F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 17 R owner - is all the trim in the 'black pack' black?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2017 | 08:47 PM
|
Default New 17 R owner - is all the trim in the 'black pack' black?

Hi All -

So I just picked up a new 17 'R from my local dealer - got a wonderful deal and canceled an order for an '18 TT RS to get this instead - and so happy I did! I knew from the moment I test drove this car that the TT RS was not going to happen and so far I'm not disappointed - its fantastic!!!

I have a couple of questions regarding minor issues, any input would be appreciated:

The car originally did not have the black pack but the dealer installed it for me - interestingly, the trim under the mirror is still silver - could anyone who has a black pack chime in with whether this is normal, or did the dealer forget a piece? I've emailed him to ask, and no response yet!

Secondly, the right hand bumper appears to be slightly misaligned to the hood - not terrible, but noticeable, and everything lines up perfectly on the other side. Should this be considered normal, or should I bring up with the dealer? Coming from Audi, where everything is so precise, I'm curious what people's views are on this. It's tricky to see in the pic below but the bumper is a little 'indented' compared to the edge of the hood

Finally, just a few pics - issues aside, its gorgeous!!!! Totally glad I made this move

Old 08-19-2017 | 09:11 PM
Veteran Member

That piece under the mirror should also be black, definitely.

Old 08-19-2017 | 09:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Agreed. The hood to bumper gap is impossible to get perfect due to the design of the hood. Simply opening and closing it could make it significantly better or worse.

Old 08-19-2017 | 11:03 PM
Veteran Member

Wheel spacers, move front plate to Mike's low plate mount. $300 worth of stuff, and worth it.

Old 08-19-2017 | 11:47 PM
|

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Thanks. yeah figured this was the case. Hopefully dealer agrees as no response in a couple of days!

Old 08-19-2017 | 11:50 PM
|

Originally Posted by Burt Gummer
Wheel spacers, move front plate to Mike's low plate mount. $300 worth of stuff, and worth it.
Thanks -

Planning lowering springs and spacers soon. Trying to figure out wheel/tire situation and incorporate those into the plan also as it will be my daily through the winter.

The dealer already drilled holes into the black trim so I'm debating whether its worth getting the tow hook plate, probably will..

Seeing if I can go a week without starting the mods... ;-)

Old 08-19-2017 | 11:53 PM
|

Originally Posted by Stohlen
Agreed. The hood to bumper gap is impossible to get perfect due to the design of the hood. Simply opening and closing it could make it significantly better or worse.
Thanks! Would you mind explaining this a bit more? Does it not always latch closed in the same place? My first inclination was to try messing with it opening and closing etc but I don't want to make it worse or cause more problems and its really not that bad right now

By the way the first mod I'm planning is wrapping my side skirts black to try replicate your look - looks awesome!

Old 08-19-2017 | 11:59 PM
Veteran Member

Not a tow hook plate, but this http://shop.bigmikesperformanceparts...Type-SNS68.htm

You can probably get bumper plugs or just wrap the bumper to cover holes.

Old 08-20-2017 | 04:07 AM

Welcome OP. Looks great once you get that black pack all finished up!

I was considering a TTRS as well, but ultimately knew I wanted to be back in an R coupe (I previously had a Polaris White '16). IMO, you are definitely correct about the build quality compared to zee Germans! lol. Especially the exterior bits.

Mine is semi-DD, and I too plan on having a dedicated "winter" setup. Have you thought about what you will be running? I'm dropping down to 19" Propeller wheel but the jury is still out whether I will go this time with a dedicated winter tire or a good A/S tire like the DWS06 which I've had in the past (wife currently has them on the X5) or Michelin's new A/S 3+. For my winter needs, I don't really require a dedicated winter/snow tire, and to be honest, the "winter performance" tires IMO, aren't really that much better in the snow than my trusted DWS06.

BTW, when I first saw this pic of yours, it reminded me of a crime scene with the blacked out face and looking like it was roped off! Haha

Enjoy the car in good health!

Attached Thumbnails New 17 R owner - is all the trim in the 'black pack' black?-crime.jpg  
Old 08-20-2017 | 05:09 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Kief
... the jury is still out whether I will go this time with a dedicated winter tire or a good A/S tire like the DWS06 which I've had in the past (wife currently has them on the X5) or Michelin's new A/S 3+. For my winter needs, I don't really require a dedicated winter/snow tire, and to be honest, the "winter performance" tires IMO, aren't really that much better in the snow than my trusted DWS06.
Being that the Continental ExtremeContact DWS06's are on your wife's car, and that you and I "trust" and love them - I not only run them in winter but year-round - and it appears that there's a good chance Continental Tire will be a sponsor of the upcoming 2017 Jaguar Lobster Run...well...you know where my allegiance is (and, no, I am not a paid spokesperson [or shill] for Continental Tire, or anyone for that matter; merely an extremely satisfied customer. For many years).

Oh yes, shahuk: welcome to the Forum, congratulations on your new ride, and Happy Motoring!

P.S. And just a suggestion: take the front license plate off altogether (and keep the plate in the trunk in case...). IMO the car just looks better without a front plate. A former Forum member had a professional fill in the holes drilled by the dealer for the front plate and, like ServPro....like it never even happened. Just a thought.

Last edited by RickyJay52; 08-20-2017 at 05:34 AM.
Old 08-20-2017 | 08:41 AM

I agree, take that front plate off. We're required a front plate here in Texas, but there is no way one will make it on my cars. I've been pulled over once with a warning in my M4. I was very straight forward with the police that I wouldn't drill holes into my car for a plate. He said ok and let me go my way. It's a $200 fine here that I'm willing to pay if I do get a ticket.

Also, welcome to the forum! I also just joined and picked up my R a little over a week ago. Looks quite similar. Mine is Glacier White with Jet/Ivory stitching.

Old 08-20-2017 | 11:40 AM
|

Welcome OP. Looks great once you get that black pack all finished up!

I was considering a TTRS as well, but ultimately knew I wanted to be back in an R coupe (I previously had a Polaris White '16). IMO, you are definitely correct about the build quality compared to zee Germans! lol. Especially the exterior bits.

Mine is semi-DD, and I too plan on having a dedicated "winter" setup. Have you thought about what you will be running? I'm dropping down to 19" Propeller wheel but the jury is still out whether I will go this time with a dedicated winter tire or a good A/S tire like the DWS06 which I've had in the past (wife currently has them on the X5) or Michelin's new A/S 3+. For my winter needs, I don't really require a dedicated winter/snow tire, and to be honest, the "winter performance" tires IMO, aren't really that much better in the snow than my trusted DWS06.

BTW, when I first saw this pic of yours, it reminded me of a crime scene with the blacked out face and looking like it was roped off! Haha

Enjoy the car in good health!
Thank you! And yes, priority is chasing down the dealer for those little black pieces of trim :-) Lol thats funny about the crime scene - I was lucky enough to have them find me a car in port so I was there for it to be unwrapped and then didn't even let them wash it just took it straight to my detailer for polish, coatings etc - thats where I took the pics and behind the red line is where all the cars that are ready for customers are kept!

I am also looking to drop down to 19's. Strangely, in a brief conversation the sales rep at the dealer told me the car can't take 19s due to brake clearance issues, but I'm sure this can't be the case unless the car has carbon ceramics? I'm still new to the brand after a LONG stint with Audis so still figuring all this out but I like the Propellers a lot or even the Ashfords made by Coventry Wheels (owned by TSW?). I ran DWS06 on my S4 and I loved them! Ended up leaving them on the car year-round so I think I'm definitely going to go that route again assuming I can get 19s on the car!

Old 08-20-2017 | 11:52 AM
|

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
Oh yes, shahuk: welcome to the Forum, congratulations on your new ride, and Happy Motoring!

P.S. And just a suggestion: take the front license plate off altogether (and keep the plate in the trunk in case...). IMO the car just looks better without a front plate. A former Forum member had a professional fill in the holes drilled by the dealer for the front plate and, like ServPro....like it never even happened. Just a thought.
Originally Posted by stahlee
I agree, take that front plate off. We're required a front plate here in Texas, but there is no way one will make it on my cars. I've been pulled over once with a warning in my M4. I was very straight forward with the police that I wouldn't drill holes into my car for a plate. He said ok and let me go my way. It's a $200 fine here that I'm willing to pay if I do get a ticket.

Also, welcome to the forum! I also just joined and picked up my R a little over a week ago. Looks quite similar. Mine is Glacier White with Jet/Ivory stitching.

Thanks to you both!

(Lovely looking car. If I had the option of Glacier (which I didn't locally) I'm not sure which way I would have gone...)

I am wrestling with the plate issue - It looks much better without but I know a couple of people who have had issues with this and apparently in MA its a moving violation so I'm not worried about the ticket doesn't really matter but it does bump insurance premiums if you are actually issued a ticket, and my luck with the State Police in particular hasn't been great.. The Mikes Plate might be a good compromise..lets see how bold I get once I've been driving it for a bit..:-)

Old 08-20-2017 | 01:40 PM

Being that the Continental ExtremeContact DWS06's are on your wife's car, and that you and I "trust" and love them - I not only run them in winter but year-round - and it appears that there's a good chance Continental Tire will be a sponsor of the upcoming 2017 Jaguar Lobster Run...well...you know where my allegiance is (and, no, I am not a paid spokesperson [or shill] for Continental Tire, or anyone for that matter; merely an extremely satisfied customer. For many years).
Originally Posted by shahuk
I am also looking to drop down to 19's. Strangely, in a brief conversation the sales rep at the dealer told me the car can't take 19s due to brake clearance issues, but I'm sure this can't be the case unless the car has carbon ceramics? I'm still new to the brand after a LONG stint with Audis so still figuring all this out but I like the Propellers a lot or even the Ashfords made by Coventry Wheels (owned by TSW?). I ran DWS06 on my S4 and I loved them! Ended up leaving them on the car year-round so I think I'm definitely going to go that route again assuming I can get 19s on the car!
Thanks a lot guys, I know I probably should go with the DWS06, but I wanted to give the Michelins a try. Now you have raised my cognitive dissonance! Plus the Contis currently have a rebate on TR....hmm. I really need to find more reviews of how much better the Michelin A/S 3+ are in the snow compared to their previous version which rated poorly.

As for the 19s OP, I can only speak for the Propellers as our R brakes are the same as the optional Super Performance Brakes which was/is an option for the Type S and I got the Propellers off a fellow forum member with the upgrades brakes. Here's a pic of what they would look like:

Attached Thumbnails New 17 R owner - is all the trim in the 'black pack' black?-propellers.jpg  
Old 08-20-2017 | 03:42 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks a lot guys, I know I probably should go with the DWS06, but I wanted to give the Michelins a try. Now you have raised my cognitive dissonance! Plus the Contis currently have a rebate on TR....hmm. I really need to find more reviews of how much better the Michelin A/S 3+ are in the snow compared to their previous version which rated poorly.

As for the 19s OP, I can only speak for the Propellers as our R brakes are the same as the optional Super Performance Brakes which was/is an option for the Type S and I got the Propellers off a fellow forum member with the upgrades brakes. Here's a pic of what they would look like:
Needless to say [re] tires, you should go for what makes you happy. I applaud your curiosity about the Michelins with the one caveat being the previous version was rated "poor?". That's a question, not a comment. It's one thing to go from good to great, but there's no place to go but up if something is rated "poor." In that case, I would definitely go with the known entity or, in this case, tire. Unless the new Michelins get unanimously rave reviews, I wouldn't let curiosity get the better of me. My 2-cents.

I too not only have Propeller wheels - personally, I love them - but a second brand new set (My OEM tires still on them).

Old 08-20-2017 | 04:14 PM

Congrats on the car! 19's will most definitely fit but you'll need to do some research and calculations on brake clearance as well as fender clearance. I plan to go with 19's next year as well (however I don't have R brakes). I would love a functional 19x10 front and 19x11 rear but I don't think I could fit meaty tires on a 10" front so 9.5" will probably have to suffice.

Last edited by FR500GT; 08-20-2017 at 04:19 PM.
Old 08-20-2017 | 08:00 PM
Veteran Member

Hi All -

So I just picked up a new 17 'R from my local dealer - got a wonderful deal and canceled an order for an '18 TT RS to get this instead - and so happy I did! I knew from the moment I test drove this car that the TT RS was not going to happen and so far I'm not disappointed - its fantastic!!!

I have a couple of questions regarding minor issues, any input would be appreciated:

The car originally did not have the black pack but the dealer installed it for me - interestingly, the trim under the mirror is still silver - could anyone who has a black pack chime in with whether this is normal, or did the dealer forget a piece? I've emailed him to ask, and no response yet!

Secondly, the right hand bumper appears to be slightly misaligned to the hood - not terrible, but noticeable, and everything lines up perfectly on the other side. Should this be considered normal, or should I bring up with the dealer? Coming from Audi, where everything is so precise, I'm curious what people's views are on this. It's tricky to see in the pic below but the bumper is a little 'indented' compared to the edge of the hood

Finally, just a few pics - issues aside, its gorgeous!!!! Totally glad I made this move

Are these pictures taken in Andover Mass?

Old 08-21-2017 | 09:42 AM
DJS
Veteran Member

I am wrestling with the plate issue - It looks much better without but I know a couple of people who have had issues with this and apparently in MA its a moving violation so I'm not worried about the ticket doesn't really matter but it does bump insurance premiums if you are actually issued a ticket, and my luck with the State Police in particular hasn't been great.
Four+ years and 37,000 miles later, and no one cares that I don't run a front plate in MA. I was nervous for the first year, but no one notices.

I have a tow-hook plate mount that I use during annual state inspections. Otherwise, no front plate.

Old 08-29-2017 | 12:32 PM

I just pulled the trigger on another set of the infamous Continental DWS06 to serve as my "winter" setup: 245/40/19; 275/35/19 over 19" Propeller wheels.

Discount Tire Direct made the decision that much more easier with their combined Labor Day $75 rebate, Continental $70 rebate, and $25 Ebates cash back! Hurry if interested, as the Conti rebate ends 8/31. I'm a loyal Tire Rack customer, but I just couldn't pass up the combined savings. TR comes with 2yr road hazard included (3yrs cost extra with Discount Tire--I passed on the coverage however), but the Conti's already come standard with a 1yr road hazard coverage.

Needless to say [re] tires, you should go for what makes you happy. I applaud your curiosity about the Michelins with the one caveat being the previous version was rated "poor?". That's a question, not a comment. It's one thing to go from good to great, but there's no place to go but up if something is rated "poor." In that case, I would definitely go with the known entity or, in this case, tire. Unless the new Michelins get unanimously rave reviews, I wouldn't let curiosity get the better of me. My 2-cents.

I too not only have Propeller wheels - personally, I love them - but a second brand new set (My OEM tires still on them).
Let me text you my address so you can send me that shirt

Old 08-29-2017 | 03:36 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks! Would you mind explaining this a bit more? Does it not always latch closed in the same place? My first inclination was to try messing with it opening and closing etc but I don't want to make it worse or cause more problems and its really not that bad right now

By the way the first mod I'm planning is wrapping my side skirts black to try replicate your look - looks awesome!
Because the hood is so big and flexible, if you don't close it just right it can become very crooked. The thing also has almost infinite adjustability, so if its not quite right, you can get it there.

I'd try opening it and closing it by pressing down square in the middle of the hood and see where that gets you.

Also, I appreciate the complement! Several people have gone the wrap method on 16MY+ vehicles; just keep in mind my car came with the 15MY side skirts as delivered, so yours will look a little wider.