F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MT 1 Year Review (Pirelli P-Zeros vs Michelin Pilot Super Sports)

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 07:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts
Default MT 1 Year Review (Pirelli P-Zeros vs Michelin Pilot Super Sports)

Very favorable review of the 2015 R. No major problems. After changing the tires for PSS the guy said the car is entirely a different beast. Also echoes my thoughts that even after 1 year of ownership the car still looks amazing whereas with other cars I find I get bored of them pretty quick.

Jaguar F-Type Review - Long-Term Verdict - Motor Trend

The following 2 users liked this post by shift:
Dremorg (07-02-2015), Mulmur (07-01-2015)
Old 07-01-2015, 08:46 PM
Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

Good to hear. They seem to be having better luck than Edmunds. Their R coupe has had the peeling paddles, trunk lid separation, and driver seat wear.

I have never owned a Jaguar before will be interesting to see how the little things hold up long term. The mechanicals have been pretty bulletproof so far, I tend to beat the snot out of my cars.

MC

2015 Jaguar F-type R Coupe
1996 Acura NSX-T
1995 Mazda Miata #34
2010 Cadillac Escalade

Old 07-01-2015, 09:00 PM
Received 227 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by shift
Very favorable review of the 2015 R. No major problems. After changing the tires for PSS the guy said the car is entirely a different beast. Also echoes my thoughts that even after 1 year of ownership the car still looks amazing whereas with other cars I find I get bored of them pretty quick.

Jaguar F-Type Review - Long-Term Verdict - Motor Trend
Interesting to see the comments on the Pirelli tires. As I posted before, I think they are hopeless. Jaguar would do itself and owners a lot of favors if they fitted Michelin pilot super sports from the factory...

Old 07-02-2015, 11:52 AM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

Completely agree.

I was considering switching to the AWD model. But since I put on the Michelin PSS, the car is transformed. Very predictable, much more linear in loss of traction which makes the car very controllable and easy to drive.

At this point I really enjoy the RWD and find myself able to use the performance of the R.

Old 07-02-2015, 12:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

I have the 340 coupe running on Gyrodynes fitted with Pirellis. As I discovered earlier this week it is entirely possible to unstick the rear tyres when accelerating through a bend in 2nd. Dry road, sunny, air temperature ~25C.

Which makes me wonder if JLR got an OEM version for a really good price, as previously I would have said P-Zeros were some of the stickier tyres I've had...

Old 07-02-2015, 12:28 PM
Received 227 Likes on 172 Posts

Yep, agree, it's a fairly reasonable bet that the reason we have the P-Zeros isn't because Jaguar engineers felt they were the very best tire or best price/performance combination available to them, but because there's a beneficial deal in place between Jaguar and Pirelli which helps ensure a future aftermarket business for Pirelli. It would not surprise me if the tires fitted at the factory were deeply discounted or even close to free for the simple r I'd suspect that the majority of tire replacements will simply replace what was there as the OEM tire. Good business for Pirelli and Jaguar, but maybe not so great for owners as they are not necessarily seeing the very best of the car if has the P Zeros fitted.

I'd also be willing to bet that as good as the reviews were for the car when it was released, they would have been even better if Jaguar had fitted a better tire from the factory. I've yet to see a single owner who has made the switch from the P Zero to the PSS report anything other than a big upgrade.

Old 07-02-2015, 01:40 PM
Received 102 Likes on 66 Posts

1.5 years with my F-Type V8S.

Every time I park it somewhere and come back to it I grin.

The following users liked this post:
jetsetter883 (09-18-2021)
Old 07-02-2015, 04:19 PM
Received 270 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by TheStig
Good to hear. They seem to be having better luck than Edmunds. Their R coupe has had the peeling paddles, trunk lid separation, and driver seat wear.
I actually ran into the senior editor at Edmunds this past weekend that has been doing most of the driving in their R coupe. He saw me driving mine then picked me out of the crowd later. Funny coincidence. We started talking and exchanged a couple stories. They were really curious to see if I had any of the same issues they had. I haven't. I'll keep checking in with them though, especially as their office is just down the street.

After that MT review I really want to get my tires switched out now. Only at 6k miles so I'm guessing the pirelli's still have a bit of life in them.

Old 07-02-2015, 11:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

I think the P-Zero's are sticky so they can max the specs for advertising. The PSS are the better all around for most of us, with Conti's next!

Old 07-03-2015, 05:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by bjg625
I think the P-Zero's are sticky so they can max the specs for advertising. The PSS are the better all around for most of us, with Conti's next!
Then why are the PSSs showing better track times? (on second thought, one could chalk that off to track conditions).

Last edited by Unhingd; 07-03-2015 at 06:02 AM.
Old 07-03-2015, 08:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

The P-Zeros have a lower wear rating (220), suggesting that they are stickier than the PSS (300), but yes, the reliability of that rating system is questionable, at best. There must be something else about their construction driving the nearly universal perception that the PSS works better on the F-Type.

Old 07-03-2015, 10:26 AM
Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by bjg625
i think it has more to due with Jaguar to choose from certain tire suppliers due to business affiliations.

Old 07-03-2015, 02:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
The P-Zeros have a lower wear rating (220), suggesting that they are stickier than the PSS (300), but yes, the reliability of that rating system is questionable, at best. There must be something else about their construction driving the nearly universal perception that the PSS works better on the F-Type.
It is a very common misconception that treadwear rating can be compared from one brand to another, it simply cannot. The only thing a treadwear rating is good for is for comparing tires of the same brand.

From Discount Tire:

The treadwear grade is a comparative rating based on the wear of a tire when tested carefully under controlled conditions. For example the useful tread on a tire graded 400 should last twice as long as a tire graded 200. However, another tire manufacturer may grade a comparable design 300, so a grade of 150 would last just half as long under their grading scheme. The lesson learned is to not use one manufacturer's grade versus the other, but instead to compare tire grades within a given brand. Actual treadwear performance can vary tremendously according to the tire's real-world use. Variations in driving habits, service practices (most importantly air pressure maintenance), road conditions and climate affect tire life.

And more detail from Tire Rack:

Treadwear Grades
UTQG Treadwear Grades are based on actual road use in which the test tire is run in a vehicle convoy along with standardized Course Monitoring Tires. The vehicle repeatedly runs a prescribed 400-mile test loop in West Texas for a total of 7,200 miles. The vehicle can have its alignment set, air pressure checked and tires rotated every 800 miles. The test tire's and the Monitoring Tire's wear are measured during and at the conclusion of the test. The tire manufacturers then assign a Treadwear Grade based on the observed wear rates. The Course Monitoring Tire is assigned a grade and the test tire receives a grade indicating its relative treadwear. A grade of 100 would indicate that the tire tread would last as long as the test tire, 200 would indicate the tread would last twice as long, 300 would indicate three times as long, etc.

The problem with UTQG Treadwear Grades is that they are open to some interpretation on the part of the tire manufacturer because they are assigned after the tire has only experienced a little treadwear as it runs the 7,200 miles. This means that the tire manufacturers need to extrapolate their raw wear data when they are assigning Treadwear Grades, and that their grades can to some extent reflect how conservative or optimistic their marketing department is. Typically, comparing the Treadwear Grades of tire lines within a single brand is somewhat helpful, while attempting to compare the grades between different brands is not as helpful.

The following users liked this post:
BierNut (07-03-2015)
Old 07-03-2015, 05:43 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by TXJagR
It is a very common misconception that treadwear rating can be compared from one brand to another, it simply cannot. The only thing a treadwear rating is good for is for comparing tires of the same brand.

From Discount Tire:

The treadwear grade is a comparative rating based on the wear of a tire when tested carefully under controlled conditions. For example the useful tread on a tire graded 400 should last twice as long as a tire graded 200. However, another tire manufacturer may grade a comparable design 300, so a grade of 150 would last just half as long under their grading scheme. The lesson learned is to not use one manufacturer's grade versus the other, but instead to compare tire grades within a given brand. Actual treadwear performance can vary tremendously according to the tire's real-world use. Variations in driving habits, service practices (most importantly air pressure maintenance), road conditions and climate affect tire life.

And more detail from Tire Rack:

Treadwear Grades
UTQG Treadwear Grades are based on actual road use in which the test tire is run in a vehicle convoy along with standardized Course Monitoring Tires. The vehicle repeatedly runs a prescribed 400-mile test loop in West Texas for a total of 7,200 miles. The vehicle can have its alignment set, air pressure checked and tires rotated every 800 miles. The test tire's and the Monitoring Tire's wear are measured during and at the conclusion of the test. The tire manufacturers then assign a Treadwear Grade based on the observed wear rates. The Course Monitoring Tire is assigned a grade and the test tire receives a grade indicating its relative treadwear. A grade of 100 would indicate that the tire tread would last as long as the test tire, 200 would indicate the tread would last twice as long, 300 would indicate three times as long, etc.

The problem with UTQG Treadwear Grades is that they are open to some interpretation on the part of the tire manufacturer because they are assigned after the tire has only experienced a little treadwear as it runs the 7,200 miles. This means that the tire manufacturers need to extrapolate their raw wear data when they are assigning Treadwear Grades, and that their grades can to some extent reflect how conservative or optimistic their marketing department is. Typically, comparing the Treadwear Grades of tire lines within a single brand is somewhat helpful, while attempting to compare the grades between different brands is not as helpful.
I know, that's why I said that rating is "questionable, at best." I read the same link at Tire Rack.

Old 07-03-2015, 10:40 PM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I made the switch over to Conti Xtreme DW (due to Mich PSS being on back order a few months ago). I am very pleased with ride quality and the grip on both dry and wet. Driving in the wet with the Conti's is amazing in terms of how confident I feel at highways speeds compared to the Pirellis.

Old 07-04-2015, 06:34 AM
Veteran Member

Can anyone out there tell me what tire manufacturer/model Jag uses on the 19" wheels?

Old 07-04-2015, 07:21 AM
Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by lhoboy
Can anyone out there tell me what tire manufacturer/model Jag uses on the 19" wheels?
Lance, I have Pirelli P Zeros on my stock 19" Propeller wheels.

Old 07-04-2015, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member

Yes, for all MYs, on 19" and 20" wheels, the tires have, up to this point, been P-Zeros. On the base car with 18"s, it's been Contis.

Old 07-04-2015, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Foosh
Yes, for all MYs, on 19" and 20" wheels, the tires have, up to this point, been P-Zeros. On the base car with 18"s, it's been Contis.
Thanks. I just confirmed that on my own car! (Needed the info to list the 19" wheel set for sale).

Old 07-04-2015, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by TheStig
I just the latest updates from Edmunds...the problems must be minor enough because the guy still seems very happy with the car.

Quick Reply: MT 1 Year Review (Pirelli P-Zeros vs Michelin Pilot Super Sports)