Music for your drives.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 09:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts
Default Music for your drives.

edit: download links at bottom:
---------------
Howdy. I am a DJ in SF. I do not take myself too seriously. It isn't a "I am so special, look at me play other's people music" thing. We're just crate diggers and archivist music junkies.

What do you listen to while driving? I do a LOT of classical, some NPR... But love long mixes for drives.

I make mixes for all types. I am posting driving music, not thump thump stuff.

Italian lounge - 2.5hrs of mellow, groovy mid 60's organ and funk with female vocals
https://www.mixcloud.com/DJFishbits/...ounge-grooves/

Late 50's - mid 60's bossa nova
https://www.mixcloud.com/DJFishbits/...orld-cup-2014/

Very contemporary / modern downtempo idm or trip hop (gets heady and mellow after a feedback crescendo in first 1minute
https://www.mixcloud.com/DJFishbits/...ime-doubly-so/

Upbeat psychedelic lounge jazz
https://www.mixcloud.com/DJFishbits/...n-lounge-jazz/

Downtempo mellow old school hip hop
https://www.mixcloud.com/DJFishbits/...nhop-slo-burn/

Links to streaming here:
http://mixcloud.com/djfishbits

We just started a website (very new), because new fangled laptop DJ's have been telling us that we vinyl dj's need a "website". So be it: http://crackerjackdjs.com

There is plenty more and always more coming there is some great old funk and soul, even some dubstep, house, at the main link

I want nothing and expect nothing and just love to share music. Hopefully this isn't spammy and you guys appreciate.. Let me know if you want download links for tracks.

And I want to talk more music we all might enjoy, as diverse as we likely are.... =)

Not sure the gentlemen and women's comfort level with clicking links... and you'll have to hunt and peck a *tiny* bit for the appropriate mixes...

A google drive link:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4...EItalh4WVdYTnc

Dropbox:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7wg9ox2kb...vepaJYQEa?dl=0

Last edited by Uncle Fishbits; 10-07-2015 at 09:51 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Uncle Fishbits:
1 of 19 (10-07-2015), swajames (10-07-2015), uncheel (10-07-2015)
Old 10-06-2015, 11:25 PM
Received 227 Likes on 172 Posts

good stuff - thanks for posting!

If you can post (or PM) the download links I'd certainly be interested.

Carrying on your 1960's Italian Lounge theme, check out an album called "An Italian Story" by Daniele Luppi. Came out maybe 11 or 12 years ago, it was billed as the imaginary soundtrack to a 1960's Italian movie that was never made - your mix reminded me of the album.

Nice work!

The following users liked this post:
Uncle Fishbits (10-07-2015)
Old 10-07-2015, 02:03 AM
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Nice... I also checked out some of the dubstep and house mixes on your collection page as well. I'll set some time aside tomorrow to listen some more. I like what I've heard so far.

Now if you get around to doing some mixes that include some 80's & 90's alternative I'd like to take a listen to that too.

My musical tastes are pretty broad, though I tend towards more contemporary stuff. I have a pretty eclectic mix of music on my phone. While in the FTR I'm usually either listening to the engine note or to Sirius/XM hits 1. I usually only listen to the tracks on my phone when I'm doing a longer drive or I'm in a mood to hear something in particular.

Old 10-07-2015, 05:31 AM
Received 173 Likes on 125 Posts

Love the hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy reference and love the mix, nice work.

Won't be listening in the F because I just listen to the car there but chilling in a hotel room late at night this is perfect.

Old 10-07-2015, 07:01 AM
Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
Howdy. I am a DJ in SF. I do not take myself too seriously. It isn't a "I am so special, look at me play other's people music" thing. We're just crate diggers and archivist music junkies.

I will post links to download files in a bit if people are interested. There is plenty more and always more coming there is some great old funk and soul, even some dubstep, house, at the main link

I want nothing and expect nothing and just love to share music. Hopefully this isn't spammy and you guys appreciate.. Let me know if you want download links for tracks.
Please, please provide download links. Thanks!

Old 10-07-2015, 09:01 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,112 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Nice. I too listen to classical/NPR. We're lucky to have a good classical radio station here in Boston (WCRB). The SiriusXM Symphony Hall channel plays too much Haydn and Strauss for my taste.

Old 10-07-2015, 09:56 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by swajames
good stuff - thanks for posting!

If you can post (or PM) the download links I'd certainly be interested.

Carrying on your 1960's Italian Lounge theme, check out an album called "An Italian Story" by Daniele Luppi. Came out maybe 11 or 12 years ago, it was billed as the imaginary soundtrack to a 1960's Italian movie that was never made - your mix reminded me of the album.

Nice work!
reading reviews, "Fans of Nicola Conte, Dimitri From Paris, Ursula 1000, Thievery Corporation,"

Well... I just immediately purchased it. Thanks.

For stuff more loungey contemporary, definitely check out Les Hommes on 18th St. Lounge, and a Norwegian guy, Espen Horne, and "Bobby Hughes Experience", "Bobby Hughes Combination" and Kinny and Horne.

the 1st album, Fusa Riot, is one of the greatest single albums in history, IMHO. Very upbeat, a bit exotica, but funky bass driven organ grooves. 2nd is Nhu Golden Era which is more polished and traditional, but straight uptempo night club act, still with the syrupy organ. Lastly is Kinny and Horne, which is a night club act style contemporary duo with some great jazz vocals, etc.

swajames (10-09-2015)
Old 10-07-2015, 09:59 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Merlin
Nice... I also checked out some of the dubstep and house mixes on your collection page as well. I'll set some time aside tomorrow to listen some more. I like what I've heard so far.

Now if you get around to doing some mixes that include some 80's & 90's alternative I'd like to take a listen to that too.

My musical tastes are pretty broad, though I tend towards more contemporary stuff.
Broad is *very* good. Never have understood the "I just listen to country" or "I just listen to hip hop". My next two mixes lined up are a old school 1st wave ska/rocksteady/dubby reggae mix, then an afrobeat mix for Fela Kuti's bday. Contemporary is VERY compelling, because it would be fun to wade through some stuff I grew up... Primus and the Clash and Op Ivy. lol

I know you meant "more contemporary than that", but I am getting old. LOL

Old 10-07-2015, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by AnD3rew
Love the hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy reference and love the mix, nice work.

Won't be listening in the F because I just listen to the car there but chilling in a hotel room late at night this is perfect.
Man... I've mixed a lot of weird hitchhiker's stuff into my mixes. The start of the bossa nova mix says "HAS ANYBODY SEEN LOWRY? HAS ANYBODY SEEN SAAAMMM LOWRYYYyyy??" - which is from Gilliam's movie Brazil. I thought it appropriate.

As for that mix... "I can never get the hang of thursdays"... I like it a lot. One of the other dubby dubstep mixes hits this, but Burial said he liked dubstep when it was the music that felt like you had just gotten home from the club at 3.30a, you are exhausted, happy, and cannot hear a thing"... and it's just the walls and the rooms and the bass thump moving around you, etc. I don't remember the proper quote, but YES... I love those 3am mixes. I have one I should remix that was precisely for when people were, ahem, coming down, and just melting into pre-dawn sky. =)

Old 10-07-2015, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DuhCar
Please, please provide download links. Thanks!
done. edited first post contains either dropbox or google drive, whatever your preference. =)

Old 10-07-2015, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DJS
Nice. I too listen to classical/NPR. We're lucky to have a good classical radio station here in Boston (WCRB). The SiriusXM Symphony Hall channel plays too much Haydn and Strauss for my taste.
KDFC 90.3 in SF Bay is quite excellent... just a bit of the overly accessible request of the classics (they would play anyway), but also nothing too poppy and a lot of diversity. They don't overplay Mozart, they do play enough Beethoven for my tastes, and they DIG Bohemians, so I get a bit of my people from time to time. =)

Classical is the only thing I think I can listen to with the top down, drive the way I have been driving, and not look like some insufferable punk. LOL

Old 10-07-2015, 12:54 PM
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Broad is *very* good. Never have understood the "I just listen to country" or "I just listen to hip hop".
Yeah, I am a huge music aficionado. My collection includes songs I enjoy from pretty much every genre, including some indy stuff that crosses multiple genres. My wife is the opposite... she doesn't listen to much music at all (usually drives with the sound off), but when she does its primarily just modern country. She listens to the radio when I'm also in the car unless I put something specific on.

Contemporary is VERY compelling, because it would be fun to wade through some stuff I grew up... Primus and the Clash and Op Ivy. lol

I know you meant "more contemporary than that", but I am getting old. LOL
Hehe, I'm right there with you. I enjoy the 60s-80s stuff I grew up with, but find myself drawn to the latest sounds and bands. I'm a big fan of industrial and electronica-influenced music, particularly interesting mixes with well placed sampling and cross genre influences. But at the same time I'm also a fan of vanilla pop. So again, my tastes are pretty broad. By contemporary I mostly mean anything from the 90's to current, though primarily 2010+.

Last edited by Merlin; 10-07-2015 at 12:58 PM.
Uncle Fishbits (10-09-2015)
Old 10-07-2015, 01:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 735 Likes on 470 Posts

Excellent post Uncle Fishbits I'm a huge fan of strings as I played viola in high school. But I now like my strings with a little bass as in... Pink Floyd, Great White, and then there's always the old stand by head bangers, Heart, Boston, Def Leopard, Rush. And then there is a song every Jaguar owner can identify with... Sammy Hagar's "I can't drive 55" which I always wanted to cue up if ever pulled over.

Old 10-09-2015, 04:14 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

These artists/albums/eras are pretty special to me and my favorites in a car:
Jean-Luc Ponty: (Enigmatic Ocean, Cosmic Messenger, A Taste For Passion)
Rush: (Mid 70's-late 80's era)
Joe Satriani: (Joe Satriani 1995)
Henry Mancini: (The Best of Mancini)
Many others already named..
I like everything from Classical to Jazz to Hard Rock....rap & hip hop need not apply...oh and very light on the Country...and the new Country is not the old.

Old 10-09-2015, 01:31 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 1 of 19
Excellent post Uncle Fishbits I'm a huge fan of strings as I played viola in high school. But I now like my strings with a little bass as in... Pink Floyd, Great White, and then there's always the old stand by head bangers, Heart, Boston, Def Leopard, Rush. And then there is a song every Jaguar owner can identify with... Sammy Hagar's "I can't drive 55" which I always wanted to cue up if ever pulled over.
I could space out happily to Floyd. Interstellar Overdrive! =)

You know, the asteroids theme from Star Wars is sort of fun to drive on the highway.... vroom (link starts at 3.15 or so, embed does not)

I just looked up "car songs of the 50's and 60's and voila... this thing is the BEST. lol I know it's a bit old school, but how fun... Way Back Attack - Top 100 Car Songs of the '50s and '60s

Old 10-09-2015, 01:33 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 1BlinkGone
These artists/albums/eras are pretty special to me and my favorites in a car:
Jean-Luc Ponty: (Enigmatic Ocean, Cosmic Messenger, A Taste For Passion)
Rush: (Mid 70's-late 80's era)
Joe Satriani: (Joe Satriani 1995)
Henry Mancini: (The Best of Mancini)
Many others already named..
I like everything from Classical to Jazz to Hard Rock....rap & hip hop need not apply...oh and very light on the Country...and the new Country is not the old.
Mancini is not only prolific and easily my all time favorite... he's got to be one of the most under-appreciated artists ever.

Old 10-09-2015, 04:43 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Mancini is not only prolific and easily my all time favorite... he's got to be one of the most under-appreciated artists ever.
Absolutely. I agree, sir...what a monstrous talent that often was overshadowed by Hollywood & film. Many movies and TV shows would not have had the impact they did without Mancini's contributions that they were adorned with.

BTW, Pink Floyd is one of my favorites as well- driving or not.

BTW- wanted to add Queen's THE GAME to my list. Cheers!

Last edited by 1BlinkGone; 10-09-2015 at 05:14 PM.
Old 10-09-2015, 10:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,604 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BlinkGone
BTW, Pink Floyd is one of my favorites as well- driving or not!
As someone who was listening today to "Wish You Were Here", may I suggest David Gilmour's superb - really quite beautiful - new recording, "Rattle That Lock"?

Old 10-12-2015, 12:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
As someone who was listening today to "Wish You Were Here", may I suggest David Gilmour's superb - really quite beautiful - new recording, "Rattle That Lock"?
I like to listen to Pulse's Shine On at long stoplights. I think gilmour is touring right now.. March / April 2016 North America: About | David Gilmour

Old 10-12-2015, 12:31 PM
Received 173 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by RickyJay52

I just went and had a bit of a listen, the actual rattle that lock track isn't great but the album sounds good, but it is very much a pink Floyd of the Wish you were here/ dark side of the moon era, some of it you would swear was lifted striaght out of those albums.

Quick Reply: Music for your drives.