F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help Locating Power Source in Drivers Footwell ONLY WHEN KEY ON

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2022, 05:00 PM
Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Need Help Locating Power Source in Drivers Footwell ONLY WHEN KEY ON

I am trying to get a Radenso RC M custom mount radar detector set up in my 2017 Type SVR and I have all the cables run there, but for the life of me cannot find a hot 12 volt power source there that is only on when they key is on. I have tried all of the cables running to the fuse box, most or many of the multiple plug connectors in the area, etc. Has anyone else wired one of these up or found a keyed power source in this area for any other reason? I have searched this forum to no avail plus googled my butt off online. So far no luck. Any ideas anyone?

Old 05-07-2022, 07:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 985 Likes on 565 Posts

I typically use a multi-meter to find them. I do not recall the footwell, but close by is the Fusebox under the hood...I used this one for my Water/Methanol Injection, and it was switched.

DC

The following users liked this post:
bhdau1 (05-09-2022)
Old 05-08-2022, 01:05 AM
Received 170 Likes on 106 Posts

Either do mirror tap for power or central cig lighter are possibilities.

Old 05-08-2022, 02:01 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,512 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Bear in mind that some ignition-switched circuits may stay live for a few minutes after switch-off.

Old 05-08-2022, 06:56 PM

Thank you! That is close enough I think that the power cord to the head unit will reach it as it is just on the other side of the firewall. I may just need to drill another hole there and grommet it and should be good to go. The wire from the front radar head is run thru this same area. Now however I am dealing with another issue totally unrelated, my freaking hood wont open. Pull the lever and nothing happens. Have had my wife and I push down on hood while pulling lever, no good. I took the drievrs side front wheel off and the fender liner out to see is there is an access panel and there is not. Not sure what the hell Jaguar was thinking on this one. The only thing I can figure is if I removed both fender liners and both front wheels I could remove the three bolts per side on the hinge that are accessible this way. That still doesn't get the hood latches undone but might allow me to pivot the hood up some to access them. I think as I am still under warranty for stuff like this Ill just let Jaguar handle it. The only issue for that is the earliest appointment is the 6th of next month!

Old 05-08-2022, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Borbor
Either do mirror tap for power or central cig lighter are possibilities.
The central cig lighter might be a good idea if I can figure out how to remove all the trim around it without breaking things. I am already running two wires along the top of the windshield just tucked up in the headliner and behind the a-pillar cover down to the drivers footwell area for the radar control unit and GPS antenna so its pretty crowded to tap the mirror power. The other issue with the mirror power is the power cord for the head unit is not very long so I would have to splice in more wire which I am trying to avoid. Thank you for the cig lighter suggestion though!

Old 05-08-2022, 11:48 PM
Received 114 Likes on 78 Posts

There is a fused power in the passenger footwell, I have F16 written down in my past notes. I use it to power my dash cam and radar detector.

The following users liked this post:
bhdau1 (05-09-2022)
Old 05-09-2022, 01:42 PM

Ill have to check that out. I didnt know there was another fuse box located in the passenger side footwell. Thank you for the new info!

Old 05-09-2022, 01:45 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,148 Likes on 1,438 Posts

It's under the carpet, under the floor, towards the front of the passenger footwell. I couldn't find it the first time I looked as I assumed it was on the side somewhere.

I've connected to a fuse there to provide power to an aftermarket wireless relay, which shuts of the active exhaust pump so the exhaust valves are always open. I imagine that's switched, but I don't know if I checked that.

Old 05-09-2022, 01:58 PM

The Rock88 and takeapieandrun, Thank you for the suggestions. I just ordered a package of the mini fuse taps on Ebay that should work in either location you guys have given me. Pretty cool little taps if they work as described. I probably could have just rigged the wire into the fuse with some stripped and twisted bare wire but this looks like it might be a little easier and cleaner.
Thx, Brent Day