F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Name Something You Discovered About Your F-Type AFTER You Bought it...

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2020, 09:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
It’s never been clear to me if we have ‘double locking’ in the US. May have to try it again, as I’m currently in the company of 11 other F-types.
Here is what my Owner's Handbook says about single and double locking:

"Single locking: • Smart key: Press the lock button once, to lock the vehicle.
Keyless locking: Press the deployed handle briefly to Single lock the vehicle. Note: Make sure the Smart key is within 1 m (3 ft) of the door handle. The Smart key may not be detected if it is placed within a metal container or if it is shielded by a device with a back-lit LCD screen, such as a smart phone, laptop (including when inside a laptop bag), game console, etc. Note: When Single locked, the hazard warning lamps will flash once to confirm. The handle of both doors will retract to the flush position. Note: Single locking secures the vehicle and prevents the doors, fuel filler flap and the Luggage compartment being opened from outside of the vehicle. The doors can be unlocked and opened from inside the vehicle. It also activates the Perimeter alarm, see 17, PERIMETER ALARM.
Double Locking: • Smart key: Press the lock button twice within 3 seconds to Double lock the vehicle.
• Keyless locking: Within 3 seconds of having Single locked the vehicle, briefly press the retracted door handle again. Note: When Double locked, the hazard warning lamps will flash twice (with a long second flash) and an audible warning will sound as confirmation. The audible warning can be enabled/disabled by a Dealer/Authorised Repairer. Note: Double locking secures the vehicle and prevents the doors and the Luggage compartment from being opened from outside of the vehicle. The doors cannot be unlocked and opened from inside the vehicle. It also activates the Full alarm system. See 17, FULL ALARM. Never Double lock the vehicle with people, children, or pets inside. In the event of an emergency they would be unable to escape, and the emergency services would be unable to release them quickly. 15 Exiting the vehicle R DOOR LOCKS AND RELEASE LEVERS Park (P) should be engaged and the Parking brake applied when the vehicle is stationary. The vehicle can move unexpectedly with any other gear position selected. 1. Press the unlock button to unlock the vehicle. Note: Handles will automatically deploy on both doors. 2. Press the lock button to lock the vehicle. Note: Handles will automatically retract to the flush position on both doors. 3. Pull the release lever to open the door. Note: If the car was Single locked using the Smart key, then operating the release lever will only release that door and the alarm will sound. If the vehicle has been Double locked, the interior door release levers will not operate. The vehicle must be unlocked using the Smart key. SINGLE LOCKING Press the lock button briefly. Single locking secures the vehicle and prevents the doors and the Luggage compartment from being opened from outside of the vehicle. The doors can be unlocked and opened from inside the vehicle. The hazard warning lamps will flash once as confirmation.

DOUBLE LOCKING Never Double lock the vehicle with people, children, or pets inside. In the event of an emergency they would be unable to escape, and the emergency services would be unable to release them quickly. When the vehicle is Double locked, the doors cannot be opened, either from inside or outside of the vehicle. Press the lock button twice within 3 seconds. Double locking secures the vehicle and prevents the doors and the Luggage compartment from being unlocked or opened from inside or outside of the vehicle, except with the correct Smart Key. The hazard warning lamps will flash twice (with a long second flash) and an audible warning will sound as confirmation. The audible warning can be enabled/ disabled by your Dealer/Authorised Repairer. MISLOCK Note: Operating the interior or exterior door handles while attempting to unlock or lock the vehicle (including Drive-away locking) may cause the security system to ignore any unlock or lock requests. If any of the doors, the bonnet, or the Luggage compartment are not shut fully when the vehicle is locked using the Smart key or by Keyless locking, the vehicle will not lock and 2 warning tones will sound. Check that all of the doors, the bonnet, and the Luggage compartment are closed properly and lock the vehicle again."

I seem to recall reading somewhere on this forum that NAS F-Types don't have double locking, because some obscure US NHTSA regulation forbids it. Something about it being a bad thing that kiddiewinks could get locked in.

The following 2 users liked this post by OzXFR:
Carbuff2 (10-05-2020), Unhingd (10-03-2020)
Old 10-02-2020, 09:57 PM
Awd
Received 79 Likes on 51 Posts

Apart from trying to understand the value of double locking...I’m ok with not understanding.
But...you mentioned proximity alarm.
Is that “standard” or an option ?
Don't think I have that...what should I do to check ?
Thanks

Old 10-03-2020, 04:17 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 1,124 Posts

Originally Posted by 19FRG
not sure tried the window up and down thing and it didnt work for me with double locking checked on the display.
Is double locking a user setting? I know two stage unlocking is, but that's a different thing altogether.

Old 10-03-2020, 07:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
It’s never been clear to me if we have ‘double locking’ in the US. May have to try it again, as I’m currently in the company of 11 other F-types.
Originally Posted by scm
On mine I get no alarm chirp for single locking and a single chirp when double locked. Not sure how else you can tell, apart maybe from leaving a window open and seeing if the alarm sounds when you wave an arm through it!
Originally Posted by OzXFR
Here is what my Owner's Handbook says about single and double locking:
No such instructions in the U.S. owner's manual. Though the double depressing of the fob lock button does temporarily stop the mirror movement, it has no impact on the security measures that are deployed. Conclusion: U.S. models only have one lock/security level.

Old 10-03-2020, 08:06 AM
Veteran Member

While reviewing the manual, I did discover something new. If the door needs to be locked manually, it's not done through the door handle with the emergency key, it's done through the side of the door.

Old 10-03-2020, 08:58 AM
Received 297 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
While reviewing the manual, I did discover something new. If the door needs to be locked manually, it's not done through the door handle with the emergency key, it's done through the side of the door.

But how do you now unlock the door?
Reading this it seems that emergency locking is for when there is no battery power and that in order to use the key by the handle slot the battery must be live .
Confusing.

Old 10-03-2020, 09:38 AM
Veteran Member

You can use the emergency key on the side of the door handle to unlock the vehicle with a dead battery. The problem is that you can’t get to the battery in the boot to jump start the car without power. Hooking up to the terminals under the bonnet often does not provide enough juice to start the engine. The trick is to hook power to the terminals to open the boot, and then hook directly to the battery to jumpstart the engine.

Last edited by Unhingd; 10-03-2020 at 09:43 AM.
Old 10-03-2020, 10:13 AM
Received 297 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
You can use the emergency key on the side of the door handle to unlock the vehicle with a dead battery. The problem is that you can’t get to the battery in the boot to jump start the car without power. Hooking up to the terminals under the bonnet often does not provide enough juice to start the engine. The trick is to hook power to the terminals to open the boot, and then hook directly to the battery to jumpstart the engine.
So are you saying that you can’t lock the car from the door handle side with a dead battery but you can unlock it?
Would make sense.

Old 10-03-2020, 12:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

This is all needlessly confusing, and I am going to blame an American legal system. I know our remote can roll down windows, but not roll them up in case a pup or kiddo is in there. There's got to be so many quiet alterations to cars b/c of different country legal requirements.

Old 10-03-2020, 12:32 PM
scm
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
This is all needlessly confusing, and I am going to blame an American legal system.
The UK legal system mostly treats adults as adults with personal responsibility (Covid-19 notwithstanding). I like that.

Old 10-03-2020, 04:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 478 Likes on 323 Posts
Default Cold in Europe??

Originally Posted by scm
That's because you live in a country that doesn't understand the concept of "cold". I know when winter's on its way in the UK because my vent stops rising. On the the plus side, I know winter's past when it pops up in the spring!

Of course, it is possible to set it (in the settings) to always rise rather than decide for itself (auto setting).
Does it ever get warm enough in Europe to open the A/C vent( a year in Berlin).

Old 10-03-2020, 05:39 PM
scm
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SamtheSham
Does it ever get warm enough in Europe to open the A/C vent( a year in Berlin).
Of course, a couple of months in mid-summer!

Old 10-09-2020, 10:16 AM
Received 151 Likes on 113 Posts

The date formats in the instrument cluster are in American format (MM/DD/YYYY). The date format in the navigation system for the last map update is in European format (DD/MM/YYYY). This caused some confusion until I figured out what was going on.

Old 10-09-2020, 10:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 559 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by cpq100
The date formats in the instrument cluster are in American format (MM/DD/YYYY). The date format in the navigation system for the last map update is in European format (DD/MM/YYYY). This caused some confusion until I figured out what was going on.
I'm fairly confident you can change the date format.

Old 10-09-2020, 12:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TR64ever
I heard the fitted luggage fits great - when it's all empty. The moment you pack something in it....
I was undecided about the convertible or the coupe. Took the wife to the dealer. "Ms Simon" he says, opening the convertible boot "look at this". Wife lectures me on impracticality of convertible car for weekend get-always while dealer-man remotly opens the back of the coupe parked right there. Wife looks at it, "what is this? More practical!" Dealer-man says "it's the coupe." Wife says "You have to buy the coupe" so I did :-)
We just did a 1 week road trip to Canada, had plenty of room despite my filling most of the space in the back with the spare tire I ordered...
Suppose I'm just lucky, my wife is convertible.

Old 10-10-2020, 11:44 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,112 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Originally Posted by Cat-man
Depending on what she converts into, you are indeed lucky.

Old 10-10-2020, 01:28 PM
Received 122 Likes on 69 Posts

In Stage 2 form it's faster on the highway than a stock M5 F90 lol

Old 10-10-2020, 02:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by Cat-man
I read the story to my wife, and she was angry that someone would tell another person what car to buy. LOL But she knows we've accomplished 3 weeks at 4K, and multiple 1 week trips at 1.5K miles, and it's not the problem it appears to be. But it's so funny... I am *NOT* the guy that ever judges other relationship dynamics, etc. My wife is Sicilian tho. lol

The following users liked this post:
walko789 (04-29-2022)
Old 10-16-2020, 12:05 PM
scm
Veteran Member

I've found two ways to stop the engine after remote stsrting (both annoying):

1. Open the boot/trunk without opening the driver's door.
2. Press the brake pedal with the driver's door open. If you press the pedal with the door closed the engine stays on and the car comes to life.

Old 10-16-2020, 01:14 PM
Received 122 Likes on 69 Posts

F-TYPE, Light weight frame and body, heavy everything else

Quick Reply: Name Something You Discovered About Your F-Type AFTER You Bought it...