Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need to replace Parelli 295/30 zr20 on 2016 F-type after 9200 miles

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2019, 03:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need to replace Parelli 295/30 zr20 on 2016 F-type after 9200 miles

H i Everyone,

I need some help on replacement of my stock Parelli tires that came with my 2016 F-Type convertible R after 9200 miles.
I live in Maryland and we have mild winters . I don't drive my F-Type in snow . I was shocked to learn the Parelli stock tires that came with my car 295/30 ZR20 needed to be replaced after 9200 miles . I use the car as a third car and I don't drive it aggressively. . I spoke with Parelli and they told me the tires are unrated and are labeled performance tires . They are only good for summer driving. I would like an alternative all season tire . The dealer mentioned a Michelin and a Continental . Parelli has an all season tire. Any recommendations?

Thanks

Alan Terlinsky

Old 05-27-2019, 04:05 PM
Received 169 Likes on 107 Posts

Continental Extreme Contact DWS or DWS06.

/ End thread.

Old 05-27-2019, 05:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 727 Likes on 500 Posts

If you only want all season the Conti's are well regarded. RickyJay has been running them in Maine year round for quite some time. If your looking for a real 3 season tire get the Michelin PS4S. Puts all Pirelli tires to shame. Great in the set also.

The following users liked this post:
Steineronbass (07-20-2021)
Old 05-27-2019, 07:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbourne
If you only want all season the Conti's are well regarded. RickyJay has been running them in Maine year round for quite some time. If your looking for a real 3 season tire get the Michelin PS4S. Puts all Pirelli tires to shame. Great in the set also.
+1. There were just a couple weeks this last winter I didn’t want to take the car out on the PS4S tires, but mostly because of all the salt on the roads.

If you are anywhere near Silver Spring, go to Radial Tire. They know performance cars and treat wheels with respect. Ask for Paul (owner) and tell them I sent you. Out the door, they’ll match TireRack’s price.

Old 05-27-2019, 07:59 PM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

My stock Pirellis lasted until over 22k miles on my '16 R coupe, and I thought I drove it pretty hard, but your mileage is probably more typical.

Old 05-29-2019, 06:23 AM
Received 253 Likes on 171 Posts

If you want a long lasting tire with very good grip and all season (plus an unbeatable wear warranty) the NItto Motivo is your best choice. Next is the Conti ExtremeContact DWS.
Tire wear is mainly due to driving habits and speed. You still gt twice the miles out of the P-Zero that I got. I have a set of Motivo on a set of wheels that I put on the car when I will be driving in sub 50 degrees weather, I don't drive the F-Type on snow in spite of AWD but I have a number of F-Type friends in VT, MA and NH that switched to them and love them.

Old 08-26-2019, 06:53 AM
Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Are you guys finding the Conti DWS in 295/30 ZR20? I can't seem to locate them anywhere.

Old 08-26-2019, 08:36 AM
Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts

I just put all weather 295/30 20s on my 2017 S AWD.

When you get to a 295/30 20 all weather tire the selection goes way down.
There is too much information and very little knowledge available.
I looked for a long time to find only a few sources.

Then you have to try to understand if there is any difference between all weather and all season.
I never did find a conclusive answer if there is a difference or not and if there is what that difference is.
Again too much information and very little knowledge available.

Old 08-27-2019, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,605 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by David Meier
Are you guys finding the Conti DWS in 295/30 ZR20? I can't seem to locate them anywhere.
From my buddy at Continental Tire:

Jay, we offer the 295/30R/20 in the ExtremeContact Sport which is a UHP summer pattern. Fantastic tire. Also in Conti Sport Contact 5 P & 6 which are original equipment tires likely Porsche or BMW applications. Not currently available in DWS06.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by RickyJay52; 08-27-2019 at 10:20 AM.
Old 08-27-2019, 11:05 AM
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark G
My stock Pirellis lasted until over 22k miles on my '16 R coupe, and I thought I drove it pretty hard, but your mileage is probably more typical.
While cleaning and ceramic coating my rear wheels this weekend I noticed the date on my rear tyres (stock PZeros); manufactured 2012! Now I know my car is relatively low mileage (just over 16k) but who on Earth manages to make a set of rears on a RWD, 500hp car last 7 years and 16k miles? They aren't even close to worn out either but I expect the rubber is way past it's best, probably explaining why I can't stop wheelspinning everywhere even with the DSC full on...

Old 08-27-2019, 01:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by xrix4096
While cleaning and ceramic coating my rear wheels this weekend I noticed the date on my rear tyres (stock PZeros); manufactured 2012! Now I know my car is relatively low mileage (just over 16k) but who on Earth manages to make a set of rears on a RWD, 500hp car last 7 years and 16k miles? They aren't even close to worn out either but I expect the rubber is way past it's best, probably explaining why I can't stop wheelspinning everywhere even with the DSC full on...
It is more likely that the Pirellis were replaced at least once, most recently with heavily discounted tires from overstock inventory sitting on the shelf for 5+years. Otherwise granny owned the car before you did.

Old 08-27-2019, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
It is more likely that the Pirellis were replaced at least once, most recently with heavily discounted tires from overstock inventory sitting on the shelf for 5+years.
That would make more sense. The rubber would still have hardened though wouldn't it? I doubt tyre wholesalers are keeping them UV protected and all the rest. I don't see them lasting much longer anyway. Then I need to decide if I want more grip and follow the Michelin route or stick with slippery PZeroes...

Old 08-27-2019, 03:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 559 Likes on 359 Posts

Does one put Parellis on a Camero?

The following 2 users liked this post by eeeeek:
Lani Kai (08-29-2019), MidLifeinTN (11-26-2019)
Old 08-27-2019, 05:59 PM
Received 224 Likes on 166 Posts
Default Ha

Originally Posted by eeeeek
Does one put Parellis on a Camero?
Not sure, but I hope I am not the only one who cringes every time I see the title.

xrix4096 (08-27-2019)
Old 08-27-2019, 07:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 263 Likes on 203 Posts

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but what Ceramic coating did you put on your wheels?

Old 08-27-2019, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by JgaXkr
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but what Ceramic coating did you put on your wheels?
No problem. I used Feynlab Wheel and Caliper after lurking around in various detailers forums. When it arrived I thought it was a bad joke as the bottle is smaller than some of the cosmetics that the wife wastes a fortune on and I thought it'd never cover 4 large wheels but it really does go a long way. If you are considering it this guy does quite a nice demo on YouTube:

It's only been on for a couple of days and the car has barely moved since so I can't really say much about how it performs just yet but it really looks nice on my freshly treated blades. You really *really* do need to clean the wheels big time before applying though. If there's a tiny bit of crap anywhere on the wheel when you are applying the stuff it'll get picked up and smeared around and then baked hard onto the surface. Luckily my wheels had been recently refurbed so the cleaning was relatively painless. Still it took me about 5 hours per wheel.

JgaXkr (08-27-2019)
Old 08-28-2019, 10:36 PM
Received 100 Likes on 78 Posts

Only getting 11.2K on my PZeros and I don't really beat on it at all!

Old 08-29-2019, 07:18 AM
Received 224 Likes on 166 Posts

No problem. I used Feynlab Wheel and Caliper after lurking around in various detailers forums. When it arrived I thought it was a bad joke as the bottle is smaller than some of the cosmetics that the wife wastes a fortune on and I thought it'd never cover 4 large wheels but it really does go a long way. If you are considering it this guy does quite a nice demo on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wdtk2_VAjpw&t=0s

It's only been on for a couple of days and the car has barely moved since so I can't really say much about how it performs just yet but it really looks nice on my freshly treated blades. You really *really* do need to clean the wheels big time before applying though. If there's a tiny bit of crap anywhere on the wheel when you are applying the stuff it'll get picked up and smeared around and then baked hard onto the surface. Luckily my wheels had been recently refurbed so the cleaning was relatively painless. Still it took me about 5 hours per wheel.
I have been detailing cars for a long time and although I am not an expert in ceramic coatings and application, 5 hours per wheel to coat one wheel sounds extreme; especially when you mentioned that they were already relatively clean. Using a pre-treat and a steam cleaner or some focused high-pressure water would seem to get blades clean enough to coat. Even if you were going to polish up the carbon blade portions, I cannot imagine spending 20 hours on a set of wheels. Am I missing something? The idea of them being hydrophobic is to save time cleaning, but if you save 20 minutes per wash (which is generous) and the product lasts about a year, you would save less than 7 hours (assuming 20 washes per year - 14 hours at 40 washes per years). Not sure what is really being saved at that point.

Old 08-29-2019, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by gg2684
I have been detailing cars for a long time and although I am not an expert in ceramic coatings and application, 5 hours per wheel to coat one wheel sounds extreme; especially when you mentioned that they were already relatively clean. Using a pre-treat and a steam cleaner or some focused high-pressure water would seem to get blades clean enough to coat. Even if you were going to polish up the carbon blade portions, I cannot imagine spending 20 hours on a set of wheels. Am I missing something? The idea of them being hydrophobic is to save time cleaning, but if you save 20 minutes per wash (which is generous) and the product lasts about a year, you would save less than 7 hours (assuming 20 washes per year - 14 hours at 40 washes per years). Not sure what is really being saved at that point.
The 5 hours was including jacking the car onto a stand, which I'd never done before on this car so I was careful, removing all of the blades which I then did a cut, polish and wax on each, cleaning the wheel to the point where I could take it into the house without divorce proceedings, then applying the coating. Coating itself was about 30 minutes. Once that dried and was buffed I reassembled the blades onto the wheel and polished and buffed the tyre. Before putting the wheel back on the car I also installed my new SCC 15mm wheel spacer which has a separate set of lug nuts to torque up and cleaned up the mating hub face with wire wool to make sure it would sit right. I also used wheel cleaner and a good scrub on the red brake caliper and gave it a coat of the Feynlab before refitting the wheel and setting it back on the ground. Along with a few beers as I went that was about 5 hours worth. I wasn't rushing :-)

Last edited by xrix4096; 08-29-2019 at 07:25 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by xrix4096:
andykreb (09-01-2019), Luc Lapierre (09-01-2019)
Old 09-01-2019, 09:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 157 Likes on 129 Posts

Its odd that a lot of these thread on TIRES devolve into a "ceramic coat on WHEELS"? Someone trying to market their products I guess.

Regardless, back to the ORIGINAL PURPOSE of this thread...I am at 14K miles and have nearly hit the wear bars on the rears but the fronts have about 5K left in them.
I live in NC and do drive in snow a dozen or so times a year but I also work from home and have a 4x4 BMW X5 Diesel for our dedicated ski machine so could get away with leaving the Jag in the garage on any snow days should I decide to stick with the stock summer tires.

I have 315/35-20 Coni DWS06s on my X5 but as are all aware, that is too tall for the rears on our cars. As others pointed out, there are very, very, very few 295/30-20s in the ALL SEASON variety for our cars. In fact the only economical option appears to be the Bridgestone Pontenza RE980 A/S for around a grand installed from Discount Tire. I am torn between going that way or just replacing the rear Pirelli P Zeros & then wait until 20K to replace the fronts that are only about 50% worn so they have at LEAST another 5K on them. Anyone out there yet sporting the Potenza RE980 A/Ss?

The following 2 users liked this post by ndabunka:
Harold Coates (05-09-2021), Steineronbass (07-20-2021)

Quick Reply: Need to replace Parelli 295/30 zr20 on 2016 F-type after 9200 miles