Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Narrowing down F Type choices

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2020, 10:39 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Narrowing down F Type choices

Hello all,

Long time lurker, first time poster to the forum. I have been searching for a F Type (specifically a Type S RWD) for the past 4-5 weeks daily online, and have a short list of 2015-2017 models that fit my liking and budget. As a data point, I have driven an Infiniti G37 for 3 years, and currently own and will be selling an Infiniti Q60 Red Sport 400 RWD.

What do I need to know, look out for, etc. regarding the model years I am looking at?

Looking forward to sharing photos and findings once i make my purchase later this month!

Old 04-07-2020, 01:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 374 Likes on 280 Posts

My recommendation would be to prioritize your "must haves". i.e.

1. Coupe or Vert
2. RWD or AWD
3. Auto-manual or Manual
4. Interior Color
5. Exterior Color
6. etc...

This will help prioritize how you are seeking cars. For example, I'm able to stomach more variations of exterior colors than I am interior colors. Other than that, there isn't much to look out for that is different than any other car. Interior wear on seats, buttons and other areas where a person will touch. Have a standard inspection done on the car.

The following users liked this post:
FType4Me (04-07-2020)
Old 04-07-2020, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Mahjik
My recommendation would be to prioritize your "must haves". i.e.

1. Coupe or Vert
2. RWD or AWD
3. Auto-manual or Manual
4. Interior Color
5. Exterior Color
6. etc...

This will help prioritize how you are seeking cars. For example, I'm able to stomach more variations of exterior colors than I am interior colors. Other than that, there isn't much to look out for that is different than any other car. Interior wear on seats, buttons and other areas where a person will touch. Have a standard inspection done on the car.
Thanks, see below
1. Coupe
2. RWD
3. Auto-manual
4. Interior Color - Black
5. Exterior Color - Black or White
6. 1 owner car, less than 45k miles

Old 04-07-2020, 01:55 PM
Received 177 Likes on 97 Posts

Vision pack is pretty much a must-have
Your color choices are pretty much the most abundantly available. You'll have to decide if you care about the difference between the sports seats and the performance seats.
2015 examples can be light on options; more stuff was included standard on the S for 2016 and 2017
2016 might still be under factory warranty and service plan depending on in-service date; 2017 will definitely still be covered
2015 has an older infotainment system and instrument cluster display

FType4Me (04-07-2020)
Old 04-07-2020, 02:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 992 Likes on 742 Posts

Other common options:
  • Sports Seats versus Performance Seats ("wingback")
  • Super Performance Brakes
  • Some years had panoramic roof as an option, some it was the only option

FType4Me (04-07-2020)
Old 04-07-2020, 02:24 PM
Received 224 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by FType4Me
Hello all,

Long time lurker, first time poster to the forum. I have been searching for a F Type (specifically a Type S RWD) for the past 4-5 weeks daily online, and have a short list of 2015-2017 models that fit my liking and budget. As a data point, I have driven an Infiniti G37 for 3 years, and currently own and will be selling an Infiniti Q60 Red Sport 400 RWD.

What do I need to know, look out for, etc. regarding the model years I am looking at?

Looking forward to sharing photos and findings once i make my purchase later this month!
Welcome - I am also a long-time Infiniti driver. I went European for about 5 years and got tired of always needing something (even with new cars) so I went back to Japanese. I had literally 2 issues with a total of 5 Fuji cars over about 8 years. I was torn between a Type R and a Gran Turismo Stradale - Went for the F-type over reliability concerns - Imagine that - choosing Jag for reliability, but I also watched the forums and did my homework and I have been very pleased. Like others have and will say, what you get depends on your needs - I like my pizza hot, so 550hp was my minimum requirement. I tried the V6 thinking I could get a great looking ride with plenty of power, but once I heard the sound of the V8 I was done! I have a 2016 AWD R although I live in Indiana so the car is basically furniture for about 4-5 months anyway. As far as features, its always better to get things you need/want and if possible, help resale. I know some people plan to use their F-type as a casket, I realize that I might have a change of heart. Once you narrow in on type and packages, be patient and focus on the maintenance history and carfax (if buying used) and if buying new, don't be afraid to travel for the right deal - assuming you can get across the border.....any border, or drive past dark (My local dealer service is great - sales is ......well, lets just say the service department is great). The forum is very collaborative and insightful. I rarely have a question that I cannot find information on, including options and driving/ownership experiences. Best of luck - stay safe.

FType4Me (04-07-2020)
Old 04-07-2020, 03:00 PM
Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts

if you want RWD that means 2015

Old 04-07-2020, 03:17 PM
Received 70 Likes on 44 Posts

Came from a 2018 Q50 Redsport, loved that car but it was bought back under lemon law, you'll be surprised that the Redsport is actually quicker then my F-type S awd convertible from a roll, but the ZF8 is leaps and bounds better then the Q60's 7spd, sound will also be a nice upgrade, my Redsport had a full exhaust and my stock switchable exhaust is considerably louder under load. My car is a loaded 16, I would definitely find a car with the vision pack as not having a back up camera is not fun in a car like the F-type, I would try and find one with the sport seats as they are much nicer then the base ones in my car, and having full leather is nice. Switchable active exhaust is a great option, a must have for me, especially if you're going to keep it stock. without that option you would need an exhaust in my opinion late 16 models have a updated infotainment, that does not mean its a good one, but the 15 is even worse. I would put aside money for doing a screen retrofit with Carplay if you want a good infotainment system, the redsport infotainment isn't that great either so if you don't mind a late 16 or 17 is okay enough. I 100% reccomend getting the S for the LSD alone, the power can always be upgraded with VAP tune. If in your price range get a cpo car with a warranty, my car has had $80,000 in warranty work done since I bought it 1.5 years ago in a span of 17,000 miles. Also if you can, get a manual with the latest clutch, Car is a lot more fun in stick and will hold its value a lot better in the end. Overall enjoy the experience and good luck on your hunt, keep us updated.

FType4Me (04-07-2020)
Old 04-07-2020, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by uclabrruin1989
if you want RWD that means 2015
Not on a V6 it doesn't

FType4Me (04-07-2020)
Old 04-07-2020, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Lani Kai
Vision pack is pretty much a must-have
Your color choices are pretty much the most abundantly available. You'll have to decide if you care about the difference between the sports seats and the performance seats.
2015 examples can be light on options; more stuff was included standard on the S for 2016 and 2017
2016 might still be under factory warranty and service plan depending on in-service date; 2017 will definitely still be covered
2015 has an older infotainment system and instrument cluster display

After doing more research - the stock infotainment on the '15 vs the '17 makes a difference. Also, prefer sports seats over performance.

Old 04-07-2020, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by StormtrooperFtype
Came from a 2018 Q50 Redsport, loved that car but it was bought back under lemon law, you'll be surprised that the Redsport is actually quicker then my F-type S awd convertible from a roll, but the ZF8 is leaps and bounds better then the Q60's 7spd, sound will also be a nice upgrade, my Redsport had a full exhaust and my stock switchable exhaust is considerably louder under load. My car is a loaded 16, I would definitely find a car with the vision pack as not having a back up camera is not fun in a car like the F-type, I would try and find one with the sport seats as they are much nicer then the base ones in my car, and having full leather is nice. Switchable active exhaust is a great option, a must have for me, especially if you're going to keep it stock. without that option you would need an exhaust in my opinion late 16 models have a updated infotainment, that does not mean its a good one, but the 15 is even worse. I would put aside money for doing a screen retrofit with Carplay if you want a good infotainment system, the redsport infotainment isn't that great either so if you don't mind a late 16 or 17 is okay enough. I 100% reccomend getting the S for the LSD alone, the power can always be upgraded with VAP tune. If in your price range get a cpo car with a warranty, my car has had $80,000 in warranty work done since I bought it 1.5 years ago in a span of 17,000 miles. Also if you can, get a manual with the latest clutch, Car is a lot more fun in stick and will hold its value a lot better in the end. Overall enjoy the experience and good luck on your hunt, keep us updated.
Thanks for the detailed reply. 80K in work in 18 months? I had roughly 22k on my Q60 in total. What did you have done?

Old 04-07-2020, 05:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 895 Posts

After doing more research - the stock infotainment on the '15 vs the '17 makes a difference. Also, prefer sports seats over performance.
Cheers, infotainment was a big issue for me because I didnt like the '15 style stereo. Over here the new setup came in a 16.5MY though I think in the US it is all '16 year. The 16.5 is pretty easy to use and has good sound (better in the Jag sedans, but still pretty good in the coupe). My missus has the newer one in her 2020 XE with the 10 inch screen, she loves 10 inches but I have to say I prefer my 8. I find hers harder to use, especially finding tracks, though the surround sound is awesome. That said, I dont like my chances of convincing my wife that 8 has its advantages over 10.

I would recommend pano roof (nice in winter, makes the cabin feel airy) and the extended leather pack which makes the interior much more expensive looking with leather going over most of the dash. The internal fascia also can make a lot of difference - my strong preference is dark hex, though it is easy enough to wrap or change something you dont like I suppose. I mention that stuff only because some of the cars can look a bit budget inside and some look very luxurious, a few of those things can make a lot of difference to the "wow" factor. For wheels, personally I would take a cheaper car with shitty wheels and put forged ones on as the OEM wheels are made out of lead and the OEM rubber is made out of glass, i.e. I wouldnt pay more for a car with wheels you like. Save to say that if you take off some 19's to put on some forged 20's or 21's you are unlikely to get more than beer money for your old 19's.

FType4Me (04-07-2020)
Old 04-07-2020, 08:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 727 Likes on 500 Posts

2014-2015 RWD in V8S. 2014 no coupe just vert. Real infotainment changes came from 16 on. Not that your going to love the infotainment however. I have a 2011 G37 IPL and have driven the Q60 as well. The Ftype in either the 6 or the 8 is a far more fun vehicle to drive that the G or Q. The Qs nav is better but that’s what phones are for. The handling of the Ftype is better and the noise makes even my IPL sound like a go cart. I do agree with the others on really examining the service history and especially any of the service fixes to the software that controls the overruns which help produce the beautiful noise. Many of us stopped them from doing that particular update once it was know to take away a lot of the pops and crackles. They subsequently did another upgrade that was supposed to restore them somewhat but I’ve read mixed results on that. There are a few recalls for the fuel fill tube fix but not a lot of major recalls. I’ve got 45k on my 2014 and thankfully so far nothing significant in terms of fixes. The other item to look for is whether the center vent, which rises had to be fixed yet. When the car hits about the 4-5 year mark sometimes this is a repair that need to be done so it keeps rising properly. Try to make sure it’s done under warranty.

Old 04-08-2020, 06:59 PM
Banned
Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

Hello all,

I would wait 6 months, prices are in freefall on all cars. The cheapest F-Type on autotrader is already down to $12,900. Thats going to look high by 2021.

FType4Me (04-09-2020)
Old 04-08-2020, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by RacerX
I would wait 6 months, prices are in freefall on all cars. The cheapest F-Type on autotrader is already down to $12,900. Thats going to look high by 2021.
there is obvious downward pressure on prices, and retailers may and likely will take a loss on items, including cars, but there will not be a glut of 2017/18 f-types for $10k. I realize that what you pay for something has no impact on what it’s worth, but There will be enough value buyers, insulated from the economic downturn to stop prices from falling to ridiculous levels. Again, not saying there won’t be deals for the savvy buyer to take advantage of a desperate seller, but just like currency, the floor is always well above zero. Now, if this turns into a full-on walking dead scenario, my Econ lesson won’t hold water - economics assumes “rational” behavior - brain-eating zombies are not know for rationality.

Last edited by gg2684; 04-08-2020 at 07:29 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by gg2684:
FType4Me (04-09-2020), stell4r (09-24-2020)
Old 04-08-2020, 07:22 PM

Based on the VIN of that listing on Autotrader it's this car, which I'd hardly say is representative of the market price for F-Types in general

Old 04-08-2020, 07:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Lani Kai
Based on the VIN of that listing on Autotrader it's this car, which I'd hardly say is representative of the market price for F-Types in general

I said it is the current cheapest F-Type in the US, so obviously it is not perfection.

There are a lot of Fs on autotrader and autotempest still asking between $20-25K. This is price discovery, a time with all asks and no bids. Without bids, no one knows what cars are worth right now.

The important thing to understand is that we are now in a multi-year deflation like nothing we have on record to compare. If anyone thinks the first two weeks of the greatest global depression the world has experienced is a great time to buy, it isn't.

And the bubble has nothing to do with the pin. The bubble burst in Sep 2019 when 70% of pension funds failed (meaning their corporate debt holdings were downgraded below investment grade and had to be sold all at once into a frozen bond market - meaning all asks, no bids) and the Fed printed the first trillion, which was gobbled up and spit out without a burp. Two weeks ago they printed another $6.5T. No change. In fact, in terms of PE ratio, stocks are 2x as expensive today as they were at Dow 29,500.

Assuming many Dow components have earnings at all. Its hard to imagine not running a loss with Morgan Stanley forecasting a 42% contraction of US GDP this quarter. So the PE for most is infinite/undefined. I noticed that Boeing is now smaller than Starbucks. GM is the size of Lulu Lemon.

Last edited by RacerX; 04-08-2020 at 08:14 PM.
Old 04-08-2020, 08:05 PM

I said it is the current cheapest F-Type in the US, so obviously it is not perfection.

There are a lot of Fs on autotrader and autotempest still asking between $20-25K. This is price discovery, a time with all asks and no bids. Without bids, no one knows what cars are worth right now.

The important thing to understand is that we are now in a multi-year deflation like nothing we have on record to compare. If anyone thinks the first two weeks of the greatest global depression the world has experienced is a great time to buy, it isn't.

And the bubble has nothing to do with the pin. The bubble burst in Sep 2019 when 70% of pension funds failed and the Fed printed the first trillion, which was gobbled up and spit out without a burp. Two weeks ago they printed another $6.5T. No change. In fact, in terms of PE ratio, stocks are 2x as expensive today as they were at Dow 29,500.

Assuming many Dow components have earnings at all. Its hard to imagine not running a loss with Morgan Stanley forecasting a 42% contraction of US GDP this quarter. So the PE for most is infinite/undefined. I noticed that Boeing is now smaller than Starbucks. GM is now the size Lulu Lemon.
That is not an economic phenomenon - GM makes rolling turds - lulu lemon makes some
bomb-*** workout gear.

and while there will be many people “forecasting” outcomes it’s important to remember Mr. Friedman’s wise words; in summary: animal of unknown origin - a dense fog - weapon of questionable accuracy......

Also, there will be winners and losers. Some will claim genius but the bottom line is that there are way too many factors to accurately predict and take advantage of financial markets in the long-run. By the time the correct strategy is clear, it’s too late to do anything.

Last edited by gg2684; 04-08-2020 at 08:16 PM.
Lani Kai (04-08-2020)
Old 04-08-2020, 08:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by gg2684
That is not an economic phenomenon - GM makes rolling turds - lulu lemon makes some
bomb-*** workout gear.

and while there will be many people “forecasting” outcomes it’s important to remember Mr. Friedman’s wise words; in summary: animal of unknown origin - a dense fog - weapon of questionable accuracy......

Also, there will be winners and losers. Some will claim genius but the bottom line is that there are way too many factors to accurately predict and take advantage of financial markets in the long-run. By the time the correct strategy is clear, it’s too late to do anything.
It's only too late if you choose to make it too late. I switched my portfolio to short at the beginning of 2020 as the biggest no-brainer of all time.

Point being... not the time to buy anything of value IMO. ~2023 will be ideal.

Last edited by RacerX; 04-08-2020 at 08:31 PM.
Old 04-08-2020, 08:30 PM

It's only too late if you choose to make it too late. I switched my portfolio to short at the beginning of 2020 as the biggest no-brainer of all time.

Fair enough, but if I, or anyone else was smart enough to make all the “correct” plays, they would likely be spending their Wednesday evening quarantined in a room full of supermodels and not on the f-type forums.and if anyone responds: “who said I’m not in a room
full of supermodels?” - I say: “post a photo or it didn’t happen”.

Last edited by gg2684; 04-08-2020 at 08:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Narrowing down F Type choices