F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help picking a color!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 10:28 AM
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Need help picking a color!

I haven't been this undecided about anything in a long time.

I can't seem to pick an exterior color for the car. I'm looking for a coupe and from the marketing material Jaguar have created it seems like they are really pushing White. It probably looks the best in that color but I find some other exterior colors also appealing. Help me!!

Here are my choices so far to pick from

Colors used in Jaguar press shots (angles probably look best in them)
Polaris White
Rhodium Silver Metallic

Classier colors
Stratus Grey Metallic
Dark Sapphire Metallic (really like blues, but not sure if the angles look good in this color)

Unknown new 2016 colors
Ammonite grey Metallic
Glacier White Metallic (is this xyrallic paint?)

I can't seem to pick one of those colors and send it over to the dealer. This has never happened before

Help! what do you guys suggest?

Old 11-27-2014, 10:34 AM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

Obviously there is no right or wrong choice in aesthetics. However my opinion is that the 3 best colors are:

1) Polaris White. This color really pops with the black accents and glass roof. I would pair with red leather interior.

2) Lunar Gray. The Lunar Gray with Red Leather interior was the color combination of the concept car and it really looks stunning. Very classy and a little Aston Martin-esque.

3) Salsa Red. Pair this with Black leather with red stitching and belts. I prefer the lunar gray over the silver because to me it has more edge and class. I would steer clear of dark colors - I feel they hide the details of the car.

Last edited by StealthPilot; 11-27-2014 at 11:10 AM.
The following users liked this post:
f_in_seattle (11-27-2014)
Old 11-27-2014, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Unfortunately, only you can do this. I will share my experience with the decision.

My dealer had white, silver, and black candidate cars. They had posted many high-quality photos of each on-line, and I studied them all for a week or so. When I went to the dealer to start negotiating, I had decided it would be silver, if anything.

However, when I saw the white car in person, it took my breath away, and that's what I bought. I need to see candidate colors in person before making that decision.

Old 11-27-2014, 10:49 AM
Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by StealthPilot
Obviously there is no right or wrong choice in aesthetics.

However my opinion is that the 3 best colors are:

1) Polaris White. This color really pops with the black accents and glass roof. I would pair with red leather interior.

2) Lunar Gray. The Lunar Gray with Red Leather interior was the color combination of the concept car and it really looks stunning. Very classy and a little Aston Martin-esque.

3) Italian Racing Red. Pair this with Black leather with red stitching and belts.

I prefer the lunar gray over the silver because to me it has more edge and class.

I would steer clear of dark colors - I feel they hide the details of the car.
I agree regarding the darker colors although the BRG with black/tan interior would have been my second choice.

I choose the Italian Racing Red because it seemed to suit the car. I understand Ian Callum had to fight to even have red as a color option on the F-Type and then decided there should be two red color options - salsa red and IRR. I like the more muted IRR. That being said I went with the Duotone interior (black leather with red inserts) and red stitching plus red seatbelts. Overkill on red maybe but I like it

Need help picking a color!-image.jpg

Old 11-27-2014, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 374 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by f_in_seattle
I can't seem to pick one of those colors and send it over to the dealer. This has never happened before

Help! what do you guys suggest?
I had the same problem. What's the problem specifically? The F-Type looks great in every offered color.

Ultimately, I picked a color of which I have never owned a car in the past of that specific color. I figured I would try to branch out to something new. I still see members' cars here and sometimes want to switch to a different color, but any color you choose is going to look fantastic.

Old 11-27-2014, 11:12 AM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

@lovemonet I just realized after reading your thread that I like the Salsa red better. The brighter red to me suits the sports cars. I though the Italian racing red was Ferrari Red but it obviously isn't.

However I think your car will be stunning and it was a great call to go with the red duotone.

Old 11-27-2014, 11:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,604 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by Mahjik
The F-Type looks great in every offered color.

Ultimately, I picked a color of which I have never owned a car in the past of that specific color. I figured I would try to branch out to something new. I still see members' cars here and sometimes want to switch to a different color, but any color you choose is going to look fantastic.
There is absolutely no right or wrong answer to your dilemma - ha, some dilemma! - as it must come down to personal preference. In my opinion, I would have been delighted with almost any color (combination). As it turned out my dealer had two cars in stock; an "R" in Absolute Black and an "S" in Stratus Gray with Jet Interior w/Camel Stitching. As it was a V6S I was looking for, that became a no-brainer for me. Add to that the fact that I knew my wife would not only love that combination but would prefer it. And you are quite right, Stratus Gray is a classy color.

Curiously, my first new car purchased in 1980 was a splendid Charcoal Gray Mazda RX-7, and then in 1988 I bought a new Jaguar XJ-6 in Dorchester (Dark) Gray.

Good luck with whatever decision you make (like Mahjik says, any color you choose is going to look fantastic).

Last edited by RickyJay52; 11-27-2014 at 11:30 AM.
Old 11-27-2014, 11:56 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Had I bought a Coupe it would have been white with black accents. Love the contrast.

Old 11-27-2014, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 209 Posts

Color is totally subjective so -- sorry to be blunt -- this is kind of a dumb question.

But if it helps, I would strongly recommend going to see the colors in person because the Jaguar paints are very poorly represented in photographs, in the brochure, and in the online configurator.
It's definitely worth a drive down to the dealer to take a look.

This thread may be helpful.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...30/#post936838

Old 11-27-2014, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by schraderade
Color is totally subjective so -- sorry to be blunt -- this is kind of a dumb question.

But if it helps, I would strongly recommend going to see the colors in person because the Jaguar paints are very poorly represented in photographs, in the brochure, and in the online configurator.

+1. Even the marketing photos aren't representative of real world lighting conditions and colors as they are heavily "photoshopped."

Old 11-27-2014, 12:31 PM

I agree, its pretty subjective but its good to see what the general consensus is. Unfortunately all the dealers here in WA dont have the colors I'd be interested in. They seem to have either Orange, Red or Black which I'm not really interested in.

After hearing the opinions here and watching this detailing video. I think its going to be White.

Now the next question is which white? - Polaris or Glacier White

Old 11-27-2014, 02:20 PM
Received 259 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Lovemonet
I agree regarding the darker colors although the BRG with black/tan interior would have been my second choice.

I choose the Italian Racing Red because it seemed to suit the car. I understand Ian Callum had to fight to even have red as a color option on the F-Type and then decided there should be two red color options - salsa red and IRR. I like the more muted IRR. That being said I went with the Duotone interior (black leather with red inserts) and red stitching plus red seatbelts. Overkill on red maybe but I like it

Attachment 101531
Funny, that is exactly as my car is spec'd......maybe one day I will get to see it.

Did you also order the illuminated tread plates, electric lift for the hatch and panoramic roof?

Old 11-27-2014, 05:20 PM
Veteran Member

I agree, its pretty subjective but its good to see what the general consensus is. Unfortunately all the dealers here in WA dont have the colors I'd be interested in. They seem to have either Orange, Red or Black which I'm not really interested in.

After hearing the opinions here and watching this detailing video. I think its going to be White.
ABC Detailing - Jaguar F Type R - Polaris White - New Car Protection Detail - YouTube

Now the next question is which white? - Polaris or Glacier White
Having not seen the new Glacier White, who knows. I can say Polaris White is about as pure white as it gets, and it's spectacular on this car. It also has the advantage of being a non-metallic paint, which makes maintenance and any future repairs or touch-ups simple. Paint match is much more difficult on a metallic paint job. Clear coat paint swirls are also nearly invisible on pure white.

Old 11-27-2014, 05:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

Even though I have Polaris White I actually think the F Type looks better in darker colors. But I like for ease of maintenance. If you like detailing or have access to good detailed I'd go with something dark.

Old 11-27-2014, 08:36 PM
Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

It's hard to keep clean but I love it!
The red is nice. Dealer had a red R but it had the carbon brakes and I didn't want to spend the money and I'm not fond of the wheels with the ceramic brakes

Attached Thumbnails Need help picking a color!-image.jpg  

Last edited by F-TypeRookie; 11-27-2014 at 08:39 PM.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by schraderade

Yes, in person and then just decide ... not sure how picks by other people can help you decide when just about every colour is represented and liked on this site by numerous other people.
Lawrence

Old 11-27-2014, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by shift
Even though I have Polaris White I actually think the F Type looks better in darker colors. But I like for ease of maintenance. If you like detailing or have access to good detailed I'd go with something dark.
you're just making it harder for me to pick white

ldmack3 (11-28-2014)
Old 11-27-2014, 10:32 PM
Veteran Member

Ah heck, just do something different like Firesand. I saw one at the dealer last week while getting an oil change, and had a wow moment. If they'd had that color at the time I was looking to purchase, I would have probably jumped on it.

I've ordered cars before seeing the actual color in person and been a little disappointed. That's why I will no longer purchase any car I've either not seen in person or in dealer stock. It has to "speak" to me up close and personal.

Old 11-28-2014, 01:09 AM
Received 227 Likes on 172 Posts

The very best color for the F Type, as it has been for many, many years, is quite obviously, british racing green

A quite spectacular color that truly shows off the lines and features of the F Type

pembroke (01-17-2015)
Old 11-28-2014, 06:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,604 Likes on 861 Posts

you're just making it harder for me to pick white
Not sure this will help, and I do agree that seeing the colors in person - if possible - is the best way to go.

Color is a funny thing. IN MY OPINION and in general, I have never liked "white" cars, "green" cars, "black" cars, or "red" cars (unless they're Ferraris). I'm 58 years old and have never owned any car in any of those colors, although I have seen many cars over the years, in those colors, which I actually thought looked good if not great.

I'm being sincere when I say that this F-Type looks so fantastic that I would be delighted to own it (or lease it if that's how you roll) in ANY of the colors offered. I too was taken with the "Villian" commercials - too bad they dropped them to be politically correct! - and that gorgeous white "R" Type and do think it looks fantastic. And while the "Firesand" is probably the least likely color I would want, damned if that's not a head-turner (in all the right ways).

Buy the car, enjoy the car. You will not go wrong . Oh yes, one more thing: DONT LOOK BACK. (Take it from a commodity futures broker).

Last edited by RickyJay52; 11-28-2014 at 06:39 AM.

Quick Reply: Need help picking a color!