Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MT Not Dead Yet

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 07:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts
Default MT Not Dead Yet

Off F-Topic, but relevant: https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/g...-transmission/
I'm guessing, the next major F-Type redesign will not offer an MT.

Old 03-10-2018, 09:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 981 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Off F-Topic, but relevant: https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/g...-transmission/
I suspect you're right. The sales figures aren't particularly supportive of the MT.

Old 03-10-2018, 09:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Ever watched a car commercial? You always have a shot of an actor yanking on a stick, even if the car is automatic. Why? Because that what people associate with driving and performance, even if most won't select a manual transmission for their car. Short throw downward is probably most recognizable physical move associated with driving.

The purpose of MT F-type is not to sell more MT F-types, but to sell more other cars. It is halo configuration for a halo car.

Old 03-10-2018, 12:13 PM
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Yeah, I caught that item. Somewhat surprising.

Agree. Haven't JLR signaled a next gen model will be hybrid, electric or perhaps both? In any case I don't see a MT.

Old 03-10-2018, 04:37 PM
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim F
Haven't JLR signaled a next gen model will be hybrid, electric or perhaps both? In any case I don't see a MT.
Yup indeed.

(Unless they surprise everyone, including themselves no doubt, by launching an all-new model before 2019 is over!)

Old 03-15-2018, 10:29 AM
Banned
Received 325 Likes on 236 Posts

I believe manual transmission haven't sold well on Jaguar for quite some time, my last car was an XJS. the model was manufactured from 1975 until 1996 yet manual transmission was available until 1980 only, because I believe only 400 MT were sold in five years
Surprisingly quite a few current XJS owners express a preference for manual transmission.

I think one reason for popularity of auto is that modern auto are much better than previously and with 8 speed ZF with paddle shift on F Type you seem to be able to have the convenience of auto combined with total control when required.

Old 03-15-2018, 10:38 AM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_59
I believe manual transmission haven't sold well on Jaguar for quite some time, my last car was an XJS. the model was manufactured from 1975 until 1996 yet manual transmission was available until 1980 only, because I believe only 400 MT were sold in five years
Surprisingly quite a few current XJS owners express a preference for manual transmission.

I think one reason for popularity of auto is that modern auto are much better than previously and with 8 speed ZF with paddle shift on F Type you seem to be able to have the convenience of auto combined with total control when required.
I am guessing many purchasers of the XJS never even KNEW a manual was an option and, of those who did, likely could not just get one off of the lot. Even back then, people who wanted to have something that was out of the ordinary had to order and wait. And, just as now, people tend not to be willing to order and wait...they have to have it NOW. That is one of the vehicles that I would fly cross-country to purchase if a good example showed up on the resale market...

I absolutely DISAGREE that paddle shifting yields 'total control when required.' But then again, I am in the minority that likes to actually DRIVE my vehicle, not merely be along for the ride...

Old 03-15-2018, 07:12 PM
Received 150 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by mbelanger
I am guessing many purchasers of the XJS never even KNEW a manual was an option and, of those who did, likely could not just get one off of the lot. Even back then, people who wanted to have something that was out of the ordinary had to order and wait. And, just as now, people tend not to be willing to order and wait...they have to have it NOW. That is one of the vehicles that I would fly cross-country to purchase if a good example showed up on the resale market...

I absolutely DISAGREE that paddle shifting yields 'total control when required.' But then again, I am in the minority that likes to actually DRIVE my vehicle, not merely be along for the ride...
I have an 6MT G35 and ZF transmission F-Type and I have to say the ZF gives you 95% total control. It nearly always shifts exactly when you want it to (can't remember a recent time when it didn't). The only major limitations is if you want to (a) shift/correct in a turn. In these situations a manual is superior or (b) jump a gear or two, manual is superior here as well. However these circumstances should occur extremely rarely. Last major drawback to the ZF is not being able to easily rev when you want to. In a manual you can just floor the clutch and rev your heart away, not so much with the ZF. If the car could go into neutral by pulling both paddles then this issue would go away. MT is fun but most of the time the ZF paddles are superior and offer equal control.

Last edited by zmoothg; 03-15-2018 at 07:14 PM.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:54 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by zmoothg

The only major limitations is if you want to (a) shift/correct in a turn. In these situations a manual is superior or (b) jump a gear or two, manual is superior here as well. However these circumstances should occur extremely rarely.
When attacking the twisties, I encounter these circumstances frequently and purposefully. That’s the joy of driving the MT.

That said, there is no arguing that the AT is more efficient and far faster shifting.

Old 03-22-2018, 01:43 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mbelanger
...I absolutely DISAGREE that paddle shifting yields 'total control when required.' But then again, I am in the minority that likes to actually DRIVE my vehicle, not merely be along for the ride...
Control and involvement are two different things. The reason we see automatics with paddles is that buyers quickly become owners who crave involvement with their car's operation...involvement they've chosen to forego with an automatic transmission. They don't want to "do the work", but they want the fun. Paddles won't replace the fun, but it's the closest they can get with an automatic. Additionally, most automatics spend a fair fraction of their lives in the wrong gear at the wrong time, and paddles can alleviate some (but not all) of that pain by restoring some control.

Old 03-22-2018, 03:21 PM
Veteran Member

The best transmission I ever had had the best of both worlds. It was a C-4 Corvette with the 4+3 speed transmission. It was a four speed manual transmission hooked up with a two speed automatic overdrive. An immediate downshift could be accomplished by depressing the throttle to the floor. The overdrive kick down was available in the top three speeds.First gear was limited to the low range.

Old 03-24-2018, 11:51 AM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Anyone with a manual F-type will have a collector car in 20, 30 years when we're all shuttling around in autonomous breadboxes. But I'm not expecting appreciation to happen on these cars until then. The ZF 6-speed fits without issue and minimal cost, and even if the manual take rate is under 10 percent, I think we can expect it going forward. Jaguar wants to be seen as a legitimate competitor to Porsche, and Porsche is not deleting the manual on the Cayman or 911.

Old 04-03-2018, 05:35 PM
Default Recent manual take rate

At the New York Aito Show today I spoke with a guy from JLR US named Chris (sorry didn't get his last name) about future availability of manuals. He had no concrete information about the next gen but volunteered that the current manual take rate had surprised them, It's running at 30%. That is, on those models for which a manual gearbox is an option, that's the take rate.

Also he said that 2020 will be last model year for the current F-Type

Old 05-08-2021, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

At the New York Aito Show today I spoke with a guy from JLR US named Chris (sorry didn't get his last name) about future availability of manuals. He had no concrete information about the next gen but volunteered that the current manual take rate had surprised them, It's running at 30%. That is, on those models for which a manual gearbox is an option, that's the take rate.

Maybe he was a marketing guy? Jokes aside, it's been pretty concretely supported that it was at 4% for the entire time the manual actually existed and if the take rate was as high as Porsche's manual transmission take rate, they would still offer it. So I'm super confused. Is this for a new model or a redesign? Holy ****, if they design a super car to compete with Aston that includes a manual transmission, I might lose my mind.

Old 05-09-2021, 06:15 PM
Veteran Member

DELETED: Doh...3 year old thread.

Old 05-09-2021, 07:46 PM

Maybe he was a marketing guy? Jokes aside, it's been pretty concretely supported that it was at 4% for the entire time the manual actually existed and if the take rate was as high as Porsche's manual transmission take rate, they would still offer it. So I'm super confused. Is this for a new model or a redesign?
First, nice job reviving a dead thread!
Second, I do think the guy I spoke to may not have been...credible.
Third, my point, as I've said, is that I'd like to hear manual take rate percentages expressed with the qualifier "On those models for which manuals were an option (2016-2019 6 cylinder RWD only)" If someone could show where it's put that way, I'd greatly appreciate it, because I hear "the manual take rate was 4%" or 1%" or whatever, and as an ex marketing guy myself, I suspect the thought pattern is "ok, we sold x number of F-Types (all variants) and X-percent were manuals so that's the take rate." Which of course it isn't. I brought this up in the F-Type SVR Production numbers and more thread but was told that even this was the case, the actual percentage is probably in that very low range. But haven't heard it with that qualifier.

Last edited by Jim F; 05-09-2021 at 08:01 PM.
Old 05-09-2021, 07:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

The issue with MT is that the set of people that like them and the set of people that can afford 100K cars new does not intersect that much. So you can have a paradox of unwanted new car that with depreciation turns into most desirable used one.

The following 2 users liked this post by SinF:
BarneysFType (05-10-2021), Luc Lapierre (05-10-2021)
Old 05-10-2021, 09:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

First, nice job reviving a dead thread!
Never trust the algorithms. I had been in another thread and posted and this was served up by the relevant post algorithm, and I just dove in head first without even thinking or looking at dates. So funny.

Old 05-10-2021, 10:06 AM
Received 98 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
The issue with MT is that the set of people that like them and the set of people that can afford 100K cars new does not intersect that much. So you can have a paradox of unwanted new car that with depreciation turns into most desirable used one.
Possibly, I know I fall into this category. I could not buy a 100K+ car. I think age is more of a factor.
We need a poll - Manual or paddle vs age.

Old 05-10-2021, 12:39 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthSider
I could not buy a 100K+ car.
You can if you're not the first (or second, or ...) owner ...

Quick Reply: MT Not Dead Yet