F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is my headliner starting to sag or…

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2023, 11:25 PM
Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Is my headliner starting to sag or…

or does it look replaced/damaged/improperly cleaned at one point or another?

The creases only appear adjacent to the A pillars on both sides, material feels soft and consistent throughout the entire headliner-ed area(though it does feel much softer than any other cars i have touched), I’m assuming this is the no cost base headliner material, my previous R had the optional “upgraded” morzine cloth headliner which ironically looked and felt much less premium than this no cost option.

Attached are pictures of the offending area and a peak inside the window seal, where i circled is a black plastic piece that runs the entire length of the seal, part of it seems to be pulled outward and another part seems to be folded in over itself, i don’t recall having this piece in my previous R, though i could very well be wrong as it’s not an area where one would pay attention to.

Old 04-28-2023, 07:44 AM
Received 377 Likes on 174 Posts

To me it looks like what happens right before they start to sag. It is never a matter of it, always a matter of when. Heat +Time causes the glue used to hold these in place to breakdown. Unlikely due to a defect (IMO).

Old 04-28-2023, 10:44 AM
Received 303 Likes on 198 Posts
Default headliner sag

What you can try is to inject some good contact adhesive in the area where it is starting to sag. Available online and at most big box pet stores and farm stores are animal hypodermics/syringes.

https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/ide...56?Ntt=syringe

Get a good grade of Weldwood Contact Cement:

https://www.dap.com/products-project...wood-original/

Use glass head sewing pins to outline the area that you are going to treat. Pour some of the Weldwood into the syringe and inject it in several areas..massage and press in place. You may want to practice with some similar materials (check fabric store) to see how much is needed. I used this method successfully with a 69 E type coupe's headliner over 30 years ago and it's still in place.

Old 04-28-2023, 11:08 AM
Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by skizot
To me it looks like what happens right before they start to sag. It is never a matter of it, always a matter of when. Heat +Time causes the glue used to hold these in place to breakdown. Unlikely due to a defect (IMO).
​​​​​thanks, that's reassuring to hear!

Originally Posted by Valerie Stabenow
What you can try is to inject some good contact adhesive in the area where it is starting to sag. Available online and at most big box pet stores and farm stores are animal hypodermics/syringes.

https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/ide...56?Ntt=syringe

Get a good grade of Weldwood Contact Cement:

https://www.dap.com/products-project...wood-original/

Use glass head sewing pins to outline the area that you are going to treat. Pour some of the Weldwood into the syringe and inject it in several areas..massage and press in place. You may want to practice with some similar materials (check fabric store) to see how much is needed. I used this method successfully with a 69 E type coupe's headliner over 30 years ago and it's still in place.
Was about to ask for a way to fix before it gets worse, thank you and I will look into it!