F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My solution to the Meridian 770w System.. Infinity Basslink!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 02:54 PM
Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking My solution to the Meridian 770w System.. Infinity Basslink!

Okay guys, so I was one of the owners that was greatly disappointed with the Meridian 770w system. The speakers started to get very distorted as my volume approached the 25+ level and I tried various settings and tweaks to make it manageable. I decided to tackle the problem of distortion with a simple solution that I used in the past. Years and many cars before, I used to have an S2000 (two of them actually). And it was a two-seater convertible with limited room and an audio system with only two speakers (later model came with separate tweeters). Having the 2-speaker audio system carry lows, mids, and highs was very difficult no matter how I upgraded the speakers themselves.

My solution, the Infinity Basslink. It is an all-in-one amplified 10" subwoofer system with 200w. It may not sound like much and takes about a cubic-foot of room. It was my solution in the past and has been a proven solution for my F-Type Coupe. My game plan was simple, install the Infinity Basslink to carry the low and slight mids (has a built in cross-over), and have the remainder of the Jag Meridian 770w system push out nothing but upper mids and highs.

Specs on the Infinity Basslink:
BassLink | 10" Self-Amplified Subwoofer System | INF US

I'm glad to report, that it works brilliantly!!!

I tackled the installation over the weekend and it took about 4-5 hours to install (taking my time as there has been no other write-ups). Granted I downloaded all the workshop manuals that would help me along the way (trunk, interior and electrical wiring diagram). Since the basslink uses a built in crossover and your car audio signal, i tapped into the Jag's two channels for the sub.

Bottom-line, most of the time was spent on panel removal and re-installation. The overall wiring and setting up of the system was pretty straight forward. In the end, I have the Meridian system at 0-bass, and 1-level on the sub, with the focus on the audio towards the center/front of the car. The car speakers have the ability to focus on upper mids and highs, and I have a remote gain switch that goes straight to the Basslink. If I wanted further bass strength, I just increase the car audio bass and sub setting through the headunit.

The result: crisp bass from the rear (like a subwoofer should be) and the remainder of the system able to focus on upper-mids and highs at a clearer rate. This has also resulted in less rattles from the speaker panels.

Overall I am very happy with the system and would encourage anyone else who is looking at sub systems to supplement the car audio, to consider this system. Not bad for $179 from amazon. Sorry I didn't thoroughly document the install, but here are some pictures along the way (they are pretty crappy and random as my install started at 9pm and went to about 2am).

Let me know on any questions!

Taking out the rear trunk panels to setup the wiring:
Name:  IMG_3469_zpsrywsnser.jpg
Views: 3757
Size:  217.1 KB

This is the area behind the seats, with the parcel shelf and speaker panels removed. No need to remove the seats:
Name:  IMG_3470_zps0fpw3htk.jpg
Views: 3644
Size:  181.6 KB

More of the trunk area wiring. I know it looks like a working mess, but in the end I cleared and cleaned it up tidy!
Name:  IMG_3473_zps9uhzqjph.jpg
Views: 4011
Size:  224.0 KB

This is the area behind the drivers seat that was my fire wall penetration I shared with the car's wiring system:
Name:  IMG_3474_zpssw96hhcu.jpg
Views: 3953
Size:  191.4 KB

I'm sorry, but here's the pathetic stock subwoofer system (tweeter is on same mount, but separate speaker):
Name:  IMG_3471_zpsomhzodtc.jpg
Views: 4545
Size:  223.7 KB

Here is our stock subwoofer that try's to tackle "770w":
Name:  IMG_3472_zpssr4yjr6q.jpg
Views: 4061
Size:  193.1 KB

Here' how everything looks when cleaned up and wiring ready for the final install:
Name:  IMG_3478_zpswmqsyis2.jpg
Views: 3552
Size:  171.1 KB

And the final product!
Name:  IMG_3479_zpszs6nha5w.jpg
Views: 3905
Size:  182.7 KB

The following 6 users liked this post by elude:
bcbruno (04-17-2021), Dremorg (06-01-2015), enderle (05-31-2015), FrozenMango (06-03-2015), kc_dino2000 (02-26-2021), Optimus812 (05-31-2015) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-31-2015, 05:21 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice job! I wonder how this would work in my roadster. I assume the wiring would be similar even though I have the more pathetic 380w version...I can't stand this stock stereo, its a rattlefest with any bass or volume turned up.

Old 06-01-2015, 11:37 AM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by elude
Okay guys, so I was one of the owners that was greatly disappointed with the Meridian 770w system. The speakers started to get very distorted as my volume approached the 25+ level and I tried various settings and tweaks to make it manageable. I decided to tackle the problem of distortion with a simple solution that I used in the past.

]][/URL]
Hey Thanks for the great post! I have the same baselink in two of my 60's mustangs as well...and they are great. I was about to do the same thing in my ftype... i have already done the midrange speakers in the doors. One big question however...doesnt the baselink fit into that little extra compartment that's under the bigger part of the trunk? it seems to take up so much valuable space where you have put it.

Old 06-01-2015, 02:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

I wonder if simply replacing the stock POS sub with a better quality "free air" sub will improve anything? I hate taking up so much of the limited space we already have!

Did you happen to get the specs on the factory sub? Size? (including depth?)

What about that tweeter? Everyone is looking for size info!!!

Old 06-24-2015, 03:17 PM
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TXJagR
I wonder if simply replacing the stock POS sub with a better quality "free air" sub will improve anything? I hate taking up so much of the limited space we already have!

Did you happen to get the specs on the factory sub? Size? (including depth?)

What about that tweeter? Everyone is looking for size info!!!
I'd like to look into upgrading the stock subs as well. Taking up more space in the trunk is just not ideal for me right now, but replacing those paper cones with something more substantial would be great.

Judging from the pictures, I wonder if the cone glued onto the plastic housing or if it could be easily removed and replaced. The stock 770w subs are just awful.

Old 06-27-2015, 01:00 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Please take pictures and measurements.

Whoever else does work on the radio and opens up the car panels, please, PLEASE, take some pictures and some measurements and post them for the rest of us. If someone gets me this info, I'd be more than happy to figure out what size speakers fit where and get some alternative options for upgrading the system.

Try to get the diameter and depth of the speakers to the back of the magnets. Also, if anyone has access to an multimeter, please see how many Ohms each speaker (voicecoil) is.

Yes i do have a background in this stuff. I used to build the CES show cars for a few of the major car audio manufacturers.

Old 06-27-2015, 01:06 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by elude
Here is our stock subwoofer that try's to tackle "770w":
Did you by any chance get any measurements off that stock subwoofer? Diameter? Depth?

Old 06-27-2015, 01:32 PM
Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry all I didn't get the chance to measure anything. It was no bigger than 6" if I remember...

Old 02-26-2021, 02:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the post. I have or should I say my wife has a 17 F type and I bought her the Infinity Basslink for Christmas and plan to install here soon. As for the amp input, did you just connect straight to the wires connected to the stock amp? Can you please send me a link to the workshop manuals that you used. I am also a newbie to the car (only had a few months) and it looks like the battery is in the back. Is that where you got your power for the amp and found a keyed hot for the remote wire?
Thanks

Old 02-26-2021, 06:12 PM
Received 400 Likes on 211 Posts

More interested in the fact that you had two Honda s2000 aka "torqueless wonder". Former AP1 and AP2 owner here!

Old 02-26-2021, 07:36 PM
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by kc_dino2000
Thanks for the post. I have or should I say my wife has a 17 F type and I bought her the Infinity Basslink for Christmas and plan to install here soon. As for the amp input, did you just connect straight to the wires connected to the stock amp? Can you please send me a link to the workshop manuals that you used. I am also a newbie to the car (only had a few months) and it looks like the battery is in the back. Is that where you got your power for the amp and found a keyed hot for the remote wire?
Thanks
Sorry to tell you this, but I don’t think the poster has been on here since 2018...
Maybe you might get lucky, but I wouldn’t hold your breath!

Old 04-24-2021, 07:08 AM
Received 86 Likes on 43 Posts

I had a basslink too and was awesome but this time i had a look at something different.

Panels, I will dynamat the **** out of it because is way too annoying, some musics play acceptable others terrible vibration. Will replace also all speakers!

This was my choice: JL AUDIO ACP112LG-TW1 12" 400w RMS edit: AC(S)112LG-TW1

Almost fits vertically... perhaps trim the box or modify the cover. Anyway connections are all plug type, so easy removal!

Last edited by bcbruno; 04-24-2021 at 07:19 AM.
Old 04-24-2021, 05:34 PM
Received 223 Likes on 125 Posts
Default How to install DIY instructions ....

Gentleman,
Has anyone posted a DIY instructions guide on adding the Infinity bass link or the JL self-powere amified bass speaker into the truck of the car.
Thanks.

Old 05-10-2021, 04:47 AM
Received 86 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Turko
Gentleman,
Has anyone posted a DIY instructions guide on adding the Infinity bass link or the JL self-powere amified bass speaker into the truck of the car.
Thanks.
Made a short guide because you asked but probably this is not the correct way to do it as i am lazy and have no finesse.

About the sub, sounds great and powerful

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
jlaudio1.pdf (1.01 MB, 176 views)
Old 05-11-2021, 08:50 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,112 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Thanks, I enjoyed your PDF, particularly 'clean blood off everything.' I used to install serious audio system in my cars years ago, but they sure make it difficult nowadays.

Old 08-24-2022, 02:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, I have a question. I did not find an answer till now - maybe I did not search enough ;-)

I have the Meridian 380W system and want to place an active subwoofer in the trunk of my F-Type Convertible.
I need a cable to get the audio signal from and should be easy to find (without disasembling the half car).
It should be a cable signal from direct behind Radio untit or before the AMP. Maybe also possible to get the signal from the Door Sub? (it should be ok for subwoofer also)

another question: I heard that a subwoofer in the trunk of a convertible is not a good solution because there are no way for the sound waves to get into the cabin (unless you are getting out your angle grinder)
has someone experiences with this?

Old 08-24-2022, 04:19 AM
Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...146775/page18/

read from page 14 onwards will be relevant for you. Still worthwhile reading all 19 pages though.

Old 08-24-2022, 10:27 AM
Received 136 Likes on 110 Posts

Thankfully I'm not that deep into sound systems and you guys made me feel better about leaving it alone - as I value the trunk space more!

Old 01-23-2023, 03:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is anyone looking to upgrade their F type? I'm selling custom tailored set of speakers (Focal, Harman Kardon, JBL).
MSRP over 1200 USD.
I did not set an estimate, if anyone is interested, please hit me up via DM.
ps. i bought my car from an auction and someone have stolen the amplifier so i decided to fit the OEM 770w meridian system.
DETAILS:

2x Focal Polyglass 4v slim / 3 midrange speakers

2x Harman Kardon Alpha 6520 low range speakers

2x Harman Kardon Alpha 6520 low range speakers + Focal Aluminum inverted dome

tweeters fitted to Jaguar enclosed case, fitted behind the seat

2x JBL GTO19T Premium 0.75-Inch Component Tweeter

2x Focal Crossovers