F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MUST-HAVE OPTIONS on the f type?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 12:42 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default MUST-HAVE OPTIONS on the f type?

Hi folks, as we are getting close to getting ours in the pre-owned market, what are some of the must-have options on the car that you think we must go for? It will be used as a daily - short 2 mile commute to work. Curious to know what current owners consider as a "must-have" option
Thank you all~

Old 08-20-2016, 01:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 592 Likes on 362 Posts

My must-haves:
- Front parking sensors as visibility is poor. I could live without the rear view camera most of the time, but it comes with the pack.
- If getting a pale colour then the black pack accessories or CF if that's your thing, if a darker colour then the standard silver accessories contrast nicely.
- Cruise control (if not standard in your market) as that gives you the speed limiter which will save your driving license.
- Switchable exhaust because loud all the time is too loud for late nights and in built up areas, but in the right place it is fun to make loud noises.
- Adaptive headlamps. Now I've driven cars with them I notice how badly 'straight ahead' headlamps are on bendy roads.
- Keyless entry because it makes me feel like a space pilot.
- If you live somewhere cold, get the heated seats and steering wheel.
- Otherwise will disagree, but I couldn't have the coupe without the glass roof as it opens up the interior.

My highly desirables:
- The premium leather finished seats rather than the plasticy-feel standard leather ones. This almost made my must-haves list, but I don't drive naked so could live with them.
- Above-base sound system.
- Reverse traffic detection is useful for reversing in carparks when you have a large vehicle each side of you where you can't see approaching traffic. It warns you if anything is approaching from either side long before you get into visible range.

My "couldn't care less" list ("could care less" to you Americans):
- Wheels are easily changed for under $1k if you want different ones
- Extended leather headlining (on the coupe with the glass roof you get the same amount as the convertible, so really it is only the A pillars and you will never notice it).
- Auto high beams - You will override it so much it may as well not be there. I suspect it is usable on dual direction roads with no central barrier (town streets?) but on highways it rarely picks up the oncoming headlamps.
- Sun visors with mirrors. When you eventually notice your car has them you will not stop laughing at them for at least an hour. A total waste of the engineering effort required to design and build them.

The following 4 users liked this post by xdave:
Burt Gummer (08-21-2016), curtw (03-07-2024), paul2000 (08-21-2016), Pauluucho (11-21-2021)
Old 08-20-2016, 03:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

V-8 !
Lawrence

The following users liked this post:
slojotaa (08-21-2016)
Old 08-20-2016, 03:22 PM
Received 176 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Mulmur
V-8 !
Lawrence
+1

and a top that drops. The better to hear the glorious music from the tail pipes.

The following 2 users liked this post by Dogbreath!:
Schwabe (08-25-2016), slojotaa (08-21-2016)
Old 08-20-2016, 05:13 PM
Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Mulmur
V-8 !
Lawrence

V8 no other options are necessary

Old 08-20-2016, 07:06 PM

LOL thanks guys

Old 08-20-2016, 09:40 PM
Received 173 Likes on 125 Posts

The things my car doesn't have which I would like are the front sensors, as others have said it is difficult to see and judge the front corners. Also I don't have the blind spot indicators in the mirrors which isnt necessary with the top down in the vert but is highly desirable with the top up and I would suggest should be mandatory in the coupe along with the rear cross traffic detection.

Old 08-21-2016, 04:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by AnD3rew
...I would suggest should be mandatory in the coupe along with the rear cross traffic detection.
+1.

Old 08-21-2016, 06:03 AM
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Driving further than two miles each way, not the best thing for an engine, take the long way.

Old 08-21-2016, 06:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

Well, to be serious for a change on this topic:

The standard car even in base trim looks and sounds wonderful. And for me at least the seats are comfortable.

Useful extras: Parking sensors on the front, heated screen (useful during the winter when parked away from home), auto lights (but not the auto high beam), adaptive lights (there are many twisty unlit roads near me), floor mats.

Nice to haves: The Morzine grey headlining (opens up the interior nicely without the weight/expense of the glass roof), alloy shift paddles, 20" wheels, the fatter steering wheel (I have very long fingers), maybe the pedal trims.

The above is as much a reflection of where I drive and what I use the car for as personal taste.

The shopping car has more toys...

Old 08-21-2016, 09:03 AM
Received 176 Likes on 132 Posts

Be careful with the heated windshield. My boss has a Range Rover with it and his toll road transponder doesn't work because of the windshield.

Old 08-21-2016, 10:00 AM
Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Really "must have"

Yesterday I took time to clean my car inside and out. I noticed two dime-sized scrapes/wrinkles in the nose XPEL; one on the lowest right portion of the painted spoiler at the other on the right side of the grill edge. I have been running into things when I park the car. I've had the car for a year now and parking is the hardest part because, not that I want to park it, but I just can't see where that nose is and it is always out there a lot farther in front than I expect. Also, every parking spot is different: there are concrete stops of various heights, pieces of rebar sticking up, fences of different heights, etc., and in winter snow is pushed up and freezes to ice at all kinds of heights. I'd strongly recommend the parking sensors, not that they are perfect. You have to push the button to activate them when parking forward, and screen seems to react too slowly in any case. I've already hit something I haven't seen by that time. The Sto-and-Show is a great "feeler gauge" as noted by others, and I have one. Get one. Also, I am more convinced than ever that backing into parking spaces is more prudent to save the nose. The rear is quite short; I never hit anything backing.

Also, I find the rear camera invaluable; it gives me 4 rear view mirrors. It's perfect for back-in parking and very effective with the wide-angle view; it looks low to the ground; there are no surprizes. In the US the parking sensors and backup camera come in the Vision Pack. Get that option for sure.

Beyond that, all you absolutely need is a motor, a transmission, and some wheels. Any motor will do; I'm no purist. The Base has plenty of power to get me in trouble at almost any time. You need a tranny to get the power from the motor to the drive wheels, and I find the auto just superb. It gives me the ability to spin the engine with the accelerator and 8-speeds to choose from while I happily toggle the paddles, with minimal physical effort (I'm older now and never feel physically beat-up driving in any condition: city/sport/road cruise for hours.) You needs wheels, and for me any will do. I have the 18 inch Velas which I think look terrific and have more sidewall height to help protect expensive rims in pothole and road transition conditions. They perform brilliantly for me, but I am not a track guy. Those wheels provide all the driving balance I can ever use in any circumstance, and in total the car makes me a better driver than I really am.

Then there's the satisfaction of ownership of a fine automobile. I look for every opportunity to drive the car, clean it up, and feel good that she's down there in garage waiting to take me to my next destination brilliantly. And you'll meet lots of interesting people everyday who just want to talk and tell you what a beautiful piece of automotive technology you own, and they are happy to share that with you and hear your comments. I'm never smug, but humbled. Get one you can afford, and it'll give you a new perspective on the good things in life. It did for me.

The following 2 users liked this post by mjm3457:
mptx-ftype (08-21-2016), no401k (08-21-2016)
Old 08-21-2016, 10:05 AM
Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Dogbreath!
Be careful with the heated windshield. My boss has a Range Rover with it and his toll road transponder doesn't work because of the windshield.
there is a little cutout in the windshield for the placement of ez pass so that it works.

Old 08-21-2016, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Dogbreath!
That doesn't have anything to do with the heated screen. In the newest JLR windshields (and many other makes) they are including an infrared reflective layer to keep the cabin cool. This layer contains metals that screw with radar detection and RF.

Old 08-21-2016, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by mjm3457
Yesterday I took time to clean my car inside and out. I noticed two dime-sized scrapes/wrinkles in the nose XPEL; one on the lowest right portion of the painted spoiler at the other on the right side of the grill edge. I have been running into things when I park the car. I've had the car for a year now and parking is the hardest part because, not that I want to park it, but I just can't see where that nose is and it is always out there a lot farther in front than I expect. Also, every parking spot is different: there are concrete stops of various heights, pieces of rebar sticking up, fences of different heights, etc., and in winter snow is pushed up and freezes to ice at all kinds of heights. I'd strongly recommend the parking sensors, not that they are perfect. You have to push the button to activate them when parking forward, and screen seems to react too slowly in any case. I've already hit something I haven't seen by that time. The Sto-and-Show is a great "feeler gauge" as noted by others, and I have one. Get one. Also, I am more convinced than ever that backing into parking spaces is more prudent to save the nose. The rear is quite short; I never hit anything backing.
Oh wow, good to know! will certainly look for ones with parking sensors. I think this will probably be our first car with kinda a "long nose" so we never expect that parking issue. Thanks for chiming in!

Old 08-21-2016, 04:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

$1k to change to whatever wheels you want may be a little thin. Those wanting to go to the carbon blades, Tornados, or Cyclones from other/more basic options in the US should expect to pay $2700-$3000 for OEM like new examples and get maybe $1k for their current wheels, or about $1700-$2700 out of pocket.

The dealer is always an option, but many wheels are close to $1k/each there.

Wheels shouldn't be a deal breaker, but if a car just happens to have what you want it is a nice plus and means a lot less hassle.

Old 08-21-2016, 06:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by ShaunPA
there is a little cutout in the windshield for the placement of ez pass so that it works.
+1. Right at the top of the windshield on either side of the sensor box.