F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Much to my surprise

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2024, 11:39 AM
Received 141 Likes on 99 Posts
Default Much to my surprise

Had my wheels off my R today for ceramic etc...

In any case, while the wheels are off my plan is to put a protectant on the plastics in the wheel wells to make them easier to clean day-to-day and whatnot. Much to my surprise only the front wheel wells are lined with a plastic material. The back ones have some sort of non-plastic deadening martial I gather.

Not entirely sure, but that material in the back wheel wells looks like it will be a dirt build up nightmare over time? What has been your guys' experience with that material? Does it get really dirty? Is there some sort of preferred product to be proactively using on that material in order to contribute towards it staying cleaner day-to-day over time?

Cheers

Old 06-02-2024, 12:07 PM
Received 178 Likes on 114 Posts

I might be the best person to answer that, seemingly everything is failing of age on my 2015 R, but the reader wheel liner, inside and out, is perfect.

Nothing special about cleaning them, they are like the tread of your tires, they are supposed to get dirty. Rinse them with a hose every car wash, brush them with cat soap if so inclined.

The inner can trap a lot of dirts, you can loosen them and hose away once in a while.

the entire rocker area is hollow, you can hose from one end and see the water and dirt coming out the other.

Old 06-02-2024, 12:12 PM
Received 141 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray Ray
I might be the best person to answer that, seemingly everything is failing of age on my 2015 R, but the reader wheel liner, inside and out, is perfect.

Nothing special about cleaning them, they are like the tread of your tires, they are supposed to get dirty. Rinse them with a hose every car wash, brush them with cat soap if so inclined.

The inner can trap a lot of dirts, you can loosen them and hose away once in a while.

the entire rocker area is hollow, you can hose from one end and see the water and dirt coming out the other.
Cool, just thought I'd ask, as I'm all about making things easier to keep clean over time etc...

Old 06-03-2024, 08:38 AM
Received 48 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray Ray

I'm interested in what other things are failing due to age on your '15. What are some of the sore spots?

Old 06-03-2024, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Atipical
I'm interested in what other things are failing due to age on your '15. What are some of the sore spots?
Some are known issue for the platform, some seem to be rare cases, some are likely from NOT being driven regularly (i got her in 2023 with 23k miles).

Sagging head liner
sagging sun visor liner
sticky buttons and plastic pieces(almost all of them)

Glue lifting on some leather pieces, notably some spots on the dash, and the vertical leather piece by the grab handle

stuck fuel injectors
torn ball joints (suspension, all of them)
disintegrating shock mount bushings
torn spring insulators

leaking pinion seal

failing headlight coating inside and out

That’s about it! To the cars credit, i have close to 0 info on previous caresmanship(is that even a word?), and i park the car outdoor.

edit: and the plastic pipes!! No evidence of it bursting thankfully, but it was at the very least starting to go, slow but steady coolant loss, dropped all these craps with metal ones during fuel injector replacement.

and the trunk cover pins on the tail gate, one of them fell out of the hole.

Last edited by Ray Ray; 06-03-2024 at 09:59 AM.
Old 06-03-2024, 10:23 AM

Sheesh that’s quite a list. I’m sure the car has been parked outside for its whole life so I guess certain things like the headliner, and other interior bits could be from extended sun exposure.

Old 06-03-2024, 10:46 AM

If I’m being honest the car was most likely garaged most of the time, without revealing too much details, the car was sold by McLaren Palm beach and was serviced there, the guy i bought it from was also very well off.

I’m leaning toward questionable material choice by Jaguar and Sun exposure both contributed to the issue, and I’m not blaming them, these issues aren’t unheard of and one can find them in other makes of any price range, bio degradable wiring and bushing? Rodents love them, and i won’t be surprised if the glues were yummy too.

I’m very grateful that the actual leather used is of high quality and still feels supple and new at 10 years of age!(save some spots on the dash).

Last edited by Ray Ray; 06-03-2024 at 10:49 AM.
Old 06-05-2024, 10:23 AM
Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Had my 2015 since December. Its my daily driver so I've needed it to be reliable and so far it has been. The only issue is the sticky buttons, but that hasn't bothered me enough to try to fix yet. I'm expecting to have to replace the plastic coolant piping but haven't been brave enough to dive in.

The following users liked this post:
Atipical (06-05-2024)
Old 06-05-2024, 12:57 PM

I’m definitely glad to know that the prevailing perspective is that these are reliable cars. I’m daily-ing mine for the foreseeable future so I’m trying to get an idea of what to expect long term.

Old 06-05-2024, 01:21 PM
Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm putting over 300 miles a week (criminal, I know) and loving every one. The computer says I'm getting almost 30mpg too. I think that's a bit higher than reality, but I'm happy for it not being 20 like I expected.

Carbuff2 (06-05-2024)
Old 06-05-2024, 02:06 PM

I’m doing about 400 mi/week so don’t feel bad lol

the most I saw was about 26mpg but I also have a lead foot so I can’t be too upset!

Old 06-05-2024, 03:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 591 Likes on 407 Posts

The computer says I'm getting almost 30mpg too. I think that's a bit higher than reality,
Our MPG indicator has consistently been1.5 - 2.0 MPG optimistic, going back 5 years.

If you are cruisin' on a highway, the dash can show about 30 mpg, but keep the revs up and you will drop by 10 MPG, easy.

Ichi Ban (06-12-2024)