Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Front Plate Solution

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 05:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by TXJagR
My opinion is that producing a Sto-N-Sho bracket will only prove your intention to NOT run a front plate and proves you plan to quickly remove it as soon as the officer is out of sight.
That may be the case, but legally speaking, it is as "fixed and mounted" as screws in a bumper. Thus, you can only be cited if you don't have it on. You can't be legally forced to mount it differently.

Me, I just leave it on all the time.

Old 10-31-2015, 06:10 PM
Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

Perhaps we can ask that the NAV system warn us when we are entering front plate red zones (like SFO) so we can mount the plates beforehand.

Old 11-01-2015, 11:20 AM
Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

My opinion is that producing a Sto-N-Sho bracket will only prove your intention to NOT run a front plate and proves you plan to quickly remove it as soon as the officer is out of sight.
Your post, TXJagR, raises an interesting question--If one is pulled over for improper (no) display of their front plate, but happens to be carrying the front plate in their car, is there any situation where one would want to show the plate to the officer during the ensuing conversation?

Last edited by deltagroup; 11-01-2015 at 11:21 AM. Reason: "I'll just keep my plate on the car."
The following users liked this post:
TXJagR (11-01-2015)
Old 11-01-2015, 11:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by deltagroup
Your post, TXJagR, raises an interesting question--If one is pulled over for improper (no) display of their front plate, but happens to be carrying the front plate in their car, is there any situation where one would want to show the plate to the officer during the ensuing conversation?
Personally, I would not. I'd take my fix it ticket, and drive around without the front plate until the date required to "fix it" on the ticket. If pulled over again in that time frame, simply show the ticket and say something similar to, "I have ordered a mounting bracket."

Finally, put the plate on, go show the court it has been fixed, then remove the plate again...

Old 11-01-2015, 01:21 PM

Personally, I would not. I'd take my fix it ticket, and drive around without the front plate until the date required to "fix it" on the ticket. If pulled over again in that time frame, simply show the ticket and say something similar to, "I have ordered a mounting bracket."

Finally, put the plate on, go show the court it has been fixed, then remove the plate again...
Looks like you've thought this through, heh. Good to know.

(BTW, I have several friends in the Dallas/Austin areas. Looks like the severe weather is improving. Hope so. Take care.)

TXJagR (11-02-2015)
Old 11-02-2015, 08:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by deltagroup
Looks like you've thought this through, heh. Good to know.

(BTW, I have several friends in the Dallas/Austin areas. Looks like the severe weather is improving. Hope so. Take care.)
12,000 miles including a cross country trip and no front plate issues yet. I was even parked at a 7-11 one day and when returning to the car found a police officer walking around the car. He had to notice no front plate or he was blind. He smiled at me, said "Nice car", and went in to buy his donuts.

As for the weather... I will be glad to see the sun again. I drive the Ftype in the rain, but not during flood warnings or any chance of severe wind that could blow debris all over.

Old 11-02-2015, 09:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
That may be the case, but legally speaking, it is as "fixed and mounted" as screws in a bumper. Thus, you can only be cited if you don't have it on. You can't be legally forced to mount it differently.

Me, I just leave it on all the time.

I am either not too bright, or too transparent. I've been accused of both. I have the stosho bracket, but I haven't installed it. It actually seems like there is a single bolt under the spoiler in front of the sacrificial spoiler that would be as easy as just need a screwdriver. Not sure.

I am going to drive around without that front plate, and when I get stopped, I am going to openly ask the officer his professional opinion on this exact issue. If the worst case scenario is having my black plate on, all the time, that's fine. Those black plates are cool and blend into the green of the bumper. But I bet this is an extremely grey area, and if I produce and show him the bracket, I almost wonder if he just waves me off. It's all about the individual, of course.

Will keep you posted. Cheers.

Old 11-02-2015, 10:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
I am either not too bright, or too transparent. I've been accused of both. I have the stosho bracket, but I haven't installed it. It actually seems like there is a single bolt under the spoiler in front of the sacrificial spoiler that would be as easy as just need a screwdriver. Not sure.

I am going to drive around without that front plate, and when I get stopped, I am going to openly ask the officer his professional opinion on this exact issue. If the worst case scenario is having my black plate on, all the time, that's fine. Those black plates are cool and blend into the green of the bumper. But I bet this is an extremely grey area, and if I produce and show him the bracket, I almost wonder if he just waves me off. It's all about the individual, of course.

Will keep you posted. Cheers.
It takes longer to read the instructions than to actually install the bracket it's that easy...I thought I'd just leave it on there temporarily but now I just find myself leaving it on all the time.

Old 11-02-2015, 01:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by buickfunnycar.com
It takes longer to read the instructions than to actually install the bracket it's that easy...I thought I'd just leave it on there temporarily but now I just find myself leaving it on all the time.
+1. That in combo with a custom Euro profile plate is mostly unimposing from an aesthetic standpoint and meets the spirit of the law (certainly not the letter). We'll see how long it takes my favorite State Troopers to take offense.

Old 11-02-2015, 05:14 PM
Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

I was overjoyed to find that the back plate was held in place by two torx screws instead of Phillips head screws. As I have a set of torx drivers this was not a problem for me. But it will certainly thwart any would be rear plate thieves with just regular screw drivers. Finally a security feature on a car with no locking gas door or double-locking doors. Otherwise, I might be left with no plates at all.

Old 11-02-2015, 06:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by Buckingham
I was overjoyed to find that the back plate was held in place by two torx screws instead of Phillips head screws. As I have a set of torx drivers this was not a problem for me. But it will certainly thwart any would be rear plate thieves with just regular screw drivers. Finally a security feature on a car with no locking gas door or double-locking doors. Otherwise, I might be left with no plates at all...
Yep, a T20. I marked it with blue tape a year ago and just used it last week to remove the plates to attach the new tag because I hate it when people don't take the time to put them on correctly...as in straight.
Real pet peeve of mine,lol.

Upside as well is it gives you a chance to do a yearly cleaning behind the plate...

Buckingham (11-02-2015)
Old 11-02-2015, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by buickfunnycar.com
"...because I hate it when people don't take the time to put them on correctly...as in straight. Real pet peeve of mine,lol...."
LOL. I share your peevedness.

Old 11-03-2015, 11:47 AM
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Buckingham
I was overjoyed to find that the back plate was held in place by two torx screws instead of Phillips head screws. As I have a set of torx drivers this was not a problem for me. But it will certainly thwart any would be rear plate thieves with just regular screw drivers. Finally a security feature on a car with no locking gas door or double-locking doors. Otherwise, I might be left with no plates at all.
Hmm, mine came with standard phillips head screws holding my rear plate on.

Old 11-03-2015, 01:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Merlin
Hmm, mine came with standard phillips head screws holding my rear plate on.
That's entirely up to each individual dealer. They aren't shipped with plate fasteners.

Old 11-03-2015, 07:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

Mine had what looked like two drywall screws attaching the rear temp plate. I spent $4 and got the ones that can lock if you don't have the correct wrench so no one steals my FType surround. Was stupid enough to spend the $ to buy the carbon fibre surround, might as well try to keep it for a while.

Old 11-07-2015, 09:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We put these on all of our cars.

http://www.bigmikesperformanceparts.com

Last edited by Mecevans; 11-07-2015 at 09:17 PM.
Old 11-07-2015, 09:31 PM
Veteran Member

So do many on this forum. Great product!

Old 07-02-2016, 12:15 PM
Received 173 Likes on 79 Posts
Default A Different Perspective...

I've looked and read a lot about the Sto-N-Show plate holder and something about it didn't seem "quite right" from my perspective:

In my opinion, some of the more important features that define the front end of the F-Type are the oval grille surround and the linear front splitter. One of the least is the black bumper bar in the middle of the black grille.

So, to me the license plate mounted on the black bumper bar is a no brainer. It only covers the "unsightly" black bumper bar and a small portion of the black grille behind it while leaving the view of the oval grille surround and the linear front splitter in full view.

I'll readily admit that the Sto-N-Show's primary advantage is that it can be removed revealing the full front end of the F-Type - which is great. However when it is mounted, I find it more intolerable than the factory bracket on the bumper bar which many would like to see removed anyway.

As I said, this is just a different perspective to consider...

Last edited by FeralSVR; 07-02-2016 at 04:14 PM.
Old 07-02-2016, 12:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts
Default I'm completely lost....

You guys are saying that if you have a Sto n Go, and the plate is in the trunk and you get pulled over, for some reason you wouldn't put it on for the cop for the chance to squash it then and opt to go to court instead?!!?!?

For the life of me I don't see the logic in this.

I would say to the cop.."Oh damn I just washed the car and forgot to reinstall it". 9 times out of 10, if the officer has a inkling of decency, he will tear up the ticket right there and then after discovering you're a responsible citizen after all. Hell, half the time, the cop is pulling you over just to get a better look at your car anyway. Further what is this court you're talking about? For a fix it ticket, you find the next cop the street, and have him sign it off for you and you send the proof in. A fix it ticket is absolutely nothing to lose even a singe braincell over. Do you guys actually think a cop would confiscate your plate if he discovers it's a quick release?

Face it, all this is, is a silly little cat and mouse game of removing your plate until you get caught, then replacing the plate long enough to get the tix signed off, just to then remove it again. This is the one small way we get to live our lives without big brother on our backs. If this the worst you do in life, your doing fine.

You guys are overthinking this minor life infraction way too much.

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 07-02-2016 at 01:08 PM.
Old 07-02-2016, 07:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by FeralSVR
In my opinion, some of the more important features that define the front end of the F-Type are the oval grille surround and the linear front splitter.

Both unimpaired:

Quick Reply: My Front Plate Solution