Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MY 2016 Meridian

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 02:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts
Default MY 2016 Meridian

Just curious if anyone with a MY 2016 has experienced the Meridian issues that have been reported by so many.

I've adjusted my Bass and Sub volume down just slightly, and I am extremely happy with the sound quality. After reading all the threads on here about the problems with the sound system I was worried what I might find.

Just wondering if I got lucky, or perhaps Jaguar put in some extra sound deadening or attached grill and speakers differently on the 2016...

The following users liked this post:
Orkney (05-10-2015)
Old 05-01-2015, 04:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by TXJagR
Just curious if anyone with a MY 2016 has experienced the Meridian issues that have been reported by so many.

I've adjusted my Bass and Sub volume down just slightly, and I am extremely happy with the sound quality. After reading all the threads on here about the problems with the sound system I was worried what I might find.

Just wondering if I got lucky, or perhaps Jaguar put in some extra sound deadening or attached grill and speakers differently on the 2016...
I am very happy to hear this. I hope that if "Jaguar" fixed the issues, that they push back to the team and explain what they did and make this right by the rest of us. It is key, and JLR are aware up to the CEO of my displeasure. More on this soon , "Hopefully"!!!

Old 05-01-2015, 06:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Glad you started this thread as I'd be interested too in whether they've resolved the issue in the 16s. However, there are '14 and '15 owners who also "got lucky," and I continue to be very pleased with my '14.

Nonetheless, I do concede that there were far too many reported problems with the earlier model years, and I hope they've fixed it.

Old 05-02-2015, 01:14 AM
Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by slojotaa
I am very happy to hear this. I hope that if "Jaguar" fixed the issues, that they push back to the team and explain what they did and make this right by the rest of us. It is key, and JLR are aware up to the CEO of my displeasure. More on this soon , "Hopefully"!!!
Funny you should say that. I got a call from the CEO's office on Friday morning as well.

I don't believe they've ever fixed the problem personally as the communication process over faults between the dealers, JLR and within (CRC to Tech) clearly is not robust.

Like you. I hope to deliver positive news soon as well. All I'll say is that its the first time they actually seem to be doing something beyond "take it the dealer." It did start there again, but I actually think they may take a look at the car that has just been returned by Autocar magazine where they have reported the fault.

I have my fingers crossed.

The following 2 users liked this post by mawheele:
slojotaa (05-02-2015), swajames (05-02-2015)
Old 05-02-2015, 03:48 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mawheele
Funny you should say that. I got a call from the CEO's office on Friday morning as well.

I don't believe they've ever fixed the problem personally as the communication process over faults between the dealers, JLR and within (CRC to Tech) clearly is not robust.

Like you. I hope to deliver positive news soon as well. All I'll say is that its the first time they actually seem to be doing something beyond "take it the dealer." It did start there again, but I actually think they may take a look at the car that has just been returned by Autocar magazine where they have reported the fault.

We shall see soon, we shall see! Enjoy the weekend!

Old 05-02-2015, 04:36 PM
Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Picked it up today. No rattles. Sounds better in DTS.

When playing from Iphone via bluetooth, it's better if phone is in cupholder rather than my left shorts pocket as it cuts out sometimes.

If you move the soundstage to the rear, practically nothing comes out. I guess it's designed that way since it is a two seater.

Old 05-02-2015, 05:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DuhCar
Picked it up today. No rattles. Sounds better in DTS.

When playing from Iphone via bluetooth, it's better if phone is in cupholder rather than my left shorts pocket as it cuts out sometimes.

If you move the soundstage to the rear, practically nothing comes out. I guess it's designed that way since it is a two seater.

You know that...

Congratz on the new ride! Now get off the internet and go break her in right!

Old 05-02-2015, 05:24 PM

You know that...

Congratz on the new ride! Now get off the internet and go break her in right!
LOL. Since noon, I've been to the beer store, the pet food store and A&W.

Had at least half a dozen complements in 5 hours!

Old 05-02-2015, 05:56 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DuhCar
LOL. Since noon, I've been to the beer store, the pet food store and A&W.

Had at least half a dozen complements in 5 hours!
LOL, NICEeeeeee!

DuhCar (05-02-2015)
Old 05-03-2015, 02:56 PM

Yes, I am quite happy with the sound too. I originally started with the bass and sub down at about 35%, but it was just the higher end I was hearing. I moved everything up to about halfway and am ihappy with the sound. I can even understand Jay Z's lyrics now.

Old 05-03-2015, 04:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Mine sounds good as well.. and I also noticed that DTS gives a better sound stage than Meridian setting, or otherwise the rear speakers come more alive in DTS pretty well from any music source.
When I take it in for its annual oil, I plan to ask about this issue as it seems to me the Meridian setting should have rear speaker engagement as well.
Otherwise.. all good.
Lawrence.

Old 05-03-2015, 05:22 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mulmur
Mine sounds good as well.. and I also noticed that DTS gives a better sound stage than Meridian setting, or otherwise the rear speakers come more alive in DTS pretty well from any music source.
When I take it in for its annual oil, I plan to ask about this issue as it seems to me the Meridian setting should have rear speaker engagement as well.
Otherwise.. all good.
Lawrence.
I could be wrong, but I think in Meridian mode, the rear speakers are more like "surround sound" speakers and only funnel "special effects" and other audio at a much lower level than the "main" door speakers.

Old 05-04-2015, 03:37 AM
Tel
Received 233 Likes on 143 Posts

Currently have a MY2016 Coupé with the 770W Meridian Surround.

The general quality of the sound in all formats, DAB/CD/MP3 is generally poor.
Even with the Bass and Sub set low, the reproduction quality (in comparison with a MY15) is far poorer than that of our base system here in the UK.

Old 05-10-2015, 11:32 AM

Well, despite chasing again on Thursday I did not get a reply from the CEO's office. Its a week after she said she would get back to me confirming she was owning the issue.

Either she was away and didn't say.
They are researching the issue.
Or, I've been let down.

I'm staying positive and think its likely to be they are still investigating the Coupe R they just got from Autocar to understand and fix the issue.

I'll keep you up to date as I hear more.

Old 05-10-2015, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member

Well, despite chasing again on Thursday I did not get a reply from the CEO's office. Its a week after she said she would get back to me confirming she was owning the issue.

Either she was away and didn't say.
They are researching the issue.
Or, I've been let down.

I'm staying positive and think its likely to be they are still investigating the Coupe R they just got from Autocar to understand and fix the issue.

I'll keep you up to date as I hear more.
I so hate posting this not to you, as we are pioneers in getting this corrected and right. I got a note after all of the sweetness and heavy petting that an adolescent can ever wish for, and guess what. I couldn't leave the dance with her. A flat out......so sorry but can't help you, go back to the retailer and blah blah blah. Shuck and jive crap from them, and a complete waste of time, totally!!!

I am going to try one more time with the retailer on Tuesday, but am, in parallel, looking into the "Focals" or something else in the mid-range. Note, the highs in this system are "tremendous", probably the best tweeters I have heard anywhere. I understand that the mid-range speakers are crap, thus the change out.

One more thing, I got a "stiff warning" from JLR not to mess with this system without retailer knowledge, or get this....."IT WILL VOID THE WARRANTY POTENTIALLY". How stupid these folks are to add insult to injury on us.

I have taken counsel from our other friends on this site, not to stress any longer on an issue that an audio guy can fix for us. I will probably go to my guy and replace the mid-range speakers with the best I could find that fit. However....one last thing.

After 2 months at this, i still can't get the JLR or Meridian folks to give me the dimensions of the speakers in the doors. Flat out avoidance.

Multiple levels of crap, and as I said, it is a pure case of "blue *****" at the moment, promises, niceness, bubble gum peppermints etc. from JLR in europe and NA, and still no better off today than when I first started the journey. Cannot let this interfere in my experience any longer, I have bigger fish to fry..., and aside form this loving my "F" type and "XJL" too much. They must know this :-)!

Good Luck, and don't wait to be let down. I waited and was "shocked", and felt stupid and should have known this.

Old 05-10-2015, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by slojotaa
I so hate posting this not to you, as we are pioneers in getting this corrected and right. I got a note after all of the sweetness and heavy petting that an adolescent can ever wish for, and guess what. I couldn't leave the dance with her. A flat out......so sorry but can't help you, go back to the retailer and blah blah blah. Shuck and jive crap from them, and a complete waste of time, totally!!!

I am going to try one more time with the retailer on Tuesday, but am, in parallel, looking into the "Focals" or something else in the mid-range. Note, the highs in this system are "tremendous", probably the best tweeters I have heard anywhere. I understand that the mid-range speakers are crap, thus the change out.

One more thing, I got a "stiff warning" from JLR not to mess with this system without retailer knowledge, or get this....."IT WILL VOID THE WARRANTY POTENTIALLY". How stupid these folks are to add insult to injury on us.

I have taken counsel from our other friends on this site, not to stress any longer on an issue that an audio guy can fix for us. I will probably go to my guy and replace the mid-range speakers with the best I could find that fit. However....one last thing.

After 2 months at this, i still can't get the JLR or Meridian folks to give me the dimensions of the speakers in the doors. Flat out avoidance.

Multiple levels of crap, and as I said, it is a pure case of "blue *****" at the moment, promises, niceness, bubble gum peppermints etc. from JLR in europe and NA, and still no better off today than when I first started the journey. Cannot let this interfere in my experience any longer, I have bigger fish to fry..., and aside form this loving my "F" type and "XJL" too much. They must know this :-)!

Good Luck, and don't wait to be let down. I waited and was "shocked", and felt stupid and should have known this.
I hear ya. I have one last effort up my sleeve with the support of a significant customer complaint article in a major UK automotive magazine. They'll really hate the negative PR just at the time they are trying to promote XE.

I've been holding off hoping they may have seen reason and gained some values. I'll give it till Wednesday then press the button.

I normally start to cycle my car at this timeframe and my experience with JLR is making me want to move on. I'm thinking of switching into a new Alfa 4C Spider. I've always liked these low volume cars that have a 'club' like following and high manufacturer engagement. Jaguar treat F-Type like they do XF despite much higher margins and a very different customer base. I really enjoyed my ownership of Lotus - ownership went beyond the car. Even Porsche do a much better job despite their fairly high volumes.

And as you say, life is too short. I'll press the button and move on.

slojotaa (05-10-2015)
Old 05-10-2015, 06:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,604 Likes on 861 Posts

As I wrote in another thread [re] the stress associated with a Forum member waiting for his F-Type and not getting any answers about why the, then on-going, delay, I read an interesting article in Wired Magazine several years ago about stress with the greater stress being those things which we have no control over. This likely applies just as well to those having ongoing issues of one kind or another with their F-Type audio systems. Shame.

In situations like this - and I'm not in the least suggesting giving up or dropping your quest for, in this case, audio nirvana (in any car, not a great prospect...but, yes, I definitely "get it") - I usually advise what I call "healthy detachment".

This by no means means apathy, it simply means you continue to care - about a thing, a person, etc. - but "remove yourself" for your own good.

Good luck guys!!!!

Last edited by RickyJay52; 05-10-2015 at 06:25 PM.
slojotaa (05-10-2015)
Old 05-10-2015, 08:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
As I wrote in another thread [re] the stress associated with a Forum member waiting for his F-Type and not getting any answers about why the, then on-going, delay, I read an interesting article in Wired Magazine several years ago about stress with the greater stress being those things which we have no control over.
I still don't have a car btw. But when i get it, i'll comment here.

Old 05-10-2015, 09:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,604 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by Stohlen
I still don't have a car btw. But when i get it, i'll comment here.
WHOA! And WTF?!

I know I'm not always up-to-date here (and obviously do not intend to "feed your flames" of despair or disgust (both) BUT I had hoped by now you received your F-Type???

Have you, at the very least, received any answers or reasons for the delay? (Didn't I read that your car came in but there's a fix which needs to be done?. I could have sworn I saw a post (by DJS?) with a depiction of fireworks going off in tribute of the arrival of your car? Am I mistaking yours for someone else's?

Best regards,
Jay

Old 05-10-2015, 09:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
I know I'm not always up-to-date here (and obviously do not intend to "feed your flames" of despair or disgust (both) BUT I had hoped by now you received your F-Type???

Have you, at the very least, received any answers or reasons for the delay? (Didn't I read that your car came in but there's a fix which needs to be done?. I could have sworn I saw a post (by DJS?) with a depiction of fireworks going off in tribute of the arrival of your car? Am I mistaking yours for someone else's?
Nope, that wasn't me. My order thread has all the details, but basically for the last 10 days I've been waiting for a similar car from Florida to arrive after i refused to continue waiting for the one I ordered (they still couldn't give me an ETA for the part as of 4/30). It should have been in already, but alas... nothing ever is on time with this stupid purchase.

Sorry for the thread jack

RickyJay52 (05-10-2015)

Quick Reply: MY 2016 Meridian