Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MY15 vs MY16 differences

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 03:21 AM
Tel
Received 233 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
OK, that's a new one on me, and I'll have to take your word for it. I can't imagine a reason why I'd shift it into sport mode so I could keep it manually shifting and then hold the right paddle so that it would shift back into auto.

I was aware that if paddle downshifting in auto mode, one could hold the right paddle to put it back into full auto.
You'll be surprised....It's actually a useful feature; The 'mapping' for the gear changes is completely different when you slip the selector over to the left and pull and hold the r/h paddle.
It's much more aggressive and holds the gears in the upper two thirds of the rev range.

The following users liked this post:
McGriddle (08-20-2015)
Old 08-20-2015, 09:14 AM
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Tel
You'll be surprised....It's actually a useful feature; The 'mapping' for the gear changes is completely different when you slip the selector over to the left and pull and hold the r/h paddle.
It's much more aggressive and holds the gears in the upper two thirds of the rev range.
That's good to know! Thanks Tel.

Old 08-20-2015, 09:40 AM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by hardwired
Are these faults in the 2016 R AWD enough to make you wish you'd replaced your car with a 2015 r?
No, I think the pros outweigh the cons. The faults are mere annoyances in my mind - things that could have been left alone but some engineer thought he could make things better.

Old 08-20-2015, 09:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Tel
I suppose it's useful if you like driving in auto. I don't. I use the paddles 99% of the time.

Old 08-20-2015, 10:09 AM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

OK, that's a new one on me, and I'll have to take your word for it. I can't imagine a reason why I'd shift it into sport mode so I could keep it manually shifting and then hold the right paddle so that it would shift back into auto.

I was aware that if paddle downshifting in auto mode, one could hold the right paddle to put it back into full auto.
The reason could be because after a few manual shifts on the backroads the poster decided he wanted auto shifting in sport, and doesn't want to have to move the shift lever into drive and back to sport to get it.

Happens to me all the time. I prefer sport auto for passing in my V8S. Allows me to just floor it, get the maximum downshift in one instant and blast off. With the paddles I might have to drop three or four gears one at a time. Which is why I hate sequential gearboxes. They are fine for shifting back and forth between 3rd and 4th and suck for anything else.

Old 08-20-2015, 10:19 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Nookieman
The reason could be because after a few manual shifts on the backroads the poster decided he wanted auto shifting in sport, and doesn't want to have to move the shift lever into drive and back to sport to get it.

Happens to me all the time. I prefer sport auto for passing in my V8S. Allows me to just floor it, get the maximum downshift in one instant and blast off. With the paddles I might have to drop three or four gears one at a time. Which is why I hate sequential gearboxes. They are fine for shifting back and forth between 3rd and 4th and suck for anything else.
Now that's logical. However, in the same situation, I don't find a couple of quick flicks of the left paddle bothersome. It keeps me involved in the driving process.

Old 08-22-2015, 05:29 PM

Now that's logical. However, in the same situation, I don't find a couple of quick flicks of the left paddle bothersome. It keeps me involved in the driving process.
If it was a true manual I could drop it from 5th to 2nd in one move. In sport auto the car does a 5-2 downshift for me, also in one move.

With the paddles I have to shift 5-4, then 4-3 and finally 3-2 which takes three paddle flicks. A bit slower, but fine if I have plenty of room to make a pass. Often I don't have a lot of room. Passing zones are rare, and traffic is nonstop. When it is time to pass it is time to pass Right Now.

The paddle downshift being ok assumes I wasn't actually in 4th instead of 5th when I flick the paddle three times. In that case three paddle flicks puts me in 1st instead of 2nd. Which sucks, especially if I end up over revving. This won't happen in auto but I have done it with the paddles. The risk of overrun is another reason why I typically let the car shift for me when I want a maximum downshift. And this is also a big reason why I would prefer a normal manual transmission to any sequential gearbox. In a V8. With at least 500hp. And RWD. Hello jaguar? Listening?

Last edited by Nookieman; 08-22-2015 at 05:35 PM.
Old 08-22-2015, 08:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

If it was a true manual I could drop it from 5th to 2nd in one move. In sport auto the car does a 5-2 downshift for me, also in one move.

With the paddles I have to shift 5-4, then 4-3 and finally 3-2 which takes three paddle flicks. A bit slower, but fine if I have plenty of room to make a pass. Often I don't have a lot of room. Passing zones are rare, and traffic is nonstop. When it is time to pass it is time to pass Right Now.

The paddle downshift being ok assumes I wasn't actually in 4th instead of 5th when I flick the paddle three times. In that case three paddle flicks puts me in 1st instead of 2nd. Which sucks, especially if I end up over revving. This won't happen in auto but I have done it with the paddles. The risk of overrun is another reason why I typically let the car shift for me when I want a maximum downshift. And this is also a big reason why I would prefer a normal manual transmission to any sequential gearbox. In a V8. With at least 500hp. And RWD. Hello jaguar? Listening?
This is all moot if you use the automatic kick down in the gas pedal, which would automatically shift to the lowest possible gear regardless of paddle usage.

Old 08-22-2015, 09:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Stohlen
This is all moot if you use the automatic kick down in the gas pedal, which would automatically shift to the lowest possible gear regardless of paddle usage.
Does it really work that way? I thought that when in Sport (and Dynamic) it holds your gear no matter what... (at a risk of over-revving too)

Old 08-22-2015, 09:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Over rev? Will the AT actually let you shift into a lower gear if it would put the engine over 6800 rpm? I would think that over-revving would only be possible on a down shift with the MT.

Old 08-22-2015, 09:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by lhoboy
Over rev? Will the AT actually let you shift into a lower gear if it would put the engine over 6800 rpm? I would think that over-revving would only be possible on a down shift with the MT.
Well, I've never tried, but the manual does state this about Up Shifts...

"Note: When the transmission is set to permanent manual mode and Dynamic driving mode is selected, transmission up-shifts are fully controlled by the driver. The transmission will not change up automatically, even when the rev limit is reached (the gear position indicator in the Message center will glow amber, to indicate that the next gear should be selected)."

Old 08-22-2015, 10:54 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by TXJagR
Well, I've never tried, but the manual does state this about Up Shifts...

"Note: When the transmission is set to permanent manual mode and Dynamic driving mode is selected, transmission up-shifts are fully controlled by the driver. The transmission will not change up automatically, even when the rev limit is reached (the gear position indicator in the Message center will glow amber, to indicate that the next gear should be selected)."
I would read that as indicating there is a rev limiter in place (as there is with all modern cars I am familiar with) which would prevent further acceleration without a shift.

Old 08-22-2015, 11:14 PM

Not in sport plus dynamic in my car. It just sits in whatever gear the paddles tell it to if I am paddle shifting. At least that's been my experience. Have not tried lately and certainly have not looked it up in the manual.

Old 08-23-2015, 09:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

Not in sport plus dynamic in my car. It just sits in whatever gear the paddles tell it to if I am paddle shifting. At least that's been my experience. Have not tried lately and certainly have not looked it up in the manual.
Could be another 15 vs. 16 difference, but in my car there is a step in the throttle... If you go wide open, and keep pressing down, the pedal will go further and make a click (which I assume is a switch) and the vehicle will then downshift to the lowest possible gear. I am not a huge fan but it is helpful in a panic situation I suppose. This happens even in dynamic+sport.

Old 08-23-2015, 09:17 AM
Veteran Member

Could be another 15 vs. 16 difference, but in my car there is a step in the throttle... If you go wide open, and keep pressing down, the pedal will go further and make a click (which I assume is a switch) and the vehicle will then downshift to the lowest possible gear. I am not a huge fan but it is helpful in a panic situation I suppose. This happens even in dynamic+sport.
I've got the same step in the '16 MT that overrides the ASL.

Old 08-23-2015, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member

You're right, and I'd completely forgotten about this. Last year, I do recall once or twice burying the throttle pedal while in full manual (in sport + dynamic mode), and having it kick down at least a couple of gears. I now remember being surprised by that.

Since I usually manually shift, and since I usually keep my engine revs in the "sweet-spot" band appropriate to gear selected, I rarely have to paddle down more than one gear to get the acceleration I'm looking for. That's why I've only seen it a couple of times.

If I recall correctly, I was in 5th-6th and instinctively stomped the throttle to react to a traffic situation, and it automatically kicked down a least a couple of gears.

Mine's a base '14 so it must be on all automatic models.