F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Advice On A F type Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2021, 04:50 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need Advice On A F type Purchase

Looking at possible purchase of a F Type convertible purchase. Budget will keep me in the 2011-2014 year range. Are there any “Issues” with those years that I need to be aware of. Thanks

Old 07-14-2021, 05:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,290 Likes on 889 Posts

Gooday, I think they only came out in mid '13, so that will limit you a little. But also consider a '12 and onward XKR vert. The XKR is more a true GT whereas the F Type is a GT with sportscar leanings, both are excellent cars and reliable. The XKR is more practical and easier to get in and out of, whereas the F Type has much more noise, better steering, much better transmission, and is able to get the power down much better. Both are fantastic to look at, though I would have to say I get far more attention to the F Type that I had to the XKR.

Old 07-14-2021, 07:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Very early F-types may have issues with a water pump, any F-type prior to 2017 would have issues with valley coolant pipes splitting (there is updated part, but requires SC removal) and early F-types would have SC coupler rattle issue.

In general terms, F-types that sit a lot may have issues with high pressure fuel pumps and injectors, especially if fuel gels. If oil changes neglected you may have issues with intake valve sludge. At that age, it is not uncommon to see differential leaking, in most circumstances this can be repaired (or fluid topped off and ignored).

Last but not least, OEM tires, if still on the car are catastrophically bad, considering that you would be looking at RWD models. You need to budget all-around tire replacement away from P Zero tires that provide inadequate traction and make the car unsafe when driven enthusiastically.

Last edited by SinF; 07-14-2021 at 07:46 AM.
Old 07-14-2021, 10:34 AM
Received 88 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
Very early F-types may have issues with a water pump, any F-type prior to 2017 would have issues with valley coolant pipes splitting (there is updated part, but requires SC removal) and early F-types would have SC coupler rattle issue.

In general terms, F-types that sit a lot may have issues with high pressure fuel pumps and injectors, especially if fuel gels. If oil changes neglected you may have issues with intake valve sludge. At that age, it is not uncommon to see differential leaking, in most circumstances this can be repaired (or fluid topped off and ignored).

Last but not least, OEM tires, if still on the car are catastrophically bad, considering that you would be looking at RWD models. You need to budget all-around tire replacement away from P Zero tires that provide inadequate traction and make the car unsafe when driven enthusiastically.
Second the comment of the coolant pipes cracking, happens on the v6 and v8 motors as they use the same parts. If they have not had the resigned coolant pipes installed already and they are not leaking you have a ticking time bomb. Its not a matter of if its when. It involves removing the SC from top of the motor and the dealer will soak you for over 2 grand probably about 500ish in parts to do yourself. No too bad to diy, just need to be a little brave and about 6 hours of your time.

Old 07-15-2021, 04:06 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First I would like to thank everyone that relied to my post. After looking around on this F Type section of this forum and reading your replies looks like there are to many issues with the 13-14 F Type convertibles (and coupes) so I am going too focus my search and purchase to a XK/XKR convertible. thanks for all your help.
Greg in Michigan

Old 07-15-2021, 06:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

Not everyone has all the problems. I did have water pump replaced in year 6 paid for by extended warrarnty. Admittingly I have relatively low mileage, 24,500. Haven't had coupler issue, mileage probably effects this. Had it checked at last oil change. I'm sure all of the first two years had the oxygen sensors replaced as it was a part recall.My vin is 01100 so my car is pretty early.

Old 07-15-2021, 11:59 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

The water pump on my 2010 XKR was replaced at 15,000 miles as it had started leaking. Just for a bit of balance ...

Old 07-15-2021, 01:46 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bjg625
Not everyone has all the problems. I did have water pump replaced in year 6 paid for by extended warrarnty. Admittingly I have relatively low mileage, 24,500. Haven't had coupler issue, mileage probably effects this. Had it checked at last oil change. I'm sure all of the first two years had the oxygen sensors replaced as it was a part recall.My vin is 01100 so my car is pretty early.
Not sure mileage is a factor for the coupler, as I have the rattle, and I have only 11000 miles. i also have the dreaded diff noise and the sticky buttons. other than that, it has been fine........................now I've jinxed it !

Old 07-15-2021, 07:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

Yes - not sure there is as much difference in these issues btw an XK and F Type of similar vintage. All cars suffer from plastic cooling pipe issues as they age. I expect the water pump is the same in the XK (can someone confirm)? I know it's the same issue on F Type, XF and Land Rover vehicles going back to at least 2010.
So I'd suggest starting the search based on what you're most excited about. Then it's about finding the right car in good condition

Old 07-15-2021, 07:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,290 Likes on 889 Posts

Yeah the water pump was an issue after the new 5 litre v8 came out in the XK/XF, I didnt know it continued in the F Type. A lot were replaced under warranty and I think Jag were pretty accepting at the time of the need to replace them.

The XK and the F Type are very different cars but each excellent in their own right. The F Type is definitely more exciting, though I thought the XKR much more of a handful in the wet. In my case I can get much more out of the F Type, maybe you need to be a better driver to drive the XKR hard.

Old 07-16-2021, 09:15 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by magredvet
Not sure mileage is a factor for the coupler, as I have the rattle, and I have only 11000 miles. i also have the dreaded diff noise and the sticky buttons. other than that, it has been fine........................now I've jinxed it !
Knew I'd jinx it...................went out yesterday and my convertible top has ceased to work !