F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Name Something You Discovered About Your F-Type AFTER You Bought it...

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 04:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 985 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
I discovered that there is a tiny little hole at the bottom of the fuel tank filler to catch excess gas and drain it into the tank if you overfill. Super great. =)
I has to just drain out, else you'd get a full tank of water when it rains.

Old 02-15-2016, 05:58 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Just noticed this today: when in reverse (and when the option is engaged), the side mirror dips so that the driver can see the curb (presumably), BUT if that driver travels a bit too fast, the mirror goes back to normal. It only dips when going slowly. Kinda makes sense.

Old 02-15-2016, 06:10 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,109 Likes on 1,408 Posts

Originally Posted by Socal_transplant
Just noticed this today: when in reverse (and when the option is engaged), the side mirror dips so that the driver can see the curb (presumably), BUT if that driver travels a bit too fast, the mirror goes back to normal. It only dips when going slowly. Kinda makes sense.
You can turn that on/off in the menu from the steering wheel. And according to the manual, when it's dipped, you can adjust the mirror position, and it will remember that next time it dips.

First car I've had with this feature - pretty slick.

The following users liked this post:
Socal_transplant (02-15-2016)
Old 02-15-2016, 07:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by lizzardo
I has to just drain out, else you'd get a full tank of water when it rains.
Yes, the hole drains through a tube straight onto the ground. Please don't ask me how I know.

Old 02-15-2016, 09:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 985 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Yes, the hole drains through a tube straight onto the ground. Please don't ask me how I know.
Now you've done it. I have to: How do you know?

Old 02-15-2016, 09:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by lizzardo
Now you've done it. I have to: How do you know?
Let's just say this: Once the filler neck is fixed, there is no point in taking a second stab at topping off the tank.

MaximA (09-05-2016)
Old 02-16-2016, 10:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Let's just say this: Once the filler neck is fixed, there is no point in taking a second stab at topping off the tank.
LOL

and duh. Thanks. Water in the gas tank would be pretty pretty stupid. =)

You know, I've caught myself wondering about Ian's (or cars in general) design for water and drainage, so as to avoid any pooling or penetration. I had never thought about that in my Wrangler, because it all pooled from the windows and doors into my footwell. Where else would it go? That's what the plug drain is for.

So looking at this car and thinking about how pesky water is, I am really impressed with the attention they've taken to allow water to pour off... especially water from the convertible top that basically has a built in gutter to funnel it to the ground. I am sure I am 20 years behind and this is not awe inspiring design.

I do note that some water sometimes pools in the doorwell, after rain. It's no bother. Anyhoo.... all that being said, I am a) not surprised they figured out the fuel drainage.... but b) ON THE GROUND? I am glad someone else figured it out before I did....

But on the ground? CA state regulators better not read this.

Old 02-16-2016, 02:33 PM
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
.... all that being said, I am a) not surprised they figured out the fuel drainage.... but b) ON THE GROUND? I am glad someone else figured it out before I did....

But on the ground? CA state regulators better not read this.
I seriously doubt it was ever intended for fuel overspill, but for water drainage, pure and simple.

Whether it's water that has snuck in when raining, or whether you're washing the car and open the fuel cap to clean inside.

Uncle Fishbits (02-17-2016)
Old 02-17-2016, 01:09 PM
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Grumpy Finn
I discovered that the 770W stereo upgrade is worthless unless you're listening to it at ear bleeding levels, and it does not read FLAC (my whole library) files natively, although it can burn discs into a hard drive and play DVD's, but you all knew this already ..... I've noticed also, if I use my Fiio X3 line out and connect it through AUX, the system is actually very good playing at 96/24kHz sample rate compared to iPod (44.1/16kHz better than OTA stations), 124/96 is too much and does not make noticeable difference.

Just curious to see if anyone has tried any alternate music players, like the Pono, with the F-Type USB input. I can't find any documentation stating that it's only iPod compatible. I've used a 64GB USB stick without any issues, but am limited to the file formats that the car can read. I'd really like to find a way to play FLAC files without having to use the standard input jack method.

Old 02-17-2016, 03:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

someone actually bought a Pono? Please don't take offense...but other than a very uncomfortable segment with Neil Young on the Jimmy Fallon show...I didn't think the thing existed.

edit: in an attempt to actually be useful to this conversation, i'd imagine that the USB port will treat any non-iOS device like an external drive. So if you have MP3s on an android device it would probably read them. But the head unit doesn't have codecs to decode anything besides MP3 (to my knowledge).

Last edited by Nati; 02-17-2016 at 03:48 PM.
Old 02-17-2016, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Nati
someone actually bought a Pono? Please don't take offense...but other than a very uncomfortable segment with Neil Young on the Jimmy Fallon show...I didn't think the thing existed.

edit: in an attempt to actually be useful to this conversation, i'd imagine that the USB port will treat any non-iOS device like an external drive. So if you have MP3s on an android device it would probably read them. But the head unit doesn't have codecs to decode anything besides MP3 (to my knowledge).
LOL - obviously, I don't have a Pono, or I wouldn't be asking if anyone else did. I have seen a few of them in the wild and they do apparently work quite well. However, there are plenty of other MP3 players that will play FLAC at a much lower cost than that of the Pono, so I'd more than likely look elsewhere, as well.

As for your suggestion that any alternate MP3 player would probably be read as a USB storage device, I'd be willing to bet that you're absolutely right!

Old 02-17-2016, 04:21 PM
jf1
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Nati
From the 2016 Owner Information (not sure on previous years)

USB mass storage devices (e.g., a memory stick). Devices must use FAT or FAT32 file format.

The Audio system will play MP3, WMA, and AAC files.

Old 02-17-2016, 05:52 PM
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Atomic
LOL - obviously, I don't have a Pono, or I wouldn't be asking if anyone else did. I have seen a few of them in the wild and they do apparently work quite well. However, there are plenty of other MP3 players that will play FLAC at a much lower cost than that of the Pono, so I'd more than likely look elsewhere, as well.

As for your suggestion that any alternate MP3 player would probably be read as a USB storage device, I'd be willing to bet that you're absolutely right!

I have a FIIO X3 gen 2, USB digital connection in Jag actually recognizes it as an X3, all the controls work fine, I can navigate through file folders, and use steering wheel controls also.... but it's the file formats I have a problem with.... so, my solution to the problem was to buy another 128 gig micro sd, convert some of my music library directly onto it as a highest quality (320kbps MP3) and hope that Jaguar can read it... I'll let you know later how it works out.

Old 02-17-2016, 07:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 596 Likes on 404 Posts

As I recall, you'll have to back off from 320kbps to 256 or under.

Last edited by uncheel; 02-17-2016 at 07:56 PM.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by uncheel
As I recall, you'll have to back off from 320kbps to 256 or under.
I've got a 64GB usb stick in the car now that's loaded up with 320 Kbps files and they all work perfectly. So, 320 isn't a problem.

Old 02-17-2016, 10:43 PM
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

While we're on the subject, anyone know how to stop auto-play from the iphone when entering the car?

Old 02-18-2016, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by apm33
While we're on the subject, anyone know how to stop auto-play from the iphone when entering the car?
Auto-play? Do you mean that your music starts streaming over Bluetooth as soon as you get in the car?

Old 02-18-2016, 07:42 PM
BMo
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Atomic
Auto-play? Do you mean that your music starts streaming over Bluetooth as soon as you get in the car?
Yeah, mine does...I kinda like it. Can't remember the exact steps but it is through the settings. I can try to look at that tonight unless you figure it out,

apm33 (02-20-2016)
Old 02-19-2016, 08:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure if it's already been posted, but I just found out yesterday that if you press both mirror buttons at the same time, the fold in! Not the most useful thing, but it'll come in handy for me during parking garage maneuvering.

Old 02-19-2016, 12:52 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Something I Did not Know

Unsure whether it has been discussed before, but in my F Type with a manual transmission, when driving in normal mode, a green arrow appears around 2,500 RPM suggesting the driver to shift up gear.

Quick Reply: Name Something You Discovered About Your F-Type AFTER You Bought it...