F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 2016 Ftype R Coupe - First weekend impressions

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

Indeed, the F-Type has way too many unnecessary options/features that just adds weight and distracts from the pure driving experience. When I'm driving I don't listen to the radio (let alone satellite radio). I don't use the AC or heater, preferring nature's breeze, even when it's 110 degrees. AC just saps power from the car. I don't even look at the speedometer because I only use the tachometer. And of course traction control completely off. My GF likes to come along for a ride sometimes, but I never let her in the car because it'll distract me and add 110 pounds of weight, which upsets the driving dynamics of the car. I've even debadged my car to save a couple of ounces.

Old 08-03-2015, 11:42 AM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by meefer
The only thing I really pine for is ventilated/cooled seats. To my mind they should be at least optional on every convertible. Or at least make it the cold version of MB's AirScarf or whatever. I have no problem staying hot, I do have an issue keeping cool.
I wish I had them too. It's no surprise that they are saving some desirable options for later. De-contenting early versions is a classic way to sell more cars later in the development cycle.

Old 08-03-2015, 11:44 AM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by shift
Indeed, the F-Type has way too many unnecessary options/features that just adds weight and distracts from the pure driving experience. When I'm driving I don't listen to the radio (let alone satellite radio). I don't use the AC or heater, preferring nature's breeze, even when it's 110 degrees. AC just saps power from the car. I don't even look at the speedometer because I only use the tachometer. And of course traction control completely off. My GF likes to come along for a ride sometimes, but I never let her in the car because it'll distract me and add 110 pounds of weight, which upsets the driving dynamics of the car. I've even debadged my car to save a couple of ounces.
LMAO. I went the other way and added weight to the trunk (spare tire, 12v vacuum, torque wrench) to improve the front/rear balance.

Old 08-03-2015, 12:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by mjm3457
Guess I'm with Nookieman and Foosh on this one.
I concur. The radio works just fine and they could have just permanently tuned everything to dynamic mode. I like the switchable exhaust, but I had that 40 years ago in my mustang courtesy of J.C. Whitney. Having a GPS of any quality is a negative. I can't claim to have gotten lost when I want to enjoy the "long way around".

Last edited by Unhingd; 08-03-2015 at 12:20 PM.
Old 08-03-2015, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
I'm very tech-focused in my work environment, and in my home. However, in my car, I don't care and focus exclusively on the driving. I enjoy doing everything myself. I've never had the cruise control on, and I rarely use the sound system. Even though it's an auto, I'm manually shifting with the paddles 99% of the time...
LOL...that's me to a "T". I've never used the CC,barely ever use the stereo and I use the paddles almost exclusively...

Old 08-03-2015, 01:18 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

1. Blind Spot Monitor doesn't beep when I turn on the blinker?
2. No good InControl Apps.
3. Inconsistency with entrance. Sometimes the car horn beeps at open and close but I can't figure out the trigger.
4. No ventilated seats
5. Sonar sensors in front are sporadic. Manual says that you have to press the button to turn on the system for forward? Huh? Ironically, it must be wrong because it does come on sometimes, but if its sporadic how beneficial?
6. No automatic parallel parking - RIP
7. No voice commands. Cycle through all modes and settings takes a bit.
8. Nav is cludgy and no automated sending of directions (like mbrace).
From what I gathered on these:
1. Thought this happened when you actually started to maneuver, though I also haven't had much issue - I check my mirrors and see them light up.
2. True that. The current crop of ICAs is pretty weak, and I'm hoping for better ones.
3. Mine only beeps when getting out/locking doors if I try to lock them while I'm doing something the car doesn't like (car still on, another door still open, etc...) - It never beeps when getting in. I can force it to beep with the key fob.
4. Yeah, sad, but hasn't been much of an issue for me - camel seats don't get as hot as black.
5. The front sensors never come on unless either you go into reverse first or you press the button to turn them on.
6. I'm actually good with parking my own car... It's not difficult and I don't have to worry about software failures of any sort.
7. I found the settings menus quick and easy to maneuver - I was moving over from Ford's first generation Sync system though, where the audio detection was terrible and the on-screen menus were worse. Sync G1 was atrocious.
8. Yeah - this is one thing I really hope to see an app of some sort for - getting a destination entered from my phone is FAR faster than using the screen, so I'd love to be able to just enter it and send that content to the built in nav... or better yet, mirror something like GMaps so I have better mapping data.

Old 08-03-2015, 02:38 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nookieman
I find it interesting that anyone would wait four or five months to get a car without ever knowing or finding out what features they may expect to see when it arrives. The absence of ventilated seats seems especially odd to overlook. It seems like that long an interval of time could have been used to make sure the car is suitable and/or to cancel the order.
Agree. I knew about several of these, but overlooked and assumed on a few others such as the lack of lane departure warning system. Assumed blind spot monitor was the same thing.

Old 08-03-2015, 07:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by kjolivier
Agree. I knew about several of these, but overlooked and assumed on a few others such as the lack of lane departure warning system. Assumed blind spot monitor was the same thing.
Keep your eyes on the road. Best lane departure warning system known to man. Lane departure warning is intended for those who drive while intexticated.

Old 08-03-2015, 07:11 PM
Received 121 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by lhoboy
intexticated
Love this term, first I've heard it!

Old 08-03-2015, 07:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by lhoboy
Keep your eyes on the road. Best lane departure warning system known to man. Lane departure warning is intended for those who aren't driving because they are intexticated.
I fixed it for you.

Old 08-04-2015, 03:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Replaced my 2011 XJL with a 2016 F-Type R. I loved my XJL, but this car is on a completely different level. I did not use half the tech in the XJL and do not use a third off the tech in my wife's 2015 Escalade. I can never remember whether any car has cooled seats or heated steering wheel. The drive and sound on this car is pure joy. It is also nice not to see your car everywhere. The only thing I dislike about this car is when I reach home or to work, I have to stop driving it.

Old 08-04-2015, 09:31 AM
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Nookieman
I find it interesting that anyone would wait four or five months to get a car without ever knowing or finding out what features they may expect to see when it arrives. The absence of ventilated seats seems especially odd to overlook. It seems like that long an interval of time could have been used to make sure the car is suitable and/or to cancel the order.
I don't think anyone waiting that long "overlooks" the absence of ventilated seats. I believe that drivers and buyers of this car are willing to sacrifice certain features because it has so many other qualities to love. Once you have connected emotionally to a vehicle like the F-Type, it's hard to listen to that pragmatic part of the brain that tells you it's lacking a feature you'd prefer to have. The upside to getting it anyway is just too great to cancel the order.