F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Name Something You Discovered About Your F-Type AFTER You Bought it...

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 12:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 338 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by dcompain
Unsure whether it has been discussed before, but in my F Type with a manual transmission, when driving in normal mode, a green arrow appears around 2,500 RPM suggesting the driver to shift up gear.
The same happens when in manual mode with automatic transmission (might be at different/lower rpms though).

Old 02-19-2016, 03:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Unsure whether it has been discussed before, but in my F Type with a manual transmission, when driving in normal mode, a green arrow appears around 2,500 RPM suggesting the driver to shift up gear.
See it every time just before I shift.

Old 02-19-2016, 03:16 PM
Veteran Member

See it every time just before I shift. Something to ignore.

Old 02-20-2016, 07:24 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Although I knew before getting the vehicle, it would have been nice if it came with a HUD.

The following 3 users liked this post by ckosiek:
19FRG (10-02-2020), lsbrodsky (02-20-2016), schraderade (08-23-2016)
Old 02-23-2016, 09:48 AM
Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

At night/early morning, when the start/stop button is illuminated, the back lighting of the button will slowly pulsate until you press the button--as if it's alive!

Old 02-23-2016, 10:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

It's affectionately referred to as "the heartbeat" and has been a feature on Jaguars for a number of years.

The following users liked this post:
Kief (02-23-2016)
Old 02-23-2016, 10:17 AM
Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
It's affectionately referred to as "the heartbeat" and has been a feature on Jaguars for a number of years.
I'm still wet behind the ears with regards to Jaguar. Perfect name.
I love this car!!!

Old 03-15-2016, 12:31 AM
Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

If you have DSC turned off, turning on the Cruise Control will automatically turn DSC back ON.

Old 03-15-2016, 06:40 AM
Received 89 Likes on 57 Posts

Why would you turn DSC off? Unless you are on a race-track.
I did Jaguar performance driving academy and left DSC on and it saved my *** a few times - I would have spun. I consider myself a good driver, I've done skip barber and track and lap days. I'm happy to leave it on - why would you turn it off anyone?
Image of straight-away at Monticello comes to mind, I get F-Tyoe up to 160 and then take a break and turn cruise control on, the car shuts off DSC and then ejects me out the roof at the next turn.

Old 03-15-2016, 07:31 AM
Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

DSC off for general antics, a proper burnout and launching the car...of course.

What I've discovered...it's a magnet for picking up dudes, wtf...women hit or miss. Killing me.

sonny2 (03-15-2016)
Old 03-15-2016, 07:38 AM
Default Why I Turn Off DSC

Originally Posted by TR64ever
Why would you turn DSC off? Unless you are on a race-track.
I did Jaguar performance driving academy and left DSC on and it saved my *** a few times - I would have spun. I consider myself a good driver, I've done skip barber and track and lap days. I'm happy to leave it on - why would you turn it off anyone?
I turn it off all the time bc it gets in the way of my driving style.

I'm a licensed race car driver, competition license instructor, HPDE Instructor candidate instructor & certified track instructor. I've been driving on track since 1998 & do on average, 26 track days annually. (Except In 2000, where I did ~36 track days.)

When I took my F-Type to the track with DSC switched to Track, it promptly boiled over the brake fluid & when I went into a brake zone @ ~110mph, I went straight off into the kitty litter. When I turned DSC completely off, I never had any issues with the brakes or brake fluid. I could trail-brake into a corner to get her to rotate for the corner. Or I could get her completely sideways at will & hold her there. Never spun her but was power-sliding practically out of every corner. Not the fastest way around the track but it was certainly entertaining!

On the street, I get her sideways in corners all the time WITHIN the speed limit bc of the available instant power oversteer. What I did just yesterday afternoon: Sitting at a red light & waiting to make a left turn. Light turns green with no other cars around -- turn left & mash the gas & the car gets sideways @ 25mph. Counter-steer with mild throttle input & she just straightens right out & I'm still only doing ~35mph. It's just hooniganism.

The following 5 users liked this post by sonny2:
MaximA (09-05-2016), mbelanger (11-06-2017), PolkNole (03-15-2016), SinF (03-15-2016), TR64ever (03-15-2016)
Old 03-15-2016, 08:10 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sonny2
I turn it off all the time bc it gets in the way of my driving style.

I'm a licensed race car driver, competition license instructor, HPDE Instructor candidate instructor & certified track instructor. I've been driving on track since 1998 & do on average, 26 track days annually. (Except In 2000, where I did ~36 track days.)

When I took my F-Type to the track with DSC switched to Track, it promptly boiled over the brake fluid & when I went into a brake zone @ ~110mph, I went straight off into the kitty litter. When I turned DSC completely off, I never had any issues with the brakes or brake fluid. I could trail-brake into a corner to get her to rotate for the corner. Or I could get her completely sideways at will & hold her there. Never spun her but was power-sliding practically out of every corner. Not the fastest way around the track but it was certainly entertaining!

On the street, I get her sideways in corners all the time WITHIN the speed limit bc of the available instant power oversteer. What I did just yesterday afternoon: Sitting at a red light & waiting to make a left turn. Light turns green with no other cars around -- turn left & mash the gas & the car gets sideways @ 25mph. Counter-steer with mild throttle input & she just straightens right out & I'm still only doing ~35mph. It's just hooniganism.
+1. I leave it on when I'm loping along on a commute and not laser focused on pushing the limits. Through the twisties, it inhibits the ability to power steer through the turns and as mentioned above, overwhelms the braking system. I usually turn it off up in the mountains. (similarly, I am a formerly nationally licensed road racer)

sonny2 (03-15-2016)
Old 03-15-2016, 08:59 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,156 Likes on 1,445 Posts

I'm a formerly nationally licensed road weenie. I leave DSC on at all times, except...
I did a track day once, so I put it in Trak DSC. Why not?
I turned it off to do a smoking 180. My passenger is still laughing, and that was two years ago.

Old 03-15-2016, 09:33 AM
Received 89 Likes on 57 Posts

OK; I"m privileged and grateful to own a car who's sports-car track capabilities exceed my abilities. (see: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...nymore-158173/)
DJS and Sonny2 have the abilities I can only wish I had, I can appreciate their abilities, especially to perform antics on the public highways. Launch Control on straight dry pavement is as far as I've gone, and I love how she has 3 acceleration sensors and safety systems to protect an amateur (me) when I'm sliding the car around -- I know how badly one can screw up. At 55, spending the $ for track time to improve my abilities is becoming less likely every day, but the dream is alive here and I have the sports car to do it with.

Maybe our Moderator can shift this to a new thread dedicated to DSC?

Old 03-15-2016, 10:25 AM
DJS
Veteran Member

That's Unhinged and Sonny2 you're referring to. I have no abilities.

I do wish I had somewhere where I could experiment, to see what getting the tail out is like. No where around here to do that, that I know of. Certainly didn't on the one track day I did, as a novice.

A friend does autocross in his Boxster. That would be fun, I think. I know JANE (Jaguar Club of New England) does stuff like that, but I've never looked into it.

Uncle Fishbits (03-16-2016)
Old 03-15-2016, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by TR64Ever
spending the $ for track time to improve my abilities is becoming less likely every day, but the dream is alive here and I have the sports car to do it with.
An auto-X would be an EXCELLENT venue for you to try & push the limits a little without really hurting the car. You'll burn off some rubber & maybe hit a few cones.

Motorsports North East puts on auto-x events at Giants Stadium throughout the year. Maybe you'd like to check it out? Their next event is March 20th.

Last edited by sonny2; 03-15-2016 at 12:12 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by sonny2:
TR64ever (03-18-2016), Uncle Fishbits (03-16-2016)
Old 03-16-2016, 09:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
That's Unhinged and Sonny2 you're referring to. I have no abilities. I do wish I had somewhere where I could experiment, to see what getting the tail out is like. No where around here to do that, that I know of. Certainly didn't on the one track day I did, as a novice.
EDIT:

I would appreciate advice on which clubs, if any, are the "main" ones, or any clubs to ignore. I mean... Is it all SCCA and regional stuff, or are there better groups?

a) super simple, boring DSC explanation for a dummy:
b) link to "trackmasters" for NorCal people who want to hit the track north of Sac, or Sears Point Sonoma... Laguna Seca too. Looks like SF SCCA does some events in Monterey at the old Fort Ord airport in Marina?
http://trackmasters-racing.com/index...t&content_id=2

Also SF Speed events? http://www.speedsf.com/events-registration/

-----original note-----

I started laughing reading some of our gents driving credentials. It is obvious DSC is built to save people from themselves... lol. I certainly am not skilled enough to really understand what is happening with DSC, or where, really, I should experiment with it... I commuted today at 5.30a and it was nearly spiritual the roads were so empty. Or is it better on my daily commute to the gym, on a really windy road? What's going on when it's off vs on? I know I can research (I will)....

But yes... I would adore the opportunity to experiment without become a scofflaw or a danger to anyone. I don't mind endangering myself.... but not sure where to go. I will check out the below events, mentioned. Thanks.

I can't even find a parking lot I feel safe enough to teach my wife to drive stick! =)

Last edited by Uncle Fishbits; 03-16-2016 at 09:39 AM.
Misujerr (02-14-2017)
Old 03-16-2016, 01:10 PM
Veteran Member

At least not too long ago SCCA used to be THE place for Solo I, Solo II and road racing. I'm not certain that is the case anymore. I left their ranks awhile ago when I noted that they were no longer taking the "no-contact" rules seriously. Other clubs are probably just as or more prevalent regionally. In any event, SCCA road racing is really just for track dedicated cars.

Plenty of road racing circuits offer open track days. If you are serious about learning the limits of your car, I would suggest hiring a private driving instructor to accompany you to such an event.

I do miss wheel to wheel racing.

Sorry for going OT.

Old 03-16-2016, 01:16 PM
DJS
Veteran Member

I hired an instructor for the track day I did (had to, as a novice.) It was a great experience - he showed me what my car could do, and I was shocked. Was holding on for dear life when he took me out in his Vette with track tires.

Said the only thing he didn't like about my car was the P-Zeros.

Old 03-16-2016, 01:35 PM
Received 218 Likes on 160 Posts

Where/How did you find a reputable instructor?

Quick Reply: Name Something You Discovered About Your F-Type AFTER You Bought it...