F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Name Something You Discovered About Your F-Type AFTER You Bought it...

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 01:14 PM
Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Burt Gummer
Something I discovered - driving at night, especially on a Friday/Saturday night:

Everyone wants to race. Around 1am+ so many have probably had their shot or two or a few IPAs.

Coming down Burnside in PDX last night and turning up 2nd I had no less than three red light challenges. From an AMG to a beat up Subaru. Massive revving and carrying on, burnouts - three honks - you name it.

Anyone from Portland knows that area is literally saturated with cops. I drove like an old woman with the active exhaust off. Lots of frustration from the other 'racers.'

No cops around by some miracle so my antagonists were hopefully able to have a nice evening regardless.

I was young, wreckless and ignorant once also so I just let bygones be bygones; live and let live.
Ha! So it isn't just me. I get challenged to race quite frequently in Portland. Last by a group of M3s on 26. Honking at me revving their engine one on each side. I just ignore them and they usually move on once they get the idea that I'm not biting.

Old 07-11-2017, 01:24 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Discovered that when you brake hard enough to set off the hazard lights, the car drops out of Dynamic mode.

Also AMG Mercedes drivers are *****...

Cheers
Stu

Old 07-11-2017, 05:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by Rat156
Discovered that when you brake hard enough to set off the hazard lights, the car drops out of Dynamic mode.

Cheers
Stu
Please explain, what hazard lights?

Old 07-11-2017, 06:44 PM
Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
Emergency flashers?
CRS

Old 07-11-2017, 07:13 PM
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I was young, wreckless and ignorant once also so I just let bygones be bygones; live and let live.
About 100,000 in PDX took your place.

It seems like every time I head north on I5 just getting into the Terwilliger turns some idiot wants to race.

Did you purchase your FT from Monte Sheldon?

Scott S

Old 07-11-2017, 07:19 PM
Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by marcw
Ha! So it isn't just me. I get challenged to race quite frequently in Portland. Last by a group of M3s on 26. Honking at me revving their engine one on each side. I just ignore them and they usually move on once they get the idea that I'm not biting.

Same here; it's amazing how many people want to challenge you when just cruising around. I already have had my share of Challengers, Corvettes, CTS-Vs, a couple of Ms, WRXs, 370Z, and even some Honda ricers...lol. The ones in the know usually either get too aggressive to see if you take the bait (no way) or will just shadow you if they know what you really have (relative to theirs). Everyone else just wants to see how you fly so I don't mind a quick blip on the throttle...the instant surge ahead and sound usually nets me a thumbs up.

I also usually have my wife with me so I make sure to play it cool anyway. Although, she did egg me on once so I obliged for a quick sprint and promptly scared her. Back to playing it cool.

Old 07-12-2017, 12:01 AM
Received 100 Likes on 78 Posts

I learned today that driving into the sun with a heated windshield (metal filaments) does not make for a good view. Makes pretty rainbows though

Old 07-12-2017, 01:10 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
According to this Link

Hazard warning lamps.

Hazard lights for short.

Cheers
Stu

Old 07-12-2017, 06:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by Rat156

Cheers
Stu
You can trigger the Hazard lights by jamming on the brakes? That's a new one on me.

Old 07-12-2017, 06:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Noticed it before but it just popped up again.
When the "Low Fuel" warning pops up, the trip meter automatically changes to "distance to empty xx".

Old 07-12-2017, 09:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

+1 on the hazard lights. Now I have to try that one.

Old 07-12-2017, 09:13 AM
Veteran Member

Scott -
No, I got the FT used out of Houston.

Haven't been to a dealer yet. Was debating going to Monte Shelton or Jaquar of Portland over on Grand Ave.

Yep - I live just blocks from the Terwilliger turns I know what you are taking about; however 75% of the time now it is just stop and go traffic.

Originally Posted by Scott S
About 100,000 in PDX took your place.

It seems like every time I head north on I5 just getting into the Terwilliger turns some idiot wants to race.

Did you purchase your FT from Monte Sheldon?

Scott S

Old 07-12-2017, 09:21 AM
Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
You can trigger the Hazard lights by jamming on the brakes? That's a new one on me.
Watch this video VERY closely at 17:35 and a few seconds after that, and you will see the hazards come on during REALLY hard braking.

Frankly, on the street, if you're braking so hard that the hazards come on, you're going to get rear ended if in traffic, even though that's what the hazards are trying to prevent. "Attention grabbers" so to speak.

The following users liked this post:
jaguny (07-13-2017)
Old 07-12-2017, 09:56 AM
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Scott -
No, I got the FT used out of Houston.

Haven't been to a dealer yet. Was debating going to Monte Shelton or Jaquar of Portland over on Grand Ave.

Yep - I live just blocks from the Terwilliger turns I know what you are taking about; however 75% of the time now it is just stop and go traffic.
Monte Shelton has been renamed to Jaguar of Portland The old Monte Sheldon showroom is being torn down I understand.

Old 07-12-2017, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by Mueller
Watch this video VERY closely at 17:35 and a few seconds after that, and you will see the hazards come on during REALLY hard braking. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruFXKEIPTvA

Frankly, on the street, if you're braking so hard that the hazards come on, you're going to get rear ended if in traffic, even though that's what the hazards are trying to prevent. "Attention grabbers" so to speak.
I had to watch no sound...

are we sure he didn't hit them by accident? Not sure when or where I could test that feature, but sort of curious how many times this has been replicated. NOT DOUBTING, just curious!

Old 07-12-2017, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member

Yes - I used to know all the people over at (now) Jaquar of Portland. Wired their building and installed their phone system back in 1995. Nice people. They are building a huge dealership out in Tigard in a year or two, moving out of Grand.

Old 07-12-2017, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I never seen hazard activate on their own while driving on the track.

Old 07-12-2017, 11:39 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,112 Likes on 1,410 Posts

If they turn off by themselves too, then you'd be unlikely to see them - shouldn't be looking at the dash under hard braking! I didn't notice anything either when I tracked mine. (Side note: I was impressed that I never activated ABS, though my face about fell off under heavy braking. Nice brakes!)

Old 07-12-2017, 11:49 AM
Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
I never seen hazard activate on their own while driving on the track.
Hazard lights activating under very hard braking is a pretty common feature on most European cars...

Hazard Lights on Braking

A few other examples on youtube too. Modern day BMW's are pretty sensitive.

Old 07-12-2017, 11:58 AM
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

i noticed the amount of wind noise generated by the side mirrors. almost makes it unbearable to drive with windows open on highway.

Quick Reply: Name Something You Discovered About Your F-Type AFTER You Bought it...