Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My New 2016 Jag F Type R (Pics) Now Tuned

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 06:11 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by JgaXkr
Your comments "If the head of your dealership service department gives you any flack for wanting to tune or having your car tuned" is funny. Your approach would probably not get you to far. If the car has a check engine light the techs will see the non oem calibration fitted. I can tell you from personal experience the first thing the tech will do is blame the tune. If they have to open a technical case with Jaguar a session file & vehicle scan will be sent. They will see that the car has been modified. From that point you could speak to the GM as much as you want. He can't help you.
Our tuning doesn't throw CEL/MILs. Again we have zero warranty voids to our account despite doing this for a decade and a half. Obviously CELs have popped up for random part failures just as they would with stock files, and not once have we had an issue where we had to reflash a car back to stock before the dealer tech found and fixed the real issue.

If you wish to be proactive about tuning your car, and ensure there will be no repercussions for doing so, have the talk with your service manager beforehand. Then proceed up the ladder as necessary if necessary.

Thank You

Old 12-06-2015, 06:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by VMaxTuning
Our tuning doesn't throw CEL/MILs. Again we have zero warranty voids to our account despite doing this for a decade and a half. Obviously CELs have popped up for random part failures just as they would with stock files, and not once have we had an issue where we had to reflash a car back to stock before the dealer tech found and fixed the real issue.

If you wish to be proactive about tuning your car, and ensure there will be no repercussions for doing so, have the talk with your service manager beforehand. Then proceed up the ladder as necessary if necessary.

Thank You
How many engine failures are you aware of in cars you have tuned in your decade and a half? If none, you may not necessarily know.

I'm totally giving you the benefit of doubt that you're not doing anything crazy and producing a "safe tune." But, my point has always been that even completely stock engines sometimes fail during the warranty period, as I know first-hand. Besides, the Z06, I had to have the engine replaced under warranty in an '02 BMW 740i.

Old 12-06-2015, 06:29 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Foosh
How many engine failures are you aware of in cars you have tuned in your decade and a half? If none, you may not necessarily know.
None that we have ever been made aware of. We have been contacted by second and even third hand owners of vehicles we tuned (via our contracted dealers) with questions about changing hardware, but you are correct, I'm sure not everyone has or would check-in until the end of time.

I'm totally giving you the benefit of doubt that you're not doing anything crazy and producing a "safe tune." But, my point has always been that even completely stock engines sometimes fail during the warranty period, as I know first-hand. Besides, the Z06, I had to have the engine replaced under warranty in an '02 BMW 740i.
Yes, even completely bone stock cars have driveline failures, absolutely true and no argument there. Defective parts are made daily for all makes and models of vehicles, and despite increasing quality control and superior design, will continue to be into the future.

Thank You
VMax

Old 12-06-2015, 06:34 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

To anyone thinking about tuning their car: once you tune your car, you have to understand that you're risking your warranty. End of story. Way too much discussion about detecting a tune and not detecting a tune. You have to assume that the dealer will DETECT the tune.

Honestly, what do you guys expect? You want to get 100 more HP to the wheels but when the engine "grenades," you want Jaguar to replace your engine? Jesus...

If you can't afford to replace the engine / transmission / etc., don't tune your car. Think about it from the manufacturer's and/or business perspective. If you produced a hunting rifle and the end-user began to modify the rifle... to the point where it broke with said modifications... would you, as the manufacturer, cover a warranty on that? OF COURSE NOT. It's a business, and just like every other for-profit business, they don't exist to perform charity. Replacing an engine because of the tune, whether or not it was the cause for the malfunction (aka grenade), is charity. The word charity does not co-exist with the word "business," unless we're talking about PR and advertising.

You have to pay to play. Initially, it's the cost of the tune / install, followed by the potential for replacing the engine. Christ. If you guys want a car with more power but wish to refrain from modifying the car, you bought the wrong car. Do you guys really think Nissan replaces the engine for free when a Alpha 7 GTR blows?

Foosh - you're posting all this stuff about "honesty" but why don't you be honest with yourself? You can't expect to get a tune and retain the warranty. If you're expecting a tuner to tell you that, that's pretty f00sh. Why are you attacking VMaxTuning and destroying his reputation in the process? Lastly, you have no ethics. You put VMaxTuning into a position where he has to respond to your posts or else he risks looking like he's dodging or lying. You should already know the answers to your questions.

**** breaks all the time. New, used, "refurbished," whatever you want to name it. Having a tune just gives Jaguar the information necessary to protect their business, even if legal action is sought. I haven't read the contract when buying a vehicle from Jaguar, but there's probably an arbitration clause we all signed. Bummer.

The following 2 users liked this post by TimelessR:
Cambo (12-06-2015), VMaxTuning (12-06-2015)
Old 12-06-2015, 06:45 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by TimelessR
To anyone thinking about tuning their car: once you tune your car, you have to understand that you're risking your warranty. End of story. Way too much discussion about detecting a tune and not detecting a tune. You have to assume that the dealer will DETECT the tune.

Honestly, what do you guys expect? You want to get 100 more HP to the wheels but when the engine "grenades," you want Jaguar to replace your engine? Jesus...

If you can't afford to replace the engine / transmission / etc., don't tune your car. Think about it from the manufacturer's and/or business perspective. If you produced a hunting rifle and the end-user began to modify the rifle... to the point where it broke with said modifications... would you, as the manufacturer, cover a warranty on that? OF COURSE NOT. It's a business, and just like every other for-profit business, they don't exist to perform charity. Replacing an engine because of the tune, whether or not it was the cause for the malfunction (aka grenade), is charity. The word charity does not co-exist with the word "business," unless we're talking about PR and advertising.

You have to pay to play. Initially, it's the cost of the tune / install, followed by the potential for replacing the engine. Christ. If you guys want a car with more power but wish to refrain from modifying the car, you bought the wrong car. Do you guys really think Nissan replaces the engine for free when a Alpha 7 GTR blows?

Foosh - you're posting all this stuff about "honesty" but why don't you be honest with yourself? You can't expect to get a tune and retain the warranty. If you're expecting a tuner to tell you that, that's pretty f00sh. Why are you attacking VMaxTuning and destroying his reputation in the process? Lastly, you have no ethics. You put VMaxTuning into a position where he has to respond to your posts or else he risks looking like he's dodging or lying. You should already know the answers to your questions.

**** breaks all the time. New, used, "refurbished," whatever you want to name it. Having a tune just gives Jaguar the information necessary to protect their business, even if legal action is sought. I haven't read the contract when buying a vehicle from Jaguar, but there's probably an arbitration clause we all signed. Bummer.
Thanks for your post, and I do completely understand everything you said very well. I absolutely do not expect my powertrain warranty to be honored with a tune as I said several times above.

What I don't like is someone who says their tune is not detectable. JM717 just posted a refreshing link from a tuner who wrote on their website, "will your engine tune violate your engine warranty," to which they said, "absolutely, if a manufacturer looks for it." That's what I'm looking for, and I don't consider it unfair. I'd be perfectly satisfied with a maybe, maybe not, but an absolute denial is show-stopper for me. It's the honest way to do business.

If I tune, that will mean I am willing to "pay to play."

Last edited by Foosh; 12-06-2015 at 07:04 PM.
Old 12-06-2015, 06:48 PM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

The post from TimelessR pretty much sums up the reality of tuning cars.

We are all here because in some way or another this topic interests us, so let's keep it civil.

Personal comments or attacks are not welcome here, so I'd like to take this opportunity to remind everyone to take a deep breath and relax.

/moderator

Old 12-06-2015, 07:00 PM
Veteran Member

Lastly, I admire VMaxTuning for being willing to have this discussion and openly answering so many questions. That is laudable on their part, and they have been far more open than any other tuner on this forum. Kudos to them . . .

And, I am not in any way dismissing them and remain a potential customer. Their willingness to engage makes me more interested in them than the others.

Timeless, your personal attack was over the line. I never asked a question about whether his tune was detectable or not, because you're right, I automatically assume all tunes are. He offered that up long before I engaged, and that's when I did engage and started asking questions.

Last edited by Foosh; 12-06-2015 at 07:10 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Foosh:
JgaXkr (12-06-2015), VMaxTuning (12-06-2015)
Old 12-06-2015, 07:32 PM
Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

Wow...this thread gets better every day. If I ever pop a motor, I'll just stuff in one with a F3 procharger on it and see if the dealer notices the difference.

Old 12-06-2015, 08:58 PM
Received 102 Likes on 66 Posts

VMAX, you say that you've never had a failed tune or detection. That is fine but lets see some evidence of the tunes you have done. Real tangible data.

This is a murky area at best for owners here who don't have $1000s to throw at what problems may arise if warrants are voided or stuff breaks.

I mean you don't even have a working website, your instagram page is 19weeks old and Facebook page only 6 months old.

Trust needs to be established and right now you don't appear like a professional company form the outside.

Old 12-07-2015, 09:54 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by alexg
VMAX, you say that you've never had a failed tune or detection. That is fine but lets see some evidence of the tunes you have done. Real tangible data.

This is a murky area at best for owners here who don't have $1000s to throw at what problems may arise if warrants are voided or stuff breaks.

I mean you don't even have a working website, your instagram page is 19weeks old and Facebook page only 6 months old.

Trust needs to be established and right now you don't appear like a professional company form the outside.
What do you think we've posted that directly correlates to your vehicles in this forum so far? Real, tangible, objective data.

You can Google search for VMax Motorsports failed engine or motor and you won't find anything, again because we've never lost one. Obviously blowing an engine is the absolute worst thing that can happen to a tuners reputation.

Just because our social media pages aren't old and our website is still under construction doesn't mean we don't possess the knowledge and ability to kick out top tier products. As I've shared via PM and hinted at in a few posts, everyone at VMax has been working in the OEM or aftermarket sector of the automotive game for over a decade. Until recently we have solely been suppliers to other tuners and those in the aftermarket in a wholesale capacity. We are now serving select markets directly including Jaguar and Land Rover. To date I haven't seen anyone else put up more data for this specific platform than we have in a matter of a few weeks, and more is on the way via others on this forum.

I would rather have a professionally constructed and functioning website and social media pages up when we launched however knowing what we're doing and delivering what we promise is the most important part of the equation.

Thank You
VMax

Old 12-07-2015, 10:11 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, you have been very good about posting data here, but I'd like to see something on the V6.

The following users liked this post:
VMaxTuning (12-07-2015)
Old 12-07-2015, 10:14 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Foosh
Yes, you have been very good about posting data here, but I'd like to see something on the V6.

Foosh, thank you. We are working with some V6 owners to do exactly that asap.

Thank You
VMax

The following users liked this post:
Foosh (12-07-2015)
Old 12-07-2015, 10:37 PM
Received 134 Likes on 94 Posts

i just skimmed all 5 pages

as someone who has built some big power cars in past, i'm definitely interested

has the car been run down the strip yet?

is this is a canned tune that can be sold worldwide, or is it a custom dyno tune?

Old 12-08-2015, 11:09 PM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by VMaxTuning
What do you think we've posted that directly correlates to your vehicles in this forum so far? Real, tangible, objective data.

You can Google search for VMax Motorsports failed engine or motor and you won't find anything, again because we've never lost one. Obviously blowing an engine is the absolute worst thing that can happen to a tuners reputation.

Just because our social media pages aren't old and our website is still under construction doesn't mean we don't possess the knowledge and ability to kick out top tier products. As I've shared via PM and hinted at in a few posts, everyone at VMax has been working in the OEM or aftermarket sector of the automotive game for over a decade. Until recently we have solely been suppliers to other tuners and those in the aftermarket in a wholesale capacity. We are now serving select markets directly including Jaguar and Land Rover. To date I haven't seen anyone else put up more data for this specific platform than we have in a matter of a few weeks, and more is on the way via others on this forum.

I would rather have a professionally constructed and functioning website and social media pages up when we launched however knowing what we're doing and delivering what we promise is the most important part of the equation.

Thank You
VMax
VMax, I have been giving serious consideration to tuning my 2015R -- have never tuned a car before -- and have been intently watching this thread as well as others from other tuners over the last year, waiting to see a presentation/representation that breeds confidence in the process.

Sadly, virtually every tuner has had their credibility seriously questioned by the knowledgable members of this forum, to the point that doing business with that tuner has all outward appearances of being a high risk venture.

While I share some of foosh' concerns, your willingness to openly answer the barrage of questions on this forum lends credibility to your venture in a manner where others before you have failed miserably.

My interest in your services is therefore piqued on a number of fronts, one important one being your proximity within 5 miles of my home and business.

That said, and being a diligent consumer, especially for something as "controversial" as a tune and pulley on one of the worlds most strikingly beautiful sports cars, there are three things regarding your representations that cause me a long pause.......

1) the ongoing debate with equally strong opinions on both sides over the issue of detection, even though I generally agree with the opinion presented by TimelessR characterizing the overall nature of the process.

2) the lack of a working website, even a landing page, most certainly erodes this potential customers confidence, and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one to feel that way.

3) the fact that your business address is nothing more than a PO Box in the Park Place shopping center pretty much sinks this consumers desire to do business with you. You state you have been performing this service for over a decade, yet too many other factors scream shady,"fly-by-nite" business that could disappear in the blink of an eye... and this is the best you can do for a multi-thousand dollar service? One that by all accounts comes with a certain risk to a relatively pricey personal asset...

As a matter of course, I am woefully leery of well-honed sales pitches, and in the case of VMax, there is virtually no history available to the consumer to verify any claims you have made here. As a 35 year Orange County business owner myself, it seems you could be doing so much more to stimulate confidence in your target market.

Last edited by IronMike; 12-09-2015 at 10:53 AM.
Old 12-08-2015, 11:12 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

OC business owners... UNITE!

Old 12-14-2015, 06:41 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by domino_z
i just skimmed all 5 pages

as someone who has built some big power cars in past, i'm definitely interested

has the car been run down the strip yet?

is this is a canned tune that can be sold worldwide, or is it a custom dyno tune?
It's a highly refined "canned" tune based on the climate and fuel quality of the region of the world you live in. We can go further if you care to book dyno time and can email PIDS back to us to tweak, we can create an entirely custom tune for you for a fair additional fee based on the amount of extra time necessary to dial the car in. I don't see anyone having the mods for it to be beyond an extra 1-2 hours.

Thank You
Bill
VMax Motorsports

Old 12-14-2015, 08:27 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by IronMike
VMax, I have been giving serious consideration to tuning my 2015R -- have never tuned a car before -- and have been intently watching this thread as well as others from other tuners over the last year, waiting to see a presentation/representation that breeds confidence in the process.

Sadly, virtually every tuner has had their credibility seriously questioned by the knowledgable members of this forum, to the point that doing business with that tuner has all outward appearances of being a high risk venture.

While I share some of foosh' concerns, your willingness to openly answer the barrage of questions on this forum lends credibility to your venture in a manner where others before you have failed miserably.

My interest in your services is therefore piqued on a number of fronts, one important one being your proximity within 5 miles of my home and business.

That said, and being a diligent consumer, especially for something as "controversial" as a tune and pulley on one of the worlds most strikingly beautiful sports cars, there are three things regarding your representations that cause me a long pause.......

1) the ongoing debate with equally strong opinions on both sides over the issue of detection, even though I generally agree with the opinion presented by TimelessR characterizing the overall nature of the process.

2) the lack of a working website, even a landing page, most certainly erodes this potential customers confidence, and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one to feel that way.

3) the fact that your business address is nothing more than a PO Box in the Park Place shopping center pretty much sinks this consumers desire to do business with you. You state you have been performing this service for over a decade, yet too many other factors scream shady,"fly-by-nite" business that could disappear in the blink of an eye... and this is the best you can do for a multi-thousand dollar service? One that by all accounts comes with a certain risk to a relatively pricey personal asset...

As a matter of course, I am woefully leery of well-honed sales pitches, and in the case of VMax, there is virtually no history available to the consumer to verify any claims you have made here. As a 35 year Orange County business owner myself, it seems you could be doing so much more to stimulate confidence in your target market.

IronMike,

Thanks for your interest in our services and your compliment about our ability to engage in and address discussions and concerns surrounding not only our services, but tuning in general.

More importantly, thank you for raising additional concerns, which are likely shared, and certainly will be shared, by many on this and other forums (as we begin to broaden our service offerings), and for creating an opportunity to directly and clearly address them early on.

1) The concept of "detection" is very broad, and is usually addressed vaguely with little acknowledgement of the true concerns or possibilities surrounding the simple definition of the word. In our (the aftermarket automotive community, both the providers and the consumers) world, "detection" relates to two primary and progressive concerns.

a) Detection during routine service at a dealer, which is used to "flag" a VIN in order to potentially deny future warranty claims. The most aggressive system we've seen implemented for this purpose is an actual "DME tampering" code (this is a shadow code, not a check engine light), which is triggered by non-conforming code in the most recent BMW ECUs supplied by Bosch. This code reads out during a diagnostic scan, and is obviously an instant indication that the car has been tuned.
​​
There are more subtle methods of detection, available to dealer scan tools, which are not officially available outside a dealership or manufacturer, which provide similar indications when triggered by a tune. However, it is possible to avoid triggering those indicators, allowing a tuned vehicle to be scanned without throwing any codes related to non-conforming code or programming.

b) Detection during a more thorough scan and inspection performed in the event of a warranty claim. The degree of involvement from the dealer/manufacturer will vary here, depending on the dealer, manufacturer, model, and type of warranty claim. At the dealer it may be as simple as a general diagnostic scan or a more thorough scan and inspection. If the manufacturer suspects something, they may require the ECU be shipped to them for inspection, and that is where we start to get into the really murky part of "detection."

When the ECU goes back to the manufacturer, the degree and manner of inspection will vary on a case by case basis. It may not be inspected at all, it may be inspected for signs of physical tampering, it may be sent back to the OEM of the ECU for forensic analysis (which would involve comparing the code on the ECU to what it should be based on the last file the dealer flashed). If it gets to this point, it will eventually become clear that the file has been changed and is non-conforming. There may also be some method of detecting tampering of which we (both the general public and members of the aftermarket industry) are completely unaware.

As has been stated by some of the members here, there's no way to be 100% certain, but we can take steps to make sure that we've been successful in mitigating risk. While we have some access to manufacturer information and intelligence, it is limited, and without intentionally causing a failure that requires a warranty claim and subsequent review by the manufacturer, we can't really test the full detection capabilities at the manufacturer level. We can however take steps to test detection at the dealer level, by actually sending tuned vehicles into friendly dealerships and asking if there are any, and what, indications presenting during a thorough scan and inspection. We are happy to say that we've done exactly that with these tunes, and they've come back with positive results (meaning they are not presenting any indication that they've been tuned to the dealer).

How comfortable the end user is with our results and to what extent they're willing to take on risk is going to vary from one individual to the next, but that is the nature of this industry, and it's also why there are so many different degrees to which vehicles can be moded. A flash is less likely to be detected than a pulley or exhaust, and they are all used by manufacturers as a reason to deny warranty claims for just about anything. Just like most hardware mods, if it becomes necessary, the tune can be put back to stock as well.

It's important to note, as has been stated on this forum, that even in the event that a manufacturer informs you that they do not intend to cover a claim under warranty, you can put pressure on the dealer through your sales rep, and if the situation requires, through your lawyer. Obviously, nobody wants to be a situation that requires legal action, but if the manufacturer tries to corner you, a strongly worded letter on law office letterhead can go a long way.

2) You're correct that the lack of a website is problematic for a retail business. The reason we don't have one, is because we were not a retail business until now. While many B2B companies also have websites, our business has, until now, been conducted entirely through a number of shops and distributors for whom we are essentially subcontractors. We only approached new potential shops and distributors that we had reason to believe would be a good fit for us. Our intent was not to be a volume business, but to excel at what we do and try to put a smile on people's faces (you don't know this, but you all look like kids who just got ice-cream when you drive your tuned cars for the first time, and it's the best feeling in the world to know we did that).

We've noticed a significant trend, which led us to more seriously consider offering and finally begin to offer our services directly to the consumers we'd been serving from behind the scenes. There is too much misinformation in the tuning industry today, caused not by the heightened use of forums, but by the unfortunate aggrandizement of the statements found on them, provided by (forgive us for saying so) people and companies with little or no actual knowledge of tuning. The state of affairs at the consumer level and a desire to salvage the reputation of an industry that provides our livelihood, prompted our move into the figurative storefront.

Your comments, about tuners' credibility called into question, speak directly to our observations and concerns. There are often several layers between those who are actually engaged in the interpretation of code, calibration and testing of tuning parameters, programming of tune files according to OEM mapping architectures, and you, the actual recipient and user of the fruits of our labors. Sometimes, the people in the layers that divided us, don't have the requisite knowledge to understand service provided or to properly address consumer concerns, which is where we get much of the misinformation that ultimately brings about the doubt.

That said, we're working on putting together a website, to aid in providing information about our services, and processing orders, so stay tuned! (Pun not intended)

3) This is likely to be the biggest sticking point for many people, and it's doubtful that our explanation will quell everyone's concerns, but here it goes. As we've stated, we have been operating through B2B sales, and for better or worse, will be reliant on the revenue generated by our existing contracts for the foreseeable future, barring an unprecedented popularity and growth in the services offered directly to consumers. Therefore, it is necessary to maintain those contracts and continue our day to day operations as they were, which includes maintaining the confidentiality of our clients and partners. We operate from within one of our partners’ facilities, and while they are aware of this transition, we can't share the address without breaching confidentiality, which is currently impossible. The address listed is where we take all incoming ECU deliveries to avoid that breach.

Obviously, words alone will do little to dispel your concern, or bolster any claims on our part with regard to our experience and tenure in the industry, but we're confident that in time, we will be able to demonstrate the efficacy of the products and services we're offering, and eventually extricate ourselves from our current need for confidentiality. We hope that you'll be in the market for a tune when we do, and that we'll be able to give you new-found confidence in at least one tuner.

Thanks,

VMax

Old 12-14-2015, 08:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 263 Likes on 203 Posts

As has been stated by some of the members here, there's no way to be 100% certain, but we can take steps to make sure that we've been successful in mitigating risk. While we have some access to manufacturer information and intelligence, it is limited, and without intentionally causing a failure that requires a warranty claim and subsequent review by the manufacturer, we can't really test the full detection capabilities at the manufacturer level. We can however take steps to test detection at the dealer level, by actually sending tuned vehicles into friendly dealerships and asking if there are any, and what, indications presenting during a thorough scan and inspection. We are happy to say that we've done exactly that with these tunes, and they've come back with positive results (meaning they are not presenting any indication that they've been tuned to the dealer).

As I have said before the Jaguar IDS shows a non oem calibration when simply scanning the vehicle. I have seen it many times. It has nothing to do with the dealer being "friendly". The detection methods are similar to the dealer, just running a vehicle scan shows the tune. It will also show communication issue with the ecm which occurs when you download the file.

Old 12-15-2015, 03:01 PM
Former Sponsor

Thursday will be the day we're in Northern S.D. Chris just sent you and Daniel an email. I'll post a time and location/address shortly--will also email you directly.

Thank You!

VMax

Last edited by VMaxTuning; 12-15-2015 at 09:24 PM.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:15 PM
Former Sponsor

My pleasure, we have at least one other customer and working on a few others. Can't wait to meet you all and for you to enjoy the newfound power and torque!

Thank You
Bill
VMax

Quick Reply: My New 2016 Jag F Type R (Pics) Now Tuned