F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need new tires on my R, any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2020, 09:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by spotnag
understood, but above people mentioned the branded version actually did make a difference as it suits the drive mechanics of the car etc?
yeah...I’ve heard that as well. No documented evidence, though.

Old 03-28-2020, 07:38 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,510 Likes on 1,138 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
yeah...I’ve heard that as well. No documented evidence, though.
I had a Dunlop Maxx replaced after pothole damage and the mobile fitter who came brought a non-J marked tyre. I wasn't happy since I'd specifically ordered the J version but I needed the tyre so accepted it. It had a completely different tread pattern and lasted only about 60% of the distance the J-marke tyre at the other end of the axle achieved. Not impressed, although it did mean that both tyres needed replacing at the same time, so it was convenient from that aspect. And the fitter glibly told me "they're all the same anyway" but they're clearly not. And that's one mobile fitting outfit I'll never use again (etyres, if you want to know).

With regards to Michelin, if there's no J version, there's no point sweating over it.

Old 05-02-2021, 03:38 PM
Received 143 Likes on 72 Posts

What is the best tire in a winter climate for an occasional trip to the grocery store or a random appointment on days when the roads are dry? Can I get through the colder temperatures with the Michelin PS4's or should I just run their "all season" version year round. Vehicle currently has the original P Zeros (over 3 years old) with 7000 miles on them. My goal is to not swap tires twice a year due to the changing seasons and I do not track the vehicle if that helps. Thanks.

Last edited by Portlander; 05-02-2021 at 03:41 PM.
Old 05-02-2021, 05:00 PM
Received 135 Likes on 112 Posts

You can't run a summer tire below 40 degrees. Bad for the tire, bad for your health.

Pitch the P Zeros and be happy you don't have to drive on those ever again. They suck regardless of the weather.

We ran the Bridgestone RE780's this winter and just swapped over to the PS 4S's for the summer. The PS 4S's are incredible.

I keep a set of winter wheels and summer wheels, easy enough to change out.

The following users liked this post:
Portlander (05-02-2021)
Old 05-03-2021, 03:22 PM
Received 141 Likes on 94 Posts

hey guys,
I see Discount Tire is running a sale on Michelin PS4S at the moment ($110 off) but question is, do you guys trust Discount Tire to properly lift your F-Type to perform the work? do you preemptively tell them where our jacking points are? or simply buy tires and take it to the dealership?

Old 05-03-2021, 04:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 561 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by Craaaazzy
hey guys,
I see Discount Tire is running a sale on Michelin PS4S at the moment ($110 off) but question is, do you guys trust Discount Tire to properly lift your F-Type to perform the work? do you preemptively tell them where our jacking points are? or simply buy tires and take it to the dealership?
I got tires from them (they're called America's Tire out here) with no issues.

Old 05-03-2021, 05:06 PM
Received 135 Likes on 112 Posts

hey guys,
Lived a couple blocks from store #1, as in the very first store, in Ann Arbor. Always had great service from them. Quite regularly would walk in with a printed sheet of my tire choice from The Rack and Discount would match it.

We don’t have them here in STL, really miss them.

Last I knew, that had those platforms that raised up and suspended the car from the pinch weld. I’m pretty sure they had rubber blocks laying around they could use to hit your lift points. Definitely talk to the manager and explain your concerns.

Old 05-04-2021, 01:25 AM
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

hey guys,
I had Michelin PS installed on four Corvettes, one SLK AMG, and two F-Types at Discount Tires on Scenic HWY in Snellville. I have never had a problem and they always treated the cars very carefully.

Old 05-08-2021, 09:43 AM

Appreciate the feedback. Had bad luck with one that was the closest to my house (lost little rear bumper trim piece - my fault for not checking prior to leaving, and center hub cover coming loose somewhere soon after a tire rotation on my LX470). That location has since closed and I now go to another that’s a fairly new store a little further away. Went ahead and ordered the PS4S’...now to have fun and do some donuts on existing pzero’s

Old 05-08-2021, 01:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 374 Likes on 280 Posts

hey guys,
I didn't buy my tires from Discount Tire, but I did buy my tires from TireRack and had them shipped directly to my local dealer for install. In short, if you don't trust standard tire shops, your dealer will install non-OEM tires.

If that doesn't work, look for shops that do the cars which run spaghetti sidewalls.

The following users liked this post:
Harold Coates (05-09-2021)
Old 05-09-2021, 12:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have taken past sports cars and just ready to go there for a set for my 2014 F-Type S.

Old 05-21-2021, 08:55 PM

New tires are on. When I checked in, specifically stated my concern about them knowing how to properly lift the F-type. Guy reassured me...if they don’t know, they’ll look it up.

Well, guess what, I pull into the bay and worker just lifts it up without looking or anything, not even rubber blocks. Immediately tell him to put it back down. Problem with their scissor lift is that it’s not long enough to reach both front and rear lifting points. Assuming Discount tire think since their lift is wide and fairly long, that it sufficiently spreads the forces without causing any damage. it’s wide enough that it actually pushes the side skirts up since that is what sits lowest on the car. Do u guys tell em to use manual jacks?

Old 05-21-2021, 10:04 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

speaking unfortunately from experience, a dealer isn't necessarily a safer/more competent choice because its a dealership. lifting the car correctly is a concern though, so its a reasonable starting point. pro tip, pull out your phone and take high frames-per-second footage of your rims before every tire change. its the only sure way..

ps4s is a great tire, had them on my stingray. if the temp gets colder than about 40F more than a handful of times per year, such as SoCal, then you really should be looking at the new Michelin all seasons, the AS4 or whatever it is. PS4S are great but you're leaving some of the awesomeness on the table at lower temps just because its not warm at that time.

Old 05-22-2021, 01:19 AM
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

When I took two of my F-Types and previous AMG and Corvettes to Discount Tires, they didn't use a lift. They took my cars to a bare stall, used manual jacks and then jack stands.

Last edited by O'Dell; 05-22-2021 at 01:22 AM.
Old 05-22-2021, 09:06 AM
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Sorry if this has been discussed earlier in this thread but I noticed your initial comment included "...I need a little more "sticky" in these cooler mountain temperatures." P Zeros and many of the other tires mentioned are summer only - P Zeros say they can crack below 40 degrees and that has been the norm for most of the Ultra Performance Summer Tires I have used on my cars. If your cold weather includes below 40 degrees I suggest you consider a different approach. I have Michelin Michelin PS 3+ AS tires for cold weather but I have not tested the limits of those tires in the cold other than traction in rain/sleet/snow which is pretty good for a relatively high horsepower RWD car.