F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Navigation

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2023, 07:41 AM
Received 259 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Carbuff2
Phone apps don't work well when there isn't a phone signal....
You can use phone apps without cellular or wifi.

https://www.komando.com/how-tos/acce...ervice/842970/

And if you screw up and forget, stop someplace with signal (park ranger station, Starbucks) and update.

Old 01-25-2023, 08:19 AM
Received 368 Likes on 236 Posts

I have commented before that my 2021 F Type has never been able to connect to the internet. The navigation system works fine and I generally like it, but without an internet connection I can't get some of the advanced features.
The dealer wanted me to leave the car for a few days while they tore apart the overhead and center consoles and panel behind the seats to try and figure out what the problem is. I declined the repair.
I have WAZE on my Android phone and if I really needed it I could connect using the Android Auto feature through the port in the console. I just haven't tried that yet. I understand that when you do that, the display on the dash will mimic the display on your phone, correct ? When I previously used WAZE in another vehicle I found it too distracting to try and look down at my phone and see what was on the small display.

Old 01-25-2023, 08:36 AM
Received 190 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Dwight Frye
I have commented before that my 2021 F Type has never been able to connect to the internet. The navigation system works fine and I generally like it, but without an internet connection I can't get some of the advanced features.
The dealer wanted me to leave the car for a few days while they tore apart the overhead and center consoles and panel behind the seats to try and figure out what the problem is. I declined the repair.
I have WAZE on my Android phone and if I really needed it I could connect using the Android Auto feature through the port in the console. I just haven't tried that yet. I understand that when you do that, the display on the dash will mimic the display on your phone, correct ? When I previously used WAZE in another vehicle I found it too distracting to try and look down at my phone and see what was on the small display.
Incorrect. AndroidAuto doesn't replicate the screen. Instead it takes over the screen and runs a new GUI with the programs designed to be more driver friendly. Only "approved" Apps are available to run. Give it a try - it's quick!

Last edited by mcphill; 01-25-2023 at 11:26 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Dwight Frye (01-26-2023)
Old 01-25-2023, 10:58 AM
Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by colormegone
Dillweed,
My car has the 8" screen and they just upgraded my 2018 R to 4G. The change was in the modules not the head unit, my car had a few gremlins that the tech was working on and one of them was with the navigation. They were able to give me the modules under warranty because the old modules could not be repaired and are no longer available.
I went to Verizon to add another line for the car and they said they could not do it. I then went to AT&T knowing that is the provider Jaguar uses and I was told the same thing. When AT&T gave you a sim card did you provide an IMEI number for the car? I thought all my provider had to do is provide me with a sim card set up for the IMEI and I could put it in the car and the car would recognize it. Does anybody know if this is correct?
Thanks for the info about the module upgrades. I will be taking my car in sometime soon to make the 4G upgrade. I did the same thing as you - initially, I went to AT&T and they activated my data plan for 20/mo. I had done a bit of research an knew about the IMEI number, so I dug that out of the head unit and took it with me to the AT&T store. They gave me a mini SIM card -- the same size as the center console SIM card - and told me to take out the old SIM card and replace it with the new ATT SIM card. It didn't work, so we had to involve AT&T troubleshooting and InControl techs. After a lot of time, it was discovered that they can only use the original SIM card that came with the car to activate the service. The IMEI number has not been needed or asked for by any of the techs at this point in my unfinished transaction.. DO NOT DISCARD YOUR ORIGINAL SIM CARD or Jaguar will need to get involved to issue you a new SIM. I'll dig up the direct phone number to the AT&T/InControl tech line later today and post it - it will save you some time waiting in an endless phone cue if you need it.

Old 01-25-2023, 12:27 PM
Smile

The direct tech line to ATT / InControl Data Services for your car is 866-595-1222. The techs I spoke with seem very helpful and fairly competent -- YMMV. Good luck

theEIger (01-26-2023)
Old 01-25-2023, 12:50 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,482 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Dillweed
... initially, I went to AT&T and they activated my data plan for 20/mo. I had done a bit of research an knew about the IMEI number, so I dug that out of the head unit and took it with me to the AT&T store. They gave me a mini SIM card -- the same size as the center console SIM card - and told me to take out the old SIM card and replace it with the new ATT SIM card. It didn't work, so we had to involve AT&T troubleshooting and InControl techs. After a lot of time, it was discovered that they can only use the original SIM card that came with the car to activate the service. The IMEI number has not been needed or asked for by any of the techs at this point in my unfinished transaction.. DO NOT DISCARD YOUR ORIGINAL SIM CARD or Jaguar will need to get involved to issue you a new SIM.
In the UK we can use any provider's SIM card in the cubby slot. Seems the US is a bit more restrictive with its cellular networks?

Old 01-27-2023, 04:38 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Dillweed,
Thanks for the AT&T phone number. I gave them a call and the tech said I need the IMEI and the MAC number. I went to the Connectivity screen and then to About and all that is displayed is the IMEI number no MAC so I have a call into the service dept at my local JLR dealer.
I did a google search and there are some people having or have had the same issue.

Old 01-27-2023, 07:03 PM

Dillweed,
Thanks for the AT&T phone number. I gave them a call and the tech said I need the IMEI and the MAC number. I went to the Connectivity screen and then to About and all that is displayed is the IMEI number no MAC so I have a call into the service dept at my local JLR dealer.
I did a google search and there are some people having or have had the same issue.
CMG:
I'm glad you were able to speak with the tech dept at ATT about the issue. Funny -- nobody from ATT ever mentioned needing the IMEI number when I spoke with them, and this is the first time I'm hearing about an MAC number. Do you know if the MAC number is unique to each subscriber or is the same MAC number used universally by every ATT subscriber?

Additionally, I called the local Jaguar service earlier this week to try to make an appointment to bring my car in to have the head unit updated to 4G .... the service writer I spoke to asked "why do you want wireless anyway"?, which I thought was an unusual question. He told me he would have to research the repair/updating remedy and would call back..... of course, I never heard back from him, so I drove down to the dealership today and spoke with a different service writer to make an appointment. After describing my issue to him, he asked me "why do you want wireless service anyway?" ..... jeeeez. SMH .....

Old 01-28-2023, 01:13 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,482 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Do you know if the MAC number is unique to each subscriber or is the same MAC number used universally by every ATT subscriber?
I think the MAC address is unique to the device - it's the address of the hardware. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC_address

Last edited by scm; 01-28-2023 at 02:03 PM.
Dillweed (01-28-2023)
Old 02-15-2023, 12:49 PM

Update on my case:
The car was taken into the local Jaguar dealer last week. They had to order a new telematic module to get the 4G working. 6 days later, parts were received, installed, and then I was informed that Jag was having a problem with the SIM card. After working on the issue a bit more, Jag has advised me that they are done with work on their end and I must contact ATT to have my data account reset before anything will work.
I contacted ATT for the reset, and they are now requesting the ICC ID# and the IMEI# before a reset can be done. I'm currently waiting on a call back from the Jag dealer with those numbers, then will contact ATT again ..... hopefully for the final time. The saga continues, but I am hopeful that we are near a successful ending

Old 02-15-2023, 04:37 PM
Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Update on my case:
The car was taken into the local Jaguar dealer last week. They had to order a new telematic module to get the 4G working. 6 days later, parts were received, installed, and then I was informed that Jag was having a problem with the SIM card. After working on the issue a bit more, Jag has advised me that they are done with work on their end and I must contact ATT to have my data account reset before anything will work.
I contacted ATT for the reset, and they are now requesting the ICC ID# and the IMEI# before a reset can be done. I'm currently waiting on a call back from the Jag dealer with those numbers, then will contact ATT again ..... hopefully for the final time. The saga continues, but I am hopeful that we are near a successful ending
At which point you will get a notification that 4G is being phased out and you need to upgrade to 5G.

Old 02-16-2023, 06:15 PM
Talking

Originally Posted by Jay_Davis
At which point you will get a notification that 4G is being phased out and you need to upgrade to 5G.
Well ..... I'm quite aware that nothing lasts forever, but for now everything seems to be working as it should. Best of all, the factory warranty on the car expires in a few weeks and I was able to get all the parts/labor used in the update at no cost as part of the warranty.

Old 02-17-2023, 03:52 PM

Dillweed, I still do not have the MAC# that AT&T wants, IMEI # can be found under ABOUT in the CONNECTIVITY screen. I called my local JLR dealer and the service manager said to remove the simm card overnight and then start the car wait a few minutes and reinsert the simm card. Did not work, still no MAC#. I have one more year left on the factory warranty to get this resolved. The car is in storage for now, so out of sight out of mind, but I did want to get this taken care of before the weather gets nice, because I would rather be driving the car than have it in the shop for this repair. Also plan on going on long trips with the car which is the reason for the Navigation to begin with.

Check that your mobile data is on, when the tech changed the module he did not set anything up in my vehicle. You may have to go in and set up the system how you want it. The Incontrol app has a owners manual in it that will walk you through the process.

Old 02-18-2023, 12:29 AM

Dillweed, I still do not have the MAC# that AT&T wants, IMEI # can be found under ABOUT in the CONNECTIVITY screen. I called my local JLR dealer and the service manager said to remove the simm card overnight and then start the car wait a few minutes and reinsert the simm card. Did not work, still no MAC#. I have one more year left on the factory warranty to get this resolved. The car is in storage for now, so out of sight out of mind, but I did want to get this taken care of before the weather gets nice, because I would rather be driving the car than have it in the shop for this repair. Also plan on going on long trips with the car which is the reason for the Navigation to begin with.

Check that your mobile data is on, when the tech changed the module he did not set anything up in my vehicle. You may have to go in and set up the system how you want it. The Incontrol app has a owners manual in it that will walk you through the process.
CMG: Thanks for the mobile data tip -- I appreciate that. I think you and I have been running on the same hamster wheel trying to get our data services working ...... after 5 or 6 phone calls to ATT / InControl tech support, the only 2 things they asked me for was the IMEI number and the ICCID number --the ICCID number is the number on your SIM card (if you are in the US, it should begin with the digits 8901 ......) they made no mention of an MAC number and never asked me for that.

Old 02-18-2023, 07:00 AM
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

I bought my MY20 used and the previous owner didn’t delete ANYTHING associated with the car. My local Jaguar dealer was able to get the previous owner data and accounts deleted. I was able to use all the features as if I were the original owner. I have a decent dealer, but like all of them they do tend to treat us like an ATM when we come in for service, up selling and such. Still, the factory dealer can be a positive resource at times.

Old 02-18-2023, 12:46 PM

My local dealer did fix the issues with the car and upgraded the car to 4G under warranty which I am grateful. The previous owners info was deleted from the car when I bought it. I think I am at the point where the dealer has done what they can do and all of the functions of the vehicle perform except the enhanced features which requires a data connection. I did purchase the Incontrol subscription for one year to see how much I will use it now that the car functions properly.
I did drive the car today since the roads are clear of salt and the temps are in the high 30s low 40s, the navigation has the latest maps and the way the navigation wanted to take me to my destination was not even close to the best route, at this point I don't know if it is worth pursuing this any further since there are multiple options as has been already stated.

NewLester de Rocin (02-22-2023)
Old 02-22-2023, 02:08 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it always takes me where I want to go with a minimum of fuss or detours. I also have mine set to use live data and it never seems to use very much, I have a 10GB SIM.

Last edited by ermandadana; 02-22-2023 at 10:13 AM.
scm (02-22-2023)
Old 02-22-2023, 11:05 AM
Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

Colormegone, you have activated what I would call the broadest, most dynamic thread of SatNav versus Phone that I ever recall seeing! Wow! As an owner of a 2017 model, BASE InControl Touch, NOT the ICT Pro,... I am so relieved to find that connections and subscriptions on the 2017 Base models appear SO MUCH less elaborate than the 2018 through 2021 Pro models discussed here. JEEEZ, did SatNav and subscription accounts need to stiff us with THAT many separate steps and payments?

I'm familiar with phone-based navigation apps, rental-car partnered Nav apps like NeverLost, and with JLR's own SatNav (whose name from the '17/18 models I can't remember).

I am a fan of the default SatNav in the Jaguar. It was distinctly different from what Land Rover used in their vehicles. Where a Land Rover's maps and menu options focused on "elegance and simplicity", the Jaguar's maps and menu options were so granular and plump with visual data, it was practically "URBAN" with lots of customization features.
SOME drivers don't like that the SatNav won't seem super helpful to you in default state, until you've spent X-amount of time learning what the menu options do, and how to tailor them for your purpose. And there were never any rigid instructions given to us owners about that---we had to learn on the fly, so to speak---it really should have come with an online user-manual at least.
Some drivers DO like that granular "tailor my SatNav to work MY way" experience, and if you're one of those drivers, the Jaguar SatNat is your Nicky Grist with a girlish voice.
I commute in a gritty urban arena where any guided route your start off with gets so blocked so soon, it's a blessing that the map is colored so vividly, and street tagged so readably, and the guidance is so quickly willing to update and get you OFF your current route and onto some billy back street if it's estimated to be faster than staying on your current expressway. Any phone app I need to glance at for longer than 2 seconds will be a suicide rap in my city. Waze, nor other Nav devices can't beat the visual boldness, clarity, and FEEL of the InControl screen map that tells you you're in a busy city thoroughfare, your commute's a mess--so just pay close attention to Nicky, he's going to slip you through this mess like butter."

But we all have to keep a few factors in mind:
--Phones are not just your information source, they are your comfort, like an addict to his cocaine. No matter how helpful a SatNav may be, if you're a phone-addict, your phone app will always give you your "better experience" than spending time away from the phone to pay attention to a car nav.
--Your SatNav, just like your phone app, is only as good as its LIVE knowledge, when it comes to getting around traffic. And LIVE with SatNav is really just data provided to your car by a regional traffic information service. It's got nothing to do with Jaguar, and that information service varies from county and country.
Here in New York State, it's called the TMC, our public taxes pay for this service feed, and once linked, I can sit in my car and be verbally briefed about a disabled car 12 miles away from my route, or be notified about a police incident and construction closing off two lanes on my route 3 miles ahead, just before I'm automatically rerouted to a better road. It's THAT informative.
Someone living in Florida might not get that same detail of traffic information sent to their Jaguar (different region, different taxes paying for different city services),... someone living in Brisbane or Ulapool may not get such traffic service feeds at all, so their SatNav experience will be less amazing.

--As the newer models cam out, it SEEMS as though the Jaguar SatNav became less option-laden, and less vivid in the screen layout and info====maybe that's Jaguar's fault for not providing an explanation for what all those cool menu options can do---it took me a few YEARS to figure out how much I can pre-program my guidance to "guide-n-decide" the relevance of the next traffic event for me as each new one happens in realtime.
Could Waze or Neverlost do that granular a level of guidance for me? No.
But does it come at the cost of sitting and setting up the Nav to make it "NewLester's Nav system"? Yes. The more traffic-dynamic your part of the world is where you drive, the more essential it is for your Jag SatNav to be LIVE, and for the LIVE to be supplied with robust information (something some regions of the world unfortunately can't provide as robustly as you need).

Last edited by NewLester de Rocin; 02-22-2023 at 11:12 AM.