F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a muffler delete the same as pulling fuse 43?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2022, 02:23 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Is a muffler delete the same as pulling fuse 43?

Hello,

Doing some reading and I can't seem to get a clear answer on this.

Looking to make my R louder and was wondering if pulling fuse 43 is essentially straight piping the car. The R doesn't have a resonator and the only thing affecting the sound is the muffler, cats and headers. But it seems from this diagram below that it is running straight through but I'm not 100% sure. I also read a muffler delete is a lot louder in low RPM's which is my goal. I also sketched out how I wanted it done. Cutting out that excess bend and just welding a straight pipe across the Y pipe. Unsure how much that would do for the sound though.

I was about to just go to a muffler shop and have them weld on straight pipes to the mid pipes and be done with it but I'm not too sure if that's the move if I can just pull fuse 43 and have them open all the time.

Any guidance and info on this would be great.

Old 09-11-2022, 03:18 AM
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I *think* a muffler delete will make your car louder. Pulling the fuse keeps the valves open and the exhaust flow less restricted.
I bought the valvetronic VAP exhaust and the car is noticeably louder under full throttle suggesting the stock muffler does do some sound dampening with the valves closed.
My neighbors still come about to borrow a pinch of sugar, so I will be adding sports cars in the future.
As was mentioned in the other thread it may not be easily achievable to greatly increase the volume of the exhaust at idle and at low rpms.
I enjoy loud cars, and am learning to enjoy the duality of the F-type. My straight piped Cobra sometimes made me wish there was a volume knob for the exhaust (this was before adjustable exhausts became more popular).

Old 09-11-2022, 07:10 AM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Ojeii
Hello,

Doing some reading and I can't seem to get a clear answer on this.

Looking to make my R louder and was wondering if pulling fuse 43 is essentially straight piping the car. The R doesn't have a resonator and the only thing affecting the sound is the muffler, cats and headers. But it seems from this diagram below that it is running straight through but I'm not 100% sure. I also read a muffler delete is a lot louder in low RPM's which is my goal. I also sketched out how I wanted it done. Cutting out that excess bend and just welding a straight pipe across the Y pipe. Unsure how much that would do for the sound though.

I was about to just go to a muffler shop and have them weld on straight pipes to the mid pipes and be done with it but I'm not too sure if that's the move if I can just pull fuse 43 and have them open all the time.

Any guidance and info on this would be great.

WHat year is your car? You should start with removing the Fuse as it is very easy to do.

Old 09-11-2022, 07:43 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,463 Likes on 1,108 Posts

His signature (which you may not see if you're on a mobile device) says it's a 15.

Old 09-11-2022, 09:25 AM
Received 368 Likes on 236 Posts

That exhaust system diagram is interesting. With the valve closed, it looks like no exhaust gasses are exiting the two outer pipes and with it open, the inner two pipes are getting the effects of the muffler and the outer pipes are pretty much free flowing.

Having a muffler shop do some cutting and welding should definitely have a much different effect upon the sound than just removing the fuse. I would try it with the fuse removed first and see how you like it. It may be a lot louder than you wanted if the muffler function is totally deleted. I tried removing the fuse on my 2021 F Type R and in addition to the sound with the valves open, it also changed the point in the engine RPM's where the exhaust note changed. I decided I didn't want the valves open all the time and put the fuse back in.

Old 09-11-2022, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Dwight Frye
That exhaust system diagram is interesting. With the valve closed, it looks like no exhaust gasses are exiting the two outer pipes and with it open, the inner two pipes are getting the effects of the muffler and the outer pipes are pretty much free flowing.

Having a muffler shop do some cutting and welding should definitely have a much different effect upon the sound than just removing the fuse. I would try it with the fuse removed first and see how you like it. It may be a lot louder than you wanted if the muffler function is totally deleted. I tried removing the fuse on my 2021 F Type R and in addition to the sound with the valves open, it also changed the point in the engine RPM's where the exhaust note changed. I decided I didn't want the valves open all the time and put the fuse back in.
hm okay, I need to find a video where to find the fuse box and how to remove fuse 43. I'm unfamiliar with the process.

Old 09-11-2022, 04:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,291 Likes on 889 Posts

Here you go. Pulling the fuse is just the same as putting it in dynamic all the time, exhaust wise.

The following users liked this post:
Kassa (09-12-2022)
Old 09-12-2022, 12:40 AM
Received 165 Likes on 105 Posts

Pulling the fuse or running in dynamic means the muffler is bypassed "sort of".
Exhaust gasses will take the path of least resistance. With the valves open probably 70-80 of the exhaust gases will go straight in your diagram. The remaining 20-30 % will still wind it way through the muffler portion as that pathway is still open.
I guess with a "muffler delete" you are making that 80% into 100%

The following users liked this post:
Kassa (09-12-2022)
Old 09-12-2022, 05:49 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,107 Likes on 1,407 Posts

F43 is in the fuse box under the carpet in the passenger footwell. I use a relay with a key fob to disconnect F43 when I want it loud.

Old 09-12-2022, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,362 Likes on 1,861 Posts

Just be aware that it's very common to get an annoying drone at constant speed when cutting out the factory stuff. Do everything with the thought that you may go back to what you had? So keep everything stock that you get cut off just in case.

Old 09-12-2022, 11:36 AM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamal302
I *think* a muffler delete will make your car louder. Pulling the fuse keeps the valves open and the exhaust flow less restricted.
I bought the valvetronic VAP exhaust and the car is noticeably louder under full throttle suggesting the stock muffler does do some sound dampening with the valves closed.
My neighbors still come about to borrow a pinch of sugar, so I will be adding sports cars in the future.
As was mentioned in the other thread it may not be easily achievable to greatly increase the volume of the exhaust at idle and at low rpms.
I enjoy loud cars, and am learning to enjoy the duality of the F-type. My straight piped Cobra sometimes made me wish there was a volume knob for the exhaust (this was before adjustable exhausts became more popular).
This is interesting, with the stock cats, under full throttle, do you feel valvetronic VAP (with valves open), is louder than stock exhaust with valves open/fuse removed?

Also does VAP valvetronic exhaust disable vacuum pump operation? Meaning, regardless of the RPMs, are the valves either closed or fully open depending on whether the sport exhaust is activated ?

Old 09-12-2022, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by ToysARs
WHat year is your car? You should start with removing the Fuse as it is very easy to do.
Pulling the fuse didn't really do much for me I think. It did have more pops in the lower RPM's and overall but it sounded the same in general past 3000 RPM.

From what I read Dynamic opens the valves 100% of the time so nothing should have changed by me pulling fuse 43 since I always drive in dynamic.

Old 09-12-2022, 07:18 PM
Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Ojeii
Pulling the fuse didn't really do much for me I think. It did have more pops in the lower RPM's and overall but it sounded the same in general past 3000 RPM.

From what I read Dynamic opens the valves 100% of the time so nothing should have changed by me pulling fuse 43 since I always drive in dynamic.
same experience with my 15R. I saw no benefit other than not needing to pull the Dynamic switch right after starting for the first time…it also meant I could no longer put it in normal mode if coming home late and not wanting to wake up my daughters.

Old 09-12-2022, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Craaaazzy
same experience with my 15R. I saw no benefit other than not needing to pull the Dynamic switch right after starting for the first time…it also meant I could no longer put it in normal mode if coming home late and not wanting to wake up my daughters.
Honestly, I don't personally see a sound issue with the fuse pulled/valves open because you can just drive in higher gears. The car itself is pretty quiet below 3000 RPM. So in theory driving in normal mode shouldn't be that much louder.

My problem was the car itself is not loud enough for me in general, but especially at lower RPM's it is pretty quiet unless you're in a tunnel or are the only car around in a silent area. Around other cars it is pretty quiet. Some like it, I myself do not really prefer that personally, especially from such a wicked car, I wanna hear it all the time.

Old 09-13-2022, 09:49 AM
Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

there is a difference in volume between having the valves closed or open. if you are wanting louder...then I don't think simply pulling the fuse will satisfy you and a new exhaust system may be more inline with your wants.

Old 09-13-2022, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Craaaazzy
there is a difference in volume between having the valves closed or open. if you are wanting louder...then I don't think simply pulling the fuse will satisfy you and a new exhaust system may be more inline with your wants.
I'm going to try this muffler delete first then see if I like it since it is only going to cost me $300 parts and labor as opposed to $2000 + labor.

Will make a post once done on the sound difference.