Sponsored by:

Need advise, what the best paint protection

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 11:31 AM
Banned
Received 130 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Need advise, what the best paint protection

Hi guys,
I have my car now for just about two months. Yesterday when looking over the car, I noticed my first paint chip. It's a super tiny chip located at the front center area of the hood. I asked myself, how did this happen. No chips on the bumper area, only the one chip on the hood. As small as it is, it's an eye sore to me. So I need to take immediate action to protect the car's paint job.
Which procedure is better to stop paint chipping from occuring, doing the Ceramic Pro coating or doing EXPEL type application on the car.
I'm leasing the car. I wish to protect it but I don't want to go ***** to the walls with spendature on a leased car.
Thanks for your input.

Old 09-11-2016, 11:51 AM
Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

As has been said before, XPEL is going to be the best for chip protection. It won't be cheap unless you only do part of the car. like just the hood. Since it is a lease, you could do nothing as chips are normal wear and tear.
Larry

Old 09-11-2016, 12:00 PM
Banned
Default Need to do something ...

Originally Posted by lsbrodsky
As has been said before, XPEL is going to be the best for chip protection. It won't be cheap unless you only do part of the car. like just the hood. Since it is a lease, you could do nothing as chips are normal wear and tear.
Larry
Hi Larry, thanks for the reply. No .. I must do something, because I don't want the car to look like "Shyte" from various chips in the paint. If EXPEL is the way to go, why do some guys choose Ceramic Pro.
You confirmed what I suspected with cost, EXPEL being the more expensive of the two. Can you and anyone else guy some approx prices for good coverage all over the critical areas of the car.
Thank you.

Old 09-11-2016, 12:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 310 Posts

Ceramic pro is great to protect the finish, make it extremely easy to clean, and to an extent protect against rock chips but some will make it though. I've noticed two hit on the hood that would have resulted in rock chips but I was able to remove the mark with a microfiber.

My detailer was very clear about that, but at the same time his car has been driven thousands of highway miles and doesn't have a single chip, but EXPEL is an actual clear bra, so its going to be much stronger against chips.

I just went with Ceramic Pro as a step up from OptiCoat Pro , and the fact it really does a great job protecting the paint finish and offers some chip protection. If you drive a lot of highway miles or just have bad roads XPEL is a great way to go in at least the area more prone to chipping.

Old 09-11-2016, 12:53 PM
Banned
Default Question ....

Originally Posted by MaximA
Ceramic pro is great to protect the finish, make it extremely easy to clean, and to an extent protect against rock chips but some will make it though. I've noticed two hit on the hood that would have resulted in rock chips but I was able to remove the mark with a microfiber.

My detailer was very clear about that, but at the same time his car has been driven thousands of highway miles and doesn't have a single chip, but EXPEL is an actual clear bra, so its going to be much stronger against chips.

I just went with Ceramic Pro as a step up from OptiCoat Pro , and the fact it really does a great job protecting the paint finish and offers some chip protection. If you drive a lot of highway miles or just have bad roads XPEL is a great way to go in at least the area more prone to chipping.
Thanks for your feedback my friend. Can you please provide price point for the two options, Expel and Ceramic Pro cost.
Last, for a lease, which would you guys choose, because I'm definitely going to do one or the other.
My blood pressure was jacked up over the tiny stone chip.

Old 09-11-2016, 01:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

There is no decision to be made if you want rock protection. Ceramic coatings have nothing to offer for that.

Old 09-11-2016, 01:42 PM
Received 176 Likes on 132 Posts

I'm going to be a wise *** here. If you want your car to stay looking perfect, don't drive it. Despite your best efforts you will get a chip or a door ding. The more you drive it, the more chances of getting dings. Just nothing you can do about it. That said, Xpel (or similar) over the entire car at several thousand $ will likely give you the best protection. Maybe 2 layers.

I always buy used so that I don't have the anguish of the first ding nor the feeling of my wallet flying away by the first year depreciation. Both are going to happen.

Old 09-11-2016, 01:47 PM
Banned
Default Oh my goodness ....

Originally Posted by Dogbreath!
I'm going to be a wise *** here. If you want your car to stay looking perfect, don't drive it. Despite your best efforts you will get a chip or a door ding. The more you drive it, the more chances of getting dings. Just nothing you can do about it. That said, Xpel (or similar) over the entire car at several thousand $ will likely give you the best protection. Maybe 2 layers.

I always buy used so that I don't have the anguish of the first ding nor the feeling of my wallet flying away by the first year depreciation. Both are going to happen.
Your saying $2000 to $3000 dollar range to put clear bra film on the critical areas of the car . Wow !!!
Ceramic Pro I believe is in the $1000 dollar range.
Yes ... ?

Old 09-11-2016, 01:57 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ubad2
Your saying $2000 to $3000 dollar range to put clear bra film on the critical areas of the car . Wow !!!
Yes ... ?
Yes but you seem to be missing the critical element that they do not serve the same purpose.

Ceramic coatings are for hydrophobicity and the ease of getting bugs, tar, water marks off. They will not protect against rock chips.

Old 09-11-2016, 01:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 310 Posts

You’re as bad as I am, rock chips drive me insane but I don't want to lose that depth and gloss of the paint after a correction. I'll loose sleep over a chip LOL

The Ceramic Pro requires a full pant correction and details before the car is coated so the cost can vary from 1k-3k depending on the level of protection you want. Keep in mind that covers everything paint, plastic, wheels, glass, calipers, the entire interior. Now it's strong stuff, I was shocked buy some of the videos on the internet. If an object had enough energy to make though the coating and cause a dent it would probably chip, it's not 100% chip protection but is pretty darn good, and the look of the paint is second to none. Plus the ease the easiest car wash possible.

With the clear bras, you get better maybe even guaranteed protection as it also absorbs the energy of the impact as its thicker and . My concern was losing gloss and depth as you can see it if you look. It looks good but it’s also not going to look like a freshly corrected paint finish IMHO. I'm not sure of the price but you could always do combination.

Xpel on the front bumper/hood and ceramic pro the rest of it.

It's really a tradeoff, great finish with good chip protection, or very good chip protection with a slight loss of gloss and depth.

Talk to a professional detail shop, and they should have examples of both on customer cars in the shop. These guys know their stuff when it comes to paint and protection.

We've come a long way in paint protection options in the past couple of years.

Old 09-11-2016, 02:03 PM
Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts

any kind of "glass" sealent will run 2-3k. clear bra for the entire car can be upwards of 4-5k

Old 09-11-2016, 02:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ShaunPA
any kind of "glass" sealent will run 2-3k. clear bra for the entire car can be upwards of 4-5k
Less than $1500 in my area for ceramic. Clear bra $3k

Old 09-11-2016, 02:32 PM
Banned
Default Feelings for this car ...

Originally Posted by Nati
Less than $1500 in my area for ceramic. Clear bra $3k
My feelings for this car surpass my previous car which was a DINAN supercharged M5. I think I love this car! That's why I have to protect it even though it's a leased vehicle.

Old 09-11-2016, 03:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

No matter what you end up doing, don't buy it from a dealer.

Personally, I believe in clear film protection for the front. I always get it done at the workshop I trust. Keep in mind, if you live in a hot climate, like Texas, it will crack and will have to be peeled and re-applied every 5 years or so.

Many years ago I had dealer do this. Not only they charged premium over what it would normally should cost, the ******* that installed it cut it on the actual hood, so when it was re-applied I found cut lines in the paint.... and the dealer wouldn't own up to it.

Old 09-11-2016, 05:11 PM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

an awful lot of unbalanced info being shared here...

Paint Protection Films (PPF) like Xpel Ultimate (NOT EXPEL) or Suntek does exactly as it implies. The layer of protective elastomeric film generally protects the paint against minor road gravel and debris thrown up against your car. You can get a partial hood and front end done for $1500, full hood and full front end done for around $2000, or the entire car for $3500-4500. Short of doing the entire car which most feel a bit unnecessary, you can add surfaces like the rear Rocker Panels and/or Rear Spoiler to the front end and you should expect to spend somewhere between $2000 and $3000. For your concerns on a leased car, the front end options alone should be more than adequate.

Ceramic coatings and the various other formulated coatings are NOT promoted to protect against rock chips! Period! They are designed to bring out more depth in the paint, and increase the gloss level of the paint. Such Coatings also make water sheet of your car, typically making it easier to clean and dry. Depending on the installer or applicator, Ceramic Coatings can go from $1000 to $3000.

While it is quite common to "Film" part of a car, I've never heard of someone "Coating" part of a car.

Both products will protect the paint against contaminates like bug guts and bird droppings, though either should be washed off as soon as possible because if left untouched for a week, they can and will etch both the Film and/or the Coating.

Based on your concern over the unsightly chip smack in the middle of the hood, it will not be your last. The rake and aerodynamics of the F-Type hood seems to be a magnet for rock chips. Paint Protection Film like Xpel Ultimate should be your solution of choice.

Last edited by IronMike; 09-11-2016 at 06:03 PM.
Old 09-11-2016, 06:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by IronMike
For your concerns on a leased car, the front end options alone should be more than adequate.
Do not forget to wrap the entire rocker panel to the front of the rear fender well. My Xpel just in front of the rear tires, after 16k miles, already feels like sand paper. I can only imagine the damage to the paint if that area were not covered. I may have to have the rockers re-covered after 30k miles. The problem may stem from one or more causes:
15mm offset spacers, stickier PSS tires, occasional 100++ mph sorties, or just normal for the F-Type. I only have 2 or 3 miniscule blemishes in the wrap from incoming projectiles on the hood.

Old 09-12-2016, 12:30 AM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Do not forget to wrap the entire rocker panel to the front of the rear fender well. My Xpel just in front of the rear tires, after 16k miles, already feels like sand paper. I can only imagine the damage to the paint if that area were not covered. I may have to have the rockers re-covered after 30k miles. The problem may stem from one or more causes:
15mm offset spacers, stickier PSS tires, occasional 100++ mph sorties, or just normal for the F-Type. I only have 2 or 3 miniscule blemishes in the wrap from incoming projectiles on the hood.
You have commented about this several times.
Must be the spacers!
I have the same area wrapped, and it remains pristine after 19K miles.
I too have PSS tires, I regularly exceed 100 mph, but I have yet to install my spacers.
I do stick to well paved roads... Could that be the difference?

Old 09-12-2016, 07:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I have no spacers and the same issue. It is likely the way our cars driven.

Old 09-12-2016, 01:30 PM
Received 123 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Ubad2
Yes ... ?
Just had the gold package Ceramic Pro put on mine. Lifetime warranty, interior, wheels, calipers. Just a "tune up" once a year to keep warranty in effect. Cost was $1800. Well worth every penny. This stuff is awesome! Shines like crazy, wipe a coffee spill right off the leather, brake dust comes off with water.

Old 09-12-2016, 03:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by IronMike
You have commented about this several times.
Must be the spacers!
I have the same area wrapped, and it remains pristine after 19K miles.
I too have PSS tires, I regularly exceed 100 mph, but I have yet to install my spacers.
I do stick to well paved roads... Could that be the difference?
We have no well paved roads on the East Coast. lol

The spacers could well be the issue.

Quick Reply: Need advise, what the best paint protection