Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need winter wheels/tires urgently

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 08:44 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Need winter wheels/tires urgently

Hi all,

I have a 2016 AWD S with the regular black high performance brake and 20'' tornado wheels. Between asking my wife for rides and driving extremely cautiously I somehow survived last winter in Iowa without winter tires. This cannot continue and this year I have to get a set of winter wheels/tires. I am hoping to get 18'' wheels if possible. Can someone recommend a combination with wheels that will clear the brake calipers? Please also provide the sources. Thanks!

Old 12-18-2016, 08:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Pontsu
Hi all,

I have a 2016 AWD S with the regular black high performance brake and 20'' tornado wheels. Between asking my wife for rides and driving extremely cautiously I somehow survived last winter in Iowa without winter tires. This cannot continue and this year I have to get a set of winter wheels/tires. I am hoping to get 18'' wheels if possible. Can someone recommend a combination with wheels that will clear the brake calipers? Please also provide the sources. Thanks!
Although I have parked by F type R for the winter, my XKR did have winter wheels and tires.

At the time I got 'Coventry' brand 19" wheels to clear the front brakes (18 in. would not work) and ended up with Toyo winters. They have good lugs for snow and ground walnut shell for ice etc.. This was over 5 years ago so I'm not sure what Coventry offers now.

They are now on my XE sport and work really well.

In the past I had Nokia hakkas and they where good too.
Everyone has a favorite snow tire I'm sure.. the Toyo's worked well for me.
Lawrence.

Old 12-18-2016, 10:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Pontsu
Hi all,

Which brakes do you have: the high performance or the super high performance brakes?

Old 12-18-2016, 11:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Which brakes do you have: the high performance or the super high performance brakes?
I don't think it matters for wheel fitment Lance.
Both have the exact same 380 mm front rotors, and the rears are 326 vs 376.
It's all about whether or not the wheels will clear the front calipers which are pretty big, the rear 326 and 376 calipers are much smaller and close to the same size, so if the wheels clear the fronts they will clear the rears with ease.
I've never heard of any wheels less than 19" which will clear the 380 mm front calipers.

Old 12-19-2016, 05:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

If you stay with 20 inch I have a set of Nokian Hakka Rs in 8.5 width to sell in great condition.

Old 12-19-2016, 08:10 AM
Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

I have an S with the super high performance brakes. Smallest wheel you can fit is 19".

I have the 20" wheels, and I'm running Pirelli Sottozero in the rear, and Blizzak LM20 in the front. Both in stock sizes.

Old 12-19-2016, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

Regardless of brake option, I don't think you can fit smaller wheels than 19". I have the high performance brakes, which are standard on the S, and there isn't much clearance to speak of. I went with Blizzak LM-32, stock sizes on all four corners. So far so good! I'm planning to get a set of Coventry wheels for the warm weather and I'll leave the stock wheels as my winter set.

Old 12-19-2016, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
I don't think it matters for wheel fitment Lance.
Both have the exact same 380 mm front rotors, and the rears are 326 vs 376.
It's all about whether or not the wheels will clear the front calipers which are pretty big, the rear 326 and 376 calipers are much smaller and close to the same size, so if the wheels clear the fronts they will clear the rears with ease.
I've never heard of any wheels less than 19" which will clear the 380 mm front calipers.
You are correct. I was thinking of the Performance Brakes that are only available on the base model. 19" wheels are definitely the smallest OEM wheels that will fit the AWD S. Unlikely that an aftermarket wheel in a smaller diameter will offer enough clearance either.

Old 12-28-2016, 06:28 PM
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I have now had my Blizzak LM32s on the "new" propeller 19" wheels for three weeks and they've been great with plenty of performance. No problems on black ice; though on the days below -5C I notice a bit of slip, which surprised me given the roads were dry on those days. Nothing concerning, just a bit of fun.
I haven't been able to try them out in snow yet but I was mighty tempted to drive when I had to go to Toronto last week. However, much as I love the car the thought of 18 hours driving (assuming no weather delays) for 6 hours of meetings just didn't make enough sense.

Old 12-29-2016, 12:14 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default wheels for sale, brand new 20" set (all 4) Cyclone Silver

Hi, I have brand new out of the box never used 20" Cyclone silver finish wheels. This is a full set of front and rears. I am willing to sell it for a loss. I bought them on a special deal for $500 each thinking I would use them for winter, but I am now putting my F type in storage. I will sell at a loss for $475 plus whatever shipping you want. Or you can pick them up ( I live in Michigan).
Mike