F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Muffler issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2021, 03:19 PM
Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
Default Muffler issue

I got screwed on a separate issue (issue A) other than the muffler. When I took the car in for issue A, I asked about the muffler. They fixed issue A and tried to bill me for it. They also said the muffler was defective, under warranty and they had to order it. Issue A was over $3500. I filed suit against Jaguar. I did not want Jaguar working on the car while we were in suit.

We settled Issue A and said they would fix the muffler. They had it at the dealership. It was the time of COVID. I called and canceled due to family issues and COVID an appointment and they said the muffler was there waiting for me. It would be a 4 hour wait during COVID look down. I did not feel right about that having underlying issues.

I went back this Spring 2021. The dealer said they got their money back for the muffler and told me to f@# myself.

I state this out of anger. I also ask if there is any other after market solution.

Old 07-30-2021, 01:24 AM
Received 273 Likes on 190 Posts

Are you just asking about aftermarket muffler options? Opinion as to the other matter, there's not enough information. What year is your car? When does/did the warranty run out? When was the original appointment? Why did you cancel the original appointment? Did they really use the F word?

The following users liked this post:
Sparky H (07-30-2021)
Old 07-30-2021, 02:25 AM
Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts

Interesting? I think your view is now clouded by the Red haze given what has happened
If your muffler/car is still under warranty presumably your drive train etc still is so what would cost $3500 and not be covered. Must be the most expensive windscreen wipers ever.
If not covered they would have quoted you before proceeding with the repair and you would have had to give the go ahead.It sounds like you haven’t paid them for work they have carried out and then somehow suing them for what? What you have written it seems they should be suing you for non payment.
They were also happy to do your muffler under warranty but you delayed it for months not them so if I were them I would be thinking this customer who owes us money ,who also has taken out legal action is also trying to play games with us.
You have to sleep in the bed you make .
If it’s covered under warranty just go to a different dealer with no out of pocket expense. If you want to just change your exhaust then just do it and forget about all your dealer hassles. Life is too short.

Sparky H (07-30-2021)
Old 07-30-2021, 09:20 AM
Default Muffler

If you are Jaguar slappies and side with Jaguar no matter, then dismiss me. I have a 2016 S manaual convertible. Let us just say the original failure happened at less than 4000 miles. At the same time the muffler was found to be defective but the dealer did not have one. I got billed almost $4000 stating it was a failure of a "wear part" for the other matter. The right time to do the muffler was after the dealer got the muffler, the lawsuit was over, COVID broke and the snow was gone. They sent back the muffler to Jaguar because corporate gave them one chance to get 100% of their money sending the muffler back. They did not drop an f bomb but grin f@#$ed me sayinng "too bad, its gone." Sucks to be you. I would have expected a call that they were sending back the muffler and did I want it. I would have picked up the muffler and waited to have someone else put it on.

My question was about an after market muffler, a donor muffler from a junk yard or fixing the muffler. It is a 2016 with just over 7000 miles and I have had two grudge matches with Jaguar over $3000 repairs that should never have happened. I am a guy that spent my life to get an E type and I am disgusted at my treatment by a company I loved since I was a kid. Any ideas from group? You were great on the clutch issue.

Old 07-31-2021, 03:01 AM

But why are you being elusive about "the other matter"? At 4000 miles you're still under warranty and unless it was the driver's fault, it would be covered. You still didn't say the date of the original appointment or how long between visits. If you didn't follow up and it was several months that the dealer didn't hear from you, what would you expect them to do?

Old 07-31-2021, 07:27 AM
Default Muffler

Jaguar has denied the warranty on the muffler even though I presented it before it expired and they did not have the part. We were in litigation over something else. The car was delivered in July 2015 hence expiartion July 2020. I was not going in while we were in lawsuit or during COVID. I called and they said no problem. Then they sold the muffler back to Jaguar when they probably got it for free.

I know that none of you can fix the warranty issue. Each post I have asked for an after market, junk yard or other ideas to get around paying almost $4000 for a dealer installed muffler. Sorry to focus on how I got here. I am mad that Jaguar used being sued for another screw up I had to sue them for and then COVID lock down to claim I delayed getting my repair. I found no where in the literature a time limit for me to produce the car for repair after they diagnose the warranty issue.

Read the prior post and you can determine my prior issue.

Old 07-31-2021, 07:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 380 Likes on 266 Posts

Havinng read this 3 times I still have no idea what the issue really is!
Perhaps mwigent should calm down and try to write a more coherent account.

sov211 (07-31-2021)
Old 08-01-2021, 01:50 PM
Default Muffler

It says right in the post. Are there any good after market options, junkyard options or some other fix that does not cost me almost $4000?

Old 08-01-2021, 04:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 263 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by mwigent
It says right in the post. Are there any good after market options, junkyard options or some other fix that does not cost me almost $4000?
It sounds like he had a clutch failure & was told it is not covered under warranty.

Old 08-01-2021, 05:58 PM
Received 130 Likes on 72 Posts

Ok what was issue”A”, which you haven’t identified. What did JLR fail to fix under warranty or otherwise. You also haven’t told the forum what year, model f type you have, auto, manual? Expired warranty or extended warranty? Again we are going in circles with this post without clear information. This forum has experienced members with years of good and bad experiences with JLR dealers if they have all the information. IMHO.

Old 08-02-2021, 03:56 AM

So your first issue was the clutch that your dealer refused to warranty. I get it. Your dealership sucks. Mine does too. I paid for an O2 sensor replacement at the dealer last year and 3 months ago when the extended O2 warranty came out I submitted for the refund. I'm still waiting and at first the dealer claimed I had to go through JNA (false). You could file a complaint with JNA and see if they will resolve, but it is doubtful as you did delay (not saying you didn't have a good reason), but at the same time you can't expect a dealer to hold a part for you indefinitely.

My recommendation would be to go aftermarket such as VAP or Quicksilver and have an independant shop install it. Will be quite a bit cheaper than the dealer's quote. Or there are many on here that replace theirs with aftermarket and you could purchase a used one from them or at a salvage yard.