F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need DIY for the Passenger Side B-Pillar rattle

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 11:24 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Need DIY for the Passenger Side B-Pillar rattle

I’ve got an annoying, metal-metal or metal-glass tapping/rattle noise somewhere behind the passenger seat. Searching the internet Ive found that this is a common complaint for the F-Type so I know I’m not alone.

Ive taken the car to two separate dealers and all they can manage to do is break or lose clips on the interior pieces as they pull things apart.

I’ve got to solve this problem; it’s driving me nuts. Some people are probably outside of warranty who could benefit from understanding how to resolve it.

1. One person has suggested that this is an issue with the body itself, requiring strip caulk to be applied between two panels. Trouble is, I don’t know exactly where or how to tell if this affects my car.

2. There is no TSB for this that I’m aware of. I have a Mitchell1DIY membership but don’t know if I have all the TSBs that TOPIx has.

3. I’ve taken parts of the interior apart also (replacing the clips the dealer lost along the way) and haven’t found a source for the rattle. Dealerships have blamed a separated speaker and the amplifier mounting but this did not solve the problem.

4. Help!!!

Last edited by hades281; 08-22-2018 at 11:26 AM.
Old 08-22-2018, 01:08 PM
SVR
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm in the same boat. Had my car at the dealer recently to address it. A tech immediately heard it when he went for a ride and mentioned it was likely a loose wiring harness. The work order indicates everything was sorted but the noise is still there.

I've found it is significantly reduced if you push the passenger seat all the way back and/or apply a good amount of pressure to the hard rubber nub/stopper behind the seat.

Old 08-22-2018, 01:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 302 Likes on 173 Posts

What exactly are you looking for in terms of "DIY"? Those panels just remove with a few clips. I would suggest perhaps buying a few sheets of dynamat and stuffing them in there wherever you can.

Old 08-22-2018, 02:01 PM

I need to figure out what’s rattling. If I can identify the loose, vibrating or contacting part then I can isolate or fix it. I’m usually very good at this but I can’t pinpoint this one.

The purpose of Dynamat is to add mass to sheet metal so you can influence its natural frequency. That doesn’t help if I’m hearing something internal to the seatbelt mechanism, or if the problem is further away in the car and resonating in the cabin. I need to find what is making the noise.

Old 08-22-2018, 02:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 302 Likes on 173 Posts

Well, yes, that's why Dynamat is "technically" used for. But if a wire or harness is rattling, taping it to the chassis should help dampen the rattling. I've done this many times with door panels. If it's a seatbelt mechanism, well that's a bit trickier. Good luck.

Old 08-22-2018, 07:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

Could be worse. You could have it on both sides. Like me.

Car gets turned in next spring. Three years of rattling by that point.

Old 08-22-2018, 11:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,261 Likes on 1,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Nati
Could be worse. You could have it on both sides. Like me.

Car gets turned in next spring. Three years of rattling by that point.
and you have definitely, categorically, 100% certainly eliminated the seat belt buckle hitting nearby hard surfaces as the culprit? Because that is the most frequent cause of passenger seat are rattles.

Old 08-23-2018, 01:48 AM
Received 134 Likes on 94 Posts

i'm at 15k kms and starting to get rattles

shame as i was impressed for so long how well it was holding compared to my german cars that rattle driving home from dealer

use the workshop manual to work out how to remove the trim (thanks to member OzXFR)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d52ciochjn...anual.pdf?dl=0

Old 08-23-2018, 02:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Originally Posted by domino_z
i'm at 15k kms and starting to get rattles

shame as i was impressed for so long how well it was holding compared to my german cars that rattle driving home from dealer

use the workshop manual to work out how to remove the trim (thanks to member OzXFR)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d52ciochjn...anual.pdf?dl=0
Funny you should say that Dom, I'm coming up to 47k kms and four years old and no rattles at all.

Old 08-23-2018, 04:59 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sov211
and you have definitely, categorically, 100% certainly eliminated the seat belt buckle hitting nearby hard surfaces as the culprit? Because that is the most frequent cause of passenger seat are rattles.
Yes. It doesn't sound anything like that anyway. It's high pitched. Imagine tapping a screw driver on a cookie sheet.

Old 08-23-2018, 06:34 AM

Definitely not seatbelt buckle related. Nati is correct about the sound - It's either metal on metal (imagine the tip of a nail rapidly striking a piece of thin sheet metal) or metal on glass. It sounds like it could be coming from the B-pillar, the quarter window, the headliner on that side, or where the amp is mounted. I've looked in all of these places though and insulated things with felt tape and haven't resolved it, and the dealer has attempted fixing it twice.

Old 08-23-2018, 09:31 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,112 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Funny you should say that Dom, I'm coming up to 47k kms and four years old and no rattles at all.
Coming up on 47k miles and 5+ years. No rattles, but a slight squeak when the top is up. As the top isn't up much, I don't care much about that.

Old 08-23-2018, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by hades281
Definitely not seatbelt buckle related. Nati is correct about the sound - It's either metal on metal (imagine the tip of a nail rapidly striking a piece of thin sheet metal) or metal on glass. It sounds like it could be coming from the B-pillar, the quarter window, the headliner on that side, or where the amp is mounted. I've looked in all of these places though and insulated things with felt tape and haven't resolved it, and the dealer has attempted fixing it twice.
Personally I think it's in the seatbelt mechanism itself.

Old 08-23-2018, 01:12 PM

If (when?) I take the interior back apart, I will probably unbolt the seatbelt mechanism and shake it to see if there are any loose parts in it.

Unless someone knows the cause I feel like I need to fully disassemble the damn car and shake every piece to see if anything is loose - then make sure it’s reinstallation is completely solid. That’s if the sound isn’t coming from the body itself. ???

Old 08-23-2018, 01:44 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,112 Likes on 1,410 Posts

I don't imagine you can stimulate this 'rattle' with the stereo, using a BT phone app to try specific frequencies. Would make it easier to find if you can make it happen while the car isn't moving.

Maybe a palm sander with no sandpaper.

Old 08-23-2018, 02:15 PM

I can’t generate this rattle with the stereo sadly.

Old 08-24-2018, 07:23 AM
Received 135 Likes on 107 Posts

This has been brought up a few times on the forum... I had the same tapping sound from the seatbelt area on my ‘15 base and current ‘16 R. It was addressed by the dealer and turned out to be loose clips for the package tray mounts. The tech seemed to know exactly where to look so I assume it’s a common issue.

Old 09-05-2021, 05:56 PM
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hades281
I’ve got an annoying, metal-metal or metal-glass tapping/rattle noise somewhere behind the passenger seat. Searching the internet Ive found that this is a common complaint for the F-Type so I know I’m not alone.

Ive taken the car to two separate dealers and all they can manage to do is break or lose clips on the interior pieces as they pull things apart.

I’ve got to solve this problem; it’s driving me nuts. Some people are probably outside of warranty who could benefit from understanding how to resolve it.

1. One person has suggested that this is an issue with the body itself, requiring strip caulk to be applied between two panels. Trouble is, I don’t know exactly where or how to tell if this affects my car.

2. There is no TSB for this that I’m aware of. I have a Mitchell1DIY membership but don’t know if I have all the TSBs that TOPIx has.

3. I’ve taken parts of the interior apart also (replacing the clips the dealer lost along the way) and haven’t found a source for the rattle. Dealerships have blamed a separated speaker and the amplifier mounting but this did not solve the problem.

4. Help!!!
Just posted this, i hope it helps solve your agony as it did my Rattle Fix Passenger Side Rear