Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Opinion on Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 12:17 PM
Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Need Opinion on Wheels

Hey Guys,

Need thoughts on this wheel. I love the 3 piece version, but is crazy expensive compared to the 1 piece, but it just doesn't look the same. The pictures are going to be slightly different because these wheels are custom so the owners chose different layouts.

I have a couple other wheels I'm contemplating too, but this wheel looks to stand out the most primarily due to the customization. Here is another picture of it on a Ferrari..

LZ101
3 piece. Custom painted to be displayed on showroom. I absolutely love because it would match my car perfectly.

1 piece wheel, used for 2 years on a Porsche and now sitting in a closet in the basement. He was just showing me the difference in the 1 piece versus the 3 piece because the price difference is crazy. What are your thoughts on this wheel (1 piece)? this wheel is extremely dirty, but would be gloss black and red, the middle would either be the same as the 3 piece or the red Jaguar logo.

Went back today and had them bring the used 1 piece up and clean it up to take another look at the 1 piece. It looks better, but not sure about the inner red ring, that might have to stay gloss black.

Last edited by Smoke Em; 06-06-2016 at 08:33 PM.
Old 06-06-2016, 12:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Not a fan because they are too "gimmicky" with the multi-colors, but I'm more old-school. On the other hand, I am embracing new things like black wheels.

Old 06-06-2016, 12:46 PM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

There's a "depth" you just don't get from one piece rims. If you ditch the multicolor spokes and keep the red inner face I wouldn't mind it. Not really my cup of tea but then again I've purchased tennis ball yellow rims before so what do I know?

The following users liked this post:
Smoke Em (06-08-2016)
Old 06-06-2016, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts
Default please no

Far too ornate for an F.

Look at some of the Forgiato 2.0 styles if you're going three piece. Forgiato F2.09 in carbon for instance.

Also like the Asanti 806 in carbon

Attached Thumbnails Need Opinion on Wheels-img12091_b058.jpg   Need Opinion on Wheels-asanti-wheels-806-copy.jpg  

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 06-06-2016 at 01:07 PM.
Smoke Em (06-08-2016)
Old 06-06-2016, 02:22 PM
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

in the UK ......... we would term those wheels the best of Halfrauds (re Halfords) (a national motor factor renowned for budget cheap looking wheels)

I know they're not cheap but not for me matey - sorry

Smoke Em (06-08-2016)
Old 06-06-2016, 03:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Better suited for a GTR that needs some gussying up.

Old 06-06-2016, 06:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Smokem, your post says there is a picture on a Ferrari. Do you have that? I am reserving judgement pending some photos on a car.

Old 06-06-2016, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by jaguny
Smokem, your post says there is a picture on a Ferrari. Do you have that? I am reserving judgement pending some photos on a car.
Yes sir. These are the same wheel a 3 piece just gloss black with the insert color matched to the cars. I think all gloss black with the red to match the car would look better without the inner red ring. Let me know what you think..Sorry for poor picture quality but Lexani blocks the pics on their site so taking picture of a picture.

LZ101 Orange

LZ101 Yellow

LZ101 Blue

Old 06-06-2016, 09:00 PM
Veteran Member

All black with body color matched inserts is indeed the way to go. Do you have relative weights for the 1pc. vs. 3pc wheel. I would opt for the lightest.

Old 06-06-2016, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
All black with body color matched inserts is indeed the way to go. Do you have relative weights for the 1pc. vs. 3pc wheel. I would opt for the lightest.
Good point. I will take a look now on the weight variance to see how large of a difference there is.

Old 06-07-2016, 05:12 AM
Veteran Member

I think this may be the way to go, but I looked for a configurator app on the Lexani website but couldn't find one. If any f type could support the look of the two tone spokes it would be a salsa or firesand f type. Too much for my taste, but it all depends on what you are looking for. If you like the spokes two tone, get them. Is their a significant up charge to add two tone spokes? If you get tired of them or hated them, you could always paint them. Could be an expensive experiment.

If you have black wheels already, you could try a mock up witth red tape or photoshop them onto your car. I am in favor of getting the closest visual, if possible.

Problem with our cars is they are stunning without much jewelry. I am starting to think the car has too many badges that distract from its looks. Watching with interest.

Old 06-07-2016, 05:15 AM
Veteran Member

More thoughts; these are not unlike the 19 inch orbits. They look good. You may already have your mockup!

Smoke Em (06-08-2016)
Old 06-07-2016, 02:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jaguny
If any f type could support the look of the two tone spokes it would be a salsa or firesand f type.
All black with BRG inserts to match the car would be subtle and classy.

Smoke Em (06-08-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 02:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

I think there are two looks. The 3 colored is a look that my son would put on his car, and clearly could pull i off.

On the F-Types, the all black gloss would look fantastic for a "classier" look, and one that blends into the style/cuts of the car.

Once again, all perspectives, and go with whatever makes your happy. When I first saw the pictures of the rims, I thought, "WOW". After 5 minutes and reading the posts, I thought to myself, maybe I would get tired of this and wish I had a solid glossy finish and let the rest of the car scream for me.

Good Luck!

Smoke Em (06-08-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 05:59 AM
Veteran Member

All black with BRG inserts to match the car would be subtle and classy.
Now Smokem needs to get a BRG f type! Agree that would probably look good as the green won't be overly bright.

Old 06-08-2016, 07:06 AM
Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

Not my cup of tea but it's your car.

Smoke Em (06-08-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 12:51 PM

Thanks everyone for feedback. I'm still on the fence, but I'm leaning toward gloss black and just do the tips in the red which wouldn't be too much and break up the black. I have all black wheel now and I do like them, just think the red would break it up a little. I just don't know, hate these decisions.. The wheels actually come gloss black with aluminum finish tips if I went that route and painted them down the road.

Thank you

slojotaa (06-09-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 10:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Love the black/red combo, was thinking about having my black 20" Kalimnos in a similar manner. Now I'll check them out. Great look, be bold!

Smoke Em (06-09-2016)
Old 06-09-2016, 12:08 AM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Smoke Em
Thanks everyone for feedback. I'm still on the fence, but I'm leaning toward gloss black and just do the tips in the red which wouldn't be too much and break up the black. I have all black wheel now and I do like them, just think the red would break it up a little. I just don't know, hate these decisions.. The wheels actually come gloss black with aluminum finish tips if I went that route and painted them down the road.

Thank you
Smoke Em, Wheels are a very personal choice, and no matter which wheel you post here, you are going to get a broad mixture of opinions.

I've been looking at custom rims for over a year now, every week I find a new favorite, to the point that I'm now convinced that once I decide to pull the trigger, I will find something I like better a week later.

Bottom Line: Go with your gut. Its your car!!!

Here are my thoughts on the Lexani LZ101. Lexani makes a lot of wheels that I like, and they will customize the various painted surfaces more than just about every other wheel provider.
As Jaguny pointed out, this wheel with the contrasting tips on the spokes provides a similar look to the Jaguar Orbit wheels, which are a great looking wheel on the f-type from every picture I've seen. If the Orbits came in a 20" rim, I might consider them. So invoking the look of the Orbit with the Lexani wheel is net positive in any pro vs con decision tree.

I have personally seen this very wheel on a few dozen vehicles around town (no F-Type however), and I will tell you it is an eye catching wheel. The contrasting tips really look smart and attract attention... Especially attractive as the vehicle just starts to move, or is rolling a slow speed. Like most wheels can't really tell much at higher speeds, though this wheel with the red tips may well create a faint red glow in the outer 5"' of the wheel.

With a Salsa Red F-Type, I think this would be a great compliment, so long as you have Lexani match your paint color. If that trim color leans too heavily to the orange of blue side of the red color spectrum, your entire effort will be for not.

Whether or not you elect to also have the interior flange color matched is going to be a bit more of a gamble. Assuming you also have the Red Brake Calipers, the Flange also being red could brilliantly tie the calipers and spoke tips all together. I personally think the Red Flange also adds some 3-dimensional depth to this wheel... On the flip side, there is a chance it could make the wheel too busy, and as pointed out by Jaguny, the F-Type is F-king stunning standing still, it does not need a lot of jewelry.

To your question on 1-piece vs. 3-piece... With virtually every wheel I have seen in both configurations, the 3-piece version looks demonstrably better in every instance. Something about the way the 3-piece all comes together, it universally appears like the edges are more crisp, the fit and style more precise, looks more cut or "engineered" rather than stamped out of a mold. You purchased a beautiful, stylish and expensive automobile, I would not let $1000 per wheel more stand in your way, or cause you to compromise on putting your best F-foot forward.

Last edited by IronMike; 06-09-2016 at 12:13 AM.
Smoke Em (06-09-2016)
Old 06-09-2016, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by IronMike
Smoke Em, Wheels are a very personal choice, and no matter which wheel you post here, you are going to get a broad mixture of opinions.

I've been looking at custom rims for over a year now, every week I find a new favorite, to the point that I'm now convinced that once I decide to pull the trigger, I will find something I like better a week later.

Bottom Line: Go with your gut. Its your car!!!

Here are my thoughts on the Lexani LZ101. Lexani makes a lot of wheels that I like, and they will customize the various painted surfaces more than just about every other wheel provider.
As Jaguny pointed out, this wheel with the contrasting tips on the spokes provides a similar look to the Jaguar Orbit wheels, which are a great looking wheel on the f-type from every picture I've seen. If the Orbits came in a 20" rim, I might consider them. So invoking the look of the Orbit with the Lexani wheel is net positive in any pro vs con decision tree.

I have personally seen this very wheel on a few dozen vehicles around town (no F-Type however), and I will tell you it is an eye catching wheel. The contrasting tips really look smart and attract attention... Especially attractive as the vehicle just starts to move, or is rolling a slow speed. Like most wheels can't really tell much at higher speeds, though this wheel with the red tips may well create a faint red glow in the outer 5"' of the wheel.

With a Salsa Red F-Type, I think this would be a great compliment, so long as you have Lexani match your paint color. If that trim color leans too heavily to the orange of blue side of the red color spectrum, your entire effort will be for not.

Whether or not you elect to also have the interior flange color matched is going to be a bit more of a gamble. Assuming you also have the Red Brake Calipers, the Flange also being red could brilliantly tie the calipers and spoke tips all together. I personally think the Red Flange also adds some 3-dimensional depth to this wheel... On the flip side, there is a chance it could make the wheel too busy, and as pointed out by Jaguny, the F-Type is F-king stunning standing still, it does not need a lot of jewelry.

To your question on 1-piece vs. 3-piece... With virtually every wheel I have seen in both configurations, the 3-piece version looks demonstrably better in every instance. Something about the way the 3-piece all comes together, it universally appears like the edges are more crisp, the fit and style more precise, looks more cut or "engineered" rather than stamped out of a mold. You purchased a beautiful, stylish and expensive automobile, I would not let $1000 per wheel more stand in your way, or cause you to compromise on putting your best F-foot forward.
Great write up and thank you for the pointers. I'm glad you have seen them on a few cars and agree they look fantastic if done properly. Unfortunately I haven't seen them on a car in person just through some pics on the web. Yesterday I had 3 different shops tell me to go with the 1 piece (CSS-15) which is the same exact wheel and I won't notice the difference on a 20" wheel. Now if I went 22" or even 24" then the LZ101 would look fantastic. Like you, I have a tough time picking out wheels because I feel I will find something better, but at the same time I don't like standard wheels. My only question is if Lexani's red is Salsa red. That's going to be the tough thing to find out. Thanks again for all the great feedback.

Thank you

Quick Reply: Need Opinion on Wheels