Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MY16 F-Types Quarantined

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 11:27 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default MY16 F-Types Quarantined

Hi all.

My first post as a new member, and sharing some news about my on-order MY16 F-Type, which has been delayed, and which may affect some of you with orders in the pipeline.

I was supposed to be collecting my new pride and joy yesterday, but last week the dealer told me it had been delayed by a week due to "software issues".

I've found out today that it has now been put back another week, and have been told that all current F Types are being held while they fix an issue with the stop-start system, which is kicking some cars into neutral on the start cycle.

I will not be using that particular feature but that won't get my car here any earlier I'm afraid. For the record, I was told that some F's which have been delivered or are on their way to dealers will also be affected. Mine was off the production line on 17 March, and delivery is now not expected before 10 April.

So apologies for starting off with a "bad news" post, but it will be here sooner or later. Should a grown man be this excited?

Old 03-31-2015, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

This is unfortunately well known news around these parts, however this is the first time I'm hearing any information on what the software update is for. We've been told that only AWD units are affected, but most of us have been told that they do not expect the vehicles to be released until late April. My vehicle was one of the first produced for the U.S. and it did not slip through, so I wonder if RWD units were recently found to be effected too, since these have been released to dealers.

I also plan to not use the feature which is comical, I will be taking the battery out immediately on delivery.

Last edited by Stohlen; 03-31-2015 at 12:25 PM.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:33 PM

Yes, all a bit confusing. I'm waiting for my new RWD R, so it's not just the AWD's that are being affected, or so it would seem.

But a separate issue (according to the dealer) on the auto-alert / emergency phone software in the event of an accident.

We'll all just have to be patient...

Old 03-31-2015, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

I just noticed you're in the U.K. Which of course could make all the difference as well. Who knows.

Old 03-31-2015, 02:52 PM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

This makes sense. Then it is not an EPA hold. If it affects UK cars it must be a global quarantine.

Old 03-31-2015, 05:58 PM
Tel
Received 233 Likes on 143 Posts

There seems to be plenty of conflicting rumours from both sides of the pond, Software re-flash, eco issues, Remote apps...I wonder if we will ever know the REAL reason? Out of interest more than anything else.

This is where I feel JLR should step up to the mark and communicate with their customers directly, rather than via the retailers.

Old 04-01-2015, 01:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

Quarantined? Where? Is there a risk that these vehicles could infect similar models already on the road, or is transmission only through direct contact with the fluids of affected vehicles???

Old 04-01-2015, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by F-typical
Quarantined? Where? Is there a risk that these vehicles could infect similar models already on the road, or is transmission only through direct contact with the fluids of affected vehicles???
The dealer's description, not mine.

Old 04-01-2015, 02:07 PM

So, called JLR customer service today. They confirmed that a number of new f types are being held either in the factory or at dealerships while "a potential issue which has been identified is resolved". Would not say anything more than that, but talked about customer care, quality etc etc. I also asked about those that had been shipped outside the UK, but got a polite no comment.

Back to counting an unknown number of sleeps before I get my new f Type......

Old 04-01-2015, 05:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

Well, a few days ago, my dealer did confirm the need for a software update, and a port hold for the AWDs. However, he also said that by the time mine arrives Stateside the issues will be resolved and mine will be on the way to the local dealer.

Again, I don't believe everything I am told, but if this is the case, mine is expected in port on 4/10...

Old 04-01-2015, 07:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 20,634 Likes on 8,309 Posts

Originally Posted by F-typical

Be sure you guys get the proper meds thru unprotected contact with certain fluids....drip...drip...drip....