F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 2016 Ftype R Coupe - First weekend impressions

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 09:28 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New 2016 Ftype R Coupe - First weekend impressions

Received a call that my order from March had arrived. Friday I go into the dealership and see them putting in my illuminated doorsills. Car was ready.

Things I like besides the obvious:

1. I can turn on the camera while driving forward.
2. InControl Remote is pretty handy.
3. Like the included maint.
4. Like the Fobs. Remote lights is handy.

Unfortunately the dislike list is much longer.

1. Blind Spot Monitor doesn't beep when I turn on the blinker?
2. No good InControl Apps.
3. Inconsistency with entrance. Sometimes the car horn beeps at open and close but I can't figure out the trigger.
4. No ventilated seats
5. Sonar sensors in front are sporadic. Manual says that you have to press the button to turn on the system for forward? Huh? Ironically, it must be wrong because it does come on sometimes, but if its sporadic how beneficial?
6. No automatic parallel parking - RIP
7. No voice commands. Cycle through all modes and settings takes a bit.
8. Nav is cludgy and no automated sending of directions (like mbrace).

Love the car. Love the sound, the performance, but for 110K I expected a bit more I guess. My CLS63 had many of these things perfect. Will be hard to get used to the absence of these systems.

Old 08-02-2015, 09:39 PM
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by kjolivier

Received a call that my order from March had arrived. Friday I go into the dealership and see them putting in my illuminated doorsills. Car was ready.

Things I like besides the obvious:

1. I can turn on the camera while driving forward.
2. InControl Remote is pretty handy.
3. Like the included maint.
4. Like the Fobs. Remote lights is handy.

Unfortunately the dislike list is much longer.

1. Blind Spot Monitor doesn't beep when I turn on the blinker?
2. No good InControl Apps.
3. Inconsistency with entrance. Sometimes the car horn beeps at open and close but I can't figure out the trigger.
4. No ventilated seats
5. Sonar sensors in front are sporadic. Manual says that you have to press the button to turn on the system for forward? Huh? Ironically, it must be wrong because it does come on sometimes, but if its sporadic how beneficial?
6. No automatic parallel parking - RIP
7. No voice commands. Cycle through all modes and settings takes a bit.
8. Nav is cludgy and no automated sending of directions (like mbrace).

Love the car. Love the sound, the performance, but for 110K I expected a bit more I guess. My CLS63 had many of these things perfect. Will be hard to get used to the absence of these systems.

The car looks great, sounds great and is fun to drive. I've given up expecting the tech on this thing to be top notch. Most of the stuff like you mentioned it there, but is pretty low quality when compared to other manufacturers. The funniest thing was yesterday the backup camera was completely blinded by the sun. I could barely see anything, never was a problem on other cars I've driven and yeah the front parking sensor has a mind of its own (so far I've found it mostly useless).

Like I send enjoy how it looks, drives and makes you feel. Don't expect too much of the tech, its mostly there but even in the 2016 models is low quality and doesn't compare to the best in the industry. Atleast it isn't an Aston Martin which is stuck a decade in the past.

Old 08-02-2015, 10:22 PM
Received 134 Likes on 94 Posts

i have a new audi with all that tech as a daily, self steer, radar cruise, best voice control ive ever used, and it will be hard not having all that features now in the f-type too as ive gotten used to them - especially radar cruise in stop start traffic driving itself

in time i think jag will have to add these to the f-type, along with the 10" screen from the new XJ

the screen resolution isnt the problem, but the back up camera itself - going to see if i can get my audio guy to swap it out for a higher res

Old 08-02-2015, 10:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

I'm beginning to wonder if people who actually enjoy driving a car themselves are an endangered species.

Last edited by Foosh; 08-02-2015 at 10:41 PM.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

congrats. yes, the tech stuff is a little disappointing. I knew this coming in, so my expectations were set.

Old 08-02-2015, 10:48 PM
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
I'm beginning to wonder if people who actually enjoy driving a car themselves are an endangered species.
younger people are just more tech focussed, its not a bad thing

Last edited by f_in_seattle; 08-02-2015 at 10:56 PM.
Old 08-02-2015, 11:18 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I can understand why after coming from one of the big Germans you'd be disappointed with the tech but what you have to remember is whilst the Germans have thing like "vorsprung durch technik" the British have "that'll do".

Thankfully we also have Mike Cross and Ian Callum, I think that's a good trade off.

Old 08-02-2015, 11:36 PM
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Lack of ventilated seats is the biggest disappointment for me - my wife's Ford Explorer has them, why can't a 100K+ vehicle?!

I've noticed that the front sensors come on right after you back up and stay on until you hit 5mph or so. Otherwise, you do have to hit the button for the front sensor - second button from the bottom in the stack just to the left side of your nav screen (I think it's the second button from the bottom? I'm not looking at the car right now so I'm not sure if that's accurate).

Old 08-03-2015, 12:00 AM
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by f_in_seattle
I'm not that young, but I also appreciate the technology. The poor tech is the biggest issue I have with the F-Type as well, especially coming from my last car which has every tech option that BMW offers. But, I knew I'd have to give that up by moving to a high performance sportscar.

Old 08-03-2015, 12:02 AM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

I find it interesting that anyone would wait four or five months to get a car without ever knowing or finding out what features they may expect to see when it arrives. The absence of ventilated seats seems especially odd to overlook. It seems like that long an interval of time could have been used to make sure the car is suitable and/or to cancel the order.

Last edited by Nookieman; 08-03-2015 at 12:05 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Mulmur (08-03-2015)
Old 08-03-2015, 12:31 AM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

LOL, washed my ol' 90s 5 speed 300ZX today.

It has a key (no remote), power windows and I think thats about it...

Old 08-03-2015, 01:06 AM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

The only thing I really pine for is ventilated/cooled seats. To my mind they should be at least optional on every convertible. Or at least make it the cold version of MB's AirScarf or whatever. I have no problem staying hot, I do have an issue keeping cool.

Old 08-03-2015, 01:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by Merlin
I'm not that young, but I also appreciate the technology. The poor tech is the biggest issue I have with the F-Type as well, especially coming from my last car which has every tech option that BMW offers. But, I knew I'd have to give that up by moving to a high performance sportscar.
A great driving car and technology features are not mutually exclusive. Call me greedy, but I want a great driving car and the latest technology. You can have your cake and eat it too! My impression is some of the missing features is just a cost thing. And some of the tech stuff is because JLR is not the most tech savvy manufacturer.

Old 08-03-2015, 05:34 AM

JLR do have the tech in the Range Rover products, they just haven't integrated into the f-type - retrofitting stuff like radar cruise with modern canbus cars is not that easy once the car has already been designed, however stuff like nav screens menus and graphics are just software uploads

would take a pretty big facelift for jag to add these systems now

what frustrates me is when the manufacturer does have the tech in other model lines but fails to add it. similar issue with my R35 GTR, our australia/jdm spec didn't (and still doesn't) have an auto dimming mirror and parking sensors yet the 370Z does, just didn't make sense

the only competitor i can think of that has all latest 'driver assistance' tech is the AMG GT, designed much later than the f-type - in comparison my SLS doesn't have any driver assistance aids

Last edited by domino_z; 08-03-2015 at 05:37 AM.
Old 08-03-2015, 06:30 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by f_in_seattle
I'm very tech-focused in my work environment, and in my home. However, in my car, I don't care and focus exclusively on the driving. I enjoy doing everything myself. I've never had the cruise control on, and I rarely use the sound system. Even though it's an auto, I'm manually shifting with the paddles 99% of the time.

buickfunnycar.com (08-03-2015)
Old 08-03-2015, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Foosh
I'm very tech-focused in my work environment, and in my home. However, in my car, I don't care and focus exclusively on the driving. I enjoy doing everything myself. I've never had the cruise control on, and I rarely use the sound system. Even though it's an auto, I'm manually shifting with the paddles 99% of the time.
i was once like you

until i discovered stop and go radar cruise control

the irony is taking that out of driving in traffic allows you to concentrate more on the road and your surroundings and makes you calmer overall

i'm talking strictly to/from work grind driving that is

Old 08-03-2015, 08:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

I don't think the lack of technology is a problem with the car itself, but rather the expectations of the driver. A true sports car (even more so now with the manual available) is always going to be on the low end of technology. Can you imagine how much the F Type would weigh with ventilated seats, crash avoidance, ACC, etc? I never expected a car of this nature to have any of these things. Those technology features are the type of things you'd expect in a performance saloon, not a sports car. Granted it's another level, but you don't get most of these features in ferraris or Lamborghinis either.

I think the car is worth $110k based on the chassis and the design, and the addition of these features would only inflate the price further.

CamryGuy (08-04-2015)
Old 08-03-2015, 08:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Stohlen
I don't think the lack of technology is a problem with the car itself, but rather the expectations of the driver. A true sports car (even more so now with the manual available) is always going to be on the low end of technology. Can you imagine how much the F Type would weigh with ventilated seats, crash avoidance, ACC, etc? I never expected a car of this nature to have any of these things. Those technology features are the type of things you'd expect in a performance saloon, not a sports car. Granted it's another level, but you don't get most of these features in ferraris or Lamborghinis either.

I think the car is worth $110k based on the chassis and the design, and the addition of these features would only inflate the price further.
Agree... my Jag XKR had cooled seats, but it was not really a sports car, much more of a GT than my F type R. Both great cars but the F is the best I've driven or ridden in for overall experience... at this point.
Lawrence.

Old 08-03-2015, 08:52 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stohlen

Precisely, and I wish it had even less. What I wanted was the lightest car possible, which I got in my no-option, base car. However, I would love to have deleted the nav and infotainment system and a few other odds and ends.

Ideally, it would be another 300-400 (3100-3200 dry) lbs. lighter, but that's not attainable as long as the employ decade-old, heavier components from the JLR parts bin. Now granted, I did add some extra weight when I upgraded to 20" tires and wheels, but I did that for both aesthetic and handling reasons.

Old 08-03-2015, 11:02 AM
Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

Guess I'm with Nookieman and Foosh on this one. Pine away! There are plenty of other cars to consider. You guys should be writing to JLR to express your interests. Good luck.

For me, I grew up in a sports car. Heck, the new technology was roll-up windows, you know the kind that you crank by hand, self-cancelling turn signals, and you didn't have to manually crank the engine to start it (but the crank hole was still in the grill). It actually has an electric motor to start the engine. Infotainment was a folded paper map is you got free at the gas station, and a transistor radio you carried in with you, which was a real upgrade from the old crystal radio, or actually taking with your passenger. But yes, real leather seats; that was not new, that was since forever. Zero to 60 in 10.0 secs flat; that's flying. Color? red of course. My I loved that car, still do, still have it, and it still drives pretty good, too.
My new F-Type is due soon. They tell me it has a transmission that actually shifts all by itself. What will they think of next?

Quick Reply: New 2016 Ftype R Coupe - First weekend impressions