F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Front Plate Solution

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 09:07 PM
Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts
Default My Front Plate Solution

This is a rubber plate holder like a dealer would use for temporary plates. The plate fits into rubber slots and is held securely. It is also screwed in. The two rubber arms have large two large rubber buttons on each side so when inserted through the front grate will securely hold the plate in. To remove, just lift up and work the rubber arms out. $17 online b

Attached Thumbnails My Front Plate Solution-image.jpeg  
The following 2 users liked this post by Buckingham:
shift (09-25-2015), Uncle Fishbits (09-25-2015)
Old 09-24-2015, 09:08 PM
Default Front view

From the front

Old 09-24-2015, 09:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

There is a much, much, much better solution.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...racket-144955/

The following 2 users liked this post by Foosh:
Buckingham (09-24-2015), Uncle Fishbits (10-19-2015)
Old 09-24-2015, 09:43 PM

A no drilling solution. I hope to only use this when in SF or if stopped somewhere else. I had front Euro plates on my BMW for 16 years and was never cited.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:47 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Buckingham
A no drilling solution. I hope to only use this when in SF or if stopped somewhere else. I had front Euro plates on my BMW for 16 years and was never cited.
If you had read the thread I linked you would have seen it is a "no drilling solution." It's also removable in about 1 second by pulling a key ring to release a locking pin. And most importantly, it is not ugly.

The following users liked this post:
Uncle Fishbits (10-19-2015)
Old 09-24-2015, 09:56 PM

Your bracket is also a good solution.

Old 09-24-2015, 11:20 PM
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Ah, Tennessee. NFLP state. No front license plate.

Old 09-25-2015, 12:09 AM
Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

From the front
If I'm looking at your pic correctly, the design has some potential for (eventually) scuffing and/or marring the grill beam over which it appears to drape. notwithstanding the use of rubber throughout. The "STO N SHO" design previously mentioned does not touch the grill beam or any other frontward facing body part other than its attachment points underneath the front bumper.

That said, thanks for sharing. Another creative solution certainly.

Old 09-25-2015, 07:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

nice! where did u buy it online? I have the sto-n-show mount but I think this might be better for people who only need it for parking situations. It's easier to store since it's flat, instead of having a big stick mount like the sto-n-show. Also don't have to bend down as much.

Old 09-25-2015, 10:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 232 Posts

That's not a very good solution IMHO and has been mentioned, having it bounce on the beam will show wear marks over time...

Old 09-25-2015, 11:14 AM

Autodealersupplies.com. Your can just as easily mount it below.

Old 10-16-2015, 04:50 PM
Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

I finally got around to installing the Stop N Go (after a fix-it ticket in SF) and I Love it! Such a clean and fast solution. Best solution I have seen for front plates

The following users liked this post:
Uncle Fishbits (10-19-2015)
Old 10-16-2015, 04:56 PM

Using my rubber thing this weekend as I have to go to the dealer in SF for a wine country drive. Secured it with a plastic wire tie so it won't move around. As soon as I get out of the city it is coming off.

Old 10-16-2015, 11:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

As long as you don't park in public in SF you're OK. it's the meter maids! the police don't care.

Old 10-17-2015, 09:25 PM
Default Bumper condition after using rubber license holder

After 150 miles of driving on freeways at speeds I won't mention and twisty mountain roads, there was no mark whatever from the rubber plate holder. Everyone on the drive liked it. I also recommended the Sto and Sho bracket.

Old 10-19-2015, 03:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by FtypeRRR
I finally got around to installing the Stop N Go (after a fix-it ticket in SF) and I Love it! Such a clean and fast solution. Best solution I have seen for front plates
I bought it because Marin cops do not care at all about the front, it seems... but as soon as I head south to our office or hotels.... I know I will get stopped. I've yet to install it. Waiting for my ticket. Ftyprrrrrrrrrrr.... where'd you get it in the city?

Old 10-30-2015, 02:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

After 150 miles of driving on freeways at speeds I won't mention and twisty mountain roads, there was no mark whatever from the rubber plate holder. Everyone on the drive liked it. I also recommended the Sto and Sho bracket.
So, I got the Stop n Sho. I wonder....

if you get pulled over while it is not mounted, and tell the officer, "oh no, I have it, let me go to the trunk" and put it on. Will he say, "very clever. Now go get that thing legally mounted on the front" fix it ticket? I mean... if I get pulled over and it's not on, best thing to do is play dumb, and just take the ticket, right? If I show him, he might say it needs to be fixed and mounted in place, I assume? I don't want to screw myself being smug.

BUT NOW.....

BUT THIS IS THE MOST AMAZING THING I HAVE EVER SEEN. A valet last night was telling me you can rig this with a button to deploy while driving.

Old 10-30-2015, 02:30 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits

if you get pulled over while it is not mounted, and tell the officer, "oh no, I have it, let me go to the trunk" and put it on. Will he say, "very clever. Now go get that thing legally mounted on the front" fix it ticket? I mean... if I get pulled over and it's not on, best thing to do is play dumb, and just take the ticket, right? If I show him, he might say it needs to be fixed and mounted in place, I assume? I don't want to screw myself being smug.

BUT NOW.....

BUT THIS IS THE MOST AMAZING THING I HAVE EVER SEEN. A valet last night was telling me you can rig this with a button to deploy while driving.

James Bond Front License Plate - YouTube
It's been researched by some here, and reported to be unworkable on the F-Type. There's not enough room for it tuck under the lower splitter/"curb-finder."

Your worries about the Sto-N-Show are unfounded. Legally, it is "fixed and mounted." It's no different than taking a screw-driver and removing it the old-fashioned way from a bumper mount, just quicker.

Last edited by Foosh; 10-30-2015 at 02:33 PM.
Old 10-30-2015, 08:33 PM
Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits

if you get pulled over while it is not mounted, and tell the officer, "oh no, I have it, let me go to the trunk" and put it on. Will he say, "very clever. Now go get that thing legally mounted on the front" fix it ticket? I mean... if I get pulled over and it's not on, best thing to do is play dumb, and just take the ticket, right? If I show him, he might say it needs to be fixed and mounted in place, I assume? I don't want to screw myself being smug...."
Legally mounting the plate does not necessarily mean the plate must be permanently mounted without any possibility of removal. There are all sorts of reasons why one might temporarily remove their plate or plates, e.g., cleaning the bumper areas behind the plate of dirt/grime build-up, affixing the registration tab, off-road display of one's car at shows, making repairs that call for removal of a plate, etc.

If you happen to forget to attach your plate and are questioned about no plate display, being able to show you have your front plate mounted in the "STO-N-SHO" bracket would seem to go to your intent to comply. (At least it beats producing a plate without any attachment hardware.) As for being told you must fix and mount your plate in place, at least you could comply on the spot. [Disclaimer: I'm not an attorney, but a reading of one's state law is a must, IMHO.]

Old 10-31-2015, 05:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by deltagroup

If you happen to forget to attach your plate and are questioned about no plate display, being able to show you have your front plate mounted in the "STO-N-SHO" bracket would seem to go to your intent to comply. (At least it beats producing a plate without any attachment hardware.) As for being told you must fix and mount your plate in place, at least you could comply on the spot. [Disclaimer: I'm not an attorney, but a reading of one's state law is a must, IMHO.]

My opinion is that producing a Sto-N-Sho bracket will only prove your intention to NOT run a front plate and proves you plan to quickly remove it as soon as the officer is out of sight.

Quick Reply: My Front Plate Solution