F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Navigation update

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 06:31 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Navigation update

I have a 2014 F Type and have found the navigation is missing quite a bit. Streets and POI, like state parks. I've been to navigation.com and they have an update for $199 but I have no way of knowing if I will gain anything from this. I've searched the Nav section on the car and do see where it shows the current version.
Does anyone know where to find the version info and/or if there are any updates available to the stock loaded maps?
Thanks all.

The following users liked this post:
shift (11-24-2014)
Old 11-24-2014, 12:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

Sorry, can't help, but thanks for letting me know about navigation.com. Very curious if anybody ends up trying this. I don't use the nav much but nice to know it can be updated.

Old 11-24-2014, 01:31 AM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

Navigation.com is run by NAVTEQ -a well known GPS mapping company - are they the original providers of maps in the Jag navigation system?

If so, its entirely possible that Jaguar may have a map update agreement with them, in which case the dealer may have more info. Updates might be free for a period...

My $150 Garmin GPS came with lifetime map updates for free, your 80-100K F Type might as well....

Old 11-24-2014, 01:51 AM
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

The VW GTI came with 3 years of free upgrades.

Old 11-24-2014, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by mshedden
Navigation.com is run by NAVTEQ -a well known GPS mapping company - are they the original providers of maps in the Jag navigation system?

If so, its entirely possible that Jaguar may have a map update agreement with them, in which case the dealer may have more info. Updates might be free for a period...

My $150 Garmin GPS came with lifetime map updates for free, your 80-100K F Type might as well....
The Garmin for my other car gets free updates as well.
Updates are $199 through the dealer because it is a HDD, so he said.. When I picked up the car I inquired but never hurts to ask someone else.
Thanks

Old 11-24-2014, 08:06 AM
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Waze on the Iphone/android will play through your Bluetooth if you use Pandora or tunes- its the best active current nav system Ive seen- and Im using NY and Dallas as my templates

Old 11-24-2014, 08:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by plmmd
Waze on the Iphone/android will play through your Bluetooth if you use Pandora or tunes- its the best active current nav system Ive seen- and Im using NY and Dallas as my templates
+1 on Waze. In a major urban area, it is invaluable because it reliably picks the shortest route to avoid accidents jams and gridlock based upon volume. There are probably 100,000 users and traffic reports from the users are almost instant.

It's a free app, and no worries about updates.

Last edited by Foosh; 11-24-2014 at 08:45 AM.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:10 AM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts

If you go the route of purchasing an update from navigation.com, here's a couple things to consider:

1. Maps are updated once a year, usually late Jan/early Feb. Since this is just around the corner, I would wait a couple months for the 2015 version

2. I purchased an update directly from Navteq last year for my x351. I was never able to get the update to work. A few others on this board had difficulty applying the update, yet others had no issues. I ended up taking the car to my dealer but no luck there either. They sell the updates also (provided by Navteq) but since my license key was not issued by their system, they couldn't troubleshoot it. The only recourse was to buy *another* license update directly from the dealer, which I declined.

3. Updates are provided on a USB stick and the activation code is tied to your VIN, so you can't re-sell the update to someone else. This was common when updates were provided by DVD - people would pool their money, buy one copy, then burn multiple copies of the DVD to share.

In short, if you want to update your nav, I recommend purchasing it directly from your dealer. It's the same price yet if anything goes wrong, you aren't stuck with a useless update.

Last edited by another_geek; 11-24-2014 at 09:17 AM.
ldmack3 (11-24-2014)
Old 11-24-2014, 12:38 PM
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Do you have Incontrol apps installed? That comes with a navigation package app that might be more up to date.

ldmack3 (11-24-2014)
Old 11-24-2014, 01:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by plmmd
DFW and NY? Ouch.

plmmd (11-24-2014)
Old 11-24-2014, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by another_geek
If you go the route of purchasing an update from navigation.com, here's a couple things to consider:

1. Maps are updated once a year, usually late Jan/early Feb. Since this is just around the corner, I would wait a couple months for the 2015 version

2. I purchased an update directly from Navteq last year for my x351. I was never able to get the update to work. A few others on this board had difficulty applying the update, yet others had no issues. I ended up taking the car to my dealer but no luck there either. They sell the updates also (provided by Navteq) but since my license key was not issued by their system, they couldn't troubleshoot it. The only recourse was to buy *another* license update directly from the dealer, which I declined.

3. Updates are provided on a USB stick and the activation code is tied to your VIN, so you can't re-sell the update to someone else. This was common when updates were provided by DVD - people would pool their money, buy one copy, then burn multiple copies of the DVD to share.

In short, if you want to update your nav, I recommend purchasing it directly from your dealer. It's the same price yet if anything goes wrong, you aren't stuck with a useless update.
Great info. Thanks very much.

Old 11-26-2014, 06:44 PM
cjp
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Map update

Originally Posted by ldmack3
I have a 2014 F Type and have found the navigation is missing quite a bit. Streets and POI, like state parks. I've been to navigation.com and they have an update for $199 but I have no way of knowing if I will gain anything from this. I've searched the Nav section on the car and do see where it shows the current version.
Does anyone know where to find the version info and/or if there are any updates available to the stock loaded maps?
Thanks all.
I asked the dealer when mine went in for its first service late in September and was told they only do updates every other year, and that there was nothing more up to date than the installed maps.

ldmack3 (11-26-2014)
Old 11-27-2014, 02:59 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have InControl and downloaded the Sygic navigation app which cost around £50. It presents on the main display reasonably well but cuts out if there is a phone call which is really annoying as sods law is you get a call just when you need the navigation. The app requires a further in app purchase to get the traffic updates, so as it's no bloody use when the phone rings I've gone back to using the Jag system.

Old 11-28-2014, 06:52 AM

I just received an email back from navigation.com. They said the 2015 update is available. Did not get an answer how to tell if you already have it. Since I took delivery in October it may already be installed.