F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need advice on which service department to use in the San Francisco Bay area

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2020, 11:17 AM
mws
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default need advice on which service department to use in the San Francisco Bay area

Hi guys. The 2016 super low miles F type R that I bought last week, appears to have the gasoline to filler tube problem that is covered by a service bulletin. I can’t pump gas any faster than say.... 1/10 gallon for every few seconds,

The closest JLR service department is jaguar of Stevens Creek. In yelp the service Dept alone, have one star reviews. Where do you local Bay Area people go to get your car serviced? Any help is appreciated

can do Monterey up to the west peninsula and maybe Livermore,

Old 09-02-2020, 12:52 PM
Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

I had mine fix at Livermore Jaguar. But any Jaguar dear should be able to fix it under warranty easily. I can't believe the previous owner has had it fixed by now, but it does seem to be gas station dependent.

Good Luck,

Old 09-02-2020, 01:14 PM
mws

The car only had 3600 miles on it when I bought it. Last week. It’s a 2016. Obviously the guy never Paid any attention to it.

What I’m really looking for is a service department in the Peninsula Bay area that doesn’t suck. On yelp all of them seem to have some horrible reviews.

I can make it to Livermore. How do you like the service department there? Are they attentive? or jerks?

Old 09-02-2020, 01:24 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm in the Bay Area and I go to SF Jaguar (closer). I got my car at Stevens Creek and they are wonderful. SF Jag took a couple of times but the current service manager is very good and caring. Also I had the problem with pumping gas, and found that going to a different station solved it. I thought it was an issue with the station, not my car.

Old 09-02-2020, 01:49 PM
mws

Thanks for the feedback on the dealerships. So are you saying that you literally never got the gas fill tube problem fixed? You just went to a different station?

I’ve never had this problem with any other car I’ve owned.

Old 09-02-2020, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by mws
Thanks for the feedback on the dealerships. So are you saying that you literally never got the gas fill tube problem fixed? You just went to a different station?

I’ve never had this problem with any other car I’ve owned.
Ya thats right, never got it fixed. It actually turned out for the better because 2 mins away was a cheaper station that it alot nicer and roomy. Haven't had that problem at other stations period.

Old 09-02-2020, 05:46 PM
Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

I would still get it fixed. When you are traveling and pull into the wrong filling station it can be maddening to fill up. Plus the dealers will fix it under warranty.
I have never had a problem with Livermore Jaguar but then I have only had to do routine service, no major warranty work. They can be a little slow at times though. I haven't been any where else to compare, that's where I bought the car.

Old 09-02-2020, 06:27 PM
Received 77 Likes on 49 Posts

I had mine “fixed” at Jaguar SF. They’re... fine. I feel like your experience will depend on the person, the day of week, what they had for breakfast...

I say “fixed” because the problem still happens occasionally.

@mws is your R white, and do you park around the mission?

Old 09-02-2020, 06:59 PM
mws
Smile

Originally Posted by fuzzysquid
I had mine “fixed” at Jaguar SF. They’re... fine. I feel like your experience will depend on the person, the day of week, what they had for breakfast...

I say “fixed” because the problem still happens occasionally.

@mws is your R white, and do you park around the mission?

ah, no! :-). I am down in San Martin, near Morgan Hill and Gilroy. (south of Silicon Valley for those who are not familiar) Mine is Firenze red. I did the 35-mile commute from there to Apple-- off and on-- since 1987. Nice to finally be retired.

Old 09-06-2020, 09:15 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I’ve been pleased with Cole European in Walnut Creek. This is my second Jag and they have been excellent.

Old 09-07-2020, 08:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 980 Likes on 731 Posts

I too go to Cole European in Walnut Creek and have had excellent service. I'm not sure how much is due to serendipity: I got assigned a Service Advisor and on my first visit it turned out I know him from my motorcycle racing days. I'd heard good things about their service department before then though, so expect that I'm not that special.

I had the filler neck done as soon as I'd heard about it, probably in the first six months of ownership. It made a big difference for me.

Old 09-08-2020, 12:47 PM
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Forget the dealer. Go to Exlusive British European in Campbell. Tell them Stefano sent you.

Old 09-08-2020, 01:26 PM
mws

Originally Posted by OnlySlightlyEvil
Forget the dealer. Go to Exlusive British European in Campbell. Tell them Stefano sent you.
That is a great tip, for an indy shop.Thanks! That would have been my next question once the car is out of warranty, or for non-warranty service needs
But they cannot do the gas tube as a Jag warranty, can they?

Old 10-25-2020, 10:02 PM
mws

So, I went to JLR Stevens Creek in San Jose, and had Adrian Sadler as a service rep. Great guy. Thanks for everyone's encouragement and advice.

He said they replaced the gas filler tube. They must have done something, because they kept it 3 days longer than they estimated. I went to try to find the particular pump I used to cause the problem to test it. I went to that station, but am not sure I had the exact pump. The pump itself was kind of trickling the gas out slowly anyway.

Also, with a 2016 car and only 4020 miles on it, the battery would not stay charged enough to do Auto Stop for Economy mode (car sat around too much). So, they replaced the battery for free. Not bad!

By the end of the month, the car will be out of warranty. I'll be looking for good Indy shops in case something Jag-specific comes up. I'll checkout your shop, Stefano, thanks!

But... down here in Morgan Hill, CA. I actually have a great general auto mechanic shop I trust with my BMWs, for basic stuff I don't feel like doing like: brakes, radiators, etc. They even replaced the rod bearings on my M6--by dropping the oil pan. (known issue with them--you do it preemptively before they fail) and then I installed a supercharger on it, myself.

Last edited by mws; 10-25-2020 at 10:06 PM.
Old 10-26-2020, 12:00 PM

Exclusive British European in Campbell needs to be your new shop. They work on my F-Type. Brilliant people.

Old 10-26-2020, 12:03 PM
Received 77 Likes on 49 Posts

Piggybacking on this to ask: anyone have an independent shop they like in or near SF? My included maintenance runs out next month...

Old 10-26-2020, 12:36 PM

I would drive to this shop in the South Bay and rent a car at the local enterprise. They're that good.

Old 10-26-2020, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by OnlySlightlyEvil
I would drive to this shop in the South Bay and rent a car at the local enterprise. They're that good.
Any idea if they would be good enough to install a VAP upgrade too?

Old 10-26-2020, 01:21 PM
Received 93 Likes on 39 Posts

I had the same problem and had it fixed at Stevens creek jaguar. They rounded my lug nuts, replaced the fender liner incorrectly, routed the the overflow pipe incorrectly and left the rear silencer heat shield bent incorrectly. But apart from that the fix worked.I can now fill my car with no issues.

I have had a lot of other warranty work completed by this dealer with no issues. So I guess it depends which mechanic you get.

Old 10-26-2020, 03:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 980 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by devmen
Any idea if they would be good enough to install a VAP upgrade too?
There are a number of VAP upgrades, but any competent shop should be able to handle any of them.