F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MY 17 R - vision package question

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 08:02 PM
Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts
Default MY 17 R - vision package question

Looking at a MY 17 R (lease) there is a black with vision.....but I think I would prefer Grey...problem is that lease Grey's with vision package are rare birds around here.

Do any of you have the F type without the backup camera and approaching traffic alert and if so....is it OK or do you wish you had it. ?
CRA

Old 02-01-2017, 08:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 895 Posts

My F Type has a rear camera but my XKR didnt. Really, you dont need it in these cars because the lip of the hatch is low, you have sensors, and the vision from the side mirrors is good. I'd rather have it than not, but I didnt miuss it in the XKR whereas it was critical in the XF, and you need it in the XE as well with its high boot line.

Approaching traffic alert just makes the BLIS flash when a car is approaching, doesnt it? I didnt have either in the XKR and it wasnt an issue, but I would much rather have them in the F Type because the vision out of the sides is a little impaired.

If it is the cross traffic alert (which warns you of cars coming toward you from 90 degrees), I'd live without it though it is nice to have it in the XE when you are reversing out of parking spaces.

The following users liked this post:
CRS 123 (02-01-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 08:28 PM
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

I feel that the rear view camera and the BLIS alert is essential. Rear quarters on both sides impair your view. I'm sure there are better drivers than me that would not agree, but for the driving impaired the Vision Pack is a big help.

CRS 123 (02-01-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 08:37 PM
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Mine doesn't have it and I don't have a problem with it.

CRS 123 (02-01-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 09:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

I have the vision pack, including rear view camera, Blind Spot Monitor (BSM - I think it's the same thing referred to above as BLIS) and Reverse Traffic Detection (RTD).
The rear camera is nice to have but I for one rarely need it, I find using the mirrors and reverse parking sensors good enough 99% of the time.
I find the BSM a useless gimmick and a bit annoying, I would turn it off if I could. If you adjust all three mirrors properly there are no "blind" spots when driving forwards, other than maybe the rather wide A pillars which mirrors can't prevent anyway.
But the one that has saved me a few times when reversing out of parking spots is the RTD, I've never had it on a car before but it's a godsend in the F-Type. There is zero rear vision to the side in the F-Type when reversing out of a parking spot if there are cars parked either side, you simply cannot see if anything is coming until you have backed out at least half a car length, and by then it could be too late. The RTD has fired up a few times and every time it alerted me to oncoming traffic I could not see, and saved me from a potentially embarrassing or costly situation.

CRS 123 (02-01-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 10:10 PM
Received 89 Likes on 57 Posts

Reverse Traffic Detection, as OzXFR points out, are essential in backing out of spots due to no visability. Saved my ***, literally, several times.
My rear camera is set to a shortcut on the main menu so I can keep an eye on the bad guys chasing me and admire the afterburner exhausts on cold nights.

CRS 123 (02-01-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 10:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
I find the BSM a useless gimmick and a bit annoying, I would turn it off if I could. If you adjust all three mirrors properly there are no "blind" spots when driving forwards.
I thought so as well until I drove through a nasty thunderstorm. I couldn't see at all using my side mirrors, however BSM was working well and was there to reassure me.

CRS 123 (02-01-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 10:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

I don't believe the rear sensors are available without the rear camera.

CRS 123 (02-01-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
My F Type has a rear camera but my XKR didnt. Really, you dont need it in these cars because the lip of the hatch is low, you have sensors, and the vision from the side mirrors is good. I'd rather have it than not, but I didnt miuss it in the XKR whereas it was critical in the XF, and you need it in the XE as well with its high boot line.

Approaching traffic alert just makes the BLIS flash when a car is approaching, doesnt it? I didnt have either in the XKR and it wasnt an issue, but I would much rather have them in the F Type because the vision out of the sides is a little impaired.

If it is the cross traffic alert (which warns you of cars coming toward you from 90 degrees), I'd live without it though it is nice to have it in the XE when you are reversing out of parking spaces.
This is perfect since you have the XE and F TYPE to compare. I know that with the XE , it's the cross traffic sensors that beep for instance when backing out of parking spaces, driveways and such, and are a big help. Do you find that when backing out with the F Type, carefully of course, that you can see fairly well?...or is it more an act of faith? :-)
CRS

Old 02-01-2017, 11:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 214 Posts

You didn't say whether you were looking at the coupe or the vert. When I test drove both (I was already pretty much sold on the coupe looks) one thing that did concern me was the lack of visibility over your shoulder in the vert with the roof up. In that case I think the vision package for the camera and RTD would be a must and probably the BSD too.

With the coupe maybe you could get away without it if you reverse into parking spots or ease out very carefully. But mine came with it and like others have said, a couple of times it has given me early warning that I might otherwise have missed.

CRS 123 (02-02-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 11:42 PM
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by CRS 123
This is perfect since you have the XE and F TYPE to compare. I know that with the XE , it's the cross traffic sensors that beep for instance when backing out of parking spaces, driveways and such, and are a big help. Do you find that when backing out with the F Type, carefully of course, that you can see fairly well?...or is it more an act of faith? :-)
CRS
For me, I say a brief prayer when backing out of space when larger vehicles are parked on either side of me. The rear warning is all you've got. Without it, you'll know there is a problem concurrent with the "oh ****" moment.

CRS 123 (02-02-2017)
Old 02-02-2017, 07:10 AM
Received 176 Likes on 132 Posts

I wouldn't own my vert without the BSM and RTD. With the top up the blind spots are huge. Both have saved my ***.

CRS 123 (02-02-2017)
Old 02-02-2017, 07:16 AM
Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

I have the coupe and I think there is a huge blind spot without the camera.

Larry

CRS 123 (02-02-2017)
Old 02-02-2017, 08:29 AM
Received 218 Likes on 160 Posts

Have the dealer get you a grey one with the vision. I can't imagine driving this thing without the vision pack.

CRS 123 (02-02-2017)
Old 02-02-2017, 10:34 AM
Received 400 Likes on 211 Posts

If you can hold out for a few more months, Jaguar is just now beginning to ramp up production on 2018MY. Granted discounts on a 2018MY will no where as steep as a 2017MY but at least you'll get a car with the color and options that you want. Don't settle.

Old 02-02-2017, 11:19 AM
Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteTardis
If you can hold out for a few more months, Jaguar is just now beginning to ramp up production on 2018MY. Granted discounts on a 2018MY will no where as steep as a 2017MY but at least you'll get a car with the color and options that you want. Don't settle.
I agree!!

My Wife wanted a white one, we went down to the Dealership and our Salesperson, a good friend of ours, said she wouldn't sell us one without the vision pack, there were two on the lot but they didn't have it, so we waited a few weeks until she could get one.

The vision pack only has to save you once to pay for itself.

CRS 123 (02-02-2017)
Old 02-02-2017, 08:38 PM

I held firm on the vision pack, and they located an anomite Grey with black pack and vision package. It amazes me that JLR would not include this as standard on all trims with this level of car. Maybe they think everyone drives in the countryside and never goes into a parking lot:-). So...about ready to pull the trigger on a lease...still putting the final touches on the negotiation. I'm a low mileage driver 8000 miles a year...lease will have a 10000 mile cap. Ill let you know more details as they become more concrete.

I found the build quality of the f type to be much more substantial than my XE...and for what it is...the XE is not bad. I'm 6 foot, and found the cabin to be very comfortable, not tight or claustrophobic at all. Ride was actually quieter than my XE. Better soundproofing I imagine. And the ride seemed a bit less harsh on bumpy roads...I was expecting the opposite.NOTE: Don't Drive an F type unless your willing to become obsessed with somehow, someway, finding a way to lease or own one.
CRS

Last edited by CRS 123; 02-02-2017 at 08:42 PM.