, to the point where
quite a few reviewers say its the best auto box they've ever used, go figure.
Oh and lets see a pic of your car.....if you have one!!!
User error by a 10 year old? User error that almost killed a guy (not my post)? This is why we need to fight the nanny state, their whimsical "opinion" of how how things ought to be is, to them, de facto truth.

​​​​​​If you read my post, you'd see I am happy with the performance of the automatic, my issue is a clear lack of safety testing of the stick interface and methodolgy. Lots of people are very unsatistfied here, not just me.

Ive already posted pics of my car. Does it make any sense that I'd push a safety fix without a car? Think.

Properly interfacing automatics has always been the downside. Its why drivers will sacrifice a little straight line speed (nowadays) for genuine anticipatory control of the tranny.

Last edited by V8S; 07-30-2018 at 09:30 AM.
Old 07-30-2018, 09:33 AM
V8S
Banned

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I think you're right, but the age is closer to 60. I would indeed pine for an F-Type with rollup windows, zero airbags, an MT, hand operated air vents, 2-way mechanically adjustable seats (or custom bucket), but with all the modern engine management technology weighing in at 2600 lbs. Yup...call me old fashioned.
I wouldn't call that old fashoined, I'd call it lighter.

Lamorghini did exactly that with a limited run production version, but I doubt there would be enough non-street legal Jag buyers.

Last edited by V8S; 07-30-2018 at 09:35 AM.
Old 07-30-2018, 09:39 AM
V8S
Banned

Right. The real issue is the current gen has never driven an MT so its like explaning the nuances of riding a horse. And its not aligned with the unstoppable trend of turning their cars into phones.

SinF (07-30-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I've been wanting an F-Type version of the E-Type Superlight since I got here. I don't see it happening though. A 2600 lb version would be spectacular. I was only asking for a 600 lb reduction :-)

Old 07-30-2018, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by V8S
Lots of people are very unsatistfied here, not just me.

....funny, you don't hear much from them. ;-) Reviewers have been universally postitive in their review of the F type's 8 speed box. .....I've owned (and still do) many stick shift vehicles and I like them but the auto in the F type is the best I've owned. Very happy with it. You can pine away for the decline of the standard transmission, and I can empathize, but it isn't going to bring it back; less demand daily both due to demographics and because the autos and DCT's keep getting better.

Cheers,
Dave

Old 07-30-2018, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DPelletier
Reviewers have been universally postitive in their review of the F type's 8 speed box. .....I've owned (and still do) many stick shift vehicles and I like them but the auto in the F type is the best I've owned. Very happy with it. You can pine away for the decline of the standard transmission, and I can empathize, but it isn't going to bring it back; less demand daily both due to demographics and because the autos and DCT's keep getting better.
Agreed on all counts. I'm a die-hard MT fan, but the ZF 8-speed auto is the best auto I've driven (in more than just the F-Type) and without the arrival of the F-Type with 6MT, I'd have bought one.

DPelletier (07-30-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 12:23 PM
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm planning on mine being the most collectible, and so are my sons.

Old 07-30-2018, 12:37 PM
V8S
Banned

Originally Posted by DPelletier
....funny, you don't hear much from them. ;-) Reviewers have been universally postitive in their review of the F type's 8 speed box. .....I've owned (and still do) many stick shift vehicles and I like them but the auto in the F type is the best I've owned. Very happy with it. You can pine away for the decline of the standard transmission, and I can empathize, but it isn't going to bring it back; less demand daily both due to demographics and because the autos and DCT's keep getting better.

Cheers,
Dave
Please read more closely I said I'm satisfied with the ZF8 transmission, but the Jag's stick implementation needs improvement. That is obviously not a transmission issue, but only affects AT cars.

I wanted to try the 8 speed so it didnt detract from my own buying decision. Having tried it for quite a while, my strong opinion is that an MT is a lot better in daily operation.

A true DCT might help if its a couple of tenths faster, but thats not why I prefer what I would call "full anticapatory control" of the gearbox.

I know my view is futile, as 95% of sales are now automatics so few will even know there was another option, soon. Sadly, I think MTs will be less collectible, if not shunned, as they will be viewed as undrivable by the next gen. But I'd still buy a V8 MT to replace my car if ever available--after swapping the headlights.

Last edited by V8S; 07-30-2018 at 12:40 PM.
Old 07-30-2018, 12:50 PM
Banned
Received 325 Likes on 236 Posts

[QUOTE=V8S;1938674]
A DCT might help if its a couple of tenths faster, but the thats not why I prefer what I would call better "anticapatory control" of the gearbox.
/QUOTE]

I assume you mean changing down a gear in anticipation of an overtaking manoeuvre or entry to a corner, the paddle change (up or down) gives me the control you seem to refer to and it's quicker than any driver can change gear in a manual transmission.

I totally understand some owners have a preference for manual transmission, I don't understand how any manual transmission can be considered to have superiority in any domain over modern auto transmission such as ZF 8HP70 in F Type R

Quick Reply: Most Collectable F-Type?