Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New '18 infotainment

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 12:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pickup

Originally Posted by myironlung
i wasn't aware 18' ftypes were in supply yet.
I will be picking up 18' R Dynamic in Ontario, Canada tomorrow afternoon. Will try and share my observations.

Old 05-17-2017, 12:05 AM
Received 134 Likes on 94 Posts

the f pace and loaner evoque i've driven with the new wide screen was buggy too

i had to turn the evoque off, get out in rain, lock, get back in because it froze like a ios beta release and i need to use the nav

i agree, the current system is slow but it does work all the time. the new system has a nicer gui but is buggy (in time i'm sure they'll sort it). i wouldn't let it stop me buying a car though

i don't really use the infotainment in the jag, whenever i drive it, it's more for pleasure than utility - i have an m3 with latest idrive for that role and nothing on the market beats their system, so i just typically leave the f-type in the 4 quadrant home screen menu

Name:  EC3C8A2B-E4B5-43F0-B3F7-F7120F6758BD_zpsk86wfuen.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  152.6 KB

Last edited by domino_z; 05-17-2017 at 12:08 AM.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:20 PM
Received 178 Likes on 87 Posts

Not sure what exact changes may be in store for the 2018 F-Type infotainment, but I believe it gets the InControl Touch Pro. I recently picked up a 2017 XF S with the technology pkg and InControl Touch Pro with dual screens.

A huge improvement over the basic system in my F-Type, which I got for its driving experience and rarely use anything but the radio. In the sedan, I have higher expectations and plan to take longer trips where a better system is welcome.

I find the InControl Touch Pro system to be very good (I have not experienced the standard InControl system to comment on the differences). Jaguar obviously got tired of hearing people complain about their slow and antiquated systems and fought back. Boots fast, nice crisp displays, quick touch response, surprising capability, and you can create custom home screens to your liking. For instance, you can add quick touch shortcut buttons for you favorite XM radio stations, most used media, phone, navigation settings, etc. to save a few steps. The number of customizable settings for almost everything is quite nice. Is it perfect, no, but I am pleased and like it better than the BMW 540i I drove recently, as well as my previous BMW’s idrives. Bluetooth and Wi-Fi connectivity have been flawless. My iPhone connects instantly every time. I have not experienced any crashing issues with my system so far. Radio, climate and phone functions all work very well. The InControl remote and route planner iphone apps work great. I connect my iphone’s hotspot to the car and it allows me to view the Jaguar connected navigation using actual satellite maps similar too Google maps…pretty cool. The car will remember your daily commute or routines and even determine whether you have enough fuel for a trip. It will then suggest gas stations along the way with prices or parking locations as well. You can view street level images or 3D buildings in major cities. You can zoom the map display in or out like an iphone or ipad by pinching your fingers. You can use an app like Sygic navigation on the main center display and also run the Jaguar navigation on the display behind the steering wheel and head up display simultaneously. Not really necessary, but I was surprised you could do this. You can update the navigation maps via web download and in-car USB up to 4 times a year no charge for the first 5 years (a 7GB file to download on my computer which took only a few minutes to install via USB in the car…amazing!). Loading MP4 videos, FLAC audio files are no problem and fast. My only complaint so far is that InControl does not recognize the Deezer music app to control on the car’s display screen. This is where Apple Carplay would be nice. I can still use the Deezer app through Bluetooth by controlling it from my iPhone like I do in the F-Type and it works great. I like tech and I am usually an early adopter. Many other cool features are included that make this a very capable system.

As a side note, I also got a 2017 Mercedes E300 for my wife in March, which is an excellent car. Very impressed with the huge high def infotainment screen. It mesmerizes everyone who enters the car. It does not have the customization options and infinite setting options like the Jag, but a nice system in its own way and it has Apple Carplay. What shocks me the most is that it takes forever for the MB infotainment system to boot up initially and it lags at times. A capable system, but they make Jaguar look great in this department. The InControl system in the XF is super-fast, has more features, functions and customization options. I do prefer the touch screen over the rotary dial in the MB.

JLR has made a huge leap forward and it should keep getting better. I am pleased with the InControl system and don’t think you will be disappointed. Besides, you will be too busy romping on the SVR too care and watching for police.

The following users liked this post:
rammer_28 (05-18-2017)