F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need your opinion: did the dealer lie to me?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 04:07 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Need your opinion: did the dealer lie to me?

I need your help here. I bought a CPO 2015 F Type S sight unseen (I know, I own most of this problem). That said, I had it at a local (different) dealer for a pinion seal leak and I asked about two spots of body misalignment to see if there could be a warranty issue along with the rocker panel paint chipping issue. The response from the Jaguar contracted body shop was that the misalignment was collision related. The car I bought had a clean car fax with no record of accidents.
I spoke to the sales manager and he said it is common for bumper panels to be out of alignment
(I disagree, especially on a 3 year old car that sold for $100k). He said he would look at the pics.
Three questions about which search reveals nothing:
is there a trend of pinion seal leaks?
Is there a trend with misalignment in the two spots shown in the photos?
The sales manager says they meticulously check their cars with paint match, etc. Am I being lied to?
Passenger side alignment
Driver side alignment is good almost 1/2 inch out of whack out of alignment
Green paint on lack trim
Evidence of body work?YRear figment between diffuser and rear bumper

Old 05-19-2018, 04:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,605 Likes on 861 Posts

There have been numerous threads or posts concerning mis-alignment of various body parts of the F-Type (and I’m not suggesting you didn’t search well. Merely stating what I’ve seen).

Having said that, if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...it probably is a duck.

What does your gut instinct tell you? I think the quick answer is they lied to you. (Hope I’m wrong).

Good luck!

Old 05-19-2018, 05:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
There have been numerous threads or posts concerning mis-alignment of various body parts of the F-Type (and I’m not suggesting you didn’t search well. Merely stating what I’ve seen).

Having said that, if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...it probably is a duck.

What does your gut instinct tell you? I think the quick answer is they lied to you. (Hope I’m wrong).

Good luck!
Actually, it would be better if you're right and the car didn't suffer any collision damage. As many of us veteran forum members know, a lot of these cars came off the line with body misalignments, but most are easy to correct (or at least get close).

Old 05-19-2018, 06:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

Another new forum member (like two weeks ago) found out that his used car had been in an accident after buying it CPO. The frame was bent. No accident history reported.

In your case I think it more likely that the panels need to be adjusted but I would have the frame inspected.

Old 05-19-2018, 06:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Is the CPO a Jaguar dealer CPO? If so, is the second local dealer a Jaguar dealer? A Jaguar dealer shop should be able to tell if it's damage from an accident. If it can be shown so, selling dealer is on the hook for it. Another forum member here had bought a CPO car with accident damage and they took it back if I am recalling correctly. If not accident damage it shouldn't have passed CPO either. You are owed by selling dealer regardless.

Old 05-19-2018, 06:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 157 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by BRG4ever
[left]I need your help here. I bought a CPO 2015 F Type S sight unseen (I know, I own most of this problem). That said, I had it at a local (different) dealer for a pinion seal leak and I asked about two spots of body misalignment to see if there could be a warranty issue along with the rocker panel paint chipping issue. The response from the Jaguar contracted body shop was that the misalignment was collision related. The car I bought had a clean car fax with no record of accidents.
I spoke to the sales manager and he said it is common for bumper panels to be out of alignment
(I disagree, especially on a 3 year old car that sold for $100k). He said he would look at the pics.
Three questions about which search reveals nothing:
is there a trend of pinion seal leaks?
Is there a trend with misalignment in the two spots shown in the photos?
The sales manager says they meticulously check their cars with paint match, etc. Am I being lied to?
I don't think that the S version ever sold for "over $100K" but that is really not material here.
Did you buy this from a jaguar dealership because ONLY a Jaguar dealership can CPO a car?

Many people apparently buy from some 3rd-party dealer who bought from an auction and then tosses on some 3rd-party "extended" warranty and promotes them as if they are CPO. A 3rd-party extended warranty from a non-Jag dealer has on such protections against prior damage but a TRUE CPO would. You might have gotten a duck but HOW you got that duck may be THE most important aspect on this one.

Last edited by ndabunka; 05-19-2018 at 07:10 PM.
Old 05-19-2018, 08:01 PM
Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

The panel alignment on these things will never win an Academy Award. Don’t get bothered until you need to be.

Old 05-19-2018, 08:46 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ndabunka
I don't think that the S version ever sold for "over $100K" but that is really not material here.
A '15 V8S could have easily cost $100k and a fully optioned V6S with CCBs could have hit that mark as well.

Old 05-20-2018, 12:23 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
A '15 V8S could have easily cost $100k and a fully optioned V6S with CCBs could have hit that mark as well.
Based on research it looks like the retail price for a well-equipped 2015 v6S was $77K. Only way to have gotten to $100K would have been to have added the carbon breaks but I didn't think they were available then. I didn't consider a v8 version S as my research showed that the coupe was listed as an R in 2015 but I now see that the v8 vert's were still being called S's so perhaps he meant a V8S convertible which could hit $100K to perhaps a bad assumption on my part.

Last edited by ndabunka; 05-20-2018 at 12:32 AM.
Old 05-20-2018, 02:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,490 Likes on 908 Posts

Only way to have gotten to $100K would have been to have added the carbon breaks but I didn't think they were available then.
They are listed on the 2015MY price list but it looks like you could still get there without them:

$77,925 - F Type S with Destination and Delivery
$2,400 - Premium Pack
$2,400 - Vision Pack
$2,700 - Extended Leather Pack
$4,100 - Design plus Black Pack
$450 - HD Radio
$1,200 - Meridian Audio System
$1,200 - Panoramic Glass Roof
$450 - Illuminated Treadplates
$750 - Powered Tailgate
$650 - InControl Apps
$1,500 - Racing Paint
$350 - Seatbelt color (Red, Camel)
$550 - Carpet color (Cirrus, Camel)
$300 - Body‐Colored Roll Hoop Covers
$3,500 - Wheels - 20" Rotor (Forged)
$380 - Space Saver Spare Tire
$6,900 - Red Leather Interior Pack w/ Performance Pack
$107,705 - Total

Old 05-20-2018, 05:20 AM
Veteran Member

Based on research it looks like the retail price for a well-equipped 2015 v6S was $77K. Only way to have gotten to $100K would have been to have added the carbon breaks but I didn't think they were available then. I didn't consider a v8 version S as my research showed that the coupe was listed as an R in 2015 but I now see that the v8 vert's were still being called S's so perhaps he meant a V8S convertible which could hit $100K to perhaps a bad assumption on my part.
MSRP on my '16 V6S was $89,195 (Of course, I didn't pay nearly that). Add 13K for CCBs would have brought it to $102,195. There was virtually no difference between '15 and '16 prices.

Old 05-20-2018, 08:39 PM
Veteran Member

Good god folks you have REALLY taken a HUGE left turn into the tangential twilight zone here. My avatar has never been more applicable to any other thread in here.
Originally Posted by u102768
They are listed on the 2015MY price list but it looks like you could still get there without them:
$77,925 - F Type S with Destination and Delivery
$2,400 - Premium Pack
$2,400 - Vision Pack
blah, blah, blah...LOL
$6,900 - Red Leather Interior Pack w/ Performance Pack
TOTAL - Still in-material
LET IT GO! It appears some here are obsessive to the point of lunacy. NOBODY would EVER any ANY intention of adding all those options simply to drive up the price to over $100K and a number of those cancel other ones out so simply compiling a list of impossible options is pretty pointless. Is it possible to drive the cost of a 2015 v6S over $100K? Who the <blank> gives a <Blank>as such contemplation is NOT RELEVANT to the OP's inquiry. Shesh!

In my original post I pointed out that the actual price point was not of ANY importance and that such price had/has ZERO impact on the original postulations.
Heck, I even provided a mea culpa in the post just above your post stating...
... could hit $100K to perhaps a bad assumption on my part.
Why is it that nobody pays any attention to the ACTUAL important component that was in the VERY NEXT sentence of that original post below...
Did you buy this from a jaguar dealership because ONLY a Jaguar dealership can CPO a car?
The answer to THIS question is all that REALLY matters here. If he did buy from a Jag dealer and it IS a CPO, then he may have recourse. If he bought from any other dealership who claimed the car comes with some type of CPO and/or an extended warranty then the entire playing field changes. Let's stay focused on helping the OP out and stop wandering around in a fantasy land of retail pricing discussion that is counter-productive to his objectives of creating this thread.

..steps off soapbox and unsubscribes for sanity...LOL

Last edited by ndabunka; 05-20-2018 at 09:04 PM.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Before you go deeper that rabbit hole.

Dealer was doing work on my car that required to take nose off (cooling system work). They didn't align it too well putting it back together. My car wasn't ever in an accident and it looks almost as bad right now. I intend to bring it back to the dealer to have them re-align it.

However, green paint on trim is likely sign of accident. They don't usually over spray at the factory.

White stuff is wax or clay bar. It is all over my car as I have detail shop use hard wax instead of ceramic coating.

Last edited by SinF; 05-21-2018 at 07:35 AM.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:01 AM
Received 103 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Suaro
The panel alignment on these things will never win an Academy Award. Don’t get bothered until you need to be.
THIS^^ Bought new (which I only do when I love a car and plan to keep it) and the only disappointment I have had is this. I will try to get some pics to demonstrate (it has a hard time staying in the garage). One would assume a car at this level would be flawless in this area. Absolutely LOVE the car, so would never sell it over this small issue.

Old 05-22-2018, 08:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,490 Likes on 908 Posts

It appears some here are obsessive to the point of lunacy. NOBODY would EVER any ANY intention of adding all those options simply to drive up the price to over $100K and a number of those cancel other ones out so simply compiling a list of impossible options is pretty pointless.
It is just coming in to winter here so I had nothing better to do with my time

Some people have more money than sense and I didn't actually think the option list was totally stupid. I also thought that I had cut the duplicate options out but sorry if I missed one or two.

The following users liked this post:
ndabunka (05-23-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 04:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Has the OP left?

Old 05-23-2018, 05:31 AM

No sir, I have not. Monitoring responses and learning.
vr
Jeff

The following users liked this post:
jaguny (05-23-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 09:28 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BRG4ever
No sir, I have not. Monitoring responses and learning.
vr
Jeff
Good to see you are still here. Can you respond to my inquiry?

Did you:
  1. Buy this from a jaguar dealership because ONLY a Jaguar dealership can CPO a car?
  2. Did you buy from a non-Jag dealer and therefore have some type of Extended warranty that you may have thought was a CPO?
  3. Did you buy from an individual who may have transferred his CPO to you?
  4. Or perhaps something other than these 3 possibilities?

Sooooo... If you did buy directly from a Jag dealer and it IS a CPO, then you may have recourse. If you bought from any other dealership who claimed the car comes with some type of CPO and/or an extended warranty then the entire playing field changes.

re-subscribed

Last edited by ndabunka; 05-23-2018 at 02:06 PM.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:38 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my thread not too long ago regarding miss-aligned panels: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...issues-200350/

I had seen a lot of other threads on it as well. I ended up lining them up myself pretty easily. Just took some looking up and tinkering to get it all in place.

Old 05-23-2018, 03:57 PM

Team, sorry for the delay. I purchased this from a JAG dealer with JAG CPO. My F type is in the shop now because the pinion seal leak fix didn't take. At the same time, I am having the rocker panels painted (TSB warranty issue). I am going to ask the body shop for a written assessment on the misalignment of panels back and front and if they say damage, I am going to take action on the dealer.
v/r
Jeff

The following 3 users liked this post by BRG4ever:
jaguny (05-23-2018), Mbourne (05-23-2018), ndabunka (05-23-2018)