F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 10:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice

Looking to buy an F type. Would appreciate inputs of your experience, issues with this car, models to avoid and packages to get.

Old 04-08-2016, 10:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Vision package is must-have on coupe as it has bad blind spots.

Early build manual transmissions have weak clutch, avoid unless you are willing to deal with a dealership to have it upgraded to revised parts. There is no recall for this as of yet.

You should expect to get at least 15% off MSRP on 2016 models.

Old 04-08-2016, 11:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

It is hard to make much in the way of recommendations without knowing your usage and budget. SinF hit on a couple common complaints.

S vs. base: advantages both ways. Same goes for V8 vs. V6, AWD vs. 2WD, auto vs. manual, roadster vs. coupe etc. etc. ....alot of choices but not a lot of black and white answers.

For me, my fully loaded 2014 CPO V8S was the car I wanted at a very attractive price.

Dave

Old 04-08-2016, 11:49 AM
Received 176 Likes on 132 Posts

I have a fully loaded V8S CPO as well. The Vision package is a must have on the vert as well due to the massive blind spots. Mine is RWD and I'm fine with it. Judicious use of the go pedal is needed in wet weather and cold temps until you get rolling. After that, it's really personal preference. Personally, I wouldn't have a coupe, not because it's a bad car or anything, it's just that I like drop tops as my DD. A 6 cylinder is probably more economical to operate, but I came from an SLK 55 AMG with similar power to the Jag 6's. I wanted more scoot and better throttle response.

Old 04-08-2016, 04:44 PM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

My advice is to buy a 1 year old used one.

Old 04-08-2016, 05:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Choices to consider first:

Convertible or coupe
RWD or AWD (Will impact year)
Manual or auto (will impact engine choice)

Old 04-08-2016, 06:20 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Reconsider and look at a Porsche Cayman or Corvette, maybe even an M4. Chevrolet and Porsche are going to treat you better. BMW might, but it won't be worse.

Old 04-08-2016, 08:43 PM
Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

well, the f-type is a real head-turner (if that matters), so i'm assuming you already know that and it is part of the attraction.

if you are ok paying the $, the R is an absolute beast and will permanently put a smile on your face. i've had mine a year and the thrill has still not left.

Old 04-08-2016, 09:21 PM
Received 123 Likes on 79 Posts

Good advice, from all. I'm a long time Jaguar owner; have had 30-40 of them over the years. One of those was a Series 1 E-type coupe (1967). To me, that car hit a sweet spot. Perfect lines and curves, the improved synchronised gearbox, 4.2 liter engine, 3 carbs, covered headlights and toggle switches on the dash. Anyway, when I saw the first F-type, I knew that Jaguar had finally made a real successor to the E-type; a modern version, hitting all the same buttons. I just wasn't sure about the convertible (I already have an LBC roadster). So, then along comes the coupe. Wow, perfect lines and curves; what a well-styled car! Way to go, Ian Callum. I said in 2015, "If they only had a MT option!" Well, sure enough, for MY 2016, a manual. But only with the V-6. The V-8 torque would destroy that gearbox in a New York minute.
So I drove them. Love the V-8, but didn't really need all that power; not ever gonna track the car and I'm well past the age where I'm compensating for my "manly deficiencies." LOL
Paddle shifters are cool enough, but I wanted the feel of the third pedal and more involvement in driving. Besides, it's not my DD, so not worried about wearing out my left calf.
I went with the S model to get the extra goodies: increased HP and torque, LSD, more input in the dynamic mode, bigger brakes. Basically, I got the most engine I could with the MT. It really does have that same feeling I got from the E-type, just modernised. I added the vision pack, wanted red leather seats, so got the extended leather package and performance seats which was required to get red leather. I love it; wouldn't change a thing. IMO, the V-6 S is the perfectly balanced car.
And hey, this is a Jaguar forum... don't get no Porsche or Chevy!! All the best: have fun, man!

The following users liked this post:
SinF (04-08-2016)
Old 04-08-2016, 09:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by MagnumPI
Reconsider and look at a Porsche Cayman or Corvette, maybe even an M4.
I looked at all of these before settling on F-type. If I could fit into new Corvette, I'd probably pick it over F-type. It just a better machine (but not better-looking or better-sounding).

M4, while it is great car, BMW are asking too much for what it is. They can't be serious asking 911 money for one.

Chevrolet and Porsche are going to treat you better.
I know you had rough run with your dealership, but I don't think Chevy dealer would be improvement. Their bread & butter is fixing Impalas and Silverados, not sports cars. Imagine complaining about rattles - they'd probably tell you they checked doors for beer cans left by the assembly workers and found none.

Last edited by SinF; 04-08-2016 at 09:26 PM.
Old 04-08-2016, 09:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Chevrolet dealers are no different than Jaguar dealers. There are very good ones and very bad ones. I always had red carpet, VIP treatment on my Z06.

Old 04-09-2016, 06:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

My Ftype R is my third Jaguar and besides it being a great car, I have not had any problems with any of the three. I've just ordered a fourth, the XE Sport for more of a daily driver and expect it to be just as good/reliable.

Dealer has been excellent.
Lawrence

Old 04-09-2016, 08:13 AM
Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
M4, while it is great car, BMW are asking too much for what it is. They can't be serious asking 911 money for one.
Really?
I love my Type R and came from an M4, but the M3/M4 is a tremendous value IMO.
Where do you come up with 911 money?

Old 04-09-2016, 08:16 AM
Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

While I heartily recommend the F-Type, one other alternative in my opinion is the Maserati Gran Turismo. To me, there is no other car today that is as beautiful on the road as this car. The exterior lines are just stunning. It is so rare to see these on the road, that it will turn just as many heads as a Ferrari or a Lambo....I guarantee it. (Because I used to own one). In addition, the exhaust note is absolutely amazing!......not as loud as the R, but much more exotic sounding (as it should since it's a Ferrari-built V8). The only downsides are that it's not as fast as a R or a V8S and not as sharp in handling (it's heavy), and the interior tech is very dated. Other than that, it's a dream to drive. It's a true GT. The prices on used Maserati GT's are very reasonable and worth a serious look.

My '12 GranCabrio:

Need advice-20160207_142826_resized_1.jpg

Need advice-20160207_142840_resized_1.jpg

Need advice-dsc01893.jpg

If that isn't the sexiest thing on wheels, I don't know what is.

Last edited by psb1013; 04-09-2016 at 08:31 AM.
Old 04-09-2016, 08:41 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Pretty car, no doubt. Its front is at least as good, if not better, than the F-type. But I think the F-type has a better rear.

Old 04-09-2016, 08:46 AM
Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
Pretty car, no doubt. Its front is at least as good, if not better, than the F-type. But I think the F-type has a better rear.

My R's rear is nice, but a little out of proportion in my opinion....and the bottom diffuser looks a little tacky.

Here's the Maseratic MC's rear......AWESOME:

Need advice-mc-stradale.jpg

Need advice-mc-stradale2.jpg

This will be my next car!

Last edited by psb1013; 04-09-2016 at 08:49 AM.
Old 04-09-2016, 10:11 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

I think the black diffusers look much better than the body colored ones. No offense...

Old 04-09-2016, 10:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

All over the map here...OK;

- yeah the corvette is awesome; but I prefer the look, the sound and the interior of the Jag plus there are 100 corvettes in town. Better track car but then, that isn't what I bought mine for.

- M4 was silly expensive.....any options pushed the price into the stratosphere the only one worse was.....

- Porsche; still like the Boxter S (only roadsters for me) but didn't like the silly price when optioned with any decent options or the fact that the dealer wanted $5k OVER MSRP.....no thanks. Also wasn't sure about the turbo 4cyl.

- I've owned over 50 cars....there are good and bad dealers in every marque. Usually the higher end dealers treat you better just because they can afford to and people expect it at a certain price point. A couple people have had some bad experiences and you probably want to take their advice about Jaguar with a grain or two of salt....I've found no evidence that Jaguar quality or customer service is a widespread problem. In fact most complaints of problems on this forum are relatively minor in nature.

- The Maserati is very nice looking. I looked at an AM V8 Vantage, a Maserati GT and the F type. Honestly I think the AM and F type are close and I like elements of both, the Maserati was pretty but the proportions and lines were a bit "off" to me compared to the other two. That's the thing about aesthetics....everyone has a different opinion though I've never heard anyone say an F type isn't good looking.

As far as choosing a car; as I said it depends what you want. For me only the V8 was considered and even if there was a manual, I wanted an auto.....and so far I'm very happy with the ZF....likewise it was roadster only for me though the coupe is VERY attractive.

2 cents,
Dave

Old 04-09-2016, 12:00 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Jaguar is the only auto company I've ever heard of that publicly admits to knowingly releasing a defective product and then derides and belittles their customers for pointing it out. It's one thing to claim ignorance, this is an entirely different level of disgusting.
And it's still new. Who knows what else will go wrong. Not worth the risk at this price point.

Old 04-09-2016, 12:08 PM
Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by MagnumPI
Jaguar is the only auto company I've ever heard of that publicly admits to knowingly releasing a defective product and then derides and belittles their customers for pointing it out. It's one thing to claim ignorance, this is an entirely different level of disgusting.
And it's still new. Who knows what else will go wrong. Not worth the risk at this price point.
Did I miss something?
What's going on with your car--thread?

Quick Reply: Need advice