F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first actual flagged race with the car tonight since ownership

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2022, 02:15 AM
Received 136 Likes on 59 Posts
Default My first actual flagged race with the car tonight since ownership

Well, went out to the race spot tonight on the street which is only an 1/8 mile spot and one of the fastest cars out tonight was a newer Mustang that had all bolt ons,, VHT and Drag Radials. With VHT, long burnouts on drag radials he hooking very well even though it was 31 degrees out! He said he had only been to the track once ever and the car ran 11.4 but he needed more seat time with the car at the track as he had never been before.

This was my first time so I launched too high at 2k rpm and it slightly spun, so short shifted a bit and it grabbed right after. He hooked very well, but I was able to stay ahead the entire time and I was ahead by around a car and a half or so through just the 1/8 mile where we had to shut down because of the short spot where we were.

We went back to the race spot. He came over and asked what model my car was as he didn't know what it even was. He was shocked at how quick the car was especially since it was bone stock. The guy was really cool and we talked a bit after.

BTW...if anyone isn't sure...manual mode is quicker as auto mode shifts too high and lays over a bit at top.

I left the race spot and on the way home tried a dead stop again but at 1,500rpm this time because of the 31 degree weather. Car hooked amazingly at that RPM/temp combo and it did .94g acceleration. If I would of done that launch during the actual race it would of been much better but I didn't know at the time.

Just learning the car, but definitely learned quite a bit about it tonight!

Old 02-12-2022, 06:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 985 Likes on 565 Posts

I have not done any short (1/8) runs, but actually find auto normal or dynamic to be quicker in 1/4 - 1/2 mile runs. Mine is not stock though, and has a tuned TCM...so shifts better/quicker.

DC

Old 02-12-2022, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Therock88
I have not done any short (1/8) runs, but actually find auto normal or dynamic to be quicker in 1/4 - 1/2 mile runs. Mine is not stock though, and has a tuned TCM...so shifts better/quicker.

DC
Sooo, I'm going to take the part back for now where I said manually shifting is faster...well it probably is if you did it perfect but might not be normally faster. What actually happened is that I was in normal drive auto and not sport mode auto so that was most likely why the shifts were at the wrong rpm for racing and such. Sport mode auto might be okay. I was in manual mode sport using the shifter when I was able to stay ahead of the built Mustang.

Last edited by TT_6SPD_95; 02-12-2022 at 09:51 AM.
Old 02-12-2022, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by TT_6SPD_95
Sooo, I'm going to take the part back for now where I said manually shifting is faster...well it probably is if you did it perfect but might not be normally faster. What actually happened is that I was in normal drive auto and not sport mode auto so that was most likely why the shifts were at the wrong rpm for racing and such. Sport mode auto might be okay. I was in manual mode sport using the shifter when I was able to stay ahead of the built Mustang.
👌Yep. Whatever works for you. Using Dynamic mode and Sport mode at the last 1/2 mile No Fly Zone, I beat everyone that lined up except some crazy 800+ WHP Audi with launch control. In my Modded 997 Turbo I can usually beat everyone including motorcycles. 2 exceptions - a 2200 HP Lambo from TX (212.7 MPH 1/2 mile), and a 1300 HP GT-R from Michigan(207 MPH 1/2 Mile)…But I drive my Turbo there, race all day, and then drive it home and to work the next week...Those other cars come on trailers get about 3-4 runs in and then break

Looking forward to the next one, as I realized after the fact, last time that my F-Type was out of Water/Methanol and heat soaking like crazy....I have since tapped the larger rear tank, and put a sensor in to alert the fluid level! That was just dumb on my part not to check.

DC

My friend took some crappy iPhone videos of some of the last race, and here is one of the F-Type (without Water/Meth) racing a modified Mercedes AMG GTS. He was terrible at capturing the races and missed most of the launches/starts, but you get the idea. I did not brake boost/power brake/stall it ...Just Sport/Dynamic...and punched it. You can really hear that S/C too with that Yellow Wolf/Mina Gallery Intake :

The following users liked this post:
Sparky H (02-13-2022)
Old 02-13-2022, 10:34 PM

[QUOTE=Therock88;2495854]👌Yep. Whatever works for you. Using Dynamic mode and Sport mode at the last 1/2 mile No Fly Zone, I beat everyone that lined up except some crazy 800+ WHP Audi with launch control. In my Modded 997 Turbo I can usually beat everyone including motorcycles. 2 exceptions - a 2200 HP Lambo from TX (212.7 MPH 1/2 mile), and a 1300 HP GT-R from Michigan(207 MPH 1/2 Mile)…But I drive my Turbo there, race all day, and then drive it home and to work the next week...Those other cars come on trailers get about 3-4 runs in and then break

Looking forward to the next one, as I realized after the fact, last time that my F-Type was out of Water/Methanol and heat soaking like crazy....I have since tapped the larger rear tank, and put a sensor in to alert the fluid level! That was just dumb on my part not to check.

DC

My friend took some crappy iPhone videos of some of the last race, and here is one of the F-Type (without Water/Meth) racing a modified Mercedes AMG GTS. He was terrible at capturing the races and missed most of the launches/starts, but you get the idea. I did not brake boost/power brake/stall it ...Just Sport/Dynamic...and punched it. You can really hear that S/C too with that Yellow Wolf/Mina Gallery Intake /QUOTE]
Very nice! What power were you making and what mph does your Ftype do in the 1/2 mile? Looks like it was moving very well!

Old 02-14-2022, 06:48 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by TT_6SPD_95
Very nice! What power were you making and what mph does your Ftype do in the 1/2 mile? Looks like it was moving very well!
Thanks. Have not Dynoed it, but making assumptions from mods and other similar cars, I would imagine in the mid-to-upper 600's? At the last event, with strict 1/2 mile adherence and from a dig, it was running mid to upper 150's and a high of 160. I was getting heat soak from hot lapping and not realizing my WMI was empty. I was not running any OBDII or gauges to check...Just enjoying the fast driving.

DC

Last edited by Therock88; 02-14-2022 at 07:14 AM.
Old 02-14-2022, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,408 Likes on 1,894 Posts

Good speeds and glad to see you racing!!
I only got to 149 mph at the 1/2 mile in my XJR when running the Texas Mile.
But man was it fun!!

Old 02-14-2022, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Good speeds and glad to see you racing!!
I only got to 149 mph at the 1/2 mile in my XJR when running the Texas Mile.
But man was it fun!!
Thanks. What did you get in the Mile?

DC

Old 02-15-2022, 10:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,408 Likes on 1,894 Posts

My best is 174 mph. Not sure if I will run this year or not. It's moved back to the original airport in Beeville, Tx from Victoria, Tx. No additional mods to my car since the last race so I expect about the same speeds.
Here is my thread;
Jags at the Texas Mile