F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MY2019 F-Type R oil overfilled

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2021, 04:38 PM
Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts
Default MY2019 F-Type R oil overfilled

Just had my E103 service done. When I got home (80 miles from the dealership) I thought I'd better check the oil level. Shut off the car and waited the 10 min. Checked the level in the gauge cluster and sure enough, its overfilled. The sheet they gave me shows 9 of the 0W20. How big a deal is this?

Old 10-26-2021, 04:45 PM
Received 104 Likes on 50 Posts

The dealer overfilled the oil on my 2015 R many times. Each time I had to drive back to have them extract excess oil. Once I extracted it myself to avoid another trip to the dealer. The F-Type R is sensitive to overfill. Not goods on any car to have overfilled oil.

Old 10-26-2021, 04:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 257 Posts

Are you saying it took 9 qts?
The spec for the 8 cylinder engine looks like 6.5 liters (6.9 qts).
That would appear to be a significant overfill that you should probably correct ASAP.

Old 10-26-2021, 04:52 PM
Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Yup, happened to me too when I first bought the car and they had done the oil change. Went back and had them fix it. You would think that they do enough of these that they would check it.

Old 10-26-2021, 05:03 PM

Yea, I have an extractor. I didn't drive it hard, just set the cruse 85 - 90 on the highway. I can't believe this is such a common problem. I just called the dealership and spoke with the service receptionist. She is checking with the service manager to see what needs to be done. Obviously, I'll suck out the excess oil, but I told her I wanted it noted in my file with JLR incase anything came of it later.

The just called and want a picture of the digital oil gauge.

Old 10-26-2021, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by CJSJAG
Are you saying it took 9 qts?
The spec for the 8 cylinder engine looks like 6.5 liters (6.9 qts).
That would appear to be a significant overfill that you should probably correct ASAP.

Not sure if its 9 quarts, but the invoice they gave me says 9 and then lists the oil

Old 10-26-2021, 05:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Count me in the club. Definitely correct to notify the dealer. My dealer gave me a labor discount on some out of warranty service I had done to compensate. It was an important gesture for them to make as I have bought several JLR vehicles and would sour the future possibilities of same. Problem is I didn't want to drive it back 90 miless to dealer (although they do pick mine up as courtesy and give me a loaner) on an overfill. Bought the extractor and verified the overfill amount and had it changed locally as they could not do it for a month due to backup in service.

Old 10-27-2021, 09:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 589 Likes on 402 Posts

The early documentation for the V8 overstated the oil capacity. We used to hear pretty frequently from members who'd been overfilled. Not so much lately and you'd like the correct word was out by now. Given the distance from the dealer, I'd personally just extract the excess myself and double check with the usual preferred conditions (warm engine, rested, and very level ground). But, I'd also suggest contacting the dealer's service manager to alert him to the problem - as documented by the service record. Maybe to drive home the point, you could start with that and suggest they send the mechanic out to adjust the oil level. I'm sure he would suggest you just drive it back to the dealership to have if corrected. I'd say "sure, just sent me an email in writing that the dealership accepts any liability for damage - appearing now or in the future."

Old 10-27-2021, 09:42 AM
Received 368 Likes on 236 Posts

If the oil change was done out of warranty the dealer probably charged you for the two extra quarts as well. Not a huge amount of money, but I'd request a refund for sure.

Old 10-27-2021, 10:28 AM

It was all under warranty so no charge to me. I don't want to be a dick about it, but I expect exceptional service for a vehicle with this kind of price tag. I could easily and much more conveniently change the oil my self as I have an oil extractor, access to a two and four post lift, etc... but as I understand it I need to have them do it so any warranty issues are handled smoothly.

Old 10-27-2021, 12:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 556 Likes on 358 Posts

How is this still an issue? This has been going on for years.

THey round up when thy bill, so they probably didn't put in 9 qts. It's still an odd number. The old RWD cars took 7.25 and the deal would round up billing to 8. That was still overfilling the AWD cars, which take 6.5. Their tech procedures never got updated.This happened to me at my dealer three times. I finally gave up on them and paid for the next oil change out of my pocket rather than using a free one because I was just done with them.

The good news is your car is most likely fine. It's at higher RPMs that the issue starts happening. Regardless, I'd still contact the dealer and have them explain it. I've included the documentation from the owners manual

Old 10-27-2021, 06:47 PM
Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

I bought mine last year from a dealer my cousin works at in Chicago. Once I received the car off the transport and checked it, it was also overfilled by 2 quarts. I just extracted the excess and contacted my cousin and told them his service department is clueless.

Old 10-28-2021, 04:01 AM
Veteran Member

Mine was overfilled by the amount for the AWD and I requested the service manager check it before returning the car.

Old 10-28-2021, 09:29 AM
Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

This seems to be a very frequent issue amongst modern Jags without a oil stick to check the level. I've had the issue with both the XF and F. I'm always told that the engineer is totally sure he put the right amount in for each car. I tend to drive it for a few weeks, not being too heavy footed, constantly checking the oil level. After a couple weeks the level reads OK.
Next time I have an oil change I'm going to expressly ask them to leave it a quart short and give me the quart. Interesting to see what will happen. I guess they won't give me the quart but we'll see.

Old 10-29-2021, 04:41 AM
Veteran Member

My response should have said "overfilled by the amount for the RWD". Can not edit original.

Last edited by jaguny; 10-29-2021 at 06:43 PM.
Old 10-29-2021, 07:03 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
My response should have said "overfilled by the amount for the AWD". Cannot edit original.
That's what you typed! Do you mean RWD, which, as you know, takes more oil?

Old 10-29-2021, 08:37 AM
Veteran Member

Even the RWD does not take close to 9qts

Old 10-29-2021, 10:30 AM

They towed mind back to OKC yesterday. Ticket says they removed .5 qts but the girl I was dealing with said they removed about 1qt, so who knows. They towed it back to me yesterday evening. I parked it in the garage and tried to check the oil but it said "unavailable". I'll check it again later today. The girl @ the dealership did say she verified it was correct before it left. Can't help but think a dip stick would remedy some of this.

Old 10-29-2021, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member

Does anyone know whether the JLR dealers drain the oil out or do they suck it out through the fill port?
If they suck it out it is more likley to lead to overfilling, assuming there is always residual oil.
Given all these reports of overfilling, I certainly plan to read the service report carefully and check my electronic dipstick before leaving the dealership.

Old 10-29-2021, 10:42 AM

From what I understand they suck it out. I would defiantly check it before you leave. I certainly should have.

Quick Reply: MY2019 F-Type R oil overfilled