F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MY Covid-19 Forged Carbon Fiber Project

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2020, 07:54 AM
Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts
Default MY Covid-19 Forged Carbon Fiber Project

Hey Guys! Hope everyone is staying safe! I finished my Covid Forged Carbon fiber project & thought i'd share the results. TBH i'm super proud how they turned out lol. Got my photographer to do a impromptu shoot for the jag.

The forged carbon fiber is actual carbon fiber. I used a silicone molding agent to mold the original parts & used 1/4" chopped carbon fiber with resin & vacuum bagging to get the final parts. Plus a **** load of sanding/polishing lol.

I did the side blades, hood vents, side vents & front side lips

Last edited by Joseph Ng; 07-31-2020 at 08:30 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Joseph Ng:
Arne (07-31-2020), madmax1911 (07-31-2020), ORG (08-03-2020), supersportmtl (07-31-2020)
Old 07-31-2020, 08:15 AM
Received 61 Likes on 27 Posts

Hard to tell from the photos, how did the JAGUAR wordmark come out on the side vents? Looks clean, how hard was it to fabricate the mounts?

Old 07-31-2020, 08:17 AM
Received 198 Likes on 119 Posts

Looks awesome, very unique 👍
How difficult was it to do the side skirts ? I was told they are difficult to remove.

Old 07-31-2020, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by lpf4
Hard to tell from the photos, how did the JAGUAR wordmark come out on the side vents? Looks clean, how hard was it to fabricate the mounts?
Really good! I actually infilled the wordmark with gloss black paint to make it pop more as well.

I used a heat gun to remove the chrome part and just molded the chrome part.

For hood vents The molding process actually molded the existing mounts.

For the side blades those i took out of the old ones and put into the new part.

Old 07-31-2020, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by madmax1911
Looks awesome, very unique 👍
How difficult was it to do the side skirts ? I was told they are difficult to remove.
It was Absolutely awful to make lol. Never again

To remove the side blades to be honest its not too difficult, if anything its just tedious to remove all the clips and screws

Old 07-31-2020, 08:38 AM
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

dude this is awesome! how did you even come to even do this? what are the steps?? do you need equipment?

Old 07-31-2020, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Holy F type
dude this is awesome! how did you even come to even do this? what are the steps?? do you need equipment?
Thanks!! I've always loved the look of forged carbon fiber (not a huge fan of normal carbon look)

TBH In hindsight i wish i did document the process, it was such a great learning experience.

For me I learned everything by just watching youtube to learn how to create molds etc. Search for cosplay stuff, alot of resources to create silicone molds.
This process takes time for each part. About a week from removing to mounting new part back on. So expect to drive around with missing panel pieces

As for supplies, I got everything off amazon.

1: Smooth on Silicone mold
2: Epoxy Resin (make sure its UV resistant & not too thick) However, note all Carbon fiber usually yellows over time. My friend's M3's carbon fiber engine brace from BMW has started turning yellow
3: Vacuum Chamber
4: Vacuum bagger
5: Molding Clay
6: Glue gun
7: Sand paper
8: Polisher
9: 2k Clear Coat
10: Automotive adhesive

Steps:
1: Remove Parts
2: Clean,
3: Use molding clay to set one side of the part, I used the injection mold line as the parting line.
4: Use pour over silicone molding material (In hindsight i would have used a slightly firmer silicone
5: Once one side is molded, flip the part and pour other side of mold.
6: I used a 2 part resin that was UV resistant, Vacuum chambered to remove bubbles
7: Lay in the Chopped carbon fiber with the resin & Closed the mold
8: Make sure you have vents in the underside so when you vacuum the part it will have vents where the air can escape
9: I just used a kitchen vacuum bagger to vacuum the parts lol
10: Let part cute for over 48hrs
11: Remove part, trim to original part size
12: At this stage the part will not be be perfect by anymeans as there would still have been some air bubbles.
13: Using 400grit sand paper sand the part of any larger bumps
14: Using more resin paint on a thin layer, sand and repeat.
15: Doing this process a few times will fill in any pits
16: Progressively sand the part with higher and higher grit of sand paper
17: I stop sanding the part with 800grit.
18: I used a 2part clear coat with hardener to give it UV protection & harder exterior surface
19: Wet sand clear coat & Polish
20: I put 3M PPF on after as well.

The following 2 users liked this post by Joseph Ng:
Carbuff2 (07-31-2020), Holy F type (07-31-2020)
Old 07-31-2020, 09:39 AM
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

thanks for such a detailed explanation! this is awesome i kinda wanna give it a try..

Old 07-31-2020, 10:08 AM
Received 224 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Joseph Ng
Thanks!! I've always loved the look of forged carbon fiber (not a huge fan of normal carbon look)

TBH In hindsight i wish i did document the process, it was such a great learning experience.

For me I learned everything by just watching youtube to learn how to create molds etc. Search for cosplay stuff, alot of resources to create silicone molds.
This process takes time for each part. About a week from removing to mounting new part back on. So expect to drive around with missing panel pieces

As for supplies, I got everything off amazon.

1: Smooth on Silicone mold
2: Epoxy Resin (make sure its UV resistant & not too thick) However, note all Carbon fiber usually yellows over time. My friend's M3's carbon fiber engine brace from BMW has started turning yellow
3: Vacuum Chamber
4: Vacuum bagger
5: Molding Clay
6: Glue gun
7: Sand paper
8: Polisher
9: 2k Clear Coat
10: Automotive adhesive

Steps:
1: Remove Parts
2: Clean,
3: Use molding clay to set one side of the part, I used the injection mold line as the parting line.
4: Use pour over silicone molding material (In hindsight i would have used a slightly firmer silicone
5: Once one side is molded, flip the part and pour other side of mold.
6: I used a 2 part resin that was UV resistant, Vacuum chambered to remove bubbles
7: Lay in the Chopped carbon fiber with the resin & Closed the mold
8: Make sure you have vents in the underside so when you vacuum the part it will have vents where the air can escape
9: I just used a kitchen vacuum bagger to vacuum the parts lol
10: Let part cute for over 48hrs
11: Remove part, trim to original part size
12: At this stage the part will not be be perfect by anymeans as there would still have been some air bubbles.
13: Using 400grit sand paper sand the part of any larger bumps
14: Using more resin paint on a thin layer, sand and repeat.
15: Doing this process a few times will fill in any pits
16: Progressively sand the part with higher and higher grit of sand paper
17: I stop sanding the part with 800grit.
18: I used a 2part clear coat with hardener to give it UV protection & harder exterior surface
19: Wet sand clear coat & Polish
20: I put 3M PPF on after as well.
I think the forged look is really cool; however, I am still a fan of the traditional carbon weave look like in the blade wheels - I would love to be able to replicate that as you have - regardless of how tedious, it has to be better and more satisfying than paying many thousands to Koshi or TMC (which I am likely to). I would love to know if you can do that; I would gladly pay for set up etc. if not possible, kudos to you - great effort. I have fabricated a lot of things over the years, many on cars, and love the process. You have done amazing work my friend and it looks great on the color combination/configuration of your car!

Old 07-31-2020, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by gg2684
I think the forged look is really cool; however, I am still a fan of the traditional carbon weave look like in the blade wheels - I would love to be able to replicate that as you have - regardless of how tedious, it has to be better and more satisfying than paying many thousands to Koshi or TMC (which I am likely to). I would love to know if you can do that; I would gladly pay for set up etc. if not possible, kudos to you - great effort. I have fabricated a lot of things over the years, many on cars, and love the process. You have done amazing work my friend and it looks great on the color combination/configuration of your car!

Thanks for the kind words! Unfortunately I just don't have time to do anymore parts, nor will my employees let me turn our office back into a workshop LOL

If you are looking for traditional carbon look. This is always an option, just skinning the part.

Old 07-31-2020, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 561 Likes on 361 Posts

I was wondering wht you meant by forged CF. Looks like the CF on the new Lamborghinis.

I may try to tackle something like this, myself...

The following users liked this post:
Joseph Ng (07-31-2020)
Old 07-31-2020, 01:23 PM
Received 68 Likes on 51 Posts

Very nice. This might be a solution for sticky interior parts as more cars become affected by that issue.

Old 07-31-2020, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by SS4PK
Very nice. This might be a solution for sticky interior parts as more cars become affected by that issue.
I did my paddle shifters with non polished forged carbon

Old 07-31-2020, 03:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 561 Likes on 361 Posts

I'm in. I have no experience with C/F, but I've done a bit of custom work with fiberglass for my race bikes. I'm going to study up on this and give it a go. Thanks for the inspiration and the details.

Old 07-31-2020, 04:13 PM
Received 122 Likes on 69 Posts

Hey bud,
Now that you’ve got the moulds... why not sell us forums members the parts?
I’m interested!

Old 07-31-2020, 11:37 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Got chopped carbon and planning to do the same but didn't get time to. What I really want to do is the gray steering wheel trim center console and side sill.